Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Tue, Apr 23, 2019 7:52am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 14, 2018 2:43pm 
Apprentice NOOB

Are you human?: 951
I have a Splawn 4x12 with Gh12-65s and Emminence Small blocks in an X pattern. I currently run a Chupacabra 100, Mesa Boogie Jp-2C thru it and occasionally a DsL40c. It crushes for high gain. WAAAY better then the Marshall Silver Jubilee 40 x12 with V30s in it.

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 14, 2018 5:09pm 
Supah Stah

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
mhenson42 wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:
I'm thinking of replacing the Greenbacks on top of my Friedman 4x12: I just don't like them as much. Too much sizzle for me. perhaps that's the speaker breaking up earlier due to low wattage?

I'd like to try something else and am torn between CB H75 or M65. I know the H75 can also be a bit bitey, and I want the amp to add that via Treble and Presence (I play Friedmans, so they have plenty of that).

Any recent experiences between the two Creambacks in this context?

Cheers!

I can't speak to the CB65, but I love the CB75 - they are a little bitey - as you say - which is why I like them. I have a quad in a wizard cab, which is similar to the Friedman cab (I've owned both at the same time). I have another wizard cab loaded with Fane F70s - and in comparison, they are a little smoother and less bite. The Fanes would probably be right up your ally.

Cool, man. Are the Fane 70s you speak of the Ascension F70s?

Yes. Avatar distributes them...

https://avatarspeakers.com/shop/speakers/ascension-f70/

Cabs: Wizard x 3 - Fryette x 2

Great Transactions - Click Here:
http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=64423

Ineptocracy - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 18, 2018 11:49am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

FourT6and2 wrote:
Put the quad of G12H-75s in today and gave my new KSR Gemini a whirl through the cab.

Initial impressions are...

Fuck yes. :D

Angry. Tight low end. Snarly upper mids. Treble is not harsh at all, but it's a cutting, searing sound. I must have torqued the speakers down just right because there's that sort of semi-hollow lower mid range that is hard to explain. But I like it. Through the original speakers, it was I was fighting the amp. Now it's like the demon's been unleashed lol. Cliche as hell. But whatever. These might just overthrow the G12M-25 as my favorite speaker... I'll have to run my Chupacabra through this cab now to see.

One thing I did differently from any other cab I've had, though, is wiring it at 8 ohms. All my other cabs and speakers are 16. I don't know why. I've just always bought 16-ohm-speakers. But thought I'd give 8 ohm a try. I don't think that's the big thing about this setup, but I'm very happy!

Still into these H75s? I need two of something to blend and since nothing van touch my creamback g12m cab I have to ask...

'79 1960B Marshall Cab w/G12M-25 creambacks

Numerous Custom Jackson King V's

Sell me your Jackson KV1T :rawk:

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 15, 2019 4:52pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Bump. Still on the quest. Was thinking to replace the Greenbacks on top of my Friedman 4x12 with Creambacks or Mesa V30s. Just want more power and balls.

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 15, 2019 7:21pm 
Immortal Rock God

Gsxrbusa wrote:
FourT6and2 wrote:
Ok, thanks! I'll give 'em a shot.

cecilbag wrote:
That makes me want to get some 75s as well.

Sweet! The 75w is like the perfect V30. No honk in mids and smoother top end.

I'm likely swapping out 2 x V30s in my OS412 Bogner cab for 2 x Cream75s. After a lot of R&D, seems the 75s have a "knock" to them and pair well with the V30s for more aggressive music - and they also sound good clean. That one dude from Windowpane that exhibits a lot of gesticulation whilst playing does a bang up A/B comparo:

I'm going with 75s as I want low end maintained, and knock. Punch. Growl. Clear open throttled goodness.

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 15, 2019 8:19pm 
Apprentice NOOB

Considering all the British style speakers brands, I think Scumback offers the best sounding Brit types to date -- all factory broken in for ~$180 shipped. B4 buying any more Celestions, I'd get a good grasp of all the Scumback variants. The 65W or 100W rated M75, H75 or J75 (like V-type) might do the trick for you. They also offer "-PVC" versions that have a more "woody" sound, as well as some wide dust cap versions with a smoother high end for high gain playing. They also have 55Hz M & H and the harder/sharper sounding Blackback M & H cone versions, as well as the more expensive AlNiCo Silver and Blue types. They sound just as described, so you can really hone in on what you want.

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 15, 2019 9:04pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Ventura wrote:
Gsxrbusa wrote:
FourT6and2 wrote:
Ok, thanks! I'll give 'em a shot.

cecilbag wrote:
That makes me want to get some 75s as well.

Sweet! The 75w is like the perfect V30. No honk in mids and smoother top end.

I'm likely swapping out 2 x V30s in my OS412 Bogner cab for 2 x Cream75s. After a lot of R&D, seems the 75s have a "knock" to them and pair well with the V30s for more aggressive music - and they also sound good clean. That one dude from Windowpane that exhibits a lot of gesticulation whilst playing does a bang up A/B comparo:

I'm going with 75s as I want low end maintained, and knock. Punch. Growl. Clear open throttled goodness.

I have a KSR 2x12 on order with 1 V30 and 1 Creamback 75. So I'm glad to hear this. I have a Splawn cab with 2 Creamback 65's and while it's a great cab I think it's better suited for lower gain applications.

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 15, 2019 11:23pm 
Immortal Rock God

GCKelloch wrote:
Considering all the British style speakers brands, I think Scumback offers the best sounding Brit types to date -- all factory broken in for ~$180 shipped. B4 buying any more Celestions, I'd get a good grasp of all the Scumback variants. The 65W or 100W rated M75, H75 or J75 (like V-type) might do the trick for you. They also offer "-PVC" versions that have a more "woody" sound, as well as some wide dust cap versions with a smoother high end for high gain playing. They also have 55Hz M & H and the harder/sharper sounding Blackback M & H cone versions, as well as the more expensive AlNiCo Silver and Blue types. They sound just as described, so you can really hone in on what you want.

Absolutely NO denying that Jim's speakers are top-drawer. Was just trying to stay in the parameters of "all things Celestion" for purpose of the thread. But ya, Jim / Scumback are unto a league of their own IMHO.

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 16, 2019 9:57am 
Rock God

Still rocking the 75s in my Bogner 4x12. They're great speakers. I don't even use my Greenback cab anymore. Might do something with that one and try some Scumbacks for the hell of it. I'm kinda curious how the M65 Creambacks sound in comparison, though.

Mayones Duvell MBC

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 16, 2019 10:29am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Two Creamback 65's in my Achillies semi-open back 2x12 cab:

I know I'm not really a hard-edged metal player, but even with my Drop C tuned Edwards I thought the 65's were plenty tight.

https://myspace.com/firejack18/music/songs

TO PURCHASE MY CD OR MP3'S:
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/Firejack

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 16, 2019 10:53am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

JerEvil wrote:

Whoa! Nice tones there Jer.

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 16, 2019 11:01am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Gsxrbusa wrote:

This sounds killer too, but Tom always sounds like this no matter what he plays through. He has incredible inherent percussive ninja attack in his hands. :D

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 16, 2019 12:50pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

fusedbrain wrote:
I own and use both. I think they both do a good job of being a higher powered version of the respective greenback they are representing, 12M's for the M65 & H30's for H75. They are great mixed together or an M65 mixed with a V30 is also very cool.
The only issue I've had is when I used a pair of M65's together in a Bogner 2x12, I thought the bottom end was kinda loose and not really suited to heavier styles. Mixing in an H75 or a V30 with the M65 fixed the problem. An H75 with a V30 was too much for me in the upper mids / high end.
I've voiced the opinion before on here that I thought the 65's were too loose for metal, but others have dis-agreed, and I believe it was Jer-Evil who posted a vid using the 65's that sounded pretty good. For me, 2x65's in the Bogner OS with a Twin Jet or a 5150 was a mess. Not good at all. :dunno:
If I was loading a 4x12, I'd probably go with a pair of each type of Creamback, but a 4x12 with 2x65's and 2xV30's would give you a similar vibe to a Friedman cab with higher power handling. I think either one would sound fantastic, but I would definitely shy away from using 4x M65's, especially if you already have a greenback cab.

This is a very accurate representation of my experiences with creambacks as well, although I prefer the 65 over the 75. Also as mentioned in the above post, imo creambacks need to be mixed with something else, like a V30 or an alnico cream. I did not enjoy mixing the creamback with each other, or using them alone, they need something to compliment what they do well.

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 17, 2019 9:08am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

GOHOINC wrote:
fusedbrain wrote:
I own and use both. I think they both do a good job of being a higher powered version of the respective greenback they are representing, 12M's for the M65 & H30's for H75. They are great mixed together or an M65 mixed with a V30 is also very cool.
The only issue I've had is when I used a pair of M65's together in a Bogner 2x12, I thought the bottom end was kinda loose and not really suited to heavier styles. Mixing in an H75 or a V30 with the M65 fixed the problem. An H75 with a V30 was too much for me in the upper mids / high end.
I've voiced the opinion before on here that I thought the 65's were too loose for metal, but others have dis-agreed, and I believe it was Jer-Evil who posted a vid using the 65's that sounded pretty good. For me, 2x65's in the Bogner OS with a Twin Jet or a 5150 was a mess. Not good at all. :dunno:
If I was loading a 4x12, I'd probably go with a pair of each type of Creamback, but a 4x12 with 2x65's and 2xV30's would give you a similar vibe to a Friedman cab with higher power handling. I think either one would sound fantastic, but I would definitely shy away from using 4x M65's, especially if you already have a greenback cab.

This is a very accurate representation of my experiences with creambacks as well, although I prefer the 65 over the 75. Also as mentioned in the above post, imo creambacks need to be mixed with something else, like a V30 or an alnico cream. I did not enjoy mixing the creamback with each other, or using them alone, they need something to compliment what they do well.

Hmmm...Leaning toward CB65's base on the the above.

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 17, 2019 9:21am 
Supah Stah

I've had CB75s mixed with v30s and with Alnico Creams. They sound great with those combos. I recently switched to all CB75s, which I prefer. I have pair of Scumback H75s in the mail that will complete quad of H75s in another cab (identical cab) - which will be an interesting comparison - 4 CBH75s vs 4 Scumback H75s vs 4 Fane F70s all in identical 412s.

Cabs: Wizard x 3 - Fryette x 2

Great Transactions - Click Here:
http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=64423

Ineptocracy - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 17, 2019 9:25am 
Journeyman NOOB

/\ That is awesome! I've been really curious about the Scumbacks and Fanes. Looking forward to your comparison.

I have a 412 X pattern Creamback H75/Vintage 30 and am thinking of going all H75. The V30 spike is just not my thing.

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 17, 2019 12:52pm 
Apprentice NOOB

You might try one of the Large Dust Cap Scumback options for high gain playing. I'm actually not sure what the J types are modeled after. Jim describes them as in between the M and H in the high end response. Seems lie like a V-type, but the J75-LDC might sound more like an original G12-65?

Here's a comparison of a Celestion G12M-65 and a 65W Scumback M75:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaQtU3rJjEw

I prefer the fatter bass and less-edgy/more-open high end of the M75. The (Chinese?) G12M-65 just sounds like a cheaper speaker. It may not be broken in, but I doubt that makes that much difference.

Considering the sweet vintage character of the M series, I'd go with a J type for modern high gain. Technically, the bigger magnet also gives it tighter bass response.

Pete Thorn did a great Scumback demo comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3eEMWyk0TE

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 17, 2019 2:24pm 
Immortal Rock God

Meeotch wrote:
/\ That is awesome! I've been really curious about the Scumbacks and Fanes. Looking forward to your comparison.

I have a 412 X pattern Creamback H75/Vintage 30 and am thinking of going all H75. The V30 spike is just not my thing.

I think a lot will depend too if it's front mounted or rear mounted - I'd imagine some of the higher bite or spike might be reigned in with a RL configuration.
Just something to consider.

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 18, 2019 12:52am 
Apprentice NOOB

In this weeks obsession with Scumback speakers, I narrowed it down to three clips of three good speakers for different flavors of high gain. They all have large dust caps:

https://www.scumbackspeakers.com/newcli ... wn-FJA.mp3

I am pretty sure the J75-LD is a V-Type cone with a large dust cap. The WGS Vet 30 is also a V-Type variant. It has that nice V30 sting, but with a reduced ~3.2kHz spike. The LD cap damps the mid growl and softens the highs for a flatter/tighter overall response -- an ideal high gain speaker if there ever was one, and probably the most versatile of the three. I also like the more mid-aggressive BM75-LD a lot. Not quite as tight, but brings the ruckus in spades. The M75-LD has a bit less punch and a smoother high end -- maybe better for strictly lead playing. You could compare the BH75-LD, but I thought it has too much high end clutter. You might like the smoother H75-LD -- less-metallic and more-papery bright than the J75-LD:

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 18, 2019 7:12am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I have one cab loaded with h-75's and one cab loaded with 2-H75's and 2-G12h30's.
I prefer the combo of the 2 different speakers.
Also I noticed I don't really like the bottom end of the H75 till its broke in.

Fuck Guitar Center
Tracy amps AC1 50 watter (my brand)
Marshall jcm 800 2204
Marshall full stack 12 x 8

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 18, 2019 8:06am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

splatter wrote:
I have one cab loaded with h-75's and one cab loaded with 2-H75's and 2-G12h30's.
I prefer the combo of the 2 different speakers.
Also I noticed I don't really like the bottom end of the H75 till its broke in.

I know there’s a 70th anniversary G12H30 and Heritage G12H30 . Which one are you mixing with the Creamback H75 ?