Torpedo Captor 8 or 16 Ohm for Friedman JJ Junior

• Thread starter Deleted member 27935
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27935

I want to buy a Friedman JJ Junior and a Two Notes Torpedo Captor for home recording purposes.

The output impedance of the amp is switchable from 8 to 16 Ohms. Now I have to choose between an 8 or a 16 Ohm Captor... would there be any difference? Would choosing the 8 Ohm option result in a higher (or lower) output level? Would there be any difference soundwise? Any effects on the saturation / headroom of the power amp?

I once had a Peavey 6505 Mini Head. It was 20 Watt - like the Friedman JJ Jr. - and I used it with a Koch Dummybox resistive load box. I remember that I had to crank the power amp of the 6505MH much more than I liked soundwise to get a usable recording level into my DAW. Might be different with the Captor, but I am a little concerned that I might run into the same problem with the JJ Jr./Captor combination. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

Jason Wilding":2vtdrqoi said:
What rating is the cabinet you use?

Hey Jason, I'm in the same boat. I actually just bought a Captor X for my rockerverb mkiii. Unfortunately my cabinet is 16 ohms... Can I still use it or will it damage my amp?

Back