Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Wed, Nov 21, 2018 9:50am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon, Aug 06, 2018 8:18pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Are you human?: 951
So I never cared for Mercury Magnetic Transformers in the past as they always seemed to make the Marshalls take on a Randall Smith (Mesa Boogie) tone and feel but this PT with Sylvania USA 6550 Power Tubes, Mustard and Sprague caps floats my boat. I have to keep this build.

Thoughts?

David...♫

Hopkins Mods

https://youtu.be/tqjQE6lRk9A

Hopkins Mods

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 07, 2018 3:28pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Cool, great feedback. Well I know I talked with my friend Mark Cameron and he seems to think MM are quite special and suggested I try a OT. The last 3 that came through my shop I did not care for but I may give it a shot under my hand (ear).

David...♫

Hopkins Mods

Hopkins Mods

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 16, 2018 8:18am 
Rock God

Overpriced but I used one to swap out a budget transformer and it was awesome.

Great transactions with: Dexter Jackson, Pfapin05, Donbarzini, Ratter, Guitarslinger, Sixstring, Empire Prod, Motorpud, Iamthejoker,9841507,Ultron, Diagrammatiks, Juggernaut, studio289, Steve K., Dmtnt, Rhequiem, Craftm1, Red Witch, Reilly, Bucksears, ajr2454, Glip22, jabberwocker!, glassjaw7, Khoi, mizati20, ibanez4life SZ, Glide-on, Prime rib, Droptrd, Bwgintegra,Bognerluv,ben hur,TjSlice, Flizzo,Bronco, leib10, Vchizzle, Captain Stinko, Warhead78 plus like 150 more peeps...

Here long before it sucked.

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 31, 2018 1:49am 
Apprentice NOOB

I only have my Soldano Avenger to go by, but it sounds really good with the stock Mercury transformer.

ESP Horizon II Custom Shop 5 String Bass Darkglass Microtubes 900 Hesu Wizard 1x12

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 11, 2018 7:47pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

My favorite is the metro c1998 dagnall clone

Mojo 4x12 w/G12H-30s & V30s
Charvel Pro Mod Neon Pink
Charvel Pro Mod Rocket Red
USACG Superstrat - Roasted Maple Neck/Roasted Alder/1984 Original Floyd Rose

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 12, 2018 3:51am 
Hack

Sounds awesome. Nice power tubes. I believe Classictone Iron to be just as good as MM for a lot cheaper. The veteran amp builders whose opinion I value most say the yellow Mallory 150 series caps are more linear than Sprague OD or TAD Mustard, producing a thicker sound in coupling and HPF applications, and again for less money. Video comparisons verify it. Lotta hype in electric guitar land. If you do decide to change to Mallory 150 caps, the amp may sound a bit warmer, and smoother if used in BPF or LPF places. It's a judgment call.

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 16, 2018 1:44pm 
Supah Stah

I've never been able to A/B a MM OT with any other, but every amp that I've tried with MM transformers sounds very modern with a lot of low mid emphasis and high headroom. Also very bold, tight and punchy but perhaps not as touch sensitive or detailed as others built with more vintage inspired transformer designs. I've always wondered if this is a trademark of the MM or the amps themselves that had MM installed. Any thoughts ?

Larry amplification
Bogner cabinets w/Celestion Marshall Vintage speakers
BRJ Vixen, Gibson Les Paul Standard, Wagner pickups
RJM, Diamond, Origin, FoxRox, Dunlop, H.B.E. effects

Good deals with : locoed, Racerxrated, GreazyGeo, Nondeplume, chocolatefish, Beyond Black, lespaul6, kickaxeguitars, psychodave, Tonelover, exo-metal

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 16, 2018 1:52pm 
Journeyman NOOB

thegame wrote:
I've never been able to A/B a MM OT with any other, but every amp that I've tried with MM transformers sounds very modern with a lot of low mid emphasis and high headroom. Also very bold, tight and punchy but perhaps not as touch sensitive or detailed as others built with more vintage inspired transformer designs. I've always wondered if this is a trademark of the MM or the amps themselves that had MM installed. Any thoughts ?

As the OP I agree with this 100%. It is what I was thinking. I do not care for the OT. PT is not a bid deal as long as the voltage is there IMO.

Hopkins Mods

Hopkins Mods

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 16, 2018 2:46pm 
Supah Stah

NewReligion wrote:
thegame wrote:

As the OP I agree with this 100%. It is what I was thinking. I do not care for the OT. PT is not a bid deal as long as the voltage is there IMO.

To tie in with that, the OT is more responsible for the tone than the PT, correct ? Does the PT have more influence on the feel?

Larry amplification
Bogner cabinets w/Celestion Marshall Vintage speakers
BRJ Vixen, Gibson Les Paul Standard, Wagner pickups
RJM, Diamond, Origin, FoxRox, Dunlop, H.B.E. effects

Good deals with : locoed, Racerxrated, GreazyGeo, Nondeplume, chocolatefish, Beyond Black, lespaul6, kickaxeguitars, psychodave, Tonelover, exo-metal

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 16, 2018 4:18pm 
Hack

thegame wrote:
NewReligion wrote:
thegame wrote:

To tie in with that, the OT is more responsible for the tone than the PT, correct ? Does the PT have more influence on the feel?

AFAIK, the PT can affect the "Sag" if it's underpowered. It can also be more or less noisy, and the different supplies can possible interfere with each other depending on the design, which may create some phase cancellations. The OT also has a big affect on feel. The quality of the Steel affects how it compresses and how much low level distortion "fizz" there is. A lower quality OT can be preferable if you like the feel and sound.

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 16, 2018 4:39pm 
Journeyman NOOB

thegame wrote:
NewReligion wrote:
thegame wrote:

Correct IMO. For Marshall replacements are use classic tone as they kick ass.

This is my personal amp not for reoroduction. It is based on a Cameron Cantrell/Modern Mod. Classic Tone Iron.

Hopkins Mods

Hopkins Mods

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 16, 2018 11:56pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I like how the MM’s stay together at crazy high volumes. I rarely play super loud though.

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 17, 2018 12:18pm 
Hack

psychodave wrote:
I like how the MM’s stay together at crazy high volumes. I rarely play super loud though.

Classictone makes two JMP/JCM800 OT types. The thicker 2.2k Ohm upgrade "project" version might be more like the MM you speak of for a lot less money. More Iron = less compression.