What's your output tube of choice in a Herbert?

killertone

I have heard almost overwhelmingly that 6550s are the way to go for the brootz. I was thinking of mixing 6550s and KT88s in mine when I get it.

What do you have in yours and what tones are you going for?

:rock:

I have not started experimenting with tubes yet. Mine came with 4 KT88's and 2 6l6's and sounds great for everything from Country to Modern Rock/Metal.

I love 6550's in my friends Cameron and would love to try them in the Herbert as I think that may be my favorite tube combination with the KT88's.

I also really want to try straight 6 EL34 tubes as well.

Let us know what you like the best, I trust your ears and would really like to hear your comments.

KT-88's :yes: I had SED 34's in my Herbert and am way happier with the 88's. The amp is less compressed which really opened up channel 3 big time. The amp almost seems to be a bit crunchier too. I wasn't coming off from worn out EL34's as my tech thought they were good because they weren't even smokey yet.

I think that happens a lot on tube recommendations though, people have tubes that are shot and then go with something else and think they are the best thing since sliced bread, when in reality it's going from worn out tubes to fresh ones making the big sound difference.

i had all 6550s in mine but recently swapped out a pair for some new EL34s...combo sounds killer!!! but i am still a card carrying 6550 guy!

For shear brutal SED 6550. Like RJF said the KT88 does open the amp up a bit more.
SED EL34's are my least favorite due to some extra sizzle and compression on channel 3.
This week I'm trying four Ruby EL34BHT's and two GT JJ E34L's for extra warmth and it's a
good mix for a wide tonal variety.

I have the gold lion reissue KT88's i love them especially with the ruby pre amps that papa said to use
and all of them have been cryo treated

So for the most brutal hi gain sound 6550's are the way to go huh? The KT88 is pretty similar to the 6550 except that it has a tad bit more mids to it right?

RJF":42b4aas0 said:
So for the most brutal hi gain sound 6550's are the way to go huh? The KT88 is pretty similar to the 6550 except that it has a tad bit more mids to it right?

I think the the KT88 has more midrange than the 6550.

It has all 6L6s in it now so I am gonna check them out when I get it. I am much more a 6550/KT88 guy, which is what I have in my Fortin. I will most likely end up doing something like 4 x 6550s and 2x KT88s. On paper that should kick ten kinds of ass. :rock:

the user mjaar was experimenting with blending kt88s and 6550s not that long ago and he said it was pretty amazing. that's all i remember.

HerbieBoogie":2szxkan2 said:
the user mjaar was experimenting with blending kt88s and 6550s not that long ago and he said it was pretty amazing. that's all i remember.

I have his Herbert and it has 4 KT88's and 2 6L6's and it does sound pretty amazing!!

killertone":35igft5e said:
I have heard almost overwhelmingly that 6550s are the way to go for the brootz. I was thinking of mixing 6550s and KT88s in mine when I get it.

Well?!?!? How is it??? ;)

Mailman1971":ferw3qe6 said:
killertone":ferw3qe6 said:

Well?!?!? How is it??? ;)

Not digging it with the 6L6s in it. That is what the previous owner had in it. I am going to change the tubes out tomorrow to 4 x 6550s and 2 x EL34s. I bet I like it better then. :thumbsup:

Pauly....

Which pair did you replace the 6550 with EL34s?

1-6, 2-5, or 3-4?

I'm looking at doing this shortly.

Sorry to jump in here but the pair doesnt matter
All 6 power tubes are used all the time with all channels ;)

Back