Fryette Sig X

stephen sawall

I had sent in my Sig X to Fryette to get the latest official updates ….. it also got fresh power tubes (Sovtek KT88) , bias and V1 (Tung Sol) was replaced and the face plate was replaced with the Fryette logo. I got it back a few weeks ago. There was sound changes …. all for the better if you ask me.

How much is from the updates and how much from the new tubes ….. who knows ?

It seems the 3 way voice switches are more distinct sounding. It also seems the tone controls have a better range. I have run it thru a lot of sound shapes and gain ranges and so far I like everything. All three channels well do clean and crunch. The rhythm and lead channels well go into high gain.

I did notice the harmonics changed and it is warmer now. Still has the great dynamics and I think the feel is better.

Funk / country / rock / etc. sounds amazing with this amp.

This amp is kind of the best of both worlds. The options and control of a channel switcher .... yet the way it response to my guitar volume control, harmonics and the dynamics of a single channel amp. The bass still seems very focused. The balance of frequencies is working as I tune it in. I wish all amps had this kind of definition.

The amp responds very well to the guitar volume and different pickup selections. You can always tell what guitar is plugged in. It does not hide the sound of the guitar …. it enhances it.

All the switches are very useful to control the sound. You can really control the sound and feel. You can check out the manual and controls on the Fryette web site. Once you learn how the controls work and interact you well understand what useful tools these are.

The cleans seem bigger and more full. It has some of the best clean sounds of any amp. Strumming and appegioes all there.

The clean channel turned up to overdrive and everything else was more than I wanted. There are some great crunch sounds in the clean channel. The fullness and sounds of the amp was just great. I felt in complete control of the sound. I use the clean channel more like a non master volume amp most of the time. Using the guitar volume and pickup selector to get a wide range of tones.

The vintage less gain English style crunch sounds from the rhythm channel are just amazing as are the modern heavy sounds from this channel and everything between.

The lead channel also does a lot of voices well. I have never felt like I need a pedal with this channel. It well do a wide variety of lead sounds. This channel can also get some very thick rhythm sounds.

I did a side by side with a several other modern amps in a wide range of tones and gain ranges. All the amps have their own taste .... and liked it better than any of them for the big modern sounds and everything else as far as that goes. It has way better dynamics and better tone control than any of these amps for my taste.

The way I could control the thickness of the bottom and blend in the the midrange was very impressive. Heading into heavy sounds on a lot of amps they do not cut well in the upper midrange and have poor dynamics. Dynamics are key in my playing. Between the heavy sounds on the rhythm and lead channels I found some of the best sounds I have found from any amp for these sounds for my taste. The tone, definition, articulation, control, dynamics and feel are all there.

Every channel has so much usable range. This amp does it all .... clean / edge of break up / crunch / heavy / leads / vintage and modern flavors.

Well blending preamp and power amp distortion the control of the sound was the best I have seen.

I do not know if this amp would work for everyone as well as it does for me? But this works for me.

Cool review mate. :thumbsup:
Two amps that really interest me are the Deliverance and the Sig X.
I'd love to take them for a test drive but I can't find either out this way.

Cheers.

Ijust got a deliverance 120 in the mail this morning, cant wait to fire her up and see what she does, my first foray into VHT but i am exited.

anything I should know about the deliverance?

Something tells me she will pair well with my Einstein.

stephen sawall":u3xbevno said:
Nothing but they kick ass ....

Congratulations ..... :thumbsup:

Sweet, thanks man!

I cant find any review that are bad but many people seem to let the deliverance go after a while.

Im wondering if its the lack of FX loop and foot switchable options?

Either way Im sure ill be into it.

moltenmetalburn":2l16qjue said:
Ijust got a deliverance 120 in the mail this morning, cant wait to fire her up and see what she does, my first foray into VHT but i am exited.

What type of music do you play? I could recommend some settings. The Deliverance 60 is my favorite amp, hands down.

It absolutely loves Eminence speakers, particularly the VHT/Eminence P50E's that come stock in the VHT cabs and Eminence Legend V12's. I also think it sounds pretty good with Celestion V30's - it definitely records well with them.

FWIW I had a tech install a simple unbuffered FX loop in mine - works very well with my Eventide Timefactor :inlove:

Devin":1e7xt0va said:
moltenmetalburn":1e7xt0va said:

What type of music do you play? I could recommend some settings. The Deliverance 60 is my favorite amp, hands down.

It absolutely loves Eminence speakers, particularly the VHT/Eminence P50E's that come stock in the VHT cabs and Eminence Legend V12's. I also think it sounds pretty good with Celestion V30's - it definitely records well with them.

FWIW I had a tech install a simple unbuffered FX loop in mine - works very well with my Eventide Timefactor :inlove:

Metal/hardcore/rock think: KSE, Soilwork, AILD, GodForbid, The Haunted.

how different is the more less gain switch?

where would you classify each gain level?

any poweramp distortion available from the KT88 120 watts?

moltenmetalburn":3kzrwvo1 said:
Devin":3kzrwvo1 said:

Sweet man, Soilwork is one of my favorite bands and a big influence on me actually.

The more/less gain switch makes a huge difference. I flip-flopped back and forth for a while but I actually prefer to leave it in less mode and boost the input with my Keeley SD-1 for super brutal tones - I find it to be slightly less prone to feedback that way.

My 60 watter has little to no poweramp distortion....or at least if it does you have to get up to mind-numbingly loud volumes to achieve it. I would imagine the 120 watter has even more headroom (i've never played one).

I've recorded a few different clips with various speakers/gain levels/boosts. I'll post em up if you are interested in checking them out.

I've owned the amp for about 1 year now by the way. It's been gigged many times without a hitch and I still get a shit eatin' grin every time I plug in and turn it on :D

Devin":32l5nslf said:
moltenmetalburn":32l5nslf said:
Devin":32l5nslf said:

Sweet man, Soilwork is one of my favorite bands and a big influence on me actually.

The more/less gain switch makes a huge difference. I flip-flopped back and forth for a while but I actually prefer to leave it in less mode and boost the input with my Keeley SD-1 for super brutal tones - I find it to be slightly less prone to feedback that way.

My 60 watter has little to no poweramp distortion....or at least if it does you have to get up to mind-numbingly loud volumes to achieve it. I would imagine the 120 watter has even more headroom (i've never played one).

I've recorded a few different clips with various speakers/gain levels/boosts. I'll post em up if you are interested in checking them out.

I've owned the amp for about 1 year now by the way. It's been gigged many times without a hitch and I still get a shit eatin' grin every time I plug in and turn it on :D

Cool man i think Im gonna dig it! :rock:

moltenmetalburn":js2m3fbd said:
stephen sawall":js2m3fbd said:
Nothing but they kick ass ....

Congratulations ..... :thumbsup:

Sweet, thanks man!

I cant find any review that are bad but many people seem to let the deliverance go after a while.

Im wondering if its the lack of FX loop and foot switchable options?

Either way Im sure ill be into it.
Personally I think the Deliverance sounds great, but to many, the lack of features puts them off from holding onto it. And that applies to other amps of similar style like the Soldano Avenger.

To me, though, as long as the amp has dynamics, as mentioned in the review, then it's simply a matter of changing how you're playing.

For instance, if you want a prestine, almost country-ish tone, wack the preamp gain back, turn up the master volume, replace the speakers with greenbacks, equip a set of single coil EMG's and start fingerpicking. It's far from a Fender Twin, but it'll do the job for those who are just experimenting as a hobby.

If you then want a stoner metal type sound, remove some of the mids and treble, crank the depth and bass and keep the gain at about 1 o'clock. Then add a fuzz pedal with a tiny bit of grit applied, such as a MJM London Fuzz. If it's too fuzzy, roll back the volume on your guitar. Right there is an awesome High on Fire tone, without having to buy an SLO.

Great review, TS. Got me GAS'in for this puppy. Hard to find, though, to try out.

And congrats on the D120!

I love the deliverance that I had and the UL I've got now. I still need to try out the sig:x. Fryette's are definitely in my top 3 for manufacturers right now.

The only thing I don't like about my D120 if no effects loop / no clean channel. Otherwise it's a spectacular amp.

I'm getting ready to unload mine (hopefully today). Early part of next year I hope to get a UL.

Right now my Nitro is doing the trick... loves me Splawn. :rock:

:(

Never even had the opp to see a Sig X. Maybe eventually someone will trade one in at one of the two GC stores here.

How dose it compare to a Schmidt?

Heritage Softail":ru1znr3b said:

Never even had the opp to see a Sig X. Maybe eventually someone will trade one in at one of the two GC stores here.

I have never played a Schmidt .... but have played on a VH4, Herbert and had my Sig X side by side with a Einstein a few times.

Other than they both do high gain I see them as pretty different.....

Both are very well made and use all quality parts.

Both have great definition and articulation.

Diezel amps are very compressed, the Sig X is the most dynamic high gain amp I know.

Diezel do not cut in the upper midrange in a mix. The Sig X can if you want.

The Sig X is very versatile and every channel does very well from clean on up. The Diezel's have a pretty narrow use for every channel and stay pretty close to one voicing. Not to say the Diezel's can't do a number of voices, it is just the Sig X can do a lot more.

The Diezel's are very much about preamp distortion. Where the Sig X does preamp and power amp distortion equally as well.

The Diezel's have a pretty unique voice that does not really sound like any other amps. I can hear a lot of Marshall and even more Hiwatt in the Sig X when set up that way, having said that the Fryette amps do have there own voice.

I am a big fan of the WHO, I can get very close to the Live at Leeds sound and the ball park of other classic amp sounds. The Diezel's sound like Diezel's.

It's kind of like comparing a specialty knife with a Swiss army knife. If you want that particular knife for a particular job that is what you would want. But if you wanted a knife that could do a lot of jobs you would pick the other.
Kind of like a roofer and a painter use different tools .... but both use some of the same tools. What tools you would use would depend on the job.

All amps I know of that can do a lot of voices have compromises. The Sig X does not. Steve Fryette spent over 10 years designing the Sig X and making it versatile without compromises was very much part of the plan.

Apples and Oranges .... just like every other amp both have lovers and haters. No amp is for everyone.

stephen sawall":ygmtif51 said:
Heritage Softail":ygmtif51 said:

I have never played a Schmidt .... but have played on a VH4, Herbert and had my Sig X side by side with a Einstein a few times.

Other than they both do high gain I see them as pretty different.....

Both are very well made and use all quality parts.

Both have great definition and articulation.

Diezel amps are very compressed, the Sig X is the most dynamic high gain amp I know.

Diezel do not cut in the upper midrange in a mix. The Sig X can if you want.

The Sig X is very versatile and every channel does very well from clean on up. The Diezel's have a pretty narrow use for every channel and stay pretty close to one voicing. Not to say the Diezel's can't do a number of voices, it is just the Sig X can do a lot more.

The Diezel's are very much about preamp distortion. Where the Sig X does preamp and power amp distortion equally as well.

The Diezel's have a pretty unique voice that does not really sound like any other amps. I can hear a lot of Marshall and even more Hiwatt in the Sig X when set up that way, having said that the Fryette amps do have there own voice.

I am a big fan of the WHO, I can get very close to the Live at Leeds sound and the ball park of other classic amp sounds. The Diezel's sound like Diezel's.

It's kind of like comparing a specialty knife with a Swiss army knife. If you want that particular knife for a particular job that is what you would want. But if you wanted a knife that could do a lot of jobs you would pick the other.
Kind of like a roofer and a painter use different tools .... but both use some of the same tools. What tools you would use would depend on the job.

All amps I know of that can do a lot of voices have compromises. The Sig X does not. Steve Fryette spent over 10 years designing the Sig X and making it versatile without compromises was very much part of the plan.

Apples and Oranges .... just like every other amp both have lovers and haters. No amp is for everyone.

Understood. Having hit a few Diezels, unfortunately not a Schmidt, I can say they are most excellent at the high gain metal game. I have never seen anything like the way Peter replies back to his 'people', they are not just customers. Amazing customer service on display daily.

Heritage Softail":24g4aa8h said:
Understood. Having hit a few Diezels, unfortunately not a Schmidt, I can say they are most excellent at the high gain metal game. I have never seen anything like the way Peter replies back to his 'people', they are not just customers. Amazing customer service on display daily.

They are great for metal, I very much respect Peter and his work.

I change my setting depending on my needs at the time.... these are ones I have been using lately. I turn the boost on & off with all of them on the foot-switch...
O'clock....

Clean Channel:
Bloom
Norm
100W
Open
Volume - 10:00
Treb - 2:00
Mid - 10:00
Bass - 2:00
Pres - 2:00
Depth - 2:00

Clean Channel:
Brite
Boost
40W
Fat
Volume - 11:00 ~ 2:00
Mid - 10:00
Pres - 2:00

Rhythm Channel:
Vintage
Gain I - 2:00
Gain II - 2:00
Boost On
Less Mode
40W
Master - 9:00 ~ 10:00
Scoop
Mid - 2:00
Pres - 2:00 ~ 4:00
Depth - 3:00

Rhythm Channel:
Live
Gain I - 2:00
Gain II - 2:00
Boost On
More Mode
100W
Wood
Mid - 10:00 ~ 12:00

Rhythm Channel:
Live
Gain I - 3:00
Gain II - 5:00
Boost On
More Mode
100W
Wood
Treb - 3:00
Mid - 9:00
Bass - 3:00

Lead Channel:
Brit
Gain II - NA
Boost Off
More Mode
40W ~ 100W
Master - 9:00 ~10:00
Wood

Lead Channel:
Blow
Gain II - 3:00
Boost On
More Mode
40W ~ 100W
Master - 9:00 ~10:00
Wood

This was using my Gibson LPDC with JB in bridge(works fine with others). I use the neck pickup with the first setting usually. I also use my pickup selector and volume on my guitar often. The cab is a 80's Mars 4x12 with Greenbacks on top & V30 on bottom.

Back