Newbie question about Captor 8 and head amp

djayart

Hi guys i have a question.
Is it normal to having distorted sound coming from my SLP 1959 Head when using it with the Captor 8? It sound like the same sound coming from the captor 8
I think it's ok but i want to be sure. ;)

My signal chain > Gibson SG > Schaffer Replica (clean booster pedal) > Marshall SLP1959 (Loudness 1 at 5) (Loudness 2 at 0)> Captor 8 > CabM+ > UAD Apollo interface

Thank you

Hello

yes it is normal to hear your sound coming out of your amp. You are hearing the output transformer of your amp. As you are playing silently you now can hear this soun, which is usually covered by the sound coming out of the cabinet.

dilhoo":17sdz141 said:
Hello

yes it is normal to hear your sound coming out of your amp. You are hearing the output transformer of your amp. As you are playing silently you now can hear this soun, which is usually covered by the sound coming out of the cabinet.
Thank you dilhoo

Plugged in my Mark V with output @ around 1:00 PM (~60w from 90w that I need to tame - if the pot is linear)
Captor is connected to the amp and XLR cable is going in my audio interface where my headphones are plugged in. That's where I also provide phantom power to the Captor cab-sim circuitry.
When I strum or riff, the fan goes up like crazy and the Captor (8) acts as a small speaker. I listened closely and the transformer doesn't 'sing'. The Captor does.
Is it normal?
Thanks

Hello

hearing your amp through the Captor is absolutely normal. When you use your amp with a cabinet, this phenomenon is also present in the amp, but the volume level of the cabinet drowns this sound.
As for the fan , yes, it is absolutely normal. The fan is powered by the incoming amp signal, and the fan keeps the Captor cool. If the incoming signal is very high, there is plenty of energy that is dissipated through the load box, and the fan turns to lower the temperature so you can keep on playing.

Back