BE-100 Deluxe vs JEL-100 Plexi Channel

MourningEngine

Hi guys,

I wonder if there is a sound difference between the Plexi channel on the BE-100 Deluxe and the JEL-100?

Best regards
Markus

I would be shocked if they weren't exactly the same.
If they are different, there are likely only minor circuit tweaks, and I doubt you could tell the difference unless you had the amps side by side.
Dave has a number of proven, good sounding circuits, and tends to not stray too far off the beaten path with new amps. They tend to be different combos of features vs anything radically new.
There are far bigger fish to fry feature-wise with your decision whether to purchase a JEL or BE100 Deluxe.

Thanks fusedbrain for your response.

I already have a BE-100 Deluxe and think about adding a JEL-100 to my collection mainly because of Ch2 that isn't another variation on the BE circuit. :confused:

No, JEL ch2 is a tweaked Dirty Shirley preamp, which is a lightly tweaked JCM800 circuit.
Dirty Shirley has tube-rectified JTM45 style power section, and JEL is traditional 800 style 100watt power section, both with Friedman "adjustments"
As prices for original 800s from late 70s and early 80s continue to rise, the case for spending the $$ on brand new Friedman version ( JEL ) with added features makes more and more sense.

It's only a handful of changes to turn a 2203/JCM800 into the JEL ch2. I did it to my '80 JMP one weekend morning.

Back