Anyone want to be a part of the PUP shootout?

mrbobo":h8cqn5nt said:
What a great job! Thanks !!

They all sound good. Of the clips, I like the MCP 2nd degree blackbelt best. I'm surprised I don't prefer a hotter PUP, I think that 2nd ' BB is like an overwound PAF, 9 or 10k?? ..live and learn... it sounds great at all drive levels ... Thanks again James!

Bobo, I am getting a set of these for my LP. Wade said it's around 8.5K. He also said it will do pretty much everything from blues to high gain. Here's a few quotes from his e-mail. I don't think he'd mind me sharing:

"Thanks man. The Secind Degree is killer for everything really. Specs are 8.5k Amer. Alnico 5 magnets, Plain Enamel wire- All custom Metal componients ( all the pickups are actually)."

"The second degree is just a badass really- It can handle the really high gain with ease and the blues."

I've asked him what to expect as to the difference from the current Burstbuckers 1&2 in my VOS to the Black Belt. I haven't heard back. I'm giving him a call today though. I'm pumped to try them out. I also loved the tone on that clip.

Buckeyedog":fo5stsog said:
mrbobo":fo5stsog said:
What a great job! Thanks !!

They all sound good. Of the clips, I like the MCP 2nd degree blackbelt best. I'm surprised I don't prefer a hotter PUP, I think that 2nd ' BB is like an overwound PAF, 9 or 10k?? ..live and learn... it sounds great at all drive levels ... Thanks again James!

Bobo, I am getting a set of these for my LP. Wade said it's around 8.5K. He also said it will do pretty much everything from blues to high gain. Here's a few quotes from his e-mail. I don't think he'd mind me sharing:

"Thanks man. The Secind Degree is killer for everything really. Specs are 8.5k Amer. Alnico 5 magnets, Plain Enamel wire- All custom Metal componients ( all the pickups are actually)."

"The second degree is just a badass really- It can handle the really high gain with ease and the blues."

I've asked him what to expect as to the difference from the current Burstbuckers 1&2 in my VOS to the Black Belt. I haven't heard back. I'm giving him a call today though. I'm pumped to try them out. I also loved the tone on that clip.
:D I've only heard the clips from the 2nd Degrees but that was enough,as I put the Blissbuckers in my VOS and I now judge everything by this,sucks but true :LOL: :LOL:

Hey guys I'm in Barcelona and just got an email from my engineer in LA and he said the Goldtop with the 2nd Degree Black Belt is ridiculous. He's also buying Scumback speakers.

Rock on! :rock:

Spain is awesome.

James Lugo":epqcu8lf said:
Hey guys I'm in Barcelona and just got an email from my engineer in LA and he said the Goldtop with the 2nd Degree Black Belt is ridiculous. He's also buying Scumback speakers.

Spain is awesome.

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: Scumbacks do rock as well....... :thumbsup:

James Lugo":2j0lnn2s said:

Spain is awesome.
:rock: Now go enjoy your new wife :thumbsup:

Been watching this the entire time but not posted until now. Kudos to all the folks who made it happen, excellent work indeed. I am about to listen to the clips but will most likely buy the CD as well.

Enjoy Spain, James. I spent 3 weeks on tour there last year and had a blast. :thumbsup:

Great job James. Interestingly, I think the clip of my BBQ sounded pretty spot on to what I was hearing. The Aldrich's clips sounded a bit different, hard to put my finger on it though.

After the clips, I am getting a Motor city Afwayu and going to give that a shot. The Motor City Black Belt sounds great too, I think I could have gone either way, but I am hoping the Afwayu splits better and may be a touch more versatile.

Judging by the responses, most people seem to love the WCR Godwood, but I just hear this bit of fizz that I don't care for for the distorted Rhythm. I really liked it for the clean and leads though...

I hope this shootout help you guys out. Pickup selection can be crazy.

We're leaving Barcelona tonight and taking a train south to Marbella. :rock:

Well, have been watching this topic nearly from its beggining on as a quite lurker.

But now I want to express a Huge Thank You to James, that he'd made this PUP shootout happen at all :rock:
Big Thanks also to all those, who've helped to this unrivaled event, have sent their PU's, aso.

My congrats for your great and very consistent playing, James! :thumbsup:

My congrats to Jim Seagull for this awesome sounding cab/speakers! Must have some speakers from you soon, Jim! Maybe even such a complete cab ;) Unfortunately shipping a cab to Germany isn't a bargain :aww:

And last but not least my congrats to Dave Friedman for his incredible Marshall mods - especially the Hairy Brown Eye mod simply is overwhelming :rock:

James, enjoy your holidays, enjoy Spain and have a great time there!
I'll be there for a week in June - and I need it desperately :D

Larry

novosibir":3qkh9gnh said:
My congrats to Jim Seagull for this awesome sounding cab/speakers! Must have some speakers from you soon, Jim! Maybe even such a complete cab ;) Unfortunately shipping a cab to Germany isn't a bargain :aww:

Jamison Livingston Seagull...that's me. :D

Hey, you're close. It's actually Jim Seavall, but I've been called worse, Larry (aka novosibir). LOL

Supplying that cab was my pleasure, although it's going to make me work a bunch harder. I've gotten three orders for them since it was used in that shootout, two from James Lugo (one's for his buddy), and one yesterday.

It's tough to get lazy and be my usual bum self when people order stuff like cabs. :doh:

Thanks for the kind words on the cab/speakers, though. I appreciate it very much. Sorry shipping to Germany, and EU countries is so ridiculous. It's around $4-500 USD if I'm not mistaken, per cab.

Southbay Scumback":3px6o34c said:
novosibir":3px6o34c said:

Hey, you're close. It's actually Jim Seavall, but I've been called worse, Larry (aka novosibir). LOL

Supplying that cab was my pleasure, although it's going to make me work a bunch harder. I've gotten three orders for them since it was used in that shootout, two from James Lugo (one's for his buddy), and one yesterday.

It's tough to get lazy and be my usual bum self when people order stuff like cabs. :doh:

Thanks for the kind words on the cab/speakers, though. I appreciate it very much. Sorry shipping to Germany, and EU countries is so ridiculous. It's around $4-500 USD if I'm not mistaken, per cab.

I'm glad it's goin' good Jim. The cab is ultimate tone machine.

J

Southbay Scumback":1i92yy1g said:

Must have been the appearance and the sound of your cab, what made me so baffled, that I couldn't recall your last name correctly :confused:

Larry

blackba":3v708ol1 said:
After the clips, I am getting a Motor city Afwayu and going to give that a shot. The Motor City Black Belt sounds great too, I think I could have gone either way, but I am hoping the Afwayu splits better and may be a touch more versatile.

As I recall from a chat with Wade, the Afwayu was designed and wound for splitting. I can attest to the fact that it splits very well! I was previously splitting the coils on a SD screamin demon, and it sounded like poo when it was split. After installing the Afwayu, the splitter switch on my ESP now acts like a "more" switch. The character, clarity etc. of the pickup is preserved in single-coil mode, but roll off the volume for a really nice clean. Switch to both coils and there is simply "more".

Awesome pickup.

1st off, HUGE THANKS to those involved pulling this mammoth effort off!

2nd off, for all the years I've spent on these boards, mainly here and HC in the past, this is one of the coolest things I've ever seen done! :rock: :rock: :rock:

I "use" similar tones to what you had going there across the board, and currently have a BBQ in my Paul I've been thinking about swapping out. I can hear things in your BBQ clip that I hear in mine, that I am not a fan of, so the BBQ is coming out finally! Not that it's a bad pup, but not what I want in the Paul anymore.

Right now I am digging the 2nd degree blackbelt and the Marshallhead the most, leaning a bit towards the blackbelt.

The Afwayu in the shootout was sent in by a rig-talk member so when it arrived we put it in my black Paul that had an Aldrich in it and it sounded way better then the Aldrich IMO, more sparkle, snap and aliveness. Great pickup.

jaybird":3mv8fz2v said:
1st off, HUGE THANKS to those involved pulling this mammoth effort off!

2nd off, for all the years I've spent on these boards, mainly here and HC in the past, this is one of the coolest things I've ever seen done! :rock: :rock: :rock:

I "use" similar tones to what you had going there across the board, and currently have a BBQ in my Paul I've been thinking about swapping out. I can hear things in your BBQ clip that I hear in mine, that I am not a fan of, so the BBQ is coming out finally! Not that it's a bad pup, but not what I want in the Paul anymore.

Right now I am digging the 2nd degree blackbelt and the Marshallhead the most, leaning a bit towards the blackbelt.

Thanks man.

I really liked the way the BBQ broke up but the tone seemed a bit average. The 2nd Degree and Marshallhead both were better IMO.

I'm just re-posting this, we've had a lot of people order this, I think they are going out tomorrow.

I have an idea. What I'm going to offer is for $10 I will ship CD's with all 23 tracks as 16 bit AIFF's to anywhere in the US and $15 overseas. I think ultimately it's better to have the tracks and import them into iTunes, Protools, Garage Band etc.... so you can swap back and forth from pickup to pickup in the same section of the song. If you do that you can hear a big difference. So I am leaving for Spain tomorrow night for 10 days but my assistant can make this happen. So if you want some discs email:

nicole@jameslugo.com

She will take care of it, you can mail a check or paypal account: james@jameslugo.com

The $10/$15 covers me paying her, buying and burning discs and postage. If you mail a check send your full name, address, phone number and email with it.

IMG_2072.jpg

IMG_2071.jpg

IMG_2068.jpg

Pete Thorn
IMG_2077.jpg

Vids:

Audio:
https://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music

James Lugo":etfwr973 said:
The Afwayu in the shootout was sent in by a rig-talk member so when it arrived we put it in my black Paul that had an Aldrich in it and it sounded way better then the Aldrich IMO, more sparkle, snap and aliveness. Great pickup.

Good to know, that exact Afwayu is coming my way, I bought it off Doug (who sent it in to you for the shootout). I have an Aldrich in 2 of my LP's and a BBQ in my LP studio. This will be going in the LP studio. I like the Aldrich's better than the BBQ in general, so it will be cool if the Afwayu is better than the Aldrich. What did you think comparing the BBQ and the Aldrich?

I hope the Afwayu gold cover comes off easily so I can try it in the other LP's without it looking funky....

Back