Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Thu, Nov 15, 2018 2:04am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Desert Island Amp (Money's No Object)
Bogner Ecstasy 9%  9%  [ 10 ]
Diezel Herbert 8%  8%  [ 9 ]
ENGL Special Edition 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Friedman BE-100 13%  13%  [ 14 ]
Fryette/VHT Pittbull Ultra-Lead 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
Marshall JCM 800 Master Volume 2203 7%  7%  [ 7 ]
Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ DRG 12%  12%  [ 13 ]
Soldano SLO 13%  13%  [ 14 ]
Wizard Modern Classic II 9%  9%  [ 10 ]
Other (Please specify below) 22%  22%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 106
PostPosted: Mon, Jul 09, 2018 11:03am 
Rock God

Are you human?: 951
MetalHeadMike wrote:
mhenson42 wrote:
MetalHeadMike wrote:
Racerxrated wrote:
MetalHeadMike wrote:
mhenson42 wrote:
Racerxrated wrote:
MetalHeadMike wrote:
Racerxrated wrote:
The Wizard has 2 really nice spots below 1 on the MV that really make it sound like a pushed power section, never heard an amp react that way at such a low volume.

I have found the same on this one. Very satisfying girth & grind at 1 or so on the volume, but you can't help but nudge it up....up....up....and up :rock: I cracked the ceiling drywall in my kitchen the other day :aww: The vibration from the basement put a nice 4 ft long split right down the ceiling :no: Nuckinfuts the amount of balls they have :rock:

It's crazy. I've had 2 Mesa Mark Coliseums, a Triple Recto, some HUGE sounding JMP 1959s and a D120 and this MCI has more nuts than any of them. No way it's 100w...no way. The fact that it takes a boost so well seals the deal for me as the best amp I've ever owned, and has more clarity and thump by far. When Gary told me it makes any other amp seem small he wasn't lying.
A boost gives it just the right amount of compression where there wasn't any before lol....

I really like using my Suhr koko boost into the low input of the MTL. I’ll have to try the amp at one: I’m usually playing it at 4!

Volume @ 4 :shocked: :shocked: Is that with the loop send/return cranked?? I play with those knobs at around 1--->2 o' clock and master at 2/12----->3 and its devastatingly loud :rock:

:lol: :LOL: I'm with you Mike, no way can I go at 4 for more than a few riffs...2-3 is where it's at for me. Usually closer to 2. Lol.
I think I've had it to 4 once. That was enough. At least for my spare bedroom downstairs.

Yeah 2 is LOUD if the send/return knobs around back are full on. If I have both those knobs on back cranked full, 2 on the master (or just below 2 actually!!!) is my comfort level :rock: I guess I could handle 4 for more than a minute or two if I had a cable long enough to sit out in the yard with the amp in the basement :lol: :LOL:

I stand away from it and to the side so I'm not in the direct line of fire. :lol: :LOL: Usually I run the MTL/MCII at the same time or one or the other with the other cab used in a W/D set up. I have another Wizard/cab on the way soon so looking forward to all 3 at once :rock:

Yeah when I get it cooking I'm off to side as well. I love sitting right in front but I've lost enough hearing since acquiring this amp :aww: Both at once WOW! That's gotta be something :rock: :rock: I'd like to try the MCII mixed with Uber.

No loop on mine so 2 is 2.. :lol: :LOL:
But, I've been slaving it through an HH M900(install version of the V800, same circuit) and it's great. Picked up a 50$ Roland SDE 1000 and it's got this great warm color to the wet cabs. I stand to the side as well when I push the Wiz..

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 09, 2018 9:33pm 
Journeyman NOOB

I'm seriously confused by all the quotes going on here!

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 09, 2018 10:06pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

LOL! Yeah, me a bit, too... ;)

One thing I'm curious about... nobody's mentioned ENGL. I know there are people out there who swear by them, but here, so far.... <crickets>

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 09, 2018 10:14pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I like my Engls. I've owned the FB100, Savage 120, and Blackmore and played the Ironball and Artist Edition. Would like to play on an Invader 100 still.

The quotes are par for the course ;)

"Give me liberty, or give me Death" Patrick Henry

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 09, 2018 10:22pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

My son-in-law brings his FB100 over every once in awhile. It's a nice amp... (then I plug into the Herbert...) ;)

I know that's not exactly a fair comparison. I'd really like to try a Blackmore or and Artist Edition. Isn't the AE what Vivian Campbell is using with Last in Line? I've always heard good things about the Savage and the Invader, too. Just thought it was strange that nobody'd mentioned them in this thread, or even a single vote.

FWIW, I've really enjoyed the discussion so far. :)

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 09, 2018 10:23pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

ChurchHill wrote:
LOL! Yeah, me a bit, too... ;)

One thing I'm curious about... nobody's mentioned ENGL. I know there are people out there who swear by them, but here, so far.... <crickets>

I along with MetalMike ;) dig the Engls. Recently sold SE #3 for me. The SE EL34, Savage 120 are my favs of the line. Hoping to see more info/possible release date for the Savage 120 II Limited Edition... but nothing yet.
:( :aww:

... somewhat tonally similar with the CCV many rave about here. :yes:

Excellent transactions with: sjk (S: Soldano SLO 100), glip22 (S: Gibson Historic LP R7), MrPlexi (S: Suhr PT100), Metalhead (S: PRS SC-250 AP), killertone (S: Diezel Herbert), tlingen (S: Engl SE EL34), fuzzyguitars (S: PRS Tremonti Trem & Gibson Historic LP R8), xzyryabx (S: Engl Savage 120), Devilinside (S: Randall Satan), DarkCide: (S: ESP M-II), Mizati20 (S: PV 6505+), bartmcartman (S: Bogner XTC 101B), thaifoo (S: Engl Savage 120), lester (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12), adrenalinejunky (S: Fryette UltraLead), gbsmusic (S: Fender EVH Wolfgang), savant421 (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12 cab), ams2ek (S: Mills Acoustics 4X12 cab), blastcap (S: Gibson Explorer), braciola (S: PV EVH Wolfgang USA), splawner (S: Wampler Plextortion), mhenson42 (S: Celestion V30 speakers), Gsxrbusa (S: Jackson SL2H), El Mariachi (S: Suhr Koko Boost), braintheory (S: Engl SE EL34), ChurchHill (S: Gibson Historic Custom BBR7), RKnight (S: Mesa Mark IV), and many more.

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 09, 2018 10:28pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

The Savage 120 is the tightest amp I've ever owned or played. Only amp I've owned that I could plug straight in and get the level of tightness and attack that I like. The trade off though was that it felt very stiff most of the time and just was somewhat difficult to play if that makes sense. I wish I would have tried the Duncan Distortion while I still had that amp, might have been the ticket.

Sorry to have cluttered up your thread with all the side chatter :aww:

Last edited by MetalHeadMike on Tue, Jul 10, 2018 7:42am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 09, 2018 10:36pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

LOL! No... no way... this is EXACTLY the kind of side-chatter I wanted here. How does this compare to that, what makes this better, what makes this one not so good, what makes this one special. No right or wrong, just lots of information along the way. So, clutter and chatter away, my friends!! :rawk:

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 09, 2018 11:14pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

MetalHeadMike wrote:
The Savage 120 is the tightest amp I've ever owned or played. Only amp I've owned that I could plug straight in and get the level of tightness and attack that I like. The trade off thought was that it felt very stiff most of the time and just was somewhat difficult to play if that makes sense.

How does the "stiffness" of the Savage compare to your Wizard?

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 09, 2018 11:16pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Wizard of Ozz wrote:
... somewhat tonally similar with the CCV many rave about here. :yes:

Sounds intriguing... I haven't had the pleasure of playing a Cameron, so I'm not sure I'd know the difference, but if it's in the same ballpark...

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 09, 2018 11:20pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

sutepaj wrote:
A good sounding Bassman

I like it!! What year/model are you referring to?

I've got a late '64 6G6B Blonde Fender Bassman that just kills. I'd put it up against a 50w Plexi any day. Obviously, not quite the same upper-mids, but it can bark and howl and scream with the best of them.

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 09, 2018 11:31pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I find most of the Engl’s to sound too compressed and processed sounding, but a lot them still have a very complete and viscous growl and are tight, which I like.

I own an SE EL34 and it’s my favorite Engl. There’s something about the way it’s bottom end hits you that no other amp I’ve tried can match (nor any mentioned here so far). Obviously, other amps like the Herbert or iic+ (among others) can get massive bottom end, but there’s something different about the way the SE projects it that’s hard to explain. I couldn’t get any of my other 14 amps to match it. It also has a very complete growl on power chords, but still not to the level of my Cameron modded Marshall’s

I owned an Artust Edition and it was good and had terrific upper mid growl, but my Cameron Aldrich exceeded that and many other things about it, but a cool amp with an almost Marshally sound for Engl and a lot less compressed and artificial than their other models

The Marty Friedman model is probably my 2nd favorite Engl. Might be the most growly Engl (especially in the lower mids), but not as tight as other Engls. It was like a much better version imo of the FB100 and extreme aggression, but still too compressed and artificial for my taste and still not quite as growly as other amps I have

The Invader 150 I had was cool and one of the tightest sounding amps I’ve ever tried on the 3rd channel, but very smooth/lacking growl and polished sounding on that channel and I didn’t care as much for the other 3 channels

The savage I remember being tight and good upper mid growl, but again too compressed and artificial when compared to other amps

I don’t like the Retro, Powerball or Invader II

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 09, 2018 11:39pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I'll admit, I've only played a FB100. Now, I want to go find an SE to try out. Great description, there!! Thanks for posting that!!

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 10, 2018 6:51am 
Journeyman NOOB

I recall a decade or so back when ENGL's were all the rage on HC (before that place imploded). I've never been in a place to try one. I do love how Blackmore manages to still have a signature amp with them, despite playing only acoustic for the last two decades!

Yes, I do know he did some Rainbow stuff in the last year, but still....

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 10, 2018 7:27am 
Rock God

braintheory wrote:
I find most of the Engl’s to sound too compressed and processed sounding, but a lot them still have a very complete and viscous growl and are tight, which I like.

I own an SE EL34 and it’s my favorite Engl. There’s something about the way it’s bottom end hits you that no other amp I’ve tried can match (nor any mentioned here so far). Obviously, other amps like the Herbert or iic+ (among others) can get massive bottom end, but there’s something different about the way the SE projects it that’s hard to explain. I couldn’t get any of my other 14 amps to match it. It also has a very complete growl on power chords, but still not to the level of my Cameron modded Marshall’s

I owned an Artust Edition and it was good and had terrific upper mid growl, but my Cameron Aldrich exceeded that and many other things about it, but a cool amp with an almost Marshally sound for Engl and a lot less compressed and artificial than their other models

The Marty Friedman model is probably my 2nd favorite Engl. Might be the most growly Engl (especially in the lower mids), but not as tight as other Engls. It was like a much better version imo of the FB100 and extreme aggression, but still too compressed and artificial for my taste and still not quite as growly as other amps I have

The Invader 150 I had was cool and one of the tightest sounding amps I’ve ever tried on the 3rd channel, but very smooth/lacking growl and polished sounding on that channel and I didn’t care as much for the other 3 channels

The savage I remember being tight and good upper mid growl, but again too compressed and artificial when compared to other amps

I don’t like the Retro, Powerball or Invader II

No surprise that the Artist resembles your Aldrich. From what I've read, Engl developed the Artist for Doug, and until he bailed on it the amp was to be his signature amp. I wonder if Engl had one of his modded Marshalls to study the circuit? I've been told the Artist/Blackmore are the 2 to try if you like Marshall.

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 10, 2018 7:44am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

ChurchHill wrote:
MetalHeadMike wrote:
The Savage 120 is the tightest amp I've ever owned or played. Only amp I've owned that I could plug straight in and get the level of tightness and attack that I like. The trade off thought was that it felt very stiff most of the time and just was somewhat difficult to play if that makes sense.

How does the "stiffness" of the Savage compare to your Wizard?

The Wizard isn't nearly as tight and does not come across too stiff to play on. More forgiving than the Savage.

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 10, 2018 7:53am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

braintheory wrote:

I've heard so many recordings of the Savage and they all had that "processed/artificial" quality to them. Maybe they were boosted on top of the already compressed nature of that amp. The one I had sounded no where near as processed/artificial sounding :dunno: It did lack that midrange growl that I like though. Was kind of flat sounding in that respect.

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 10, 2018 9:45am 
Hack

Tony Bruno 90watt Cowtipper

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 10, 2018 9:32pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

rstites wrote:
I recall a decade or so back when ENGL's were all the rage on HC (before that place imploded). I've never been in a place to try one. I do love how Blackmore manages to still have a signature amp with them, despite playing only acoustic for the last two decades!

Yes, I do know he did some Rainbow stuff in the last year, but still....

LOL! Yeah, that's pretty slick how Blackmore pulls that off. ;)

I, too, used to hear a lot about ENGLs, but that seems to have quieted down a lot. My son-in-law has the only ENGL I've ever played through. He's into European Power Metal and seems that a lot of his favorite bands play them. He's been really happy with his amp, but to be honest, it's not really my thing. I can see where the "over-processed" comments come from. He struggles sometimes with either too much treble or not enough, but that can probably be addressed with different speakers, pickups, etc. Anyway...

For the topic at hand, I definitely think the SE deserves to at least be in this list. I'd love to give one a day in court at some point. I think the Artist Edition sounds interesting, too, given its roots as Racerxrated pointed out and is what I'd heard as well.

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 10, 2018 9:35pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

MetalHeadMike wrote:
The Wizard isn't nearly as tight and does not come across too stiff to play on. More forgiving than the Savage.

Cool! That's what I was hoping to hear. :) I can do tight already... for an amp I don't own, I'm already having quite the affection for the Wizard. :)

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 10, 2018 9:36pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

73171 wrote:
Tony Bruno 90watt Cowtipper

I've heard great things about Tony Bruno's amps, but haven't had the pleasure of playing one. What is it about the Cowtipper that you like so much?

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 11, 2018 12:57am 
Apprentice NOOB

Here is what I currently have, and there's no way I can choose only one

Bogner XTC 101B
Budda Twinmaster
Fender Bassman
Friedman Dirty Shirley
Hiwatt DR103
Komet Constellation
Marshall JCM800 2203x
Marshall JMP50
Marshall Major
Marshall Super Tremolo
Mesa Mark III Coliseum
Mesa Tremoverb
Morris Perplex’d
VHT Deliverance 60

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 11, 2018 1:45am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Nice collection!! I know what you mean about not being able to pick just one... my favorite is usually the one I'm currently plugged into. ;)

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 11, 2018 3:35am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

BlackRose wrote:
Here is what I currently have, and there's no way I can choose only one

Bogner XTC 101B
Budda Twinmaster
Fender Bassman
Friedman Dirty Shirley
Hiwatt DR103
Komet Constellation
Marshall JCM800 2203x
Marshall JMP50
Marshall Major
Marshall Super Tremolo
Mesa Mark III Coliseum
Mesa Tremoverb
Morris Perplex’d
VHT Deliverance 60

Care to provide some Intel on the Perplex'd??

EVH 5150III 100watt
Friedman BE100
Marshall 1987xl (with V2a 80's mod board)
Peavey 5150 block letter
Peters Vega-FSM
Soldano SLO 100
Vox AC30HW
Wizard MCII

A couple Les Pauls, an SG etc...

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 12, 2018 3:38am 
Journeyman NOOB

I've been on a desert island (gear wise) with my mark IVa for quite some time now :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 12, 2018 9:54am 

On the ENGL train...
I have had several models.
Savage. Invader 150 fireball both versions.
I now own the original Powerball.
And the crunch channel just kills! The lead channel just gets too saturated.
But I dig it. :rock:

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 12, 2018 12:27pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I'd love to try another one, just aren't that many around.

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 12, 2018 1:19pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Mailman1971 wrote:
On the ENGL train...
I have had several models.
Savage. Invader 150 fireball both versions.
I now own the original Powerball.
And the crunch channel just kills! The lead channel just gets too saturated.
But I dig it. :rock:

Iv'e always wanted to try an original Powerball Dan :rock:, but all the ones I see on Reverb people are asking WAYYYYYYY too much :loco:

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 12, 2018 1:48pm 

Got mine in a local trade with a buddy of mine.
Not impressed with the lead channel. But that crunch channel fucking rocks!!
:yes:

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 12, 2018 2:02pm 
Hack

I'm not much of a high gain guy (though it is fun from time to time) so I'm gonna stick with my Quinn SDO, my Train wreck, and my Fumble.

Additionally, my desert island pedal of choice would be my Ethos Overdrive

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 12, 2018 2:25pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I’d like to give the PB2 another run thru.

Excellent transactions with: sjk (S: Soldano SLO 100), glip22 (S: Gibson Historic LP R7), MrPlexi (S: Suhr PT100), Metalhead (S: PRS SC-250 AP), killertone (S: Diezel Herbert), tlingen (S: Engl SE EL34), fuzzyguitars (S: PRS Tremonti Trem & Gibson Historic LP R8), xzyryabx (S: Engl Savage 120), Devilinside (S: Randall Satan), DarkCide: (S: ESP M-II), Mizati20 (S: PV 6505+), bartmcartman (S: Bogner XTC 101B), thaifoo (S: Engl Savage 120), lester (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12), adrenalinejunky (S: Fryette UltraLead), gbsmusic (S: Fender EVH Wolfgang), savant421 (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12 cab), ams2ek (S: Mills Acoustics 4X12 cab), blastcap (S: Gibson Explorer), braciola (S: PV EVH Wolfgang USA), splawner (S: Wampler Plextortion), mhenson42 (S: Celestion V30 speakers), Gsxrbusa (S: Jackson SL2H), El Mariachi (S: Suhr Koko Boost), braintheory (S: Engl SE EL34), ChurchHill (S: Gibson Historic Custom BBR7), RKnight (S: Mesa Mark IV), and many more.

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 12, 2018 3:47pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Wizard of Ozz wrote:
I’d like to give the PB2 another run thru.

That's another one I'd like to fiddle with. Almost bought that over the FB100 when I brought that one home. Guy at the store asked asked if I wanted him to bring out the PBII, but I told him not to bother after 5 minutes with the FB100.

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 13, 2018 1:57am 
Immortal Rock God

THD Flexi

The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 13, 2018 5:14am 
Hack

Last edited by Christos rock on Fri, Jul 13, 2018 5:24am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 13, 2018 5:23am 
Hack

I have a dream :) My dream is Fender clean, Marshall crunch, Mesa distortion with different flavors.
Maybe a new Triaxis with a new power amp.
Maybe a Mesa Mark V but without the disgusting stiffness that comes with it.
If Mesa could go ahead and stop cutting corners so we could have again the nice liquid, open sounding and "true" feeling amps, last ones being the Recto rev F and Mark IV, that would be great.

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 13, 2018 11:15pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Christos rock wrote:
I have a dream :) My dream is Fender clean, Marshall crunch, Mesa distortion with different flavors.
Maybe a new Triaxis with a new power amp.
Maybe a Mesa Mark V but without the disgusting stiffness that comes with it.

If Mesa could go ahead and stop cutting corners so we could have again the nice liquid, open sounding and "true" feeling amps, last ones being the Recto rev F and Mark IV, that would be great.

I'm gonna have to agree with this... The Mark Series was almost there, great cleans, great heavies, crunch could've used some help, but I've dialed mine in so close to so many modified Marshalls over the years with just channel 3 and the guitar's volume knob...

The Mark Series might not necessarily be my pick in this poll, but it's undeniably the one that I couldn't live without. The first amps I was ever happy with and the only amps that have been in my collection for 25 years.

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 14, 2018 12:40am 
Supah Stah

FBM.

Proud to be a Texan. Even more proud to be American.

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 14, 2018 1:37am 
Apprentice NOOB

If i go to the island with only one amp, i'd like to pick axe fx iii.

But in terms of the high gain amp, i'd pick Dan Gower's KK+ with the clean channel and the violence knob.

In terms of clean amp, SSS #002 or #005 type amp.

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 14, 2018 6:21am 

rottingcorpse wrote:
FBM.

Full Bowel Movement
Gotcha. I would like that as well on a island.

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 14, 2018 6:36am 
Rock God

Mailman1971 wrote:
rottingcorpse wrote:
FBM.

Full Bowel Movement
Gotcha. I would like that as well on a island.

Don’t forget the TP

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 14, 2018 10:07pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 15, 2018 10:41am 
Rock God

Probably my Cornford MK50h, it’s the one I”d miss most.

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 15, 2018 11:05am 
Immortal Rock God

Of those listed, the XTC hands down....

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 15, 2018 12:37pm 
Immortal Rock God

I just noticed this is primarily a top end/boutique high gain forum and not a single person selected the Engl SE. Aren't they the 5150 of Europe overseas?

Guitars:
2012 Fender Select
1988 Charvel 475XL Special
2018 Gibson Les Paul Traditional
1999 Wolfgang Standard (Emerald Green)

Effects:
ADA 2FX
Lexicon PCM 81
TC Electronic 2240
Damage Control Timeline
Dunlop 535Q

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 15, 2018 1:19pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

ChurchHill wrote:

:yes: :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 15, 2018 2:08pm 
Immortal Rock God

glpg80 wrote:
I just noticed this is primarily a top end/boutique high gain forum and not a single person selected the Engl SE. Aren't they the 5150 of Europe overseas?

I noticed the same thing. I don't know anyone that uses them.

I also find it interesting how spread out everyone's taste is. No single amp is way ahead of everything else. Kind of interesting.

For highgain stuff I like Fryette and Mesa.

The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 15, 2018 5:20pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

stephen sawall wrote:
THD Flexi

This is an amp that I always was so interested in trying, and never got a chance. I see they are going used for around $1100 now...really seems like an awesome deal.

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 15, 2018 10:35pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

stephen sawall wrote:
glpg80 wrote:

I noticed the same thing. I don't know anyone that uses them.

I also find it interesting how spread out everyone's taste is. No single amp is way ahead of everything else. Kind of interesting.

Yeah, I've thought that's been one of the most interesting things in this thread. I've heard so many good things about ENGL over the years, but there doesn't seem to be much here. Some have mentioned the Savage and the Invader, but I would've thought that there would be more love for ENGL.

And yeah, there isn't really a clear winner here. There have been so many great amps mentioned, but none are really standing out as miles ahead of anything else. To me, that's really cool!

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 16, 2018 9:57pm 
Supah Stah

Larry Dino :thumbsup:

Last edited by SQUAREHEAD on Tue, Jul 17, 2018 8:02am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 16, 2018 11:19pm 
Immortal Rock God

sutepaj wrote:
stephen sawall wrote:
THD Flexi

This is an amp that I always was so interested in trying, and never got a chance. I see they are going used for around $1100 now...really seems like an awesome deal.

I've seen a few go for around $800 in the last five years.

This amp is really about poweramp overdrive. So you need a attenuator or like it crazy loud. Personally I usually use KT66 and hot preamp tubes.

It has more gain than a JCM800. But nothing highgain by today's standards.

Back when I was doing gigs all the time this amp with a band just fit me in a way no other amp can. It still blows me away everytime.
.... It's about harmonics. Never have I seen a amp that can create this amount of harmonics in phase.

I certainly don't think this amp is for everyone. But if you have a taste for NMV amps you might like it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next