Mr. diezel - Herbert Tubes

FixXxer

What are you guys using for your tube combo's? I have a herbert with all 6L6' and liking it but wondering what I can get out of KT 88's or EL 34's?

I've never had anything other than 6L6's in it, so that is why I am asking.

Thanks,

:rock:

i have used about 50 different combos. (all EL34, all 6L6, all KT77, all KT88, all 6550, El34 & 6L6 mix, 6550 & EL34 mix list goes on...) currently my ears are digging 4 6550s & 2 EL34s. Really kills it!!! Also dug all 6550s in the Herbie.

Best of luck! :LOL: :LOL:

PaulyPanacea":2h6cpsn0 said:
i have used about 50 different combos. (all EL34, all 6L6, all KT77, all KT88, all 6550, El34 & 6L6 mix, 6550 & EL34 mix list goes on...) currently my ears are digging 4 6550s & 2 EL34s. Really kills it!!! Also dug all 6550s in the Herbie.

Best of luck! :LOL: :LOL:

Pauly - Anything specifically? How are you biasing the amplifier, and what brand tubes are you using?

Last thing, are 6550's similiar to KT88's and are the 6550's stable for the amplifier?

Finally we don´t recommend 6550´s and KT88.
It causes too much heat at the right bias point.

But You guys will know it better ;)

Peter Diezel":21hgv11r said:
Finally we don´t recommend 6550´s and KT88.
It causes too much heat at the right bias point.

But You guys will know it better ;)

What do you reccomend? :D

The search is your friend... ;)

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=68254&hilit=output+tube[/quote]

Brother, I love searching but the way search results are displayed on this board is pretty weak. Some of the other boards have better display results.[/quote]

Yeah, just giving you a hard time, bro! ;)

I asked the same question a couple weeks ago and was surprised that Peter doesn't want people to use 6550s when I have seen so many people using them. I personally think that 4 El34s and 2 6550s sound best, at least they do in my Herbert. I tried a bunch of different combinations and settled on that one. :thumbsup:

Papa is right..as always. They are HOT! I run a small fan in the back to keep good air circulation. I know Papa loves the Ruby EL34BHTs for his babies. I just cant get past how good the 6550s sound. Just my opinion.

I have been using SED Winged C Tubes religiously in my Diezels for the past few years with ZERO issues. I biased to the orig #s Papa had posted ( 90 to 100mA/ pair on the 6550 & 32 to 35mA on EL34s)

KT88s sound like a hopped up EL34 & the 6550s sound like a hopped up 6L6..to my ears. Preferred the 6550 to the KT88s.

So you guys running kt88 and 6550 tubes do your amps still work? Was a joke . I have three quads of kt88 and two quads of 6550 tubes I'm dying to mix in the Herbert mk2. I find it hard to believe the transformer can't Handel it. Peter says the amp can't Handel it . I wonder what part of the amp he means?

I’ve tried a lot if different combinations as well. Most types except all KT88.
I find the power section of Herbert very clean, to an extreme compared with the VH4.
With very clean tubes ( little harmonics & overtones ) it gets flat and a bit anemic.
These are all based from my personal tone point of view.

I didn’t like any 6L6’s in it. I love 6L6’s in the VH4 , the amps are that different in how the power section works.
Same goes for GL KT77 , just too clean. I do like these a lot in the VH4 and other amps.

The SED 6550’s are good. Dynamics to the extreme. It makes the amp very full & powerful sounding.
Not much in the way of offensive frequencies. Nor does it have that Marshall bite that I like.

The current recommended JJ KT77 is IMHO a good tube.
Also dynamic, and full but not to the extreme amount that the SED 6550 is.
It has A Lot of low end and low mids. , so much so that almost chokes the amp. I find I need to roll back the deep and use mid cut to get a sound I like.
There’s a frequency that my ears don’t like in the JJKT77 , they seem a little bit unmusical.
The amp doesn’t squish much with these.

JJ el34L is a good tube , my second favourite.
There’s some squish and a more traditional Marshall like eq to the amp.
Cleans are ok but not great.

Ruby / TAD el34 bstr.
My favourite tube in the Herbert.
Dynamic while retaining a more Marshall flavour.
The attack seems to bloom and build. As opposed to the tightness / on-off response of the KT77’s.
Cleans are also beautiful.
Honestly I didn’t get the Herbert hype until I tried this tube.

Back