Phantom power between Diezel and other units

The Udo

Hey everybody!

I saw a really cheap Engl midipedal Z-12 back here in sweden. Got some questions to you guys! First and formost, does it even work? It should right? And second...the VH-4 powers the Colombus so you don´t have to have a seperate powersupply...does this go for all pedals? I would love to have the colombus but don´t have the money :no:

1. Engl units
Engl units don't follow the "standard" wiring for phantom power and because the question came up several times now (Z11/Z12 <---VH4 or Columbus <--- Engl head) - here's a chart for you or your techs. . . (yeah, the Diezel has 7 PINs, but 1/6 and 3/7 are parallel . . . )
Its much easier to mod the Diezel (VH4 or Columbus) - their jacks are PTP wired, the Engl footswitches (at least those I've seen) are (tiny :D ) PCBs, so . . . just a wire between 2 and 3 inside the Diezel unit.

2. Nobels units
MF1 and MF2 follow the "standard" and don't need to be modded. Both run off phantom power.

3. Midi Cables
Make sure that your midi cable has 5 wires inside.
We have realized that even expensive brands don't have them, some just have three wires (but still 5 PINs on the jacks) - go figure . . . I do know for sure that Thomann's cheap brand is working flawlessly. Rocktron cable also is fine

Olaf

Attachments

• engldiezel.gif
    engldiezel.gif
    18 KB · Views: 3,122
Hi duesentrieb,

so, just to make sure,
all I have to do to use phanton power with the ENGL Z-12 and VH4 is to sold a wire between pin 2 and 3 on the VH4?
will it be OK to have pin 2 and 3 "powered" at the same time?

thanks!!!

I think so. The next time I have a VH4 around (my neighbour has one and a Z11 I think) I'll post more info - and a pic.
Please gimme a week or two, ok?

duesentrieb":3gmk1cbh said:
1. Engl units
Engl units don't follow the "standard" wiring for phantom power and because the question came up several times now (Z11/Z12 <---VH4 or Columbus <--- Engl head) - here's a chart for you or your techs. . . (yeah, the Diezel has 7 PINs, but 1/6 and 3/7 are parallel . . . )
Its much easier to mod the Diezel (VH4 or Columbus) - their jacks are PTP wired, the Engl footswitches (at least those I've seen) are (tiny :D ) PCBs, so . . . just a wire between 2 and 3 inside the Diezel unit.

Does this mean that without modding the Z12 should work when used with an external power supply?

Greetz,
kickapoo

I have bought a Rolls MP 80, it has 5 pins.
Does this mean I can use it with a 5/5 pin cable into the Herbert(7pins) and the phantom power will work ? Or do I need a 5/7 pin cable ?

Danke,
Sascha

duesentrieb":2s72h0wp said:
(yeah, the Diezel has 7 PINs, but 1/6 and 3/7 are parallel . . . )

if the rest is wired correctly, yes

@kickapoo: yes. but you can also build an adapter for use with z12: 1 MIDI plug socket, 1 MIDI jack, 1 five-wire cable, soldering iron

Diezel side -- Engl side
1 -- 1
2 -- 3
3 -- 2
4 -- 4
5 -- 5

elfredoo":3g794h2j said:
@kickapoo: yes. but you can also build an adapter for use with z12: 1 MIDI plug socket, 1 MIDI jack, 1 five-wire cable, soldering iron

Diezel side -- Engl side
1 -- 1
2 -- 3
3 -- 2
4 -- 4
5 -- 5

Thx, the important part for me is that the Z12 will at least work with an external power supply, since I get the VH4 and Z12 on Friday and will run it on a gig on Saturday, so that will do just fine for me :thumbsup:

Greetz,
kickapoo

better less pins for the female thing than other way round :LOL: :LOL: ... :D ... :yes: ... :) ... :scared: ... :confused:

@kickapoo: now THAT is cold blooded ;) there shouldn't be a problem... but never say never, read through the part in the manual about how to get the right midi-channel communication. i had no problem switching using the g-system

elfredoo":17n0ltmt said:
better less pins for the female thing than other way round :LOL: :LOL: ... :D ... :yes: ... :) ... :scared: ... :confused:

@kickapoo: now THAT is cold blooded ;) there shouldn't be a problem... but never say never, read through the part in the manual about how to get the right midi-channel communication. i had no problem switching using the g-system

Originally i wanted to pick up the VH4 on Monday, because I thought it would be too 'risky' to already play a gig without really knowing this beast........but then I thought 'What the heck, let's do this'.....I will have a little sexy time alone with it on Friday, before we load our stuff into the cars for Saturday. Before this I'll have a trip of 500 kilometers (total) ahead of me in order to get it (buying a used one).

Good point with the manual. I took a look at the german manual of the VH4 on the Diezel Page, but it doesn't explain the Midi-Assign-Procedure, but the english one does :confused: Well, no problem, mine inglish iz varry gooed :LOL: :LOL:

Greetz,
kickapoo

Back