Anyone want to be a part of the PUP shootout?

AmpliFIRE":z0v2rplv said:
you definitely need to get some Anderson's there as well. H2+, H3, H3+ or HN3
No doubt! If I had to pick one, it would be the H2+. You may get Tom to send one himself (or show up) if you ask him on the Anderson forum (he's there a lot).

I could pull one out of a mutt if you can't get one otherwise...let me know.

do yourself a favor and install some form of quick connectors on the guitars and the pickups. it will make swapping them much faster and easier. fewer burned up pots, too.

titanamps":2grrxd7x said:
do yourself a favor and install some form of quick connectors on the guitars and the pickups. it will make swapping them much faster and easier. fewer burned up pots, too.

What are those? Link?

I'm tentatively looking at doing this Monday night and all day and night Tuesday May 4th and 5th. I've had a few more manufacturers contact me about sending pickups. This is gonna be crazy!

Also I need a tech for the day. If anyone knows anyone in LA that would want to work this with me I will pay them. Basically installing pickups and tuning guitars. ???

Also I need to know the system I need to get so I don't have to soldier every pickup to the pots. Someone had mentioned a clipping system. ???

I will use a multi mic system on every track; 57/421 - API 312/Neve 1073
The tracks will be crystal clear. I'm thinking a verse and chorus of 2 songs and a 1 minute solo guitar playing some rhythm and lead. One of the songs is a funkier rock tune, the other is drop tuned heavy chunking. It should give everyone a good scope of each pickup. Not sure on the amps yet, possibly my 71' Super Tremolo (Friedman 'Brown Eye') for the funkier tune and either my Herbert or my 77' JMP (Friedman BE, Custom 45, HBE) in Hairy Brown Eye mode for the heavy tune. Maybe a multi amp with my 2 channel Recto rack. Not sure yet. No matter what is used it's gonna be mind-blowing for anyone looking at buying a pickup. I will upload hi res mp3's and also have full band width protools files.

Cabs will be a straight Uberkab and straight Orange (V30's).

Heavy Tune:
http://www.jameslugo.com/sounds/james_lugo2_around.mp3

Funkier Tune:
http://www.jameslugo.com/sounds/james_lugo2_blinded.mp3

:rock:

IMG_2049.jpg

IMG_2050.jpg

IMG_2047.jpg

Shootout date:

Monday May 4th 7pm till...
Tuesday May 5th 11am till...

If you are shipping pups get them out asap so they are here in time and email me tracking numbers. This is gonna rock. WB and Walker Pickups just contacted and are sending a slew of pickups. I just started organizing what I have laying around the studio that aren't in guitars:

Gibson BurstBucker Pro - Gibson 57 Classic - Duncon Custom - Duncan Custom5
IMG_2052.jpg

I can tell you first hand that the Walker pickups kill!!! I dig them and can't wait to hear what you think! :rock: :rock: :rock:

Wow, the emails and calls are tumbling in like crazy. There are going to be so many pickups, my head is spinning. :no:

James Lugo":29y1llg1 said:
titanamps":29y1llg1 said:

What are those? Link?

http://www.guitarpartsdepot.com/Accesso ... CTIVE.html

I think you could make something like this so you just plug the pickup in. This would make changing them out much faster.

It's a idea anyway. If you have that many pickups.

Is there someone else that makes something like this ?

It's all coming together guys, a bunch of pups shipped today. Dave Friedman is on board and gonna help out, thanks Dave.

I have done some monster mic, mic pre, compressor and plugin shootouts but this is the most complex shootout ever but I don't think I've ever been so excited about a shootout before and honestly I think the guitar world needs this, a real full blown pickup reference; same day, same player, same amp, same guitar, same mic, same mic pre, same cab, same song etc...

This is for you guys!

:rock:

This is going to be very cool, lots of pup suggestion replies are going to change after this shootout :thumbsup:

I have my money on one maker's stuff doing very well, clear and very articulate :yes:

Back