Friedman JJ-100 - Vox top boost sound on clean channel

Fox77

Dear all,

I've been playing and loving my JJ-100 for several years now and it is has basically killed my amp GAS. At least for high gain.

What I still need is a Vox-type of edge of break-up / overdriven sound. Since the JJ's clean channel is always said to be AC30-like but doesn't do break up, has anyone tried and found a pedal that would give me that kind of AC30-ish overdriven tones? I'm aware of the limitations due to differences in pre- and power amp tubes etc. but ballpark would be enough for me :)

Many thanks and have a nice weekend!

I find that throwing on my buxom boost in front of the clean channel drives more break up on my jj-100 than it does on say my jj junior or my buxom betty combo... And I try to run my JJ-100 as clean as I can on that channel.

Check out a Pigtronix Class A Boost if you get a chance; they can be had for cheap and will Vox-ify almost any amp. Killer pedal

Fox77":2663vwn4 said:
Dear all,

I've been playing and loving my JJ-100 for several years now and it is has basically killed my amp GAS. At least for high gain.

What I still need is a Vox-type of edge of break-up / overdriven sound. Since the JJ's clean channel is always said to be AC30-like but doesn't do break up, has anyone tried and found a pedal that would give me that kind of AC30-ish overdriven tones? I'm aware of the limitations due to differences in pre- and power amp tubes etc. but ballpark would be enough for me :)

Many thanks and have a nice weekend!

John Shanks has a great AC like to with his amps. Check out Bon Jovi's This house is not for sale song. (That's probably the only new Bon Jovi song I liked in the past 20 years)
I was able to recreate pretty close it with my BE100 Clean channel. It needs a compressor, and Nobels ODR1/Wampler Belle and a clean boost.
Basically the guitar goes into a compressor, in my case a Cali 76 deluxe, than into an ODR1 with mild overdrive, and hits a Bogner Harlow mainly for volume boost hitting the amp's input.
The compressor tames the initial attack and even out the sound bringing up harmonic content, the ODR1 enahances it with gaining up the extra harmonics, the boost just hits the front end.
https://youtu.be/_aOQJUY5BKY?t=561

Back