Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Thu, Jul 02, 2020 3:49am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 25, 2018 10:28am 
Apprentice NOOB

Are you human?: 951
white buffalo wrote:
The craziest thing I've seen was at an RHCP show in 2006... The Mars Volta were opening for RHCP, but the singer (Cedric), was sick (my guess: nursing a wicked hangover) so he stayed back at the hotel while John Frusciante just came out and jammed with them for an hour. Was absolutely insane and the only time this has happened from what I gather.

Oh and also... summer 2007 Dinosaur Jr. was playing a show here in Toronto... opening act did this thing where they made pancakes ON STAGE DURING THE SHOW... and so I'm standing there in the front row and all of a sudden who walks up and stands right next to me, pancake and all? J FREAKING MASCIS!!! Guy was just casually up front chomping down some pancakes watching the opener. I freaked out, but played it cool.

:lol: :LOL: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 25, 2018 12:26pm 
Supah Stah

I just remembered another group of funny things that happened to the drummer in one of the bands I was in. Our drummer really didn't care much for dogs, cats or animals in general. We played a two night gig at a small bar. On the second night the drummer sits down at his drums and smells crap. He looks down my his kick pedal and sees that the bar owner's dog took a crap right up against the pedal...man, was he "pissed." At another gig, there were two dog incidents. At the beginning of the night the dance floor was empty during the first song. In the middle of the song the owner's dog comes out into the middle of the empty dance floor right in front of the drummer and takes a dumb...the place exploded laughing. The following night the owner's dog actually crapped inside the kick drum...yikes!

Somehow, the dogs knew! :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 25, 2018 1:09pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Standing outside the Omaha Civic Auditorium for Iron Maiden, 1987.

The sidewalk in front of the Omaha Civic Auditorium is on an incline. I saw a dude standing on the sidewalk facing the uphill side, and fall flat backwards onto the sidewalk. I could hear his head hit the sidewalk. He gets up, and keeps talking to the other guy like nothing happened.

Reverend Manta Ray HB
Ibanez Ar2619 Prestige
Hagstrom Super Viking
Ibanez S540 ('88)
Carvin Bolt
Randall 667
Fractal Axe-FX III
Egnater/Mojotone/ADA cabs

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 26, 2018 7:29am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

amiller wrote:
I just remembered another group of funny things that happened to the drummer in one of the bands I was in. Our drummer really didn't care much for dogs, cats or animals in general. We played a two night gig at a small bar. On the second night the drummer sits down at his drums and smells crap. He looks down my his kick pedal and sees that the bar owner's dog took a crap right up against the pedal...man, was he "pissed." At another gig, there were two dog incidents. At the beginning of the night the dance floor was empty during the first song. In the middle of the song the owner's dog comes out into the middle of the empty dance floor right in front of the drummer and takes a dumb...the place exploded laughing. The following night the owner's dog actually crapped inside the kick drum...yikes!

Thats pretty funny but I bet someone picked up the poo and put it in the drum to fuck with him. Sounds like something I would have done!!

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 26, 2018 7:59am 
Supah Stah

slyym wrote:
amiller wrote:

Thats pretty funny but I bet someone picked up the poo and put it in the drum to fuck with him. Sounds like something I would have done!!

Hmmm...ya know, you're probably right. I never thought about it but the bouncer at that club was somebody who just might have done that. :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 26, 2018 7:13pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

We had pole dancers onstage with us at our show over the weekend. That was definitely at the top of my list. My dad and stepmom came to see us for the first time. I’m sure they were like WTF?

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 26, 2018 7:36pm 
Supah Stah

Looks like your bassist knows what’s up, one in the pink one in the stink, not quite the shocker.

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 26, 2018 7:41pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I worked stage security for a Red Hot Chili Peppers in Hawaii, June 1989 about 2 months before Mother Milk came out. I literally sat on stage about 5 feet in front of Flea. At one point I see this group of chicks in front of me smile and their eyes were literally bugging out of their head reacting to something. So I turned around and Flea was about 3 feet from me with his pants pulled down swinging his dick in circles, then grabs the mic and says "This is my dick, just thought you should know".. then he starts banging the mic against his dick and you just hear the PA making loud booms and the crowd went nuts.

After the show I was hanging out with friends talking about the night and we see their manager with a line of hot chicks, they literally line up and stand their like a pageant. Then Anthony Kiedis and John Frusciante come out in robes and did a few takes and hand picked a few each and they went back stage.

First Act - Ola signature 25 string with Evertune
Monoprice- Indio Cali Classic Electric Guitar with Gig Bag Sunburst
Fortin modded Gorilla "Masterbuilt" GG-10 (Hand wired).

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 26, 2018 8:06pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

victim5150 wrote:
We had pole dancers onstage with us at our show over the weekend. That was definitely at the top of my list. My dad and stepmom came to see us for the first time. I’m sure they were like WTF?

That last pic looks like a dude with his dick out but I guess it the other persons foot lol!

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 26, 2018 8:13pm 
Supah Stah

slyym wrote:
victim5150 wrote:

That last pic looks like a dude with his dick out but I guess it the other persons foot lol!

The pic above that looks like a headless impaled body!

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 26, 2018 8:18pm 
Immortal Rock God

JimAnsell wrote:
been to 150+ shows.
crazy stuff:
-Seeing a guy smoking crack right in front of me at a slayer show in the early 2000's at harpos in detroit.

-Lots of people getting their assed beat, faced bloodied, teeth knocked out in front of me at that place over the years.

-Cannibal Corpse 2001, harpos again. Plain clothed DPD officer (badge around his neck, gun in holster) throwing down hard in pit with the skin heads and whatnot.

-Dio 2001 Harpos agaaain. Dude just walking around the venue naked pretty much the whole night. no one did anything. was probably high on lsd from the looks of things.

-Pine knob sod fights. notably metallica 1998. had to watch my back for the first few songs in the pavillion because it was like raining these giant chunks of sod from the lawn. imagine looking behind you and seein what looks like 5,000 people under a nearly opaque cloud of flying grass and black dirt. a friend got so dirty with it, he caught a bacterial infection and had to spend the night in the hospital.

-Glen Benton of deicide threatening to kick my ass in front of the whole crowd at St Andrews hall in 2000 or 2001. its on you tube somewhere probably. I was filming the show with a camcorder from the front row, without permission. when his roadie pointed me out to him, he stopped the show, spot light on me, and he called me out :doh: :D The whole crowd was looking at me, yelling "kick his asss gleeen!". i was like 17. i just stopped filming and walked out.

The Pine Knob sod fights are a classic. I've been there.

The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 27, 2018 6:49am 
Apprentice NOOB

Lots of memorable nights....the fights and stupidity kinda get forgotten, unless I was involved.

Yngwie opening for Dio(85 ?) in Seattle, with only 15 -20 people watching him. God he was amazing back then.

Going to see Multi bill with Exodus 85-86 in an underground parking garage Tacoma,wa. There is wrecked cars in the garage and the crowd goes insane when the bands are a no show. They set the cars on fire and one of them falls off the blicks and traps my foot......trapped and with impending flame.....and no bands😥. Pretty sure the whole thing had been a scam.

Again mid 80's, seeing the band Omen( early power metal) at a community center. No stage or any support, they just set up with floor monitors. It was crappy and they bravely played well, but the singer was 5'4ish and the rest wernt tall. Im 6'1+ standing with my toes touching the wedges while a short man in medieval LA metal gear us singing to my groin.

2016 I think, watching Ministry play to a 90% full 1500+ Showbox Sodo that was sooo dead that you could hear a pin drop between songs. It was memorable only because I couldnt remember seeing that disconnected of a crowd.

One last 80's one. Took my Mom to see Dio. She was a huge Sabbath/Dio fan and a guy tries to spark a bowl behind me...and sets my hair afire. Seeing the look on your Moms face while your on fire is a memorable night. Luckily I just lost 10 inches of hair one on side and no real burns, but damn it took forever to even out.

Axe-FxII XL
Mesa 20/20 power

ADA MP1 3TM mod
JMP 1 pre
Digitec gsp1101

Mesa Boogie F50 Head
Mesa 2x12

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 27, 2018 8:38am 
Immortal Rock God

I watched someone overdose and die at a KISS concert at Cobo Hall in 1976. They came in and took the body. The show never stopped.

The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 07, 2018 3:22pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

The Impotent Sea Snakes were the craziest thing I have seen live. My memory is a bit hazy since it was the late 90s but I seem to recall some sex on stage and other things I've not seen in other live shows. Can't remember if they were any good or not.....

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 07, 2018 4:04pm 
Journeyman NOOB

No one died, but I did see a guy at a Rush concert (HOLD YOUR FIRE tour which changed my frakkin' life, by the way)... he was obviously drunk as hell, and the concrete steps in the upper arena were very steep... he slipped and faceplanted and then accidentally did a forward roll... came up to his feet and kept walking/stumbling... the sound of loose flesh smacking concrete is pretty gross...

Side note: watching Neil Peart play "Mystic Rhythms" live was pretty damn crazy... late in the song, it just looked like he was waving his hands over the drums given the ostinato nature of the rhythm and the TONS of fills... looked like magic... and Alex's clean sound on "Prime Mover" literally seemed like it was from another planet. Goddamn what a show... if I watch the laser disc of that show, I can remember how it felt being there...

--- ISP Theta PRO DSP, ISP Theta Rack Preamp, ISP Theta Combo, Theta 2x12 Vector, Charvel Wild Card #6, Charvel SD-1, Charvel MIJ Wild Card #5 and #6, EMG 85, SAV, SAVX adammclean.bandcamp.com gregoryfrancis.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 24, 2020 9:58am 
Hack

The craziest thing that happened to me was, I spun out on a gravel road last winter, I hit the ditch, kartwheeled my car and then barrel rolled 6-7 times... my airbags malfunctioned and never went off... and I somehow walked away from that accident with not even a scratch. My injury solicators were shocked

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 24, 2020 10:59am 
Supah Stah

oliverblack77 wrote:
The craziest thing that happened to me was, I spun out on a gravel road last winter, I hit the ditch, kartwheeled my car and then barrel rolled 6-7 times... my airbags malfunctioned and never went off... and I somehow walked away from that accident with not even a scratch. My injury solicators were shocked

Which concert were you heading home from?

I went to a KISS concert back in the 90s and decided to put my hitter box inside the sleeve of my jean jacket in my fist so that when I raised my hands for the frisk, they wouldn't find it. I somehow let go and it slid down the inside of my jacket and onto the floor. They confiscated it. After the show I asked the venue manager if I could have it back. We sifted through the large bucket of stuff they had confiscated that night and I got it back.
:lol: :LOL:

Clips
My Blogs

Cool lookup site

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 24, 2020 11:14am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Probably Steel Panther when they pulled like 15 chicks up out of the crowd and convinced them to expose their tits to everyone :lol: :LOL: :inlove:

One of them happened to be this ultra babe I was standing next to in the pit so I was happy I got to see her tits :D

Another one is when I was at a Down show next to a hot chick and she stood up on the barricade and asked me to reach under her skirt and rip her thong off so she could throw them up on stage. That motherfucker was surprisingly hard to tear but I eventually got it done :lol: :LOL:

|Alexander, Effectrode, Pigtronix, and Wampler FX|

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 24, 2020 11:19am 
Supah Stah

Last year at the Korn show up here in T.O. I noticed that Parents brought their 3 and 6 yr old to the show. Sorry to say but that was one of those “stupid parent” moments. A bit of an intense concert for small children. One of them the kids was crying.

You need a license to drive a car but not to be a parent..... :doh:

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 24, 2020 11:26am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

BrokenFusion wrote:
Went to see Testament in the late 90's in a real small club. Strapping Young Lads were the opener. Their singer Devin Townsend jumped in the crowd and got in a fight with a fan, chaos ensues. The club owner shuts the whole thing down and tells everyone to get out. Me and my buddies see Chuck from Testament out behind the club by their van, we start talking to him. Chucks going on about how fucked up the night has been. To my surprise my buddy asks Chuck if he wants to burn one and he's like, yea lets go in the van. So there we are smoking a joint with Chuck Billy and a couple of the other dudes from Testament in their van behind a shitty little club in Jersey. :confused: :lol: :LOL:

That reminds me of a few more cool incidents I've been involved in - passing a joint back and forth with Kirk and Phil at a Down show while they were on stage playing

Seeing Dillinger Escape Plan at the Parish Room above the HOB in New Orleans and the guitar player cut a front flip off the stage and slammed a security guard in the forehead with his pointy ESP headstock - show instantly over

Also smoked weed with Dax Riggs and his band a couple times in the early Deadboy and the Elephant Men days

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 24, 2020 11:29am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

romanianreaper wrote:
This isn't a really crazy story but a few years ago I saw Whitesnake and they all had "in ears". Well the P.A. completely cut out and all of the amps were running thru it. So we go from hearing the full sound to everything cutting out except for un-miced snare, bass drum and high hat. They have no idea that the sound is gone and are still posing and rocking out. We literally could hear cars passing the venue, people coughing, and bugs flying around. It was the weirdest visual ever.

Similar thing happened at a Lamb of God show I was at in Dallas - midway through their set a breaker or something must have tripped and everything went silent except for the drums :D

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 24, 2020 11:36am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Fee Waybill from the Tubes pulled his cock out back in 1981 for a song. I asked him about a couple of years ago when they came to town and the whole band looked at me and started to laugh, except Waybill. He said grumpily, "no, I don't remember that" to which the band started laughing even louder. I asked about a couple of former members, Bill Spooner (the mastermind IMO) and Re Styles, not a good idea to ask a miserable fuck like Fee!

Ted Nugent, New Haven, CT 1978. Kids were streaming non-stop into the New Haven Colliseum through the roof, hundreds. After the concert, kids were throwing bottles from the parking lot on the roof to the street below literally littering the street and damaging cars below. It made national news headlines.

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 24, 2020 4:10pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Crazy in a good way: AC/DC Concert about 10 years ago. Had pretty decent seats to the side of the stage. A guy on the first row had a toddler in his arm for the entire concert. The kid had on construction headphones and the dad was the most energetic guy in the crowd. Nonstop, perpetual Motion with fist in the air. Could see his big smile from where i was several rows up. Acted like it was the greatest moment of his life, and I hope it was

I would love to know the backstory. Either he could not get a babysitter and had to take the kid with him, He was trying to expose the kid to good music early in life, or he is about to divorce the mother and figured he’d go out like a boss. Either way, I still chuckle thinking of the expression on the guy’s face. Nonstop excitement for several hours. :D

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 24, 2020 4:19pm 
Rock God Trainee

Genitorturers, no question. A lot of bondage, big rubber dildos shooting white shit all over the place, and pornographic images on a screen in the background hammering some guys nuts to a board with a hammer and nails.

Was quite shocking and freaky. But, they kicked ass. Badass bass player, and Jerry Outlaw on guitar. Gen, the singer was pretty hot. I believe she is/was married to David Vincent from Morbid Angel. 90's in Tampa.. What a time it was!

I was in a death metal band at the time and the other guitar player took me. I had NO idea what I was getting myself into..

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 24, 2020 10:23pm 
Hack

Iron Maiden on this latest tour. General admission on the arena floor. I didn't expect a crazy crowd. I was right up front, just off center. Bunch of old timers are behind me waiting for the show to start. A guy has his son near me. I don't think they expected a crazy crowd either. The band starts and the crowd is excited but keeps it together. Third song is 2 Minutes to Midnite. I look over my shoulder, the old timers have vanished in a whirling sea of maniacs. I can only assume they were never seen again. The kid is clinging to his Dad for dear life. After the Clansman the Dad evacuates the kid. Up over the barricade and gone. I hope they are reunited someday. It was just in time, the next song was The Trooper and things just went apeshit. It never stopped. Dad is sucked up in the vortex. He emerges a few songs later half nude. To the left of me is the circle, to the right of me is every dumbass who brings his girlfriend into a pit. I'm in the middle, stupidly holding off the entire cyclone of death for the sake of the poor fools next to me while Bruce is holding court just above us. Towards the end of the show massive fat guy was going apeshit at the front. The guards grabbed him by the shirt and attempted to extract him. His brand new $60 tour shirt was shredded but he slipped into the sea. At one point a topless chick riding her boyfriend's shoulders fell onto my face ass first. I did not mind. After the show I bumped into the fat man and we had a good laugh about this escape. I bumped into the topless girl again and she did not seem happy to see me. As the crowd dispersed I saw the kid walking with his new Daddy. Outside the venue I bumped into the couple I protected, they thanked me for being a dumbass and bought me a beverage.

I've been in a lot of pits. I was in the shit for Motorhead and the things I saw in there I thought could not be topped. But Maiden was a perfect storm. It just had everything.

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 25, 2020 12:07am 

The WORST THING EVER in my concert years ...
Joan jett.... night ranger. Killer bill right?!?
Night ranger. Rocked out!!!
Played at a Indian casino. The ‘stage’ was like 2 feet off the ground. Flat floor.
Card table chairs for seating. If you don’t stand .... cant see!! SUCKED!!
Soooo Joan Jett comes on. Me and the wife we stand. Jamming out. With hundreds of others
I get a tap on my shoulder. ‘Sir you and your wife need to sit down the people behind you can’t see.’
I turn. Some 450 pound slob buried in a chair giving me the stink eye.
Told the usher .’well tell her ass to stand up or roll herself into the isle and she can see!
FAST FORWARD....., 10 minutes later.
I’m in the pisser. Actually mid stream taking a piss. Hand on my shoulder.
I turn look (still pissing). Indian casino security guard.
Simply said ‘Get your hands off me Mother Fucker!! Or someone will get hurt! And that someone won’t be me!’
So he backs off. We go back to the security office (concert still going on)
I explained I spent $80 a ticket. Wanna see the show. Are we done?!?’

Two fat slobs.... ‘yes your FREE TO GO..’
I said ok then FUCK YOU GUYS!! (Middle fingers up)

Went back to the show. But night was ruined. :yes:

Found out later. If it wasn’t on ‘indian land’ I could of won thousands in damages.
:lol: :LOL:
Oh well. Should of turned and pissed on the security guy.

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 25, 2020 4:10am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

stephen sawall wrote:
I watched someone overdose and die at a KISS concert at Cobo Hall in 1976. They came in and took the body. The show never stopped.

that happend at a Slipknot show at harpos in 2004 too. a girl od'ed on xtc, and they just scooped her up, took her outside, ems called it. sad shit to see, but thats life when you fuck around with hard drugs. :aww:

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 25, 2020 4:19am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Devin wrote:
Probably Steel Panther when they pulled like 15 chicks up out of the crowd and convinced them to expose their tits to everyone :lol: :LOL: :inlove:

One of them happened to be this ultra babe I was standing next to in the pit so I was happy I got to see her tits :D

Another one is when I was at a Down show next to a hot chick and she stood up on the barricade and asked me to reach under her skirt and rip her thong off so she could throw them up on stage. That motherfucker was surprisingly hard to tear but I eventually got it done :lol: :LOL:

I saw Steel Panther do the same thing at a show. But the one girl who tried to take the spotlight was very drunk and had a ton of hair in her cleavage. Weird!

TC Electronic BG250
(2) Randall RM100's

Salvation MTS mods- Rockerverb, Mesa Mark IV, CCV, Framus Cobra, Friedman Dirty Shirley
Kemper

Peace & ZEN

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 25, 2020 8:43am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

It was before the show, but snuck into a Rush soundcheck on the Roll the Bones tour in Stuttgart. I had seen them a week earlier in Cologne, so I knew what the passes looked like. I had been living in Germany for a year by then, so I had no accent knew how to look like I belonged. Snuck in through the production parking lot, watched them play about four songs in their normal street clothes, while Primus played frisbee on the empty arena floor (no chairs, all GA). That was fun.

Marshall 2553
4 Warehouse Invaders (16 ohm)
Les Paul 120th Anniv. - lemonburst
DiMarzio Air Norton and Tone Zone

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 25, 2020 9:05am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

the rossness wrote:

I saw Steel Panther do the same thing at a show. But the one girl who tried to take the spotlight was very drunk and had a ton of hair in her cleavage. Weird!

:lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 25, 2020 9:33am 
Plank Cranker

I wouldn't say craziest but I've got alot of stories. I've seen / worked over 350 shows during my life. Here's a few although their pretty mild.

Metallica - Sod fight, must just be a Metallica thing but it happened at Starwood in Nashville as well. And then they started setting whatever they could find on fire. In the middle of the lawn seating there was this giant bonfire and people dancing around...surreal.

Kiss - Farewell Tour...never seen girls just openly posing naked. My friend had his little instant camera and the girls sitting around us were literally disrobing for him, top to bottom. And to beat all, he lost the damn camera. Same show, Ace is out of his mind and while trying to hook his guitar to the prop that takes it to the ceiling he just drops it, full on feedback and everything. Ace also tried to play Shock Me twice, Paul strolls up to the mic and goes...yeah Ace, we just played that one lol.

Skynryd - Some drunk crashes his car into the main power transformer, concert goes dead quite losing power. They pull the plug on the show and the fans rioted, busted all the windows out of my box office, threw trashcans, trees etc... anything they could get their hands on threw the windows.

Lots of shows - as people would be entering the pavilion and getting searched there was a fence near the line, after the shows you could walk the inside of the fence and find every drug imaginable, syringes, beer, knives and one time a freaking gun.

Quiet Riot / Whitesnake...this guy takes a tumble down the entire section of seats coming off the floor. Now this arena (Roundhouse Chattanooga) is steep as hell. He falls from the top, hits everything in site on the way down, bounces up as the crowd applauds and limps off. We're on the other side of the arena and watch every grinding hit laughing our ass off. Didn't know it at the time but the guy turned out to be our best friend and broke his ankle in two places.

Kiss - watched Gene drop kick a roll of toilet paper and it was perfect. This was on the Creatures tour, crowds were light, Gene was pissed. But at one point some dude launched a roll of toilet paper from the upper deck...was like in slow motion and the thing is unfolding perfectly and right after it hits the stage Gene in perfect fashion drop kicks it right back out in the audience. Minor stuff but the visual was cool as hell.

My personal favorite experience...Journey on the Departure tour. Me and my buddy find an open door into the arena (Knoxville Civic), sneak in and take in all of Journey's soundcheck. We're sitting in the risers right off the side of Neal, guy comes on the PA and asks us to leave, Neal responds back on the PA - it's cool they can stay. Dude played to us for the rest of the soundcheck and he's been in my top 5 fav guitarists since lol.

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 25, 2020 11:59am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

incubus and deftones in the late 90s or early 2000's. i was in the middle of the floor during incubus, and this dude i knew from my high school run into us, and was chatting for a bit. then out of no where he goes "watch this", and throws this like full 40oz soda from "Center ice" all the way to the stage and totally nailed that douchebag singer for incubus. he didn't react at all, he just kept singing like a pro....but man, did he ever nail him! :lol: :LOL: I began to inch away so as to no get kicked out lol. not that crazy, but for a guy who was a burn out, he sure did show his sandbagged quarterback skills :lol: :LOL:

the same dio show i mentioned before with the naked dude.... i was probably 17. i was standing near the front on craig goldys side, and before dio came out, this 50 year old cougar came up from behind and full on grabbed my entire package with one hand, and started putting her hands through my hair with the other, pretty much sexually assulting me. I was so boyish lookin back then too, it was kinda creepy. if it happened now, i'd be thrilled :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 25, 2020 2:50pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

JimAnsell wrote:
incubus and deftones in the late 90s or early 2000's. i was in the middle of the floor during incubus, and this dude i knew from my high school run into us, and was chatting for a bit. then out of no where he goes "watch this", and throws this like full 40oz soda from "Center ice" all the way to the stage and totally nailed that douchebag singer for incubus. he didn't react at all, he just kept singing like a pro....but man, did he ever nail him! :lol: :LOL: :

Damn, that's kinda shitty honestly, Brandon Boyd is one of the coolest guys I have ever met in the music business. Super down to earth and friendly to everyone.

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 25, 2020 3:22pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I was at a WASP concert in the early 2000s, don't remember the exact year but Darrell Roberts was the guitar player at the time. I had recently been diagnosed with diverticulitis and was on two strong antibiotics. My doc said don't drink alcohol on these because they are really hard on your kidneys and you won't like it anyway, because alcohol plus these meds will create a sickening metallic taste in your mouth.

I decided to drink anyway and eventually the metallic taste went away. I was maybe 20 feet from the stage and there was a small pit going on and I was trying to stay on the outside of it and enjoy the concert. Then I spontaneously barfed out my ass. I tried to walk away like nothing had happened but it soon became obvious I had shit myself in an anal assault of booze and medications.

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 25, 2020 4:38pm 

Dude.... that’s the ULTIMATE exit!!

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 25, 2020 4:48pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

2009 at what used to be the LC Pavilion in Columbus, during Lamb of God's set a guy fell from the balcony and landed hard. Show stops immediately, the band just hangs out on stage while the medics rush over. About 10 minutes go by and the guy's still down and then they finally carry him off. Randy goes "only in Columbus", and then the show carried on.

That show also sticks in my memory because I was really there for Children of Bodom, and 2 weeks later Alexi broke his shoulder so I was glad to catch him before that. Also first time I had ever heard/saw Municipal Waste who opened, been a huge fan ever since.

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 25, 2020 4:55pm 

That lamb of god Prague concert. Jesus.
Really tragic.

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 29, 2020 11:37am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I was at Ozzfest years ago when it was at the Blossom Music Center outside Cleveland when Disturbed was playing in the middle of the day and people lost their minds. It was when they were on their first album. People in the lawn section started ripping up the grass and throwing it. It was like the sky was raining dirt. At one point, I had a three foot chunk of sod fall onto my head, only to turn around and find three people fighting back laughter. I just shrugged it off and went back in the pit.

I remember taking a shower right after we got back at my buddy's house. I just stood hunched over rinsing the mud out of my dreadlocks and watching the brown water circle the drain. We all came home covered in dirt after that show.

The other good one was at the House of Blues in Cleveland for an Opeth show. A guy grabbed my attention mid song to tell me someone peed on his leg. When I finally realized what he was saying, I looked down and saw that I was standing in a puddle. I moved over a few steps and watched the show. After the song, Mikael Akerfeldt as BSing with the crowd. The guy shouted "Someone peed on me!" And Mikael had the same reaction I did:

"What?"

The crowd laughed and he moved on to the next song.

Redbear MK120
Mesa Recto 4x12
Mesa Traditional 4x12
Rivera K412T
Splawn 4x12

Ampeg SVT II Pro
Ampeg SVT III Pro
Ampeg 8x10s (Plural!)

Endorsing Spector basses

Haulmark 5x8 utility trailer to get it all there!

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 29, 2020 12:02pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I played in front of 2000 people on LSD once. Saw some crazy shit!

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 29, 2020 1:22pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

sutepaj wrote:
I played in front of 2000 people on LSD once. Saw some crazy shit!

:lol: :LOL: my man!

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 29, 2020 4:25pm 
Plank Cranker

Rush with Joe Perry Project opening, at Alpine Valley in Wisconsin in 1981:
Walking down the cement stairs to our seats, a biker dude in front of us slipped and fell, cracking his head open on the stairs... and blood spattered all over my white shoes. I was 15 years old and it left an impression on me that I think about just about every time I'm in a crowd on a staircase at a concert or sporting event.

http://www.reverbnation.com/ultramunx

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 29, 2020 6:48pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

UltraGary wrote:
Rush with Joe Perry Project opening, at Alpine Valley in Wisconsin in 1981:
Walking down the cement stairs to our seats, a biker dude in front of us slipped and fell, cracking his head open on the stairs... and blood spattered all over my white shoes. I was 15 years old and it left an impression on me that I think about just about every time I'm in a crowd on a staircase at a concert or sporting event.

damn, thats would freak me out too. saw something similar at a red wings game at Joe louis arena in the 90's. the beer guy walking up and down the stairs fell and got knocked out cold. ems had to take him out, but the game never stopped. so drunk guys were yelling at the medics to hurry up and get out of the way. people are dicks :lol: :LOL:
i'm super paranoid walking up and down steep steps at venues like that too because of that.

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 29, 2020 8:43pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Mines more awesome than crazy.

Zakk and Black Label Society around 2001 at The Canyon Club in Arlington, Texas.

I took a first date. Thought it was going to be Pride and Glory but I realized at 13 Years of Grief that it was something different ha. The girl and I are on the edge of the mosh pit. It gets spirited in there so I take her and get her outta there. When we settled in I look to my right and standing right next to me was Dimebag. He had a red solo cup and was just nodding along with the music. We did the obligatory “sup” head nod and stayed there the rest of the show. He was super chill.

Zakk was so loud but his amps got lost in the mix. Fun show though!

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 29, 2020 9:21pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I was at Ozzfest years ago when it was at the Blossom Music Center outside Cleveland when Disturbed was playing in the middle of the day and people lost their minds. It was when they were on their first album. People in the lawn section started ripping up the grass and throwing it. It was like the sky was raining dirt. At one point, I had a three foot chunk of sod fall onto my head, only to turn around and find three people fighting back laughter. I just shrugged it off and went back in the pit.
The same in Hartford, CT.

1980 UMASS Basketball type studium, Holyoke, MA. Jeff Beck on his "There and Back" tour. The warm up band, The Paul Stanley Band was booed off the stage after half a song, it was funny, the crowd's yelling was actually louder than the band. Anyway, the announcer came out after about an hour and told that Jeff was sick and wasn't going to perform. We stayed there screaming for Jeff until we sobered up and at approximately 1AM he came out and proceeded to start smashing guitars every song. Simon Phillips, his drummer was 18 years old and you couldn't see his arms moving he was playing so fast. Jeff must've smashed 10 guitars that night.

My ears are still ringing from Ritchie Blackmore, another guitar smasher, but you knew he was just smashing junk, Jeff on the other hand was smashing good guitars. I'd love to ask Jeff about it. He may have smashed a million doolars worth of guitars at todays prices.

I don't think I ever saw Brian Lee, a friend who went with Bill Mulville and I, again.

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 30, 2020 12:44pm 
Apprentice NOOB

Dethklok's first tour. They were supposed to be the opening band for And They Shall Know Us By The Trail of the Dead. Stupid name.

I later learned that Berkley freaked the fuck out when the headliner came out and essentially booed them off the stage. So, the promoter, being the geniuses behind Adult Swim at the time, decided it was simply the order of the bands. Dethklok got people too worked up.

So by the time they get to us in South Dakota, it's the other way around. I've never seen a more dead crowd than during that opening act. Literally, people just sat in their chairs staring blankly the entire set. Not a clap to be heard. Not a single voice rose up. They had up textable screens in the theater for when there wasn't something going on on stage. Anybody in the crowd could text the screen and it would get put up. All sorts of goofy shit went up there, but I will never, ever forget the very first message that came up when the opener (I'm not retyping that nonsense) finished. "Well...that was pretty terrible."

It was just a horrible fit for Dethklok. Despite the name, that band was as heavy as a box of feathers. And as somebody that can listen to about anything and find something to appreciate, especially live, I got absolutely nothing out of it. I would have felt bad for them had they been any good at all.

So after sitting on our hands for a forty-five minute set, Dethklok comes out and absolute insanity ensued. Worth it in the end, but they really should have switched the other band on the bill.

Another night, Killswitch Engage with Chimaira, Lacuna Coil and Zillion playing a house show between big sets opening with Disturbed on the Music as a Weapon 4 tour. I had seen all except Zillion two days prior at a much bigger venue and was still pretty beat up from it. So after Chimaira and Lacuna were done I moved to the back and let the youngsters keep throwing down. I set myself up right behind the sound guys so I can watch them work their magic and still enjoy the tunes. Off to the right there's this group of late teen/early twenties girls taking turns bending over and spanking each other. Fun enough to watch when bored with the band.

So this fat fucking fifty year old seems to think they're handing out free samples and stumbles his drunk ass up to them and starts grabbing. The girls rightfully start screaming and throwing a massive fit. I and a few others run up and pull him off them. Security gets involved, and wants to toss the girls out for causing a disturbance. I tried in my calmest possible manner to explain what actually happened and that if they were going to toss the girls they were going to toss me and my friends too and we wouldn't go quietly. Most of us are six foot plus and well over two hundred pounds. They called the cops expecting it to escalate. Cops get there, we explain what happened. The girls tell their side. The fat drunk cries into his hands the entire time.

Then the cops haul him off and tell us and the girls to enjoy the rest of the show.

Two nights prior I'm standing in line to get some water before Disturbed hits the stage and this dude that towers over me approaches me wreaking of beer. I'm wearing my Bugs Bunny Singing t-shirt, where Bugs has his big show-time pose. Dude walks up and goes, "Are you a christian?"

"No, I definitely wouldn't say I'm a christian."

He gives a little huff and goes, "I got a friend that's a christian. He'd wear a shirt like that."

"Cool."

He nods all sage like and goes, "Yeah. Cool." Then he wanders away.

I thought I was about to get beat down. Over Bugs Bunny of all things.

Largest pit I ever saw broke out at that show. The drum lead in for Land of Confusion barely finished before it seemed like the entire floor of the Target Center was moving as one. Absolutely insane.

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 30, 2020 11:50pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Best stage diving and mosh pit ever without a doubt - The Tony Danza Tap Dance Extravaganza - holy mother fucking crazy, it made the pits at Ozzfest look pedestrian in comparison. As soon as the band started, the kids popped up like corks! There was so many kids on stage at one point you couldn't see the band, knucking futs!

A couple of Lamb of God and Gojira war pits get silver medals for the big thing they do where people get divided two huge walls and ram into each other from like 50 feet, those were dangerous as fuck but fun to watch.

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 01, 2020 7:23pm 
Supah Stah

errrrrl wrote:
I worked stage security for a Red Hot Chili Peppers in Hawaii, June 1989 about 2 months before Mother Milk came out. I literally sat on stage about 5 feet in front of Flea. At one point I see this group of chicks in front of me smile and their eyes were literally bugging out of their head reacting to something. So I turned around and Flea was about 3 feet from me with his pants pulled down swinging his dick in circles, then grabs the mic and says "This is my dick, just thought you should know".. then he starts banging the mic against his dick and you just hear the PA making loud booms and the crowd went nuts.

After the show I was hanging out with friends talking about the night and we see their manager with a line of hot chicks, they literally line up and stand their like a pageant. Then Anthony Kiedis and John Frusciante come out in robes and did a few takes and hand picked a few each and they went back stage.

LOL!! Dude, please tell me that was at Gussie L'Amours by the airport.

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 01, 2020 9:28pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Saw many shows at Six Flags Darien Lake (near Buffalo).

We were just at the park that day and a guy on the Superman ride was yelling “Creeeeed” “Creeeeeed” as they were playing that night. He was first bumping anyone around him while we were going up the lift and he encountered someone with a big ass ring and he started bleeding. That shut him up.

At a local show at a park one of the singers lept into the crowd from a stage that must have been a good 6ft high and they all parted like the Red Sea. He was covered in dirt/dust, got back on stage and yelled at the crowd.

Saw Killswitch Engage at an Ozzfest in Pittsburgh and the crowd wasn’t to Adam’s liking. He goes something like “I hope there’s enough tampons for all these pussys out there”.

In 2008 I was a freelance photographer on my way to cover a concert and got a speeding ticket. I wrote out a letter, dressed up and saw the judge a month later. The judge read it, laughed then reduced it immediately. In the letter, which had my name next to the published photo, I told the judge "I just couldn't drive 55" as I was on my way to photograph Sammy Hagar! The area I was pulled over had a 55mph limit as well! When I hear it on the radio I smile and call my dad every time as it has become a funny thing we do to each other. Is there a better reason to be speeding?

My brother and I listened to Opie and Anthony and heard about Brian Regan say 2003ish that he was gonna be in Pittsburgh which is like 3.5hrs away (we live in rural no-where PA). We get the tickets and a month later I find out he’s coming to our town’s college! Literally 10 minute drive. I was like “are you fucking kidding me!” I go to the local show and hardly anyone knows who he is and after he’s done performing in the gymnasium he just walks over to the side. I’m like shit I’m gonna go have him sign my ticket. He was super chill and I told him the whole story and he laughed. Hes like “so are you coming to Pittsburgh then?” I’m like hell yeah! Drive round trip 7hrs to see a 70 minute set, largely the same one I saw. It was still great though!

The best story is myself and two other guys from a band I play in went to see Collective Soul last year near Corning NY. They start playing and Ed Roland is having a rough go with his vocals. He apologized to the audience after two songs and says this is the worst his voice has ever been at a show (he was sick). He said they’ll issue refunds and apologized profusely. They end up asking the crowd if anyone can sing the song “December”. My buddy and I run up to the stage and I’m yelling at the top of my lungs for my bandmate to get up there. Ed sees us, invites him onto stage and the rest is history. Took a video of the performance and we’ll hold onto it forever. It reinvigorated the band and they were able to limp their way for another 45 mins through all their hits.