Jerry Cantrell wah has arrived...

Where did you get it? I checked Musician's Friend and they don't even have it in stock yet, let alone shipped out.

Jay Strange":3853df6i said:
Does it suck tone? Or is it true bypass?

XSSIVE":3853df6i said:
Erock...it's buffered bypass like most of the dunlops, i've never had a problem with this buffer and tone change when off and i've owned nearly every wah dunlop makes and has made. i know some people hear a tone change with some of them and i think some of those people are full of crap since they say they hear it on a GCB95 for example but not on a Wylde wah where they share the same damn circuit :LOL: :LOL: i guess it all depends on your rig and your ears, i hear no change. unfortunately the wizard is a teese i have no experience with, i had a picture wah but was so ho hum about it i sold it failry quick and bought and area 51 which was killer (i regret letting that one go). since it's GCB95 based it can be modded to TB in all of 10 minutes and the cost of a switch and some wire. however i see/hear no need to be honest.
-Mike

Glad it finally is shipping. The retailers missed the boat on this one....had one backordered forever.

Steve

ShaneV...i had a friend of a friend place the order for it at the GC he works at so early he had to manually enter it into the GC computer system since it wasn't even in there back then :LOL: :LOL: this is part of the first small wave of a few hundred that went out, they won't really start filling up shelves 'til May sometime.

-Mike

XSSIVE":1qwe0n2c said:
you know, i was honestly going off of memory of most of dirt (the album, not song) since i play "rain when i die" often on guitar but realized it's been a while since i listened to the album version of it along with the other wah songs like the actual song "dirt". so did you guys mean the album itself or the song "dirt"? i should have clarified that :doh: that said the more vocal quality of the wah in "rain" is there but it also has the same use of talk box like "man in the box" mixed with it which of course makes it more vowel like which makes it a bit tricky to pick which is wah and what's talk box. i could be trying to achieve both in my head with just the wah thus wanting more Q to get a bit more of that vocal quality. so if you compare this wah to the song "dirt" it's much closer than i initially thought when comparing it to the version of "rain" that's been playing in my head for years :LOL: :LOL: . when people asked about dirt i automatically assumed you were talking the album itself which then my mind goes right to "rain" since it's such an iconic riff. so perhaps i was a bit too soon to dismiss it and it is a bit closer than i thought. i still feel it could use a touch more Q though really nail it so i still stand by that. -Mike

I meant the actual song, but the entire album was horrifyingly yet amazingly brilliant, depicting a tortured soul on the brink of losing his self-determination, the words of his addiction mocking him in the riddle "rise from the dirt I'm in, hide in another's skin, stick black dress doll with pin, your mouth takes on my grin"

I use this line and others for some of my bro's fighting their addiction, being possessed by that spirit, just like Layne and so many others who fell prey to it.
Jimmie

as i was thinking about it i had a feeling you may have meant the song, thus why i decided to listen to it right then and there and refresh my memory and not go off memory. i'm not one to really try and nail other peoples tone so i tend to not think in the "does it sound like..." way since i always want my own stamp on the song i'm playing. plus since this is Jerry's new wah and achieves the tone he has in his head now you could say it's not meant to copy the old tones since he's been there done that :D yet it's supposed to build from them.

-Mike

That brass enclosure looks even cooler in these picture than in the promo shots I've seen.

MF says they'll be available April 30 but still has them listed for preorder. I say we chip in and buy them a calender. :gethim:

Been waiting a couple of months but mine finally arrived today. It's pretty sweet.

I agree with the comments above. It's similar to the Wylde wah in that it has a really resonant filter effect, but although the sound is similar the sweep is much more narrow and easier to use since it lacks the extreme bottom and has a tunable top end.

The best way to describe it is that I've always liked the Wylde wah, but it gets really extreme in the heel down position and can sound a little wonky if you're trying to flog your wah like your Kirk Hammett. I find it more useful if I stick a couple of quarters under the heel to keep it from rocking back too far. I thought about modding the sweep so that I wouldn't need the quarters. Apparently Jerry Cantrell thought the same thing, only he had Dunlop do it for him and stuck it in a cool brass case with a knob to dial in the top end. The end result is a great wah that has a really usable sweep that can be quickly dialled in from a thick and chewy sound to a brighter, more screaming sound.

I really like this wah.

Jimmie":1u7jwi2i said:
XSSIVE":1u7jwi2i said:
you know, i was honestly going off of memory of most of dirt (the album, not song) since i play "rain when i die" often on guitar but realized it's been a while since i listened to the album version of it along with the other wah songs like the actual song "dirt". so did you guys mean the album itself or the song "dirt"? i should have clarified that :doh: that said the more vocal quality of the wah in "rain" is there but it also has the same use of talk box like "man in the box" mixed with it which of course makes it more vowel like which makes it a bit tricky to pick which is wah and what's talk box. i could be trying to achieve both in my head with just the wah thus wanting more Q to get a bit more of that vocal quality. so if you compare this wah to the song "dirt" it's much closer than i initially thought when comparing it to the version of "rain" that's been playing in my head for years :LOL: :LOL: . when people asked about dirt i automatically assumed you were talking the album itself which then my mind goes right to "rain" since it's such an iconic riff. so perhaps i was a bit too soon to dismiss it and it is a bit closer than i thought. i still feel it could use a touch more Q though really nail it so i still stand by that. -Mike

I meant the actual song, but the entire album was horrifyingly yet amazingly brilliant, depicting a tortured soul on the brink of losing his self-determination, the words of his addiction mocking him in the riddle "rise from the dirt I'm in, hide in another's skin, stick black dress doll with pin, your mouth takes on my grin"

I use this line and others for some of my bro's fighting their addiction, being possessed by that spirit, just like Layne and so many others who fell prey to it.
Jimmie

[Jimmie] Nice insight man, heartfelt words regarding your bro's in the throws. My very best to them.

[XSSIVE] I thought I had my wah GAS extinguished with the arrival of my Clyde Deluxe. Now you've got me eyeballing this Cantrell model...

Bastard!! :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks for a killer review. I'll have to do some thinking about this one.

V.

Ventura":2su7x519 said:
[XSSIVE] I thought I had my wah GAS extinguished with the arrival of my Clyde Deluxe. Now you've got me eyeballing this Cantrell model...

I sold my Clyde Deluxe about a month ago. I probably ran it for a little over a year. It was a good sounding wah, but I eventually came to the conclusion that I prefer the sound of Dunlop wahs.

Have had mine a couple months and love it. Lots of range and Q on the wah. Most of the signature stuff I don't care much for. Hated the Kirk Hamster one. The JC is awesome though and quite versatile.

I still wish Dunlop, with all their innovation, will end up putting an indicator light on the damn wah one of these days.

Steve

steve_k":3i6mdtmb said:
I still wish Dunlop, with all their innovation, will end up putting an indicator light on the damn wah one of these days.
Steve

custom audio, dimebag and ehv signatures DO have led status indicators...both for wah and boost function!

narrow sweep + coolest finish ever = pure win :thumbsup:

it's no near as versatile as the 535Q I had, but I'm loving it
it just can't sound bad in any situation
the 535Q required a lot of tweaking for each situation (clean, crunch, drive, hi gain)
and it's A LOT better than the Hendrix
I know the others are easy to mod to Cantrell specs, but the finish makes up for the price :LOL: :LOL:

Ventura":2bis4vpo said:
[Jimmie] Nice insight man, heartfelt words regarding your bro's in the throws. My very best to them.

I certainly ain't no saint, done my share of bad shit, but just left the rehab and talk about some hurting people. Thanks for the kind thoughts. Out of all those we've lost to the bad thing, wish Layne woulda had someone in his corner that coulda stopped him from running too far along that path.

Are you sure it is buffered bypass? I thought I read it is true bypass? I think with a wah a buffered can be better so the volume difference is the same between on and off.

I do however wish they installed a boost. I think most wahs benefit from a built in boost to fatter the tone and add gain for leads. makes sense!

Maybe this would be a quick modification.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's a hardwire bypass and not a buffered bypass.

The pedal has about 18dB-20dB gain... it's just not user selectable.

Who told you the pedal has about a 18dB-20dB gain boost? Thanks for the info. :)

Some people talk about the ability to control highs with the external pot saying you can wind it up to cut for gain and wind it back to get it more mellow for clean. I sometimes think it can't be wound up enough for cut in a heavy mix....like a Vox or other Crybaby other than the CB classic which is also dark. I'll test it again at next rehearsal.

yeah, it's buffered. it's a GCB-95 circuit with 2 changes...different cap for the sweep range making it just a hair darker and the external knob, that's it. the external knob will not add any boost or add any treble to the circuit all it does is let you roll it off. on 10 it lets all the high end pass through and the full sweep of the wah work. roll it back and it rolls off the high end of the sweep. there's no boost to it to go above 10. the pot is inline with the main pot of the wah, by rolling it back it's like rolling back a volume pot and clipping some of the high end of the main pot. by turning it all the way up it's like bypassing it and letting the whole signal of the main pot travel through.

you can modify the wah and increase the gain with some resistor swaps on a toggle or two. your best bet if you need a boost is something like the CAE MC404 wah if you don't want to get into modding the cantrell.

Sounds like a cool wah, my 18v 535Q seems to have taken a crap, maybe just a switch, so I have been looking for a new wah myself, however I really like the tweakability of my 535, boost, Q and range, sounds like this might be a good replacement??

Back