Egnater Clip Collective

John, overall how do you think the Eggie cabs compare to the Ear Candy cabs? I ask because i have the Buzzbomb but would consider an Eggie, but I would probably get speakerleass because the Sugar Cones are so darn amazing. Sure, they cost $250 a piece but wow.

Do you know the dimensions? I wouldn't mind an EGgie 112 and 212. One thing I think I would like about the Eggie 212 is it is tall like the VHT Deliverance cab I saw. Somtimes a taller cab can give a bigger, more resonant tone even compared to a really deep cab like the Rectifier or Buzzbomb. I just can't afford it now nor justify it since I have an Ear Candy Buzzbomb and Boa.

richedie":31d8s1rf said:
John, overall how do you think the Eggie cabs compare to the Ear Candy cabs? I ask because i have the Buzzbomb but would consider an Eggie, but I would probably get speakerleass because the Sugar Cones are so darn amazing. Sure, they cost $250 a piece but wow.

Do you know the dimensions? I wouldn't mind an EGgie 112 and 212. One thing I think I would like about the Eggie 212 is it is tall like the VHT Deliverance cab I saw. Sometimes a taller cab can give a bigger, more resonant tone even compared to a really deep cab like the Rectifier or Buzzbomb. I just can't afford it now nor justify it since I have an Ear Candy Buzzbomb and Boa.

I hear you on the last one! I don't have the Egnater cabs yet, so I really can't give you a meaningful comparison. Don't they have the weights and dimensions on the website? If not, those dudes are lagging! Anyway, I guess a cab should be viewed according to how it sounds/disperses/mics on stage/studio/bedroom. I like how the Earcandy Buzzbomb performs in all these combinations, but I was most impressed at how well the Egnater 1x12 dispersed, sounded, and at low NAMM levels in a very noisy environment. I'm thinking that due to it's increased size, the Egnater 2x12 may sound a little bigger than the Earcandy Buzzbomb, but I just don't know for certain.

Hi John, I liked the Buzz a lot at rehearsal, studio work and jamming/gigs, etc. I heard it from the audience and thought it sounded, full, thick and robust with the Egnater MOD 50. I like that it is smaller and easy to transport. Then I have the Ear Candy Boa as well for home and something different.

However, the Egnater 212 would be interesting as long as it isn't quite as large as a 412, is it? It would be a bit lighter due to less speakers....but still. The 112 looks interesting though!

I jammed with a guy who ran a Marshall 412 next to the Buzz and I had a harder time keeping up but I thnk a number of things happened. I was using the MHG and I think it lacks cut next to a Marshall and I had 5881 tubes which lack mids next to a Marshall. A different module and EL34s should make a different.

richedie":1jf3c41l said:
Hi John, I liked the Buzz a lot at rehearsal, studio work and jamming/gigs, etc. I heard it from the audience and thought it sounded, full, thick and robust with the Egnater MOD 50. I like that it is smaller and easy to transport. Then I have the Ear Candy Boa as well for home and something different.

However, the Egnater 212 would be interesting as long as it isn't quite as large as a 412, is it? It would be a bit lighter due to less speakers....but still. The 112 looks interesting though!

I jammed with a guy who ran a Marshall 412 next to the Buzz and I had a harder time keeping up but I thnk a number of things happened. I was using the MHG and I think it lacks cut next to a Marshall and I had 5881 tubes which lack mids next to a Marshall. A different module and EL34s should make a different.

You will only need the Eg5..not need to change the tubes also!

The MHG is going out tomorrow! I am changing tubes because I hate 6L6s and 5881s remind me too much of those tubes. I couldn't even stand the E34Ls by JJ because they as well had more bass and highs, like a 6L6s. Back go the EL34s. :)

There isn't a El-34 tube you could pay me to use. Miles who does work for GT told us he cant even recommend a durable El-34 tube. They are horrible in terms of durability right now. Hopefully the "relablers" will make some good one's in the near future. Like I have said before Sovtek 5881 are hands down the most durable tube on the market...for say the last 20 years.

I hear ya Jeff, but tone and feel are king for me...not durability. I can not get on with the 5881s one bit. I hate 6L6 tubes so I have no choice but to use EL34s and I am happy. :) Feel and sound better for me...
Never had a problem with my JJs.

Hey John--
Love your clips man--thanks for posting!!

Would you mind sharing some of your settings?

I'm especially interested in the T/D, SL2 and EG5 modules.

Thanks again!

Mercury25":229givif said:
Hey John--

Thanks again!

Thanks! Here are the clock positions listed in this order: A gain, B gain, Bass, Middle, Treble, A Master, B Master, Bass Boost, Bright.

T/D: 1, 11, 10, 2, 2, 1, full, 1, 2

SL2: 3, 12, 11, 1, 12, 11, 11:30, 1, 2

EG5: 12, 11, 12:30, 11:30, 11:30, 11, 11, 1, 0

Power amp settings really vary with situation. In the studio right now, I have the modules in the M4 hitting the power sections of the MOD 50s - one with 5881 for T/D, VOX, COD and the other with EL f(*&ing 34s for Marshall country! :LOL: :LOL: Master is cranked, low power setting, stepping gain down with master on M4) I have found that I don't like what power attenuators do the feel.

https://www.soundclick.com/util/getplaye ... 18827&q=hi

Hey guys,

Here's a rough draft of a tune I'm working on - trying to get ready to re-record with the band soon. Although some of the playing...blah, blah, blah...cough, cough, cough...etc., I think it shows some nice tones you can carve out of the SL2. If you like rock (duh), you pretty much should at least consider this module. A bit rounder and warmer than the EG5 with more percussiveness.

Hey Jeff-

What about creating a "sticky" thread that everyone could post their settings for all their modules?

Just a thought...

Thanks!

John Czajkowski":661zcnrh said:
Mercury25":661zcnrh said:
Hey John--

Thanks again!

Thanks! Here are the clock positions listed in this order: A gain, B gain, Bass, Middle, Treble, A Master, B Master, Bass Boost, Bright.

T/D: 1, 11, 10, 2, 2, 1, full, 1, 2

SL2: 3, 12, 11, 1, 12, 11, 11:30, 1, 2

EG5: 12, 11, 12:30, 11:30, 11:30, 11, 11, 1, 0

Power amp settings really vary with situation. In the studio right now, I have the modules in the M4 hitting the power sections of the MOD 50s - one with 5881 for T/D, VOX, COD and the other with EL f(*&ing 34s for Marshall country! :LOL: :LOL: Master is cranked, low power setting, stepping gain down with master on M4) I have found that I don't like what power attenuators do the feel.

Thanks for the settings tips John. I wish I could use different power amps. With the MOD 50 I have to settle on either 5881s ot EL34s. Unfortunately it is hard to get away from the Marshall flavor of EL34s. I like most of my gainy tones going through EL4s but the cleans suffer a wee bit, not bad though. I actualy was getting good cleans live with the EL34s but with the BMan I need to have the channel volume cranked!

richedie":r9l9qnai said:
Thanks for the settings tips John. I wish I could use different power amps. With the MOD 50 I have to settle on either 5881s ot EL34s. Unfortunately it is hard to get away from the Marshall flavor of EL34s. I like most of my gainy tones going through EL4s but the cleans suffer a wee bit, not bad though. I actualy was getting good cleans live with the EL34s but with the BMan I need to have the channel volume cranked!

No problem man, I actually started recording some low gain clips today on the EL34s and then switched to the head with 5881s cause it was just better for these, but when I get to the Marshally meat-eater stuff, I'll probably go back to eth EL34s. We'll see.

John,

This is really a great thing that you've done here. I listen to this stuff everyday. Fantastic tones and playing. The video of your band is great too, you make a lot of music for just three guys. You can go seamlessly between rhythm and lead just like Morse. And the way you bridge and mute with your right hand looks exactly like Morse too. Did that happen naturally? It works - everything is very clean. Thanks again.

bscfo1":ujg1fesy said:
John,

This is really a great thing that you've done here. I listen to this stuff everyday. Fantastic tones and playing. The video of your band is great too, you make a lot of music for just three guys. You can go seamlessly between rhythm and lead just like Morse. And the way you bridge and mute with your right hand looks exactly like Morse too. Did that happen naturally? It works - everything is very clean. Thanks again.

Thanks, hope it helps. Ya, I've spent lots of time learning Steve's material. Steve, EJ, Henderson, etc. are my big influences.

John,

Which higher gain module cuts the best for you in a live situation when playing rhythm?

And which one does it best for lead?

I want to buy something higher gain then my SL2 but I don't want something too dark. I like the presence and sizzle of the SL2 but with more gain. Thanks.

Back