Linux portage for Torpedo Remote ?

BatmansRigTalk":10ivbbq5 said:
Linux people should experience days of running SGI Unix systems for graphics. When Apple and Windows started doing it we were so happy because it was cheaper and eventually faster. The bottom line there is that multimedia on Apple or PC not Unix based systems is how it evolved to get better because it allowed more people access to develop more stuff. I love Linux for what it does but if you want cutting edge multimedia then Windows/Apple is where it is at.

Mac is UNIX. Windows, Mac, and Linux developed the way they did because of the consumers they were targeting. That gap has been narrowing for a while now.

Torpedo Remote and the associated Two Notes applications are very nice pieces of software, certainly cutting edge in many ways for guitarists and the industry. I'd hesitate to say it's cutting edge multimedia overall, however. The system requirements for these are all pretty reasonable. It's essentially proprietary GUI based eq adjustments with some hardware interface options. Linux runs some of the most complicated machines in the world, it can handle this too.

BatmansRigTalk":2h0x0pdp said:
I love Linux for what it does but if you want cutting edge multimedia then Windows/Apple is where it is at.
Ehrm; what would you call "cutting edge multimedia"? A DAW? Linux has that covered, and way better than Mac or Windows in terms of latency, reliability, and maintainability. The only thing that sucks is that there is a lack of pro-audio plugins for Linux available, but that is also shifting.

Linux is perfect as a consumer desktop, especially for the less tech-savvy as it's very low maintenance and "just works".

... except for propriety software like the Torpedo Remote. :(

Let me sum it up for you. The Linux community isn't exactly well known for being an artist community. Since Linux is the community that will explain why it lacks so much in this particular field of artistic content creation. Apple always had it. Windows got when it was powerful enough to run SGI software along with AutoDesk and Corel improvements. Linux basically cloned a bunch of Windows sound engineering software and nothing has changed much since. It makes no sense to be running Linux for multimedia creation especially if it involves plug-in devices that sound engineering almost inevitably will be using. I have been a Slackware user and have used a bunch of other distros, but when it comes down to multimedia creation, I simply have no use for it in a project because at some stage you meet that wall and it usually kills off what you intended to do. The community just isn't there for it, IMO. So even if you have this software on Linux, eventually you find something that won't. It is just the reality of it. If I could use Linux for everything I do, I would, but several pieces of hardware don't have linux software and some software I use isn't on Linux or a good clone. So virtualizing is the only way there too.

RME has had a Linux forum since at least 2007, well before their recently announced support for the Babyface due up in Linux 5.8: https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewforum.php?id=10

Reaper is on Linux: https://www.reaper.fm/download.php

So however small or large the community may be, it isn't too small for RME or Reaper. The Linux artist community has made substantial contributions as well. For example:

TuxGuitar is a very popular tablature program (with "Tux" referencing the Linux penguin:) https://sourceforge.net/projects/tuxguitar/

Ubuntu Studio has been available since Ubuntu 12.04 and is a recognized flavor of Ubuntu with a low latency kernel for recording: https://ubuntustudio.org/

Guitarix is a virtual amplifier for Linux: http://guitarix.org/

There are much more of course, these are just the ones that come to mind as I'm typing.

lockingtuner":135h6lr2 said:
So however small or large the community may be, it isn't too small for RME or Reaper. The Linux artist community has made substantial contributions as well. For example:

TuxGuitar ........

There are much more of course, these are just the ones that come to mind as I'm typing.

There isn't much more than what is on Apple and Windows because Linux doesn't have the community for it. Not size but actual multimedia creation communities. That is something it needs to start with. What you might want to say is, "all I need is this Two Notes software and my Linux project is done". That would be great. However, in reality 99.9% of us don't end just there. Eventually, we hit the wall and here is the thing... we avoided buying hardware that you should have gotten in the first place but it didn't have Linux support. We avoided software we should have... etc.

That is why if people are into multimedia creation content they avoid Linux unless they absolutely know the support is there for it from day #1 and not to expect updates and upgrades. Linux as a platform is something you aren't supposed to upgrade much. You get a working system and except for security patches and driver updates you keep the system as is so that it doesn't fail. So even Linux as a platform means finding a specific distro catered for upgrading like a multimedia system. The community is even smaller again.

That is why multimedia content creation is firmly in the domain of Apple and Windows. They did this on purpose to compete. I have been a fan of Linux for a long time. Use Slackware and other distros but in the end I would never recommend multimedia creation and linux to anybody because you could end up costing them money. That's the reality of it. So I am not against Two Notes doing more Linux software, it is just putting Linux on par with the other OSs in this field is simply not going to work out.

BatmansRigTalk":1fg7dfzz said:
lockingtuner":1fg7dfzz said:

TuxGuitar ........

There isn't much more than what is on Apple and Windows because Linux doesn't have the community for it. Not size but actual multimedia creation communities. That is something it needs to start with. What you might want to say is, "all I need is this Two Notes software and my Linux project is done". That would be great. However, in reality 99.9% of us don't end just there. Eventually, we hit the wall and here is the thing... we avoided buying hardware that you should have gotten in the first place but it didn't have Linux support. We avoided software we should have... etc.

Then I think you're addressing something other than what has been expressed in this thread. We would just like to see Two Notes and other companies offer some Linux support.

Just a friendly reminder that both Wine and VirtualBox still can't find the Revv D20. Installation went fine, application is showing it's interface, but it never detects the D20. :cry:

Hello

thank you for the friendly reminder :)
Unfortunately, we are not able to put part of the software team to make the compatibility of Remote under Linux. But I'll forward your request to the software team nonetheless.

dilhoo":176crheg said:
Unfortunately, we are not able to put part of the software team to make the compatibility of Remote under Linux. But I'll forward your request to the software team nonetheless.

Please do!

PS: I've tried both the stable (5.0.2) as the experimental version (5.19) of Wine.

Back