Mesa/Boogie Mark V 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Peavey Triple XXX 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Marshall 8100 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0
 Post subject: Thrash Metal Amps!
PostPosted: Wed, Feb 13, 2019 6:49pm 
Hack

Are you human?: 951
Recently I have been looking for a new amp for thrash and heavy metal, and my top three choices are Peavey 6505+, Peavey Triple XXX, and a Mesa/Boogie Mark V. At this point the 6505+ is what i'm thinking about getting because of great distortion and lower price. I have also seen Marshall 8100 which seems fine, but i'm not entirely sure about it. My budget at the moment is around $800. I want to get tones like early Metallica and Megadeth. Which amp would be the best for me? If I do get the Peavey, what can I do to get better clean tones?

ESP LTD Arrow-401
ESP LTD KH-202

Last edited by Metalmann13 on Thu, Feb 21, 2019 9:33pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Thrash Metal Amps!
PostPosted: Wed, Feb 13, 2019 6:52pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Honestly none of those would be my first choice for thrash. With your budget, I'd be looking at a Splawn Quickrod or Fryette/VHT Deliverance 60.

Good transactions with: BrokenRomeo, jco5055, harddriver, Hey_bert_whtcha_doin_bert, Tuckerbomb, krueger, ibzprestige, journeyman73, JerEvil, apophis(x2), DragonCrestPC, hammered(x2), Hardvalve, lowmantotempole, Mailman1971(x2), FLYINRYAN11, bwgintegra

"Give me liberty, or give me Death" Patrick Henry

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 13, 2019 6:54pm 
Rock God

I'd take a Triple XXX and put KT77's in it for thrash before I'd go 6505+

Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica and Pantera all have pretty different guitar tones. Which of those do you lean towards the most?

MetalHeadMike wrote:
Honestly none of those would be my first choice for thrash. With your budget, I'd be looking at a Splawn Quickrod or Fryette/VHT Deliverance 60.

This!

Gear Demos from a Guy Who Loves Gear!!!

Check out "Dunky's N' Demos at:

https://dunkysndemos.com
https://www.youtube.com/c/JeremyVarao

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 13, 2019 6:59pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

JerEvil wrote:

Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica and Pantera all have pretty different guitar tones. Which of those do you lean towards the most?

MetalHeadMike wrote:

This!

Hell yeah on the Triple XXX :thumbsup: It doesn't get much more thrash than Exodus :rock:

Good transactions with: BrokenRomeo, jco5055, harddriver, Hey_bert_whtcha_doin_bert, Tuckerbomb, krueger, ibzprestige, journeyman73, JerEvil, apophis(x2), DragonCrestPC, hammered(x2), Hardvalve, lowmantotempole, Mailman1971(x2), FLYINRYAN11, bwgintegra

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 13, 2019 7:02pm 
Rock God

MetalHeadMike wrote:
JerEvil wrote:

MetalHeadMike wrote:

This!

Hell yeah on the Triple XXX :thumbsup: It doesn't get much more thrash than Exodus :rock:

I'm saying. $350 all day too. Those amps can be had for a song!

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Peave ... 4743493.gc

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 13, 2019 7:06pm 
Journeyman NOOB

JerEvil wrote:

MetalHeadMike wrote:

This!

This again. Metalheadmike and JerEvil both have it right. These suggestions are all miles better than the amps in the pole. I own all of them AND play in a thrash band. The QR is my #1 choice, followed by the VHT Deliverance.

Splawn Quickrod x2
VHT Deliverance 60
VHT Pittbull CL/50
Ceriatone Chupacabra 50
Mesa Stiletto Trident Stage II
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa 2ch Dual + Triple Rectifier
Engl Powerball V1
EVH 5150III 50 V2
Peavey 5150 FJA/Ultra +/XXX/6505+

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 13, 2019 7:23pm 
Journeyman NOOB

QR for sure. Buddy of mine has one and it's great for thrash.

Mesa Trem-o-verb Dual Rectifier
VHT Ultra Lead master built ( modded )
Friedman Butterslax
Diezel Einstein ( modded )
Custom cabs with modded UK vintage 30's

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 13, 2019 7:55pm 
Journeyman NOOB

I guess I'm surprised by the responses, though I've never played a Deliverance (had a Sig X for a bit). I've heard they are pretty similar. 6505+ is an awesome all-around metal amp, including thrash. 5153 is another contender in that vein. Maybe not pure thrash amps but what is really? Mark is a pretty defining Metallica tone too, but yes out of OP's price range.

Agreed, Dual Rec isn't really what you're looking for. Never played a Splawn, I should look into them.

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 13, 2019 8:01pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

My 5150 II can get thrash tones all day long, and the clean is superb with some chorus. Throw an EQ in the loop and you sculpt the tone to anything you want. Awesome amp.

Lower the gain and throw an OD for even more options.

For what you listed as far as bands go, this would be my number 1 choice.

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 13, 2019 8:20pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

People far more well versed than I are chiming in, but I think everyone should at some time own a 5150/6505. It’s just does a thing plugged straight in that I haven’t heard in other amps. Good luck with the hunt!

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 13, 2019 9:07pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

This would be another one to consider right in your budget:

https://reverb.com/item/16421846-engl-r ... nature-100

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 13, 2019 9:40pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Mesa Mark III

Excellent transactions with: sjk (S: Soldano SLO 100), glip22 (S: Gibson Historic LP R7), MrPlexi (S: Suhr PT100), Metalhead (S: PRS SC-250 AP), killertone (S: Diezel Herbert), tlingen (S: Engl SE EL34), fuzzyguitars (S: PRS Tremonti Trem & Gibson Historic LP R8), xzyryabx (S: Engl Savage 120), Devilinside (S: Randall Satan), DarkCide: (S: ESP M-II), Mizati20 (S: PV 6505+), bartmcartman (S: Bogner XTC 101B), thaifoo (S: Engl Savage 120), lester (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12), adrenalinejunky (S: Fryette UltraLead), gbsmusic (S: Fender EVH Wolfgang), savant421 (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12 cab), ams2ek (S: Mills Acoustics 4X12 cab), blastcap (S: Gibson Explorer), braciola (S: PV EVH Wolfgang USA), splawner (S: Wampler Plextortion), mhenson42 (S: Celestion V30 speakers), Gsxrbusa (S: Jackson SL2H), El Mariachi (S: Suhr Koko Boost), braintheory (S: Engl SE EL34), ChurchHill (S: Gibson Historic Custom BBR7), RKnight (S: Mesa Mark IV), and many more.

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 13, 2019 9:49pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

My MKIII will destroy any amp in the poll, just my II cents.

'79 1960B Marshall Cab w/G12M-25 creambacks

Numerous Custom Jackson King V's

Sell me your Jackson KV1T :rawk:

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 13, 2019 9:53pm 
Supah Stah

I agree with Jer.....the tones you reference, while all being thrashy, are pretty different.

Do you want old school thrash or more modern thrash?

FWIW, thrash tone is where I live on guitar and I can get there in a lot of ways, but it is kind of hard to beat modded Marshall type amps and Mesa Mark series as the basic platform for thrash. With a mid heavy boost up front and an EQ in the loop, you can nail a lot of different thrash tones.

Pantera is the outlier. You can get close with a lot of amps, but to REALLY get there you need an old school SS Randall and a PQ3 or PQ6 (two 3’s in the same unit.....this is what I have, so I can run one in front and one in the loop of my RG100HT)

With all that said, I played in a thrash band for a long time using an old school JCM 800 boosted, then went to a Marshall DSL50 when I got tired of sound guys telling me to turn down (the 800 needed to be FUCKING LOUD to sound good)...and I think the DSL is a very underrated amp for thrash.

The XXX is a great reccomendation and is an awesome sounding amp, regardless of the price.

Lots of rambling here :D

Concentrated
Competent
Competitive
Cohesive
Cheerful
Childlike (NOT CHILDISH)
Committed
Consistent
Confident

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 13, 2019 10:31pm 
Hack

mctallica1 wrote:
I agree with Jer.....the tones you reference, while all being thrashy, are pretty different.

FWIW, thrash tone is where I live on guitar and I can get there in a lot of ways, but it is kind of hard to beat modded Marshall type amps and Mesa Mark series as the basic platform for thrash. With a mid heavy boost up front and an EQ in the loop, you can nail a lot of different thrash tones.

Pantera is the outlier. You can get close with a lot of amps, but to REALLY get there you need an old school SS Randall and a PQ3 or PQ6 (two 3’s in the same unit.....this is what I have, so I can run one in front and one in the loop of my RG100HT)

With all that said, I played in a thrash band for a long time using an old school JCM 800 boosted, then went to a Marshall DSL50 when I got tired of sound guys telling me to turn down (the 800 needed to be FUCKING LOUD to sound good)...and I think the DSL is a very underrated amp for thrash.

The XXX is a great reccomendation and is an awesome sounding amp, regardless of the price.

The main band I would like to emulate is Metallica, but I am leaning towards a 6505+ because I also play a lot of heavy metal.

ESP LTD Arrow-401
ESP LTD KH-202

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 13, 2019 10:37pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Wizard of Ozz wrote:
Mesa Mark III

Agreed, Mark III for sure! In this price range none of the other amps mentioned come even close unless you get very lucky and find a cheap older JCM800. That plus a good overdrive pedal would be the ones to consider imo

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 13, 2019 11:34pm 
Apprentice NOOB

Mark III, Peavey XXX, or a Marshall JVM would be my choices. The Engl Blackmore is really good too, I'd recommend an Engl Savage but those are probably cost a bit too much.

Modded Marshall JCM800 "Satanic Hispanic"
Mesa Rectifier Traditional 4x12
Engl 412XXL
LTD DV8-R
LTD Snakebyte
LTD Alexi-600
ESP Mirage Deluxe

https://hellevate.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 14, 2019 6:51am 
Apprentice NOOB

I have a Splawn Nitro and I love it. It does the punchy Marshally thrash tones pretty well. It really depends on which type of tone you are chasing though. It can do Slayer, Megadeth type shit all day. Metallica, Anthrax not really.

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 14, 2019 8:10am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Metalmann13 wrote:
mctallica1 wrote:

The main band I would like to emulate is Metallica, but I am leaning towards a 6505+ because I also play a lot of heavy metal.

Which Metallica era? They are quite a bit different really. I would personally go 5150III over the 6505+ based on what your saying but its all a matter of what tones you really need.

CAB- Diezel 212 FL V30's, Orange 212PPC

GUITAR's- Jackson HT6 W/BKP Juggs, PRS SE CU24, ESP 608b

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 14, 2019 9:09am 
Supah Stah

Cheapest....Peavey XXX. Think Gary Holt/Exodus tone and boost the front with mids for that razor cut. A graphic eq and Decimator in the loop for final tone shaping and silencing the hiss. Holts tone cuts thru any mix,and harmonics jump off your fretboard like pubic lice from a 60's era bush set on fire. Pure thrash. Use the extra bux saved for good tubes.

Fuck the clean tone.

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 14, 2019 1:16pm 
Apprentice NOOB

Marshall Valvestate 8100!
An all time thrash masterpiece! Just ask Tommy Victor he'll tell ya... Or Chuck Schuldiner RIP
Plus it will leave ya with probably $400-$500 bills to spare

"People frown upon it, people scrunch up their nose, people roll their eyes, people don't expect much when they hear the name of this amp... People have no fucking clue how awesome it is... People are Stupid..." Lasse Lammert

Last edited by riffsfordaze on Thu, Feb 14, 2019 2:03pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 14, 2019 1:25pm 
Apprentice NOOB

Get a Mesa Mark III or Mark IV. Will be below 1k$ and you will not back in terms of thrash metal tones.

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 14, 2019 1:58pm 
Hack

:rock: Mesa Mkiii is killer for thrash,regardless of time period ime. They can usually be found for around 800-900$ ime.

Mesa F100
Mesa F30

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 14, 2019 4:13pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

ADA MP-1 with a power amp or a XXX

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 14, 2019 4:33pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

riffsfordaze wrote:
An all time thrash masterpiece! Just ask Tommy Victor he'll tell ya... Or Chuck Schuldiner RIP

"People frown upon it, people scrunch up their nose, people roll their eyes, people don't expect much when they hear the name of this amp... People have no fucking clue how awesome it is... People are Stupid..." Lasse Lammert

THE 8100 ABSOLUTELY RIPS :rock: I just grabbed one last month, and it's a stellar thrash/death metal amp. Easily hangs with all my other "High end Boutique" amps and it only runs about $150-$200 :lol: :LOL: Eq in the loop, plug straight in, and look the Fu#k out :rawk:

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 14, 2019 4:44pm 
Rock God

MetalHeadMike wrote:
riffsfordaze wrote:

THE 8100 ABSOLUTELY RIPS :rock: I just grabbed one last month, and it's a stellar thrash/death metal amp. Easily hangs with all my other "High end Boutique" amps and it only runs about $150-$200 :lol: :LOL: Eq in the loop, plug straight in, and look the Fu#k out :rawk:

I have a set of m8100 profiles for Kemper and I LOVED them when I was a KPA guy actually. The 8100 and matching cab was my first "real" half stack" when I was 16.

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 14, 2019 4:48pm 
Apprentice NOOB

This album is a Mark III. Hell yeah it's a good thrash amp.

Modded Marshall JCM800 "Satanic Hispanic"
Mesa Rectifier Traditional 4x12
Engl 412XXL
LTD DV8-R
LTD Snakebyte
LTD Alexi-600
ESP Mirage Deluxe

https://hellevate.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 14, 2019 4:57pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

That's right, Lee used MKIII amps for years.

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 14, 2019 5:44pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

That's right, Lee used MKIII amps for years. He is one of the best guitarists alive.

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 14, 2019 5:52pm 
Supah Stah

Randall "Thrasher 50". Killer amp!

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 14, 2019 9:39pm 
Apprentice NOOB

MetalHeadMike wrote:
riffsfordaze wrote:

Amen :cheers:

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 15, 2019 12:25pm 
Hack

mctallica1 wrote:
It is kind of hard to beat modded Marshall type amps and Mesa Mark series as the basic platform for thrash.

^^ This.

A used JCM 800 with KT88 and a booster (Slayer, Testament),
a used Peavey 5150 blockletter (old Sepultura, Kreator, Machine head)
a used Mark III (you name it)
a used Engl powerball,fireball,savage (there is a signature head for Mille Petrozza founder/gitarist of Kreator)

CELESTIAL DOGMA (Electro music coming straight from the heart):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHdQTR ... 4S1Vut6uCg

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 15, 2019 1:01pm 
Journeyman NOOB

This thread makes me feel old. I've got three heads right now, Mark III blue stripe, EVH 5153, and a Peavey C50 (not thrash) and all I've been playing is jazz on my Katana combo. :lame:

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 15, 2019 2:04pm 
Apprentice NOOB

Peavey Ultra/Triple XXX would be my choice from those listed.

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 15, 2019 11:34pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

literally every amp mentioned has been used in thrash. cant lose.

Les Paul and some Jacksons.
A box full of boost pedals

great transactions w: neeklaus, type_o_neg, RockStarNick, sswanson, ///MK, DoomBuggi, Retrojet, Bwill81, AmpliFIRE, Mizati20, Bubbastain, colimofsmoke, crankyrayhanky, UberschallEL34 RKnight, the rossness, battery198 alowerdeep, Tronald Dump.

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 16, 2019 11:24am 
Plank Cranker

I say Marshall 8100. Best bang for your buck metal amp ever. I will more than satisfy your thrash metal needs for a lot less money. The old Randalls can’t be beat either. The mid 90’s RH200’s can be had for under $200 all day and are heavy metal as fuck.

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 16, 2019 12:34pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I believe Chuck Schuldner user a bi-chorus 8200.

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 16, 2019 2:43pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

mchn13 wrote:
literally every amp mentioned has been used in thrash. cant lose.

Yup. Fire away, have fun, get another one when the bug strikes!

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 16, 2019 4:35pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

5152/6505+ will def do what you want , especially boosted with a 808 type pedal . They can be had cheap and I would prefer it over A Recto and a MarkV having owned all 3 the peavey just sounds right to me and is easy to dial in where the Mesa stuff is much more picky when it comes to pickups and speakers. Mark V was a big let down for me if you must go Mesa I would go with a Mark III in that price price range of $900 you mentioned. However once again the peavey is just flat out better for me, it cuts better in a live mix too and you can easily switch to a nice clean tone which is not as easy with the MK III .

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 16, 2019 4:48pm 
Hack

the4thlast1 wrote:
5152/6505+ will def do what you want , especially boosted with a 808 type pedal . They can be had cheap and I would prefer it over A Recto and a MarkV having owned all 3 the peavey just sounds right to me and is easy to dial in where the Mesa stuff is much more picky when it comes to pickups and speakers. Mark V was a big let down for me if you must go Mesa I would go with a Mark III in that price price range of $900 you mentioned. However once again the peavey is just flat out better for me, it cuts better in a live mix too and you can easily switch to a nice clean tone which is not as easy with the MK III .

I have been looking at the triple xxx and the 6505+, which do you think would be better for old Metallica tone?

ESP LTD Arrow-401
ESP LTD KH-202

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 16, 2019 6:01pm 
Just a Peasant

You’re asking for a single amp to do a range of “thrash” and “heavy metal” tones. Seems like what you need is a good modeler unless you’re willing to find a good tone in your price range and stick with it, and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 16, 2019 8:02pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Metalmann13 wrote:
the4thlast1 wrote:

I have been looking at the triple xxx and the 6505+, which do you think would be better for old Metallica tone?

either dude, just gotta remember with both of those to roll back the gain, and get the chunk the hard earned way. the recorded tones are highly regarded(like most legacy tones), because of the popularity, and the originality of the material. if you play it right it will sound right homey.

Les Paul and some Jacksons.
A box full of boost pedals

great transactions w: neeklaus, type_o_neg, RockStarNick, sswanson, ///MK, DoomBuggi, Retrojet, Bwill81, AmpliFIRE, Mizati20, Bubbastain, colimofsmoke, crankyrayhanky, UberschallEL34 RKnight, the rossness, battery198 alowerdeep, Tronald Dump.

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 16, 2019 9:27pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Another vote here for the 6505+.

I recently got a 6505 and for metal it is just so hard to beat, especially with a V30 loaded cab.

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 16, 2019 11:19pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Metalmann13 wrote:
the4thlast1 wrote:

Out of any peavey amp my vote is gonna be 6505+ , it just sounds right. Good clarity , tight bass , strong mids to cut through. I've owned too many amps to list, amps that cost 3-4x the price of a 6505+, for all styles of metal it kicks most amps ass IMO.

There is a reason why most recording engineers that cater to metal stick with the 5150 amps, they kill for the styles we are talking about. So yeah , thrash , metallica stuff, modern metal , old school and even extreme metal it can do all that stuff. Triple XXX isnt bad but it doesnt sit in the right pocket like the 6505+ does, XXX has a wider frequency range that can get out of control and not as defined and not centered in the right midrange. Thats my opinion , others might disagree because they need to clean out there ears , haha just joking nobody freak out :bleh:

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 18, 2019 12:36pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

rottingcorpse wrote:
Cheapest....Peavey XXX. Think Gary Holt/Exodus tone and boost the front with mids for that razor cut. A graphic eq and Decimator in the loop for final tone shaping and silencing the hiss. Holts tone cuts thru any mix,and harmonics jump off your fretboard like pubic lice from a 60's era bush set on fire. Pure thrash. Use the extra bux saved for good tubes.

Fuck the clean tone.

Yep,I agree..I had one last year and miss it a lot.

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 18, 2019 2:06pm 
Journeyman NOOB

I own every amp in the poll except for a mark V. I should just do a shootout and post it here.

Splawn Quickrod x2
VHT Deliverance 60
VHT Pittbull CL/50
Ceriatone Chupacabra 50
Mesa Stiletto Trident Stage II
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa 2ch Dual + Triple Rectifier
Engl Powerball V1
EVH 5150III 50 V2
Peavey 5150 FJA/Ultra +/XXX/6505+

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 18, 2019 3:10pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

On a side note, a used Peters FSM or Gryphon can get thrashy tones, and they can be had for a decent amount lately. Sure love mine and we play Slayer,Exodus, old Metallica..

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 19, 2019 7:34pm 
Hack

Kinda suprised the poll choices didn't included choices like a JCM800 + tubescreamer, or JCM 900... To me, those deliver that old school Thrash (Sepultura, Anthrax, Slayer, etc.).

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 19, 2019 7:58pm 
Plank Cranker

Jcm 800 kk

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 19, 2019 8:22pm 
Hack

LCW wrote:
Kinda suprised the poll choices didn't included choices like a JCM800 + tubescreamer, or JCM 900... To me, those deliver that old school Thrash (Sepultura, Anthrax, Slayer, etc.).

I have a AVT150H Valvestate and that kinda ruined Marshall for me.

ESP LTD Arrow-401
ESP LTD KH-202