Kitchen appliances

3 Mile Stone":2f8ya5nh said:
blueburl":2f8ya5nh said:
"best coffee... will come from a french press "

but you have to have a grinder that can get you the size grind, and you have to drink quickly :)

... and you have to have young kidneys that don't mind filtering out the "dreck". It leaves a lot of sediment for the old body to deal with. Prefer mine dripped, but then again ... I'm F'ing old so what do I know? :LOL: :LOL:

Interesting. I hadnt though about that. Is it really a health concern?

BTW. Kitchen aid is only top f the line (to my knowlege) on their stand mixers w/. a gazillion attachments... might be too big for you!

bruce egnater":1lo34vhb said:
So many are considered quality brands. Can you guess what country every one of them is made in??

So this really isn't about the best coffee makers at all. Boy am I naive. Good point Bruce.

EWSEthan":1x01zxuk said:
3 Mile Stone":1x01zxuk said:
blueburl":1x01zxuk said:
"best coffee... will come from a french press "

but you have to have a grinder that can get you the size grind, and you have to drink quickly :)

... and you have to have young kidneys that don't mind filtering out the "dreck". It leaves a lot of sediment for the old body to deal with. Prefer mine dripped, but then again ... I'm F'ing old so what do I know? :LOL: :LOL:

Interesting. I hadnt though about that. Is it really a health concern?

I don't know like medically whether a doctor would confirm that, but my internal filters are a little sensitive so really I can't hang with it. My kidney's will be hurting for sure. Look at the bottom of your cup after it settles and cools off. Lots of particulates down there in the bottom of the cup.

Hmmm Id buy (and have) Japan and usa made Ibanez and luv them but wont buy any Ibanez from other countries ie China, Korea, Indonesia ect. Dont like the lack of quality. They do sound and feel different. Im an American and would pay a few more dollars for an American made product if it is made well, along with British Marshall amps, Vox, fenders, Mesa's. Its not that they dont make great products but its nice to see a Made in USA sticker on something when I buy something. American Pride and supporting America.

Depends also on the technology. Samsung for LCD tv's. Some effects made in china like Ibanez. Boss Japan are all fine.

Reading my own post again, I'm proud to say I didn't get schooled, and my total snobbery radiantly showed through.

"either way, they're all hit or miss. online reviews might be the way to go. I just use a French press now. easy to clean and tastes better too. :rock:"

bruce egnater":2sp7ri9v said:
So many are considered quality brands. Can you guess what country every one of them is made in??

very nice thread indeed!

for espresso go the italian way :-D

bialetti, delonghi, gaggia ;)

I've had a Delonghi for the last 3 years. Paid $50 for it on evilBay. I only clean it, and give it no real maintenance. Still going strong.

I don't know where it's made. But really, who cares? It's only a $50 coffee maker! If it were a $500 coffee maker... Then I'd prefer Italian! -Danny :)

I'm ll about my Cuisinart Burr Grind and Brew Coffee maker. There's just something about freshly ground coffee, with no fuss. Puts Starbucks to shame!!!

Krups
DeLonghi

If you want a real espresso machine, look at makers like:

Gaggia, La Pavoni, Saeco, Solis, Pasquini (their stuff is primo, but you will pay for it!), Briel, Ariete. You will not find these at Macys'!

This is my wife's area:
For cooking, look at Le Cornue, AGA, or Gaggenau. Our next house will have either Le Cornue or Gaggenau. Gaggenau has a steam oven that is perfect for seafood, especially crab or lobster, so that's my vote. Definitely, not available at Macy's.

There are so many boteek brands out there, you need to do your homework to find the best fit for your needs IMO. ;) Very synonymous with gear, Macy's is like going to Guitar Center, when most of us would rather go to Tone Merchants. :LOL: :LOL:

Hi Bruce,
since there is no modular system for coffee machines yet , I recommend the Bezzera BZ 35

http://www.g.bezzera.it/home_ing.html

We have that one in our guitar shop for 10 years now and this is the quality you are looking for. built like a tank. Our machine runs 8 hrs/day 6 days/week. Perfect espresso.

I don´t know if you can buy them in the US but you will find some italian store near you I bet.

My 2cts

Mick

mboogman":2vkk3ppa said:
I'm ll about my Cuisinart Burr Grind and Brew Coffee maker. There's just something about freshly ground coffee, with no fuss. Puts Starbucks to shame!!!

Wow, that thing seriously had the weakest motor of any item I've ever owned.

After the first one died, I took it back to B, B, & B.

They made me exchange for another one. I get it back home, and this "new" one has a wet filter filled with old, wet coffee grounds. nice. I wonder how many of these had been returned multiple times.

worst coffee maker in the world. (tasted good when it worked though)

Looks like you fellas missed the point. My Braun plastic POS drip maker works fine for me. I know that may be tacky but I am definitely not a connisseur of coffee. I do like Caribou better than Starbucks though....but I also like Sovtek 5881 power tubes. Hope this doesn't move me down a wrung on the latter.

"COUNTRY OF ORIGIN"

So moral of the story: If it works, and works for you, use it. And don't discriminate based on price, brand or country of origin.

I wouldn't be a bit suprised if half of the coffee makers on that list are coming out of the same factory, let alone country.

bruce egnater":1byz6p9z said:
...but I also like Sovtek 5881 power tubes. Hope this doesn't move me down a wrung on the latter.

"COUNTRY OF ORIGIN"

Not with me, but you might want to check your ban status at TGP. ;)

I bought your preamp because of indecision. I wanted a great Fender clean, Plexi-type sound and a Soldano SLO-ish tone all in one box. When I was buying, I did not care that if it was made in the US, China, or Antarctica--"If it sounds good, it is good." (EVH)

However, since I joined this forum and Huge Racks, my tastes have been "tweaked" in the sense that, from now on, I only want to buy gear from companies that have exceptional customer service, such as Egnater, Suhr, etc. It's not so much of a "gear snob" mentality as it is (1) confidence in the products and the company's stance in backing them, (2) helping out "the little guy" compared to Marshall, Fender, etc., and (3) getting something different from the norm.

I'm not a guy that bugs and is a pest to companies I buy from (that I know of), or a guy that fawns all over them, but it is sure nice to know that help is so readily available if I need it from you guys. Because of that, customer service has become just as important to me as the gear I own.

Now if you asked me, quality-wise, whether geographical location plays a role in the construction of tube guitar amplifiers, I would say I don't know. Part of me wants to say yes because between the US and China, I percieve the US to be vastly superior in the art of building custom guitar amplifiers. But if you stuck two amps in front of me and told me to pick the one I like, and it was Chinese, I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up because it was made in China. However, I would second guess the customer service...

When my wife and I got married last August, we got a whole bunch of gift cards from Williams and Sonoma ... about $2000 worth. She already has every kitchen appliance imaginable, so we bought a Capresso Z5 espresso machine from Switzerland ... you know, the ridiculously expensive one that grinds the beans, foams the milk right into the cappuccino, all you have to do is put the cup there and hit the button.

I could not believe we spent that much on a coffee machine until we did the math and figured out we were both dropping about $8 a day at Starbucks ... that's $5840 a year (we both drink frou frou espresso drinks, not straight coffee, so something like a French press wasn't really an option).

Now I can't stand to taste that sweetened syrupy swill from Starbucks.

vjd3":3ly1vsm9 said:
When my wife and I got married last August, we got a whole bunch of gift cards from Williams and Sonoma ... about $2000 worth. She already has every kitchen appliance imaginable, so we bought a Capresso Z5 espresso machine from Switzerland ... you know, the ridiculously expensive one that grinds the beans, foams the milk right into the cappuccino, all you have to do is put the cup there and hit the button.

I could not believe we spent that much on a coffee machine until we did the math and figured out we were both dropping about $8 a day at Starbucks ... that's $5840 a year (we both drink frou frou espresso drinks, not straight coffee, so something like a French press wasn't really an option).

Now I can't stand to taste that sweetened syrupy swill from Starbucks.

Exactly why I got one!!! :rock:

Back