Clean Tone With Amp And Captor X?

Torren61

Am I the only one not able to get a good clean tone from my amps and the Captor X? It seems like the amp is driving the Captor X hard. The thing is, I'm using different amps with the same results. The lowest watt amp is an Emery SuperBaby. I swapped out the 12AX7 for a 12AT7 but it's still crunching. Don't get me wrong, the crunch tones are marvelous and add in my Forza overdrive and my Tsuchi Fuzz and it's KILLER tones but I don't want something that's just a one trick pony. I want some clean tones. Crystal clear cleans.

I toggled between the high and low inout levels. Same results. I've adjusted the guitar volume, amp volume, Apollo Twin volume, Captor X volume. I've used different guitars.

Any suggestions? I'm listening.

Torren61":3vzys2np said:
Am I the only one not able to get a good clean tone from my amps and the Captor X? It seems like the amp is driving the Captor X hard. The thing is, I'm using different amps with the same results. The lowest watt amp is an Emery SuperBaby. I swapped out the 12AX7 for a 12AT7 but it's still crunching. Don't get me wrong, the crunch tones are marvelous and add in my Forza overdrive and my Tsuchi Fuzz and it's KILLER tones but I don't want something that's just a one trick pony. I want some clean tones. Crystal clear cleans.

I toggled between the high and low inout levels. Same results. I've adjusted the guitar volume, amp volume, Apollo Twin volume, Captor X volume. I've used different guitars.

Any suggestions? I'm listening.

You're not alone. I have a regular Captor 4ohm and still struggle with clean tones on an older mesa. The output stage basically experiences a higher end "clipping" that is fairly noticeable with the clean chan. This may or may not be what you're experiencing. The following link from Peter Thorn was helpful with things to try.

https://www.celestionplus.com/news/pete ... eaker-irs/

I'm very happy with the snappy glassy harmonic clean tones I'm getting. Make sure your amp is good at cleans. I've found that playing thru a interface helps with the cleans. See if keeping the volume low on the amp helps. Pre-gain low. One of my setups is a Vox AC15 HW that I play through the normal channel with the volume low. If your amp has a high and low input choose the low one. On the Captor X choose the "In "Level of low. Make sure pedals aren't contributing gain. Also a strat has less gain; so too a Gretsch. Everything contributes to a good clean. I use a Deep Six compressor to tame the gain. And I use overdrive pedals for the extra gain. Some impulses are better than others for clean. I use the Captor X along with an amp set to clean as a clean platform tool. Here's a demo I did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsaH0xHNh0A

Back