Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Mon, Jul 15, 2019 10:05pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu, Jan 10, 2019 6:24pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee

Joined: Fri, Nov 09, 2018 5:10pm
Posts: 318
Are you human?: 951
At some point this year I want to downsize my home amp. I play anything from punk to post post punk/garage to stuff like mastodon to Carcass. I was looking at a Revv 7-40, KSR Ares, and a Mesa Mark V 35 watt. Any of you guys have experience with all of these? So many options these days I've got paralysis. Since a lot of you guys have a different amp every couple weeks I thought I would post my question here. I had a Kemper at one point but ended up hating it so digital is out for me.

I had an EVH 5150 LBXII at one point and didnt really jive with it and the first time I took it to jam with a drummer I had to have it cranked to keep up. My dream amp is a Butterslax but unless they come up with a lower watt version at half the price I will have to keep that a dream. I have found that I like Marshall esq tone a bit more and currently have 2 splawn amps that are kinda being wasted at low volumes. I would like to have something I dont have to use an OD with.

_________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
yup


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Jan 10, 2019 6:31pm 
Offline
Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Fri, Jun 30, 2006 8:19am
Posts: 5097
Are you human?: 951
No experience with Revv nor Mark V. But I have an Ares. I like it. Good master so you can play at whatever volume you want. Accepts different types of tubes. Angry/pissed off sound. Versatile enough for a "single" channel with all the modes and dual masters. The KSR sound is basically all the good things about the SLO, Rectifier, Framus Cobra, and 5150 combined, without any of the bad. It's a set it and forget it type of amp, which I like. You don't have to continually fuck around with it. Just plug in and go.

_________________
Hiwatt Super-Hi 50
Hotrodified DIY JCM800
Mayones Duvell MBC


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Jan 10, 2019 6:35pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee

Joined: Fri, Nov 09, 2018 5:10pm
Posts: 318
Are you human?: 951
FourT6and2 wrote:
No experience with Revv nor Mark V. But I have an Ares. I like it. Good master so you can play at whatever volume you want. Accepts different types of tubes. Angry/pissed off sound. Versatile enough for a "single" channel with all the modes and dual masters. The KSR sound is basically all the good things about the SLO, Rectifier, Framus Cobra, and 5150 combined, without any of the bad. It's a set it and forget it type of amp, which I like. You don't have to continually fuck around with it. Just plug in and go.


Fucking around with settings it what ultimately got me to get rid of my Kemper. I spent more time switching profiles and settings than I did playing. Not to mention always having a nagging feeling somethings missing.

_________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
yup


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Jan 10, 2019 6:37pm 
Offline
Supah Stah
User avatar

Joined: Thu, May 27, 2010 6:24am
Posts: 2706
Location: DFW
Are you human?: 951
/\ what he says about KSR amps is truth. My Gemini is fantastic.

_________________
A candle looses nothing by lighting another candle.
Lean into the light as much as you can,even when there is darkness all around you.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Jan 10, 2019 6:40pm 
Offline
Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Wed, May 16, 2007 4:39pm
Posts: 5434
Location: Las Vegas
ClintN667 wrote:
FourT6and2 wrote:
No experience with Revv nor Mark V. But I have an Ares. I like it. Good master so you can play at whatever volume you want. Accepts different types of tubes. Angry/pissed off sound. Versatile enough for a "single" channel with all the modes and dual masters. The KSR sound is basically all the good things about the SLO, Rectifier, Framus Cobra, and 5150 combined, without any of the bad. It's a set it and forget it type of amp, which I like. You don't have to continually fuck around with it. Just plug in and go.


Fucking around with settings it what ultimately got me to get rid of my Kemper. I spent more time switching profiles and settings than I did playing. Not to mention always having a nagging feeling somethings missing.

You and me both.

I have the Gemini and it is awesome. Every mode/channel sounds good. Not even kidding.

_________________
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
I have some stuff and junk...

Gear Demos from a Guy Who Loves Gear!!!

Check out "Dunky's N' Demos at:

https://dunkysndemos.com
https://www.youtube.com/c/JeremyVarao


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Jan 10, 2019 6:46pm 
Offline
Wannabe a Supah Stah
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Aug 27, 2016 2:38pm
Posts: 2487
Location: Out of my mind
Are you human?: 951
Owned the ARES for a couple years. Meaner than a dog shitting tacks type of sound. Terrific low volume amp and one of the few amp I could use with out clean boosting via an od pedal, although clean boosting really helped it achieve better low volume tones. I think it would be good for Carcass type tones, but not sure about punk/Mastodon.

_________________
Good transactions with: BrokenRomeo, jco5055, harddriver, Hey_bert_whtcha_doin_bert, Tuckerbomb, krueger, ibzprestige, journeyman73, JerEvil, apophis(x2), DragonCrestPC, hammered(x3), Hardvalve, lowmantotempole, Mailman1971(x2), FLYINRYAN11, bwgintegra


"Give me liberty, or give me Death" Patrick Henry


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Jan 10, 2019 6:50pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee

Joined: Fri, Nov 09, 2018 5:10pm
Posts: 318
Are you human?: 951
The more I look at their site has me thinking Juno or Orthos. Damn G.A.S's like hell now.

_________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
yup


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Jan 10, 2019 6:55pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee

Joined: Thu, Feb 24, 2011 3:28am
Posts: 571
Are you human?: 951
I own a KSR Ares and Juno and both are simply awesome amps. They can cover so much ground and well built.

_________________
Good deals with:
tlingen
EMG77
Tonesfoyobones
se7en


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Jan 10, 2019 7:28pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee

Joined: Tue, Jul 08, 2014 3:40pm
Posts: 286
Are you human?: 951
The KSR is the only one that runs 6L6/EL34 etc. Mesa is 4 EL84 and Revv is 4 6v6. All things equal I would rather take 6L6/EL34 for harder styles.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Jan 10, 2019 7:50pm 
Offline
Journeyman NOOB
User avatar

Joined: Fri, May 26, 2017 4:05am
Posts: 244
Location: Palm Springs CA
Are you human?: 951
Mesa or KSR would be a great choice. Owned a Revv 120 mkII and sold it fast, just wasn't my thing at all.

_________________
Gibson Les Paul 6 strings and ESP & Ibanez 8 Strings
Mesa Quad Pre-amp ( modded )
Custom Wizard MCII with KT120's
Mesa Trem-o-verb Dual Rectifier 6L6's
VHT Ultra Lead master built ( modded ) KT88's
Friedman Butterslax EL34's
Diezel Einstein ( modded ) EL34's
Peavey Invective 120 6L6's
Custom cabs with modded UK vintage 30's


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Jan 10, 2019 9:55pm 
Offline
Journeyman NOOB

Joined: Sun, Nov 03, 2013 7:54pm
Posts: 202
Are you human?: 951
I don't think many have played the Revv. Check out this video if you haven't seen it yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb-1w0ECtWo&t=307s
I have a Generator 120 on order so my excitement is aimed that direction. I wish the 7-40 had depth/presence controls, but otherwise it looks stellar. Someone on TGP called it the modern Dumble. Could be worth taking the leap, but I don't think you'll go wrong with KSR, or Mesa for that matter.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Jan 10, 2019 10:09pm 
Offline
Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Fri, Jun 30, 2006 8:19am
Posts: 5097
Are you human?: 951
ClintN667 wrote:
The more I look at their site has me thinking Juno or Orthos. Damn G.A.S's like hell now.


From what Kyle told me, the Orthos is a two-channel Ares. So if you need a dedicated clean channel, go with the Orthos. I also have a Gemini, which is similar in setup to the Orthos, except with different transformers and it's got a slightly different character/feel. A little more Bogner-esque.

_________________
Hiwatt Super-Hi 50
Hotrodified DIY JCM800
Mayones Duvell MBC


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Jan 10, 2019 10:24pm 
Offline
Supah Stah
User avatar

Joined: Thu, Sep 04, 2008 9:14am
Posts: 4567
Are you human?: 951
I love my Revv. The bad review in the post above is the only negative post I've seen on their amps. They sound amazing in a high gain band mix.

That being said, out of the amps listed, only the Ares has the big glass, and I know that amp has some intoxicating mids. I'd that one of the three.

_________________
https://www.reverbnation.com/beforeitwaswritten


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat, Jan 12, 2019 10:56am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Fri, Jul 17, 2009 6:25am
Posts: 1888
Are you human?: 951
DragonCrestPC wrote:
Mesa or KSR would be a great choice. Owned a Revv 120 mkII and sold it fast, just wasn't my thing at all.


Sold it fast? And why would that be?

I have one and it is the best amp i have had to date. And i have had a lot of amps, a lot.

First time i hear a bad comment, well, do tell why you sold it fast, very curious.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat, Jan 12, 2019 11:10am 
Offline
Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Fri, Jun 30, 2006 8:19am
Posts: 5097
Are you human?: 951
7 Stringer wrote:
DragonCrestPC wrote:
Mesa or KSR would be a great choice. Owned a Revv 120 mkII and sold it fast, just wasn't my thing at all.


Sold it fast? And why would that be?

I have one and it is the best amp i have had to date. And i have had a lot of amps, a lot.

First time i hear a bad comment, well, do tell why you sold it fast, very curious.


He already said why: "Just wasn't my thing at all."

_________________
Hiwatt Super-Hi 50
Hotrodified DIY JCM800
Mayones Duvell MBC


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat, Jan 12, 2019 11:17am 
Offline
Wannabe a Supah Stah
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Aug 27, 2016 2:38pm
Posts: 2487
Location: Out of my mind
Are you human?: 951
crankyrayhanky wrote:
I love my Revv. The bad review in the post above is the only negative post I've seen on their amps. They sound amazing in a high gain band mix.

That being said, out of the amps listed, only the Ares has the big glass, and I know that amp has some intoxicating mids. I'd that one of the three.


The mids on the Ares are indeed unique. To me it's that characteristic that separates it most from other high gainers. Down right vulgar the mids are on that amp :rawk:

_________________
Good transactions with: BrokenRomeo, jco5055, harddriver, Hey_bert_whtcha_doin_bert, Tuckerbomb, krueger, ibzprestige, journeyman73, JerEvil, apophis(x2), DragonCrestPC, hammered(x3), Hardvalve, lowmantotempole, Mailman1971(x2), FLYINRYAN11, bwgintegra


"Give me liberty, or give me Death" Patrick Henry


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 13, 2019 11:30pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Fri, Jul 17, 2009 6:25am
Posts: 1888
Are you human?: 951
FourT6and2 wrote:
7 Stringer wrote:
DragonCrestPC wrote:
Mesa or KSR would be a great choice. Owned a Revv 120 mkII and sold it fast, just wasn't my thing at all.


Sold it fast? And why would that be?

I have one and it is the best amp i have had to date. And i have had a lot of amps, a lot.

First time i hear a bad comment, well, do tell why you sold it fast, very curious.


He already said why: "Just wasn't my thing at all."


I can read thank you.

The question was aimed at him, not you.

I wanted to know what he did not like about it. I am curious, not sarcastic.........


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 13, 2019 11:42pm 
Offline
Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Fri, Jun 30, 2006 8:19am
Posts: 5097
Are you human?: 951
MetalHeadMike wrote:
crankyrayhanky wrote:
I love my Revv. The bad review in the post above is the only negative post I've seen on their amps. They sound amazing in a high gain band mix.

That being said, out of the amps listed, only the Ares has the big glass, and I know that amp has some intoxicating mids. I'd that one of the three.


The mids on the Ares are indeed unique. To me it's that characteristic that separates it most from other high gainers. Down right vulgar the mids are on that amp :rawk:


Have you used it with other tubes besides 6L6? I haven't yet, but I bet it would sound good with 6CA7.

_________________
Hiwatt Super-Hi 50
Hotrodified DIY JCM800
Mayones Duvell MBC


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue, Jan 15, 2019 3:49pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee

Joined: Fri, Nov 09, 2018 5:10pm
Posts: 318
Are you human?: 951
I ordered an Ares this morning. I was almost going to grab an Orthos but I tried to remember the last time I actually used a clean tone and I couldnt remember. Now the wait is going to kill me.

_________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
yup


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue, Jan 15, 2019 4:22pm 
Offline
Wannabe a Supah Stah
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Aug 27, 2016 2:38pm
Posts: 2487
Location: Out of my mind
Are you human?: 951
FourT6and2 wrote:
MetalHeadMike wrote:
crankyrayhanky wrote:
I love my Revv. The bad review in the post above is the only negative post I've seen on their amps. They sound amazing in a high gain band mix.

That being said, out of the amps listed, only the Ares has the big glass, and I know that amp has some intoxicating mids. I'd that one of the three.


The mids on the Ares are indeed unique. To me it's that characteristic that separates it most from other high gainers. Down right vulgar the mids are on that amp :rawk:


Have you used it with other tubes besides 6L6? I haven't yet, but I bet it would sound good with 6CA7.



I have not. Owned mine for a couple years and it sounded great with the stock JJ 6L6, so I never messed with it. Was getting ready to try KT77 in there but sold it before getting around to trying them.

_________________
Good transactions with: BrokenRomeo, jco5055, harddriver, Hey_bert_whtcha_doin_bert, Tuckerbomb, krueger, ibzprestige, journeyman73, JerEvil, apophis(x2), DragonCrestPC, hammered(x3), Hardvalve, lowmantotempole, Mailman1971(x2), FLYINRYAN11, bwgintegra


"Give me liberty, or give me Death" Patrick Henry


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 311splawndude, jasonP, LeftOurEyes, Rockitttt, sutepaj, The Traveller, thrashinbatman and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group - Terms of Use