Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Wed, Nov 14, 2018 2:40am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 10, 2018 1:42am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Are you human?: 951
ok, so on my Charvl Satchel Sig I have been contemplating routing the neck pocket to be able to lower the neck. the Floyd sits high enough that it could stand to come down, and the gap under the fingerboard is annoying as hell. has anyone done such a thing on their own guitars or do y'all send it out to a luthier for the work ? the gap with the neck is very similar to the old American made run of charvel san dimas guitars. I was looking at warmoth and saw they offer a "720" mod which deepens the pocket, but wasn't sure if anyone here has tried it on their own. I bought this guitar for novelty, but it plays so damn good, and the neck feels amazing, which means that I am going to be throwing it into gig rotation soon. I have an EMG 81/60 coming to replace the pickups in it, and will be adding some stainless and brass accessories to the bridge as per my usual tweaks :thumbsup: :rock:

anyways back on subject .... the neck pocket deepening ?? anyone who has done it or who has experience with the work ? any side effects. the total extra added depth looks to be around 1/8"-3/16" which isn't really much. basically just enough to get the fretboard sitting almost on the body

KIESEL Guitars and EVH Amps

GOOD DEALS: bionicmark, diezelduder, mraajr, tehuk, ldm(laura), stratotone, mortega76, sandman, moshaholic, nothingeined, Dimebag11, goldwing68nv, Juggernaut, briango2000, srommes, MetalHead, xkalibur38, sjk, charvelstrat81, gsxrbusa, mudfo0t, Ams2ek, The Traveller, XSSIVE, holy-diver, sevenstringer, guitarnate2000

Last edited by MYLILSS on Sat, Nov 10, 2018 3:38pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 10, 2018 2:40am 
Hack

Technically it will increase the damping factor. I doubt it will be noticeable, but it could be. Consider that a slightly thicker neck can affect the sound. I have experienced that. The main thing is to make sure the screws aren't too long. If it does affect the sound in a way you don't like (depends on the body density & rigidity), you can add a ~1mm hard plastic plate to get sustain back -- probably more than you lost. I've done that on a few guitars, even cutting out the plastic inside the screws to increase coupling force and reduce body damping. The plate material matters. I've tried Stainless metal washers reduce high end damping, so it may sound more metallic than that guitar is designed to sound. I find Lexan or Acetal to be pretty "neutral' slightly increasing bass and high end extension without altering character. Seems crazy, but I made b4 and after recordings that show a consistent change across all pickups positions. I made a video showing what I did:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Both guitars I did it too have great sustain and a fuller sound with no joint slippage after several years.

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 10, 2018 10:29am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I believe GMW can do this...but I would send him the entire guitar. I would have to guess it would cost at least $200 to do the work.

That said, I’ve noticed most of the new Charvels have crazy high Floyd’s. I can’t stand that.

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 10, 2018 11:31am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

psychodave wrote:
I believe GMW can do this...but I would send him the entire guitar. I would have to guess it would cost at least $200 to do the work.

That said, I’ve noticed most of the new Charvels have crazy high Floyd’s. I can’t stand that.

Yeah, GMW does solid work. I’ve had him do tons of work for me on other guitars. The crazy high Floyd is what bugs me the most lol.

GOOD DEALS: bionicmark, diezelduder, mraajr, tehuk, ldm(laura), stratotone, mortega76, sandman, moshaholic, nothingeined, Dimebag11, goldwing68nv, Juggernaut, briango2000, srommes, MetalHead, xkalibur38, sjk, charvelstrat81, gsxrbusa, mudfo0t, Ams2ek, The Traveller, XSSIVE, holy-diver, sevenstringer, guitarnate2000

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 10, 2018 1:32pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I usually just put a reverse shim in the neck pocket, worked perfectly on my Charvel and EVH guitars, it brings the floyd flush to the body, no routing necessary

http://www.AlEstrada.com

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 10, 2018 3:57pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Any reason other than the gap of the fingerboard shelf? You mentioned that the bridge can go down so you're no doing it for functionality.

Mojo 4x12 w/G12H-30s & V30s
Charvel Pro Mod Neon Pink
Charvel Pro Mod Rocket Red
USACG Superstrat - Roasted Maple Neck/Roasted Alder/1984 Original Floyd Rose

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 10, 2018 4:23pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

scottosan wrote:
Any reason other than the gap of the fingerboard shelf? You mentioned that the bridge can go down so you're no doing it for functionality.

The main reason is aesthetics. The bridge is supposed to be dive only, but with the height it is at, it actually floats, which I don’t like. A trem stop has fixed the floating aspect but it still looks goofy as hell with the bridge sitting so high, so I want to fix that

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 10, 2018 7:32pm 
Supah Stah

I’ve also just shimmed the neck on my Charvel for this. Just shim the far end of the neck pocket (away from the bridge). That will let you drop the bridge.