Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Sat, Dec 15, 2018 7:49am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 08, 2018 2:49pm 
Plank Cranker

I like to record vids of myself and also our band to tutorial purposes, like what to improve on and shit like that.

Are the Zooms still the best, easiest within a modest budget, like the Q4 and Q8?

I'm not into mixing and editing much, just record, jam, stop, review and upload.

What say you guys?

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 08, 2018 3:36pm 
Wannabe a Supah Stah

I have been checking out the Q2N They just released a new one that records in 4k.

https://zoom.co.jp/products/field-video ... o-recorder

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 08, 2018 5:00pm 
Plank Cranker

romanianreaper wrote:
I have been checking out the Q2N They just released a new one that records in 4k.

What is 4k? I'm dumb...

And it costs less than the Q4 and Q8!

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 08, 2018 7:33pm 
Wannabe a Supah Stah

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
romanianreaper wrote:

What is 4k? I'm dumb...

And it costs less than the Q4 and Q8!

LOL, trust me I'm normally the same way. It just means you can record in High Definition.

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 09, 2018 5:10pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Are you human?: 951
Q2N. I've got it, love it. ONLY gripe is batter life. I fixed it by buying a cell phone power pack and using it as a batter. Can record an entire gig in HD. Handles high volumes well.

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 09, 2018 6:23pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Dont let the 4k fool you. That's just resolution with best lighting conditions possible. Once your light drops it gets real real distorted and the picture is sub par. So you can record a gig in ultra HD only to find out its full of 'noise'. That's coming from a guy who owns a Q3HD and a Q4. You won't ever need 4k to capture vid/sounds in your rehearsal room, The file size will be enormous and you'll hang yourself trying to get your PC work with it. Good luck cutting, editing and rendering such videos on an average machine. A cheaper Q3 HD will do the trick, it's one of my main go to systems to quickly record in room sounds and snippets of new songs. works like a charm just for the pure audio quality. :rock: :rock:

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 09, 2018 10:44pm 
Supah Stah

Not sure if you have an IPhone, but I love this!!
Capture video with phone and mic is small and convenient and sounds incredible.

https://www.shure.com/americas/products ... microphone

Gibson guitars

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 10, 2018 1:40pm 
Supah Stah

I have a Q2N and it is fabulous for recording gigs! I use a power adapter with it that I bought to avoid any battery issues.

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 10, 2018 5:32pm 
Hack

K-Roll wrote:
Dont let the 4k fool you. That's just resolution with best lighting conditions possible. Once your light drops it gets real real distorted and the picture is sub par. So you can record a gig in ultra HD only to find out its full of 'noise'. That's coming from a guy who owns a Q3HD and a Q4. You won't ever need 4k to capture vid/sounds in your rehearsal room, The file size will be enormous and you'll hang yourself trying to get your PC work with it. Good luck cutting, editing and rendering such videos on an average machine. A cheaper Q3 HD will do the trick, it's one of my main go to systems to quickly record in room sounds and snippets of new songs. works like a charm just for the pure audio quality. :rock: :rock:

I feel like 1080p should be fine, but do you/anyone know for sure if 4k isn't probably going to be a requirement for the future of instagram/facebook/youtube vids? Because I'll just get the regular q2N if 4k isn't needed.

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 10, 2018 5:57pm 
Wannabe a Supah Stah

jco5055 wrote:
K-Roll wrote:

I feel like 1080p should be fine, but do you/anyone know for sure if 4k isn't probably going to be a requirement for the future of instagram/facebook/youtube vids? Because I'll just get the regular q2N if 4k isn't needed.

The 4k is only $199. Can't remember how much it is for the older one.

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 10, 2018 6:12pm 
Hack

romanianreaper wrote:
jco5055 wrote:
K-Roll wrote:

The 4k is only $199. Can't remember how much it is for the older one.

Guitar center has it on sale for $120

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 13, 2018 10:54am 
Journeyman NOOB

my wife got me the go pro hero 4 for stuff like that. it must have built in limiters on the mics because it rarely clips even in super loud rooms. its durable as hell. a bottle of 91% rubbing alcohol opened up onto it when it was in my suitcase, and melted the outside, but it still works.

plus you can mount it ANYWHERE.
https://www.facebook.com/james.ansell.9/videos/10154582434071715/

here is a clip from sticking it in the corner of an REALLY loud room. no clipping, nice mix.
https://www.facebook.com/james.ansell.9 ... 178081715/

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 13, 2018 1:40pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I have the Zoom Q3HD I use to record our gigs. Works really well. Video and audio always look and sound great. Here is a clip from our last show.

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 13, 2018 3:33pm 
Apprentice NOOB

My band uses Q2N's to record stuff at practice. Here's a sample of the in room quality from a recent practice

Also, our drummer put this little studio reel with footage he shot with the Q2N

Splawn Quickrod x2
Marshall 2203KK
VHT Deliverance 60
VHT Pittbull CL/50
Ceriatone Chupacabra 50
Mesa 2ch Triple Rectifier
Peavey Ultra +/XXX/XXX II/6534+/6505+