VAN HELLION...ALLOW ME TO PICK YOUR BRAIN

jelyfinger

Hi there! I know your are succesfully using the G System & ISP Decimator and need your input on a couple of things. What was the reason you aquired the ISP with your set-up? Did you have an unacceptable amount of hiss/floor noise with the G System? Do you have a total serial set-up as far as routing? For me, the G System has far too much noise to be acceptable, I love the effects and everything else about it but need to do something about the noise. Do you still have a very natural sound without chopping notes like a noise gate? Your input on the ISP/G System would be greatly appreciated! ;) Cheers!

actually i had a very low noise floor with the g system BUT i wanted the isp in the rack just in case for poorly wired venues, i play proffesionally in many outlets from country road player to studio player. im currently touring in place of Brad Noah in the christian metal band Disciple, and i just need the security blanket of the isp and it has come into effect more than once, especially on outside festivals with a ton of lights onstage. To answer your questions: you might be running into a ground problem with the g system. i have instrument cables connecting everything as normal but each time the signal passes to a new piece of gear in the chain i lift one end of the ground on the cable. Buck from isp advised this, it seems alot of the big boys like Lukather use this trick in their elaborate rigs to reduce hum. i use the decimator with the extra output, if you contact isp they will gladly walk you thru the wiring of this rig, their customer support is top notch. also for the best sound of the g system turn the boost function on and set the levels to 10db for every patch, as their "boost" is nothing more than a signal loss and when you turn the boost on it allows the full signal to pass thru. Resulting in the purest tone of the amp. i run everything in the seriel loop, Peter outdid himself on the quality of the loops. Also if you need the boost use the second master on the amp. with herberts two master volumes their is no need for another boost anyway as it is already on the amp. hit me up if you need anything else.
best of luck
Andy Wood

van hellion":c8e32 said:
actually i had a very low noise floor with the g system BUT i wanted the isp in the rack just in case for poorly wired venues, i play proffesionally in many outlets from country road player to studio player. im currently touring in place of Brad Noah in the christian metal band Disciple, and i just need the security blanket of the isp and it has come into effect more than once, especially on outside festivals with a ton of lights onstage. To answer your questions: you might be running into a ground problem with the g system. i have instrument cables connecting everything as normal but each time the signal passes to a new piece of gear in the chain i lift one end of the ground on the cable. Buck from isp advised this, it seems alot of the big boys like Lukather use this trick in their elaborate rigs to reduce hum. i use the decimator with the extra output, if you contact isp they will gladly walk you thru the wiring of this rig, their customer support is top notch. also for the best sound of the g system turn the boost function on and set the levels to 10db for every patch, as their "boost" is nothing more than a signal loss and when you turn the boost on it allows the full signal to pass thru. Resulting in the purest tone of the amp. i run everything in the seriel loop, Peter outdid himself on the quality of the loops. Also if you need the boost use the second master on the amp. with herberts two master volumes their is no need for another boost anyway as it is already on the amp. hit me up if you need anything else.
best of luck
Andy Wood

Thanks andy...I appreciate your input! When you say you lift the ground on one end of each cable, do you actually disconnect the ground? Isn't that unsafe? I am with you on the G System boost...it just attenuates the signal and releases to full strength when the boost is activated. When you said " set the levels to 10db for every patch" were you refering to the global input level? Thanks bro...Kevin

yeah just lift one end of the cable every time you connect to a new piece in the chain. i hope its safe and it has been so far :) actually Buck at isp advised me to do this, he does it on all of the rigs he puts together. just remember only lift it onec i.e. when you go from the g system to the amp for the first time lift it there NOT when you return like a loop. only do it when their is a new pice of gear introduced in the chain.

oh and the level i was referring to was how much it allows you to boost. i dont remember where in the g systems menu that is, but when you edit your boost level if it allows you to go to 10 db your good, if not just search thru the levels till you find it. like i said its the parameter that allows how many db's are "boosted"
good luck
Andy W

Back