Finished my Carvin build (neck-thru explorer)

So back on May I happened to score a second hand Carvin neck blank for a hundred bucks. And, since I work in a wood shop, I traced out my buddy's Gibson Explorer Pro, and got to work. It turned out really well overall, but being 24 frets and a 25-1/2" scale, it feels a bit different than a Gibson. I really didn't want to have a pickguard, but trying to drill wiring holes was a bitch!
A bit more mahogany, locking Schallers, an EMG Het set, some various Carvin hardware, and I've got a new guitar for less than $400! I do still need a case though...

Looks amazing man! I love the natural finish on that! Wasn't the Explorer Pro something like 30% smaller than a normal explorer? Your explorer looks like it's just like the standard explorer (at least the size)! I even like the cavity covers you made!

That's awesome man. Quality looking build there. How does it play and sound?

One question: the screws on the cover plates are stainless, nickel,?? Why not black? I'm asking if it was preference or another reason? Just curious...they just kinda caught my eye.

Thanks guys! Yes, the Explorer Pro is smaller, maybe 20%? I don't remember exactly, but that's what this one is! The same buddy who's guitar I traced just bought a real '76 Explorer and that thing feels huge!
Between the Carvin neck and the EMG set, it's easy to get it playing and sounding great. And the mahogany is quite resonant.
I still mean to put some black screws in the control cavities, I just haven't yet.

Anyone have another neck blank to sell me?

Tuckerbomb":5cplk9ju said:
Thanks guys! Yes, the Explorer Pro is smaller, maybe 20%? I don't remember exactly, but that's what this one is! The same buddy who's guitar I traced just bought a real '76 Explorer and that thing feels huge!
Between the Carvin neck and the EMG set, it's easy to get it playing and sounding great. And the mahogany is quite resonant.
I still mean to put some black screws in the control cavities, I just haven't yet.

Anyone have another neck blank to sell me?

Snag some of your girls nail polish, about the same color as the wood. They disappear like magic. :LOL: :LOL:

Just an awesome axe though. A skill set I wish I had. :thumbsup:

I don't know what I was thinking, the Carvin neck thru blanks are actually a 25" scale. I'm gonna go looking for a case today!

This is the hottest explorer I've ever seen in my life by far. Congrats on the build. She looks great

Ahh!!!!! I've always wanted an explorer (after mine got "stolen" from me...a story for another time), and lately the GAS has been BAD. I've been staring at old Gibson E2s and the Chapman Ghost Frets for 3 days now.

Very cool man. It looks great! So many custom builds/parts guitars on RT today.

Glad you guys dig it, but as cool as it is, I'll probably put it up for auction soon. Being a bedroom player these days, it's a bit too angular to be comfortable. I need something more ergonomic I think. I knew this when I started the build, but I also knew it would be fun to see it through!

Back