6550s - SED winged C or Svetlana Style S Logo - which?

eddiespaghetty

Hi,

when it comes to 6550 tubes, there is always spoken of Svetlanas. Now there are the Svetlana Style S-Logo, which supposed not to be like the originals, and the SED winged C, which seems to be like the originals (has something to do with this weired tube-business), I think.

Which 6550s are ment when mentioned in the posts of the Eganter board and do any of you know, what differences in feel and sound they have? Which one would you recomend?

Thanks
Best Wishes
ed

eddiespaghetty":6g7x0r8r said:
Hi,

when it comes to 6550 tubes, there is always spoken of Svetlanas. Now there are the Svetlana Style S-Logo, which supposed not to be like the originals, and the SED winged C, which seems to be like the originals (has something to do with this weired tube-business), I think.

Which 6550s are ment when mentioned in the posts of the Eganter board and do any of you know, what differences in feel and sound they have? Which one would you recomend?

Thanks
Best Wishes
ed

Best two 6550s are the Tung Sol 6550s and the Svetlana 6550C's. Tung Sols are a big warmer through the mids, and have less top end sparkle on them, as well as just a big looser bottom end. If you want more sag, and slightly warmer tone, then the Tung Sols I'd recommend. The Svetlana 6550C's are the best all around 6550 IMHO. My personal favorite for about 8 years. Great tight bottom end, warm, detailed thick and juicy midrange, and great top end (similar to a 6L6), but not shrill or cutting in the least.

In a Mod50 the TS 6550s are probably the best...for everything else...a Svetlana 6550 is my tube of choice. SED =C= 6550s...were dull and boring...and I hated.

Go with what eric suggests! I'm using a MOD100 with a combo of Svet 6550C's and GTE34L's and I'm lovin it!

Just to clarify...

It's not Svetlana Winged C's Svetlana Russia Used to Make Winged C's a long time ago... Since then New Sensor bought the Svetlana Name, and a Svetlana is now a New Sensor tube.

The Company That was Svetlana is now SED, and they are the ones that Make Winged =C='s. SED Winged C's.

Svetlana is a completely different tube.

Best,

Roid RAGE

RoidRage":2ph492nv said:
Just to clarify...

It's not Svetlana Winged C's Svetlana Russia Used to Make Winged C's a long time ago... Since then New Sensor bought the Svetlana Name, and a Svetlana is now a New Sensor tube.
Roid RAGE

Thanks a lot!

I know about the SED winged C, but I didn't know about the "Svetlanas", beeing totally different.

Cheers
ed

eddiespaghetty":2o00y96b said:
RoidRage":2o00y96b said:
Just to clarify...

Roid RAGE

Thanks a lot!

I know about the SED winged C, but I didn't know about the "Svetlanas", beeing totally different.

Cheers
ed

NP! :thumbsup:

I've got the SED Winged =C='s in my HERBERT, and they kick Major Arse!

Roid Rage

eddiespaghetty":2w4h4nxn said:
Herbert with SED 6550s or EL34s?

I play an Einstein, but like the EL34 more than the 6550s - but it is a different Amp!

ed

6550's IMHO... It's the ONLY tube for the HERBIE

Best,

Roid RAGE

I am looking forward to putting these in the 2 & 3 spot of the RM100KH I just picked up along with Ruby 6550STR's in 1 & 4. I really like the JJ 6L6's and EL34L's that are in there but prefer the way the Ruby's sound in my RM50. Tomorrow night will be the time.

I was surprised how much clearer a 5751 sounded in the PI of the RM100 and RM50 after I swapped out the JJ's that were in there. I want to try some other 12AX7's in the V1 spot of the amp too. I have a Tung Sol, Ruby HG+, and several other JJ's, EHX, and other Chinese tubes to try. Any thoughts on what might work best?

Rock on.

Buckeyedog":2e45ufno said:
a quad of 6550's??.................. :shocked: :rock:

You may need a little more volume though............ :LOL: :LOL: :thumbsup:

Yeah I have been thinking about this idea. I will give it a shot but for fek's sake! I already have a 5751 in the PI so a quad of 6550's will be headroom for days.

I do keep the master on the RM100's at 3:00 and over though and adjust the volume from the modules. Good thing it's winter and the neighbors windows are closed.

Back