Diezel VH4 Blueface revisions with pics, Peter can you help?

I want to confirm this one extra pre-amp tube in a blueface thing, would someone with a 1999 or newer silverface chime in with how many pre-amp tubes you have?

If this is true I want to find me a 1998 silverface as a backup for my blueface unless of course I find another blueface.

:rock:

Steve

Attachments

• adamamppr2030.jpg
    adamamppr2030.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 18,148
Speaking of Adam Jones tone. There was a amp once listed on ebay that had his settings marked and a signature from Peter on the back. The seller claimed that it was an amp once belonging to Adam Jones of TOOL(I saved the pics from the auction).

I was wondering if this was infact Adam's amp?

Peter - is this your Signature? What year would this amp have been? Why would he have a silver and a blue faced amp? What is the differences between a silver and a blu face amp other than the obvious.

I have been using these settings on my VH4, can't say for certain that it sounds exactly like Adam's tone, but does have that dark deep tone + i run the volume much lower that what it is set at in this pic. I am happy with the setting though. I do tend to run the Deep setting a little brighter though...

Attachments

• 0be5_3.jpg
    0be5_3.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 18,438
  • 0b3d_3.jpg
    0b3d_3.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 18,516
  • 0c31_3.jpg
    0c31_3.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 18,548
Whats the story with this picture?

Are they running the Heads in stereo, is this a artists rig?

Attachments

• diezelbluerack.jpg
    diezelbluerack.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 17,681
cacattack":389fextg said:
Speaking of Adam Jones tone. There was a amp once listed on ebay that had his settings marked and a signature from Peter on the back. The seller claimed that it was an amp once belonging to Adam Jones of TOOL(I saved the pics from the auction).

I was wondering if this was infact Adam's amp?

Peter - is this your Signature? What year would this amp have been? Why would he have a silver and a blue faced amp? What is the differences between a silver and a blu face amp other than the obvious.

I have been using these settings on my VH4, can't say for certain that it sounds exactly like Adam's tone, but does have that dark deep tone + i run the volume much lower that what it is set at in this pic. I am happy with the setting though. I do tend to run the Deep setting a little brighter though...

Yeah, that's one of Adam's old amps. I've seen it around the net here and there. You won't get his sound with just that amp, though. You'll need that Marshall along side it as well.

Hey EXP custom, do u still own the blue face diezel you posted pictures of back in 2010? I am the second owner of that amp and was wondering where it has been for many years. Thanks for any info

Hey all, sorry for chiming in late and hopefully not off topic.

I play in an Australian TooL Tribute band and am desperately chasing Adam's sound as best as i can.

I am looking at getting a VH4 but for the life of me cannot locate a dealer in South Australia. Is there a list of Australian Dealers that i could obtain?

I am currently using a Randall RH300 which is loud and has a brutal tone but not quite Toolish enough. I was going to aim toward the dual rectifer as they are quite common around here and can be sourced 2nd hand which helps a struggling musician but i know Diezel would be better so i am hoping to find one around.

Any help would be grateful

Cheers
Steve

Voorhees_au":3f9ir6op said:
Hey all, sorry for chiming in late and hopefully not off topic.

I play in an Australian TooL Tribute band and am desperately chasing Adam's sound as best as i can.

I am looking at getting a VH4 but for the life of me cannot locate a dealer in South Australia. Is there a list of Australian Dealers that i could obtain?

I am currently using a Randall RH300 which is loud and has a brutal tone but not quite Toolish enough. I was going to aim toward the dual rectifer as they are quite common around here and can be sourced 2nd hand which helps a struggling musician but i know Diezel would be better so i am hoping to find one around.

Any help would be grateful

Cheers
Steve

Shane from BMusic imports all Diezel's and I believe he has most of them in stock?? http://bmusic.com.au/index.php?main_pag ... 1672531a04

Hope this helps.

Thanks you so much Phillip, over $5,000 - wow i might need to re-mortgage my house before i visit the shop. At least i know i can get them now :D

Voorhees_au":34ofe399 said:
Thanks you so much Phillip, over $5,000 - wow i might need to re-mortgage my house before i visit the shop. At least i know i can get them now :D

No worries dude. I do Highly highly highly recommend getting a German made Diezel cabinet to match. I've tried my Diezel's with every cab you can think of. It just totally transforms the sounds of the amp. It's like owning a nice lowered HSV and putting cheap Chinese imported wheels on it. It makes it yuk.

Cheers.

[/quote]No worries dude. I do Highly highly highly recommend getting a German made Diezel cabinet to match. I've tried my Diezel's with every cab you can think of. It just totally transforms the sounds of the amp. It's like owning a nice lowered HSV and putting cheap Chinese imported wheels on it. It makes it yuk.
Fair call..... I have not even heard the head in action (apart from seeing Tool Live) I might give the shop a call and see if they have one with a cab for me to test.

EXPcustom":353179zt said:
Since I have owned two Bluefaces I noticed something so I wanted to share with you guys here especially the Adam Jones Tonez chasers like me. :LOL: :LOL:

Sometime in late 96 or early 97 Peter had made a revision to the VH4 Blueface and you can see it went from "Old script" to "New script". Look at Adam's Blueface and you can see it has the "Old script". Note no bright switch for channel 2.

What I do know is the Power transformers maybe different? On the back of my "old script" there is a switch to go from 110v to 220v. On the newer script and modern silverface the conversion has to be done by using a soldering iron.

Peter if you are reading this can you tell us what year was Adam Jones VH4 Blueface? Also when did you go from the Old script to Newer style script and was there anything else major about this revision. Is the later Blueface with the new script much more similar to the silverface?

Now for pics.

New script 97 blueface which now belongs to another member of this forum.
DSC02146.jpg

Note the back and serial numbers are done just like the silverface VH4.
DSC02169.jpg

Old script 95 this is number 25.

Diezel1-1.jpg

Note the back, serial and power outlet:

Diezel2.jpg

There should be no big difference between the amps sound wise.
But Jesus, I cannot remember on every detail.

For the main transformers there was a need for the distributors to have
it pre wired for the country main voltage to avoid cheaper imports
from Germany. That makes no sense nowadays because of the exchange rates
and shipment costs.

Further it´s a matter of the voltage selectors and the primary windings.
It´s not save enough for German electrical law in order to have more than
two voltages. We need 100 V, 120 V, 230 V and 240 V for the different
countries.

There is no more secret to re wire the primaries. I can send a service
manual and schematic.

Cheers,
Peter

nice post!
i just had the luck to get one 97 blue vh4...i´d owned 4 vh4...include a vh4 blue reedition that i have already...and the old one its killer...
its less gain, but nice. more dynamics..more headroom...i don't know. its just the holy grail of diezel tone...
lafoto1copia_zpsc88fddd4.jpg

lafoto2copia_zpse1a345af.jpg

lafoto_zps83aaca8b.jpg

i even putted on sale for a few days :doh: , but after get some "famous" offers...i decided to retire it...its a god gift in my hands! :rock:

Hello! Sorry to bring this back from the dead! If anyone has diezel blueface from the 90s and is willing to sell it to me I'd be eternally grateful! Please let me know (:

Back