Which CAA/Suhr amp closest to the VH "Dream is Over" tone?

marvcus

I know VH used a prototype 3+ preamp on this track. If you scrape away the effects, what current amp out of the lineup is closest to that tone?

Are you sure it wasnt a SLO on this? I thought the 3+ was used mostly on cleans and crunch, like spanked. It sounds pretty SLO to me, which has a high mid emphasis and would be most like the PT-100 I would imagine.

EWSEthan":20cx3utb said:
Are you sure it wasnt a SLO on this? I thought the 3+ was used mostly on cleans and crunch, like spanked. It sounds pretty SLO to me, which has a high mid emphasis and would be most like the PT-100 I would imagine.

That is actually the 3+ preamp prototype in to a Marshall Power section that I tweaked for Lukather. I watched as Ed was recording.
It was Channel 3 of the non SE version, I could build you the exact channel but I think the PT100 would do it no problem in a heatbeat.,
The SLO was only used on the solo on this track

Suhr":3txb8la5 said:
EWSEthan":3txb8la5 said:

That is actually the 3+ preamp prototype in to a Marshall Power section that I tweaked for Lukather. I watched as Ed was recording.
It was Channel 3 of the non SE version, I could build you the exact channel but I think the PT100 would do it no problem in a heatbeat.,

This is really cool info. So is this how it was on most tracks? SLO just for leads or was it a mix of 3+ and SLO depending on the song and/or Eds mood?

EWSEthan":1htpkzqg said:
Suhr":1htpkzqg said:
EWSEthan":1htpkzqg said:

This is really cool info. So is this how it was on most tracks? SLO just for leads or was it a mix of 3+ and SLO depending on the song and/or Eds mood?

The 3+ was used on if I remember correctly 4 of the tracks and pretty much all the rhythm tracks of Dream is over as well as Spank and a few others. We had to take the proto back to finish design of the production preamps.
Ed used the SLO on I believe most of the rest of the record. At least that is what I remember being told. I was there when he was doing some of Dream is over.

Yup the PT100 would be the way to go. It can pretty much nail any voicing or gain structure John has done in any of his amps. Its a do all in one amp

soundpurist":3jc2gy42 said:
Wow, what Suhr pickup you guys think that would nail this kinda sound with a PT100? Thanks.
eds pickup was 59 style at best, I would say our SSV but then again I like more meat with my potatoes so I would say a DA or SSH+

A progressive Rock band that really Rocked- tight rhythm parts from EVH that really " lock in".

Well ,you've already solved the Amp Question* - just thought I'd comment on the track.

* Very definitively from the source!

Sorry for the brief hijack, but what are the main differences between the 3+ and 3+SE? We all know and love the SE, but I don´t think I´ve ever heard a non-SE in real life... and I don´t see it discussed as much, either.

Original 3+ has more gain, a bit more upper mid bite and the EQ section has a slight mid scoop (around 1K or so). SE is smoother all around.

I have both versions, and I love 'em.

JDouglee":pbfcw32k said:
Original 3+ has more gain, a bit more upper mid bite and the EQ section has a slight mid scoop (around 1K or so). SE is smoother all around.

I have both versions, and I love 'em.

Thanks, man. Much appreciated!

Back