Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Wed, Nov 14, 2018 2:43am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 10, 2018 10:01pm 
Rock God

been digging Powerwolf and i read the guy uses a Fireball. checked some vids and kind of digging them. anyone have experience with these?

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 10, 2018 10:30pm 
Rock God

Are you human?: 951
Paging Metalhead Mike..........He's had every Engl amp methinks. I've almost bought one a few times, but they seem geared for the Darker Metal tone crowd. Heavy amps for sure.

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 10, 2018 10:31pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Owned the FB100 for a year or so; it's a BADASS AMP :rock: It will melt fucking faces :rawk: I miss it sometimes.

"Give me liberty, or give me Death" Patrick Henry

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 10, 2018 11:44pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I had a 60w fireball years ago (05-09) that I loved. Kicked myself for years after selling it. Bought a FB100 after really getting back into playing a couple years ago and I am very glad I did. Killer amp for the heavy stuff, I intend on holding onto this one as long as I'm able to play.

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 11, 2018 12:29am 
Supah Stah

Definitely a badass amp. On the dry and tight side, with a ton of low end and usable gain. Brutal amp with killer low mid grunt. NIce clean channel, great effects loop and built in noise gate. The mid boost is also very cool. Gives it a nice midrange bump, while making it much more juicy sounding and less dry. Definitely adds to it's versatility. Also loves to be clean boosted. I would love to hear one with EL-34's. I'd highly recommend the FB 100. :thumbsup:
Here's a pretty accurate representation of it....https://youtu.be/o6V2ochak1U

Last edited by Beyond Black on Sun, Nov 11, 2018 12:54am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 11, 2018 12:54am 

I’ve owned both the original Fireball (stay away) and the Fireball 100.
The FB100 kicks ass!! :rock:
I really liked that amp. Actually owned it twice.
More versatile then you think. Gets super heavy but cleans up nice.
Has the mid boost switch to me? Should be on all the time.
Only reason I sold my second one off was I have a Engl Powerball still and few others
That get me in high gain territory. :yes:
Watching your clips I really think you would dig it bro. :rock:

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 11, 2018 2:00am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

If you’re looking at the Fireball, I’d recommend the Marty Friedman Inferno model or Extreme Aggression one. They’re both like better versions of the Fireball IMO. The inferno might be my 2nd favorite Engl behind the SE EL34

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 11, 2018 9:52am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Almost bought an Extreme Aggression when they came out; wish I had.

The Savage 120 is probably my favorite Engl. Of all the high gainers I've owned, the Savage is THE ONLY amp I get the level of tightness and attack I desire plugged straight in to the front. With the FB100, I still liked to clean boost to clip the lows a bit and further tighten. Once you got the FB power section cooking, like hearing damage levels, it tightens up significantly, and then I could enjoy plugging straight in to get what I wanted.

In the end I just grew tired of the ultra precision of the attack with the Engl amps. My chops need a bit more give from the amp, and the Engls I've owned just track so damn fast that I felt like most days I was fighting the amp. Even though they have a shit ton of gain and compression, they're still very dry and unforgiving, at least for me.

Despite the former, I could see owning another Engl someday.

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 11, 2018 12:00pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I had the 60w version years ago, good amp, but had a high sizzle to the distortion that I didn’t like. But to be fair, I probably didn’t know how to dial things in as much back then.

gtkdev on TGP​

Good deals with Green Pro Am, Holy-Diver, Blessedadversary777, Adam of Angels, Base341, bwgintegra ...

http://ashenreign.com

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 11, 2018 12:33pm 
Supah Stah

I had a Fireball 100 as well. It was a monster of an amp. Only reason I returned it was because Axe Palace fucked me on the price, (sold me a used one as brand new, and refused to take ownership of it and refund accordingly). That dickhead of an owner pissed me off with his multiple lies so bad I just returned it and told him to shove up his dishonest ass.

I actually loved it, loved it, loved it. But, while I obviously was not happy about the deal, it was also a bit too loud for my situation at the time. VERY loud. It doesn't do low volume real well, but a couple notches in, it opens up nicely, (though my neighbors weren't as impressed). If you want an aggressive, pissed off tone - this is your amp.

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 11, 2018 6:20pm 
Plank Cranker

Ritchie faulkner plays them and swears by them.
His tone is amazing along with his chops.
I'd love to play one myself.

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 11, 2018 7:45pm 
Supah Stah

ElectricVoodoo wrote:
Ritchie faulkner plays them and swears by them.
His tone is amazing along with his chops.
I'd love to play one myself.

I believe he uses Powerball II's.

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 11, 2018 7:47pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

napalmdeath wrote:
I had a Fireball 100 as well. It was a monster of an amp. Only reason I returned it was because Axe Palace fucked me on the price, (sold me a used one as brand new, and refused to take ownership of it and refund accordingly). That dickhead of an owner pissed me off with his multiple lies so bad I just returned it and told him to shove up his dishonest ass.

I actually loved it, loved it, loved it. But, while I obviously was not happy about the deal, it was also a bit too loud for my situation at the time. VERY loud. It doesn't do low volume real well, but a couple notches in, it opens up nicely, (though my neighbors weren't as impressed). If you want an aggressive, pissed off tone - this is your amp.

I had a similar experience with that guy at Axe Palace. Would never do business there again.

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 11, 2018 8:29pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I also had a similar experience with The Axe Palace

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 11, 2018 11:58pm 
Apprentice NOOB

IMO the Fireball is Engl's best behind only the Savage and maaaybe the Straight. A wonderful, tight, aggressive amp.

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 12, 2018 12:26pm 
Supah Stah

the4thlast1 wrote:
I also had a similar experience with The Axe Palace

Yes. That owner is so crooked, he has to screw his pants on. Lying piece of shit, is what he is.

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 12, 2018 12:40pm 
Supah Stah

thrashinbatman wrote:
IMO the Fireball is Engl's best behind only the Savage and maaaybe the Straight. A wonderful, tight, aggressive amp.

I love the Fireball, but I actually preferred my Retro Tube 100 to it. It wasn't as surgically tight. It's a fatter, juicier sounding amp with just a little sag, but not too much. And I really dig Engl tone with EL-34's.

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 12, 2018 12:55pm 
Supah Stah

Beyond Black wrote:
thrashinbatman wrote:

I love the Fireball, but I actually preferred my Retro Tube 100 to it. It wasn't as surgically tight. It's a fatter, juicier sounding amp with just a little sag, but not too much. And I really dig Engl tone with EL-34's.

Me too, had the 50 - one of my top 5 favorite amps I ever owned.

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 13, 2018 9:53am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I have owned 2 FB 60's and 1 Fireball 100. I am an ENGL fan but for whatever reason I really struggled with the Fireball in a band environment. Really spikey and harsh live and you really have to crank the mids to not get lost in the mix. Other amps did much better. It's an awesome home jammer/recorder though. Whatever you do if you get one consider the presence knob as the dominant treble control if you really want to be heard. I would love to try a Retro and to me I enjoyed the Powerball channel 3 if I needed that sound for whatever application. My Ironball is no slouch tho..

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 13, 2018 5:21pm 
Rock God

Fireball 60 should be considered a hard pass. Gets buried with a band. For recording it might be ok though. The 100 is killer. As is the Blackmore... both can be had for pretty solid prices used.

Gear Demos from a Guy Who Loves Gear!!!

Check out "Dunky's N' Demos at:

https://www.facebook.com/dunkysndemos
https://www.youtube.com/c/JeremyVarao

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 13, 2018 6:07pm 
Supah Stah

shred-o-holic wrote:
I have owned 2 FB 60's and 1 Fireball 100. I am an ENGL fan but for whatever reason I really struggled with the Fireball in a band environment. Really spikey and harsh live and you really have to crank the mids to not get lost in the mix. Other amps did much better. It's an awesome home jammer/recorder though. Whatever you do if you get one consider the presence knob as the dominant treble control if you really want to be heard. I would love to try a Retro and to me I enjoyed the Powerball channel 3 if I needed that sound for whatever application. My Ironball is no slouch tho..

In a band mix I'd have my mids around 12-1 o'clock. Cool thing is, the FB remains very heavy with the mids elevated. I agree about the presence. Definitely set it on the high side to cut through. The FB is definitely an amp that you set much differently for home to live applications. I actually much preferred the Retro Tube in a band setting. It cut through better and sounds fatter. Both killer amps though.

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 13, 2018 6:24pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I just cranked the mids on my old FB60, didn't have any problems being heard through a Mesa 4x12 in a band mix. Usually got complemented on the tone as well. That said, I do feel I'd have a hard time going back to it after getting used to the FB100's mid boost. I leave that on, and generally have my mids maxed or damn close to maxed. There's another local metal band where someone uses one- the guy plays with the mid boost off and has the dial set around noon- I don't have any problems hearing him versus the other guitarist's dual recto. I've often wondered how many people who got buried with the 60 (or the 100, which I have a very hard time imagining with the mid boost and sheer volume it pushes) have been up against 5150/6505's with the mids dimed, which sounds ultra honky to my ears (and I own a 6505, for the record).

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 13, 2018 10:03pm 
Rock God Trainee

I owned a FB100 and didn't really like it. 2-dimensional and synthetic sounding IMO.

Sure, gobs of gain, tons of lowend and a mid boost...but those were just misdirection away from the fact that amps core tone was lacking.

Sold it to some pimply, wide eyed kid for a mint.

• Marshall JVM 210H
• EVH 5150 III 50w
• MESA Trad. 412
• Schecter, LTD & Fender
• EMG 81/85 & 57/66
• SD Black Winter
• Dimarzio Air Zone
• Celestion Vintage 30s