Ray Gillen Sabbath

skoora

As a lot of you probably know Ray Gillen originally was the vocalist for Sabbath when they were doing Eternal Idol but left the band and they got Tony Martin to re-do most of the vocals and tour. I found this on YT of the songs with Ray's vocals and they're just killer.

I loved Ray Gillen at the time, I had a bootleg from his live Sabbath stuff...but now? The music and vocals are unlistenable to me

I heard that Record Company insisted it be released under Black Sabbath...presumably they still owed albums under contract. Iommi wanted this released under something different and that would have been better because this era of Sabbath sounds very different.

That said, I think I like this stuff with Gillen on it at least as much as the Martin versions....I love Gillen's vocals in general.

I don't like Tony martin's voice at all but think Ray's voice really elevates this stuff. Iommi, even when being a little cheesy, can do no wrong for me.

When I was in HS when the Tony era was in full swing, I thought that Tony had a great voice (and really he does). But when I heard Ray doing the songs, you realize that he just has more soul. This is especially apparent on The Shining, where Tony essentially sings note for note with Ray, but Ray just has a little more rasp and grit in the right places.

shredhead7":1918i0wt said:
But when I heard Ray doing the songs, you realize that he just has more soul. This is especially apparent on The Shining, where Tony essentially sings note for note with Ray, but Ray just has a little more rasp and grit in the right places.

:thumbsup:

Back