Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Thu, Nov 15, 2018 10:32am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Tube talk....
PostPosted: Fri, Jun 22, 2018 3:29pm 
Offline
Rock God

Joined: Sun, Mar 25, 2012 6:51pm
Posts: 6680
Location: Wi
Are you human?: 951
Just some tube observations after a few weeks of tube rolling. My MC100 came with JJ EL34s and 12AX7s throughout. Sounded killer of course, but I have a nice stash of pre and power tubes so I put them to the test...
These are not in order of preference.

1. Vintage Mullard XF2s-these are used but strong tubes, and sound a bunch clearer and organic at volume. Big step up from the JJs. Not matched but biased up from 30-34ma. Great upper mids but the low mids are also prominent.

2. Siemens (from the 70s I believe)-Great tubes and share the same attributes as the Mullard but a tad bit more open and less congested at volume, biased between 32-34ma. Also used but strong.

3. Winged C-Most open sounding of the 4, and has this great upper mid snarl that the others don't quite get. Fantastic.

4. GT EL34LS-Best low end of the 4, but is very open and 3D with great mids. Not to be confused with the JJEL34L, which do not have the same 3D effect of the GT. I know they are supposed to be the same but there are obvious sonic differences. These have the larger heat wings vs the smaller ones that I see now on most websites, so this tube may well be out of production. Which really sucks.

I would put the Winged C at the top, followed by the Siemens and GT, Mullard 4th. But all 4 are really great and the differences are very minimal at best.

Pre tubes...

1. JJs throughout...sounds good of course, this is what Rick uses and no complaints here.

2. Vintage Mullard in V1-V3, Tungsram in V4-Very full and more open sounding, improvement overall from the JJs. More detail in the mids.

3. Vintage Mullard in V1-V2, Chinese 6n4 in V3, Tungsram in V4-More hair on the highs, yet even better upper mids. This is the combo for me.

After the last combo I stopped since it sounded so damn good. I don't think this amp would sound anything less than great no matter what tubes one tries, as long as the Wizard doesn't fry your power tubes due to the high plate voltage.

_________________
Many Toys in my Attic


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Tube talk....
PostPosted: Fri, Jun 22, 2018 4:14pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Aug 27, 2016 2:38pm
Posts: 1930
Location: Out of my mind
Are you human?: 951
Good info dude :thumbsup:

I agree with your comment on most any tubes probably sounding good in these amps. Mine's got JJ E34L in it which I'm REALLY digging. It's also got all JJ preamp tubes which I only care for in certain amps, and this is clearly one of em.

Eventually I'll try some different tubes purely out of curiosity, but right now I have no complaints.

_________________
Good transactions with: Tuckerbomb, krueger, ibzprestige, journeyman73, JerEvil, apophis, DragonCrestPC, hammered, Hardvalve, lowmantotempole, Mailman1971, FLYINRYAN11, bwgintegra


"Give me liberty, or give me Death" Patrick Henry


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Tube talk....
PostPosted: Fri, Jun 22, 2018 6:07pm 
Offline
Rock God

Joined: Sun, Mar 25, 2012 6:51pm
Posts: 6680
Location: Wi
Are you human?: 951
MetalHeadMike wrote:
Good info dude :thumbsup:

I agree with your comment on most any tubes probably sounding good in these amps. Mine's got JJ E34L in it which I'm REALLY digging. It's also got all JJ preamp tubes which I only care for in certain amps, and this is clearly one of em.

Eventually I'll try some different tubes purely out of curiosity, but right now I have no complaints.

Mine sounded amazeballs at first fire up so no need to tube roll....but since I have a pretty big stash, why not right?
And, I had a built in excuse to unleash it to the wife.."cmon, the guys are asking for me to try ALL these tubes in different combinations..it won't take that long...."

:lol: :LOL:

_________________
Many Toys in my Attic


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Tube talk....
PostPosted: Fri, Jun 22, 2018 6:14pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Fri, Jun 10, 2016 9:08am
Posts: 1843
Location: Near beer
Are you human?: 951
A Wizard...with Mullards...that's like cheating bro. :rock:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Tube talk....
PostPosted: Fri, Jun 22, 2018 6:16pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Aug 27, 2016 2:38pm
Posts: 1930
Location: Out of my mind
Are you human?: 951
Racerxrated wrote:
MetalHeadMike wrote:
Good info dude :thumbsup:

I agree with your comment on most any tubes probably sounding good in these amps. Mine's got JJ E34L in it which I'm REALLY digging. It's also got all JJ preamp tubes which I only care for in certain amps, and this is clearly one of em.

Eventually I'll try some different tubes purely out of curiosity, but right now I have no complaints.

Mine sounded amazeballs at first fire up so no need to tube roll....but since I have a pretty big stash, why not right?
And, I had a built in excuse to unleash it to the wife.."cmon, the guys are asking for me to try ALL these tubes in different combinations..it won't take that long...."

:lol: :LOL:


Gotta have the justification ready for those wives ;) I work on my justifications regularly; always coming up with good ones, but she's totally on to me after the last few months of amp splurging :aww:

I'm impressed with the E34L. Really like the aggressive mids and low end chunk in this amp. Might try the Kt77 in there at some point since I have a quad. Want to try some tungsol or chinese 12ax7s, and then I heard a 12AT7, or maybe it was 12AU7, is a good one for the loop slot? Don't think it sounds bad as is but wouldn't mind experimenting.

_________________
Good transactions with: Tuckerbomb, krueger, ibzprestige, journeyman73, JerEvil, apophis, DragonCrestPC, hammered, Hardvalve, lowmantotempole, Mailman1971, FLYINRYAN11, bwgintegra


"Give me liberty, or give me Death" Patrick Henry


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Tube talk....
PostPosted: Fri, Jun 22, 2018 8:18pm 
Offline
Rock God

Joined: Sun, Mar 25, 2012 6:51pm
Posts: 6680
Location: Wi
Are you human?: 951
SpiderWars wrote:
A Wizard...with Mullards...that's like cheating bro. :rock:

:rock:
A great as they are, the others sound a bit better to me. Still awesome and splitting hairs a bit.

_________________
Many Toys in my Attic


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Tube talk....
PostPosted: Fri, Jun 22, 2018 8:24pm 
Offline
Rock God

Joined: Sun, Mar 25, 2012 6:51pm
Posts: 6680
Location: Wi
Are you human?: 951
MetalHeadMike wrote:
Racerxrated wrote:
MetalHeadMike wrote:
Good info dude :thumbsup:

I agree with your comment on most any tubes probably sounding good in these amps. Mine's got JJ E34L in it which I'm REALLY digging. It's also got all JJ preamp tubes which I only care for in certain amps, and this is clearly one of em.

Eventually I'll try some different tubes purely out of curiosity, but right now I have no complaints.

Mine sounded amazeballs at first fire up so no need to tube roll....but since I have a pretty big stash, why not right?
And, I had a built in excuse to unleash it to the wife.."cmon, the guys are asking for me to try ALL these tubes in different combinations..it won't take that long...."

:lol: :LOL:


Gotta have the justification ready for those wives ;) I work on my justifications regularly; always coming up with good ones, but she's totally on to me after the last few months of amp splurging :aww:

I'm impressed with the E34L. Really like the aggressive mids and low end chunk in this amp. Might try the Kt77 in there at some point since I have a quad. Want to try some tungsol or chinese 12ax7s, and then I heard a 12AT7, or maybe it was 12AU7, is a good one for the loop slot? Don't think it sounds bad as is but wouldn't mind experimenting.

I don't have a loop in mine, but I do believe for the best results guys use a 12au7 for the most transparent loop. The EL34L is basically the same as the GT EL34LS but the GT has larger heat wings. They are definitely a step up in the 3D feeling at higher volume and still have that huge low end. I would try to locate a quad of the older GTs as the newer batches don't have the old version's larger heat wings and don't sound as good. When I had the 50w MTL last year it came with the JJ EL34L and I bought a new pair of GT EL34LS and it was a definite improvement.

_________________
Many Toys in my Attic


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Tube talk....
PostPosted: Sat, Jun 23, 2018 7:28pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Sep 10, 2017 1:50pm
Posts: 1091
Are you human?: 951
Racerxrated wrote:
[…] as long as the Wizard doesn't fry your power tubes due to the high plate voltage.

Thanks for posting this! I think it's always interesting to hear what tubes work in what amps. I've got a decent stash, too, and love to experiment.

Just curious, but how high is the plate voltage? I've got a couple of amps that are over 500v and I think it definitely contributes to fast attack and punch. Unfortunately, none are Wizards... yet... ;)

_________________
:rock: :rock: :rock:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Tube talk....
PostPosted: Sat, Jun 23, 2018 8:17pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Aug 27, 2016 2:38pm
Posts: 1930
Location: Out of my mind
Are you human?: 951
Racerxrated wrote:
MetalHeadMike wrote:
Racerxrated wrote:
MetalHeadMike wrote:
Good info dude :thumbsup:

I agree with your comment on most any tubes probably sounding good in these amps. Mine's got JJ E34L in it which I'm REALLY digging. It's also got all JJ preamp tubes which I only care for in certain amps, and this is clearly one of em.

Eventually I'll try some different tubes purely out of curiosity, but right now I have no complaints.

Mine sounded amazeballs at first fire up so no need to tube roll....but since I have a pretty big stash, why not right?
And, I had a built in excuse to unleash it to the wife.."cmon, the guys are asking for me to try ALL these tubes in different combinations..it won't take that long...."

:lol: :LOL:


Gotta have the justification ready for those wives ;) I work on my justifications regularly; always coming up with good ones, but she's totally on to me after the last few months of amp splurging :aww:

I'm impressed with the E34L. Really like the aggressive mids and low end chunk in this amp. Might try the Kt77 in there at some point since I have a quad. Want to try some tungsol or chinese 12ax7s, and then I heard a 12AT7, or maybe it was 12AU7, is a good one for the loop slot? Don't think it sounds bad as is but wouldn't mind experimenting.

I don't have a loop in mine, but I do believe for the best results guys use a 12au7 for the most transparent loop. The EL34L is basically the same as the GT EL34LS but the GT has larger heat wings. They are definitely a step up in the 3D feeling at higher volume and still have that huge low end. I would try to locate a quad of the older GTs as the newer batches don't have the old version's larger heat wings and don't sound as good. When I had the 50w MTL last year it came with the JJ EL34L and I bought a new pair of GT EL34LS and it was a definite improvement.


We talking the same tubes? The JJ in this Wizard are E34L. Not sure JJ make an EL34L?

_________________
Good transactions with: Tuckerbomb, krueger, ibzprestige, journeyman73, JerEvil, apophis, DragonCrestPC, hammered, Hardvalve, lowmantotempole, Mailman1971, FLYINRYAN11, bwgintegra


"Give me liberty, or give me Death" Patrick Henry


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Tube talk....
PostPosted: Sat, Jun 23, 2018 10:32pm 
Offline
Rock God

Joined: Sun, Mar 25, 2012 6:51pm
Posts: 6680
Location: Wi
Are you human?: 951
MetalHeadMike wrote:
Racerxrated wrote:
MetalHeadMike wrote:
Racerxrated wrote:
MetalHeadMike wrote:
Good info dude :thumbsup:

I agree with your comment on most any tubes probably sounding good in these amps. Mine's got JJ E34L in it which I'm REALLY digging. It's also got all JJ preamp tubes which I only care for in certain amps, and this is clearly one of em.

Eventually I'll try some different tubes purely out of curiosity, but right now I have no complaints.

Mine sounded amazeballs at first fire up so no need to tube roll....but since I have a pretty big stash, why not right?
And, I had a built in excuse to unleash it to the wife.."cmon, the guys are asking for me to try ALL these tubes in different combinations..it won't take that long...."

:lol: :LOL:


Gotta have the justification ready for those wives ;) I work on my justifications regularly; always coming up with good ones, but she's totally on to me after the last few months of amp splurging :aww:

I'm impressed with the E34L. Really like the aggressive mids and low end chunk in this amp. Might try the Kt77 in there at some point since I have a quad. Want to try some tungsol or chinese 12ax7s, and then I heard a 12AT7, or maybe it was 12AU7, is a good one for the loop slot? Don't think it sounds bad as is but wouldn't mind experimenting.

I don't have a loop in mine, but I do believe for the best results guys use a 12au7 for the most transparent loop. The EL34L is basically the same as the GT EL34LS but the GT has larger heat wings. They are definitely a step up in the 3D feeling at higher volume and still have that huge low end. I would try to locate a quad of the older GTs as the newer batches don't have the old version's larger heat wings and don't sound as good. When I had the 50w MTL last year it came with the JJ EL34L and I bought a new pair of GT EL34LS and it was a definite improvement.


We talking the same tubes? The JJ in this Wizard are E34L. Not sure JJ make an EL34L?

AFAIK the JJ EL34L is the same as the Groove Tube EL34LS with the one difference being the heat wings are larger/taller is the GT version. But, the GT version now come with the same smaller wings as the JJ. Squarehead just mentioned that in a thread a couple weeks ago on RT. So the LS that guys talk about sounding so good in Wizards is now a discontinued tube unfortunately.
The 50w MTL I had came with the JJ EL34L. I picked up a duet of GT EL34LS and they were a definite improvement on an already great tone.

_________________
Many Toys in my Attic


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Tube talk....
PostPosted: Sat, Jun 23, 2018 10:37pm 
Offline
Rock God

Joined: Sun, Mar 25, 2012 6:51pm
Posts: 6680
Location: Wi
Are you human?: 951
ChurchHill wrote:
Racerxrated wrote:
[…] as long as the Wizard doesn't fry your power tubes due to the high plate voltage.

Thanks for posting this! I think it's always interesting to hear what tubes work in what amps. I've got a decent stash, too, and love to experiment.

Just curious, but how high is the plate voltage? I've got a couple of amps that are over 500v and I think it definitely contributes to fast attack and punch. Unfortunately, none are Wizards... yet... ;)

I haven't measured mine but I've read they are in the 480-500 range. Gotta be careful with power tubes that can handle the voltage. I have some vintage tubes that will handle it, but if I need to find new production I'll need to read up on which brands can handle the power.

_________________
Many Toys in my Attic


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Tube talk....
PostPosted: Sat, Jun 23, 2018 11:48pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Sep 10, 2017 1:50pm
Posts: 1091
Are you human?: 951
FWIW, I've got some Gold Lion KT77s in two amps whose plates are over 500v, one is 525vdc and the other, IIRC, is around 505v. I haven't had any problems, yet, but they've only been in a couple of months. Honestly, it's the screens I'm worried about, but that is a lot of plate voltage for modern production tubes.

_________________
:rock: :rock: :rock:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group - Terms of Use