Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Sun, May 26, 2019 5:42am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Thu, Mar 14, 2019 3:43pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Are you human?: 951
Just ordered one as well. Very curious! :rock:

Engl Savage 60 + Two Notes Torpedo Live
Engl e670 Special Edition EL34 + HB 212V cab (G12K85 +V30)
EVH 5150 III 50W + Mesa Boogie 2x12 Vertical Slant cab
Fender '74 Princeton Reverb (w/ Eminence Legend 105-8)
Marshall Lead 100 MOSFET + 1966A & 1966B cabs
Mesa Boogie Mark V:25 + Mesa 1x12 Thiele EVM cab
Roland Jazz Chorus JC-55 combo & JC-120H head
Axes:
Burny Les Paul (3x), Charvel So-Cal, Epiphone Wildkat, ESP Horizon NT-II, Fender '68 RI Strat, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, G&L ASAT Classic Tribute, Ibanez S540FM & Kramer SM-1 Guitars

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 14, 2019 4:47pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

well, got mine and I'm not too happy with it. This is supposed to be the version for floyd roses.

I don't know if I got the wrong type, but the screw is barely long enough (you only get one), and it's way too finicky to install if it is the right screw. It was literally the difference of 1 or 2 threads for it to either clear the tailpiece, or be stuck under the lip. It took several readjustments to finally find that happy medium where it moved freely. It would either get stuck in the tone vise head, or not have enough travel to lock down the string.

that's not the real problem though. Don't know if you can see from this pic:

the tension springs for the saddle lock screw get pushed against the body when in E mode. It doesn't allow it to fully go into E. This renders it useless.

I realize this is a FR Special, so maybe the tension spring has bigger downward tabs the an OFR.

*edited for stupid heat of the moment hyperbole

Last edited by Riggins1966 on Fri, Mar 15, 2019 8:27am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 14, 2019 8:59pm 
Hack

You have it installed a little too close to the whale tail, just unscrew it and back it out a turn and re-install.

Yes, the Korean made Floyds have a much different spring than the OFR, sometimes the smaller tab sticks out further. I sometimes will adjust that little tab back just a touch with some needle nose pliers.

BTW, I can send you a longer screw if you like.

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 15, 2019 2:20am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

napalmdeath wrote:
The D-tuna sucks. Glad to see something that seems better built. Had two Wolfgangs with the D-Tuna and they were a huge pain in the ass that needed constant tweaking, re-adjusting, tweaking, adjusting. Flimsy pieces of shit, if you ask me.

I had a pair of Wolfgangs. Same thing. I removed them, then I had to find a shorter string holding screw so it didn't look dumb. The d-tuna is an engineering fail IMO.

The tone vise looks like a plausable alternative. Cool!

Splawn: PROMOD KT88, Nitro KT88, Super Sport. Orange: Rockerverb 50mki. Mesa:MKIV, Tremoverb, Nomad 100, Subway Blues, .22 cal w/GEQ. Krank Rev+. Fryette Sig:X. Rivera k100, Peavey JSX, 6505. Randall C-200. Musicman 100RD, Fender: 72 SF Bassman, 70 Twin Reverb, 67 SF Bandmaster. Ampeg: Lee Jackson, AX70, Crate BV120 w/CEC mods, BUILDS: 5F1, 1978X 18 Watt. BUILDS IN PROCESS: AA165, JTM45. And a bunch of modded VJR's. 40 guitars and countless pedals.

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 15, 2019 7:07am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

swamptrashstompboxes wrote:
napalmdeath wrote:
The D-tuna sucks. Glad to see something that seems better built. Had two Wolfgangs with the D-Tuna and they were a huge pain in the ass that needed constant tweaking, re-adjusting, tweaking, adjusting. Flimsy pieces of shit, if you ask me.

I had a pair of Wolfgangs. Same thing. I removed them, then I had to find a shorter string holding screw so it didn't look dumb. The d-tuna is an engineering fail IMO.

The tone vise looks like a plausable alternative. Cool!

I have 7 Wolfgangs, well 5 and 2 EBMM EVH. They all have a D Tuna and they all work perfectly.

I even have some on my Ibanez Edge trems and they work great.

How come you can't get one to work?

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 15, 2019 8:26am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Tone Vise wrote:
You have it installed a little too close to the whale tail, just unscrew it and back it out a turn and re-install.

Yes, the Korean made Floyds have a much different spring than the OFR, sometimes the smaller tab sticks out further. I sometimes will adjust that little tab back just a touch with some needle nose pliers.

BTW, I can send you a longer screw if you like.

Thank you very much for standing behind your product.That means more to me than you may think.

I know I had it installed a little too close, but it's right where it barely clears the tail, and still locks the string down. I will PM you shortly.

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 15, 2019 12:56pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Riggins1966 wrote:
well, got mine and I'm not too happy with it. This is supposed to be the version for floyd roses.

I don't know if I got the wrong type, but the screw is barely long enough (you only get one), and it's way too finicky to install if it is the right screw. It was literally the difference of 1 or 2 threads for it to either clear the tailpiece, or be stuck under the lip. It took several readjustments to finally find that happy medium where it moved freely. It would either get stuck in the tone vise head, or not have enough travel to lock down the string.

the tension springs for the saddle lock screw get pushed against the body when in E mode. It doesn't allow it to fully go into E. This renders it useless.

I realize this is a FR Special, so maybe the tension spring has bigger downward tabs the an OFR.

I just put one on and it works. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe it is not supposed to go between the spring and the bottom of the fine tune screw. I have mine between the spring and the bottom of the whale tale.

EVH Frankenstein Strat (Homemade)
Gibson Solid Guitar
1970's Ludwig 3-Ply "Orphan Bonham" Kit

Good dealings with ridner, Shark Diver, EVHFAN

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 15, 2019 1:07pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I just installed it and it appears to be working as advertised. For me, the biggest drawback is not being able to use the fine tuner in the lock (E) position. And buying one of those clamps isn’t really a solution. I’d like to see a revised version of the tone vise where the protrusion does slide between the fine tuner screw and the spring (like) the d-tuna so adjustments can be made in either mode. Just my two cents.

Attachments:
1D52B1BB-2794-41A5-BCD4-CD57290F2BDC.jpeg
1D52B1BB-2794-41A5-BCD4-CD57290F2BDC.jpeg [ 547.92 KiB | Viewed 539 times ]

Gibson Solid Guitar

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 15, 2019 2:40pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Stramm8 wrote:
Riggins1966 wrote:

I just put one on and it works. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe it is not supposed to go between the spring and the bottom of the fine tune screw. I have mine between the spring and the bottom of the whale tale.

Correct, but the screw wasn't long enough to lock the string, and still protrude far enough past the tail.

Mark is an absolute straight shooter though, and is correcting this by shooting me a longer screw to accommodate that. The tension spring is on me, I will either adjust it with a pair or needle-nose pliers, or drop on a spring with shorter tabs (that I do have).

All in all, I will admit that I've never used these things (of any kind) before and I know I had some faults installing it. I do think it goes much easier on a FR with the cavity route, though. The guitar I'm putting it on is a flush mount trem (Jackson Adrian Smith sig.)

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 15, 2019 2:41pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Stramm8 wrote:
I just installed it and it appears to be working as advertised. For me, the biggest drawback is not being able to use the fine tuner in the lock (E) position. And buying one of those clamps isn’t really a solution. I’d like to see a revised version of the tone vise where the protrusion does slide between the fine tuner screw and the spring (like) the d-tuna so adjustments can be made in either mode. Just my two cents.

looks like your bridge has a bit more clearance from the body than Mine does. That certainly helps a lot.

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 15, 2019 3:34pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Stramm8 wrote:

So when the PS is in the E position, you cannot fine tune the E at all? And if you do need to fine tune the E, you then have to unlock the nut?

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 15, 2019 4:48pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
Stramm8 wrote:

So when the PS is in the E position, you cannot fine tune the E at all? And if you do need to fine tune the E, you then have to unlock the nut?

That is correct. You have to zoom in on this pic to see that the fine tuner screw does not come in contact with the saddle screw while in the E position. If you screwed the fine tuner down low enough to push the screw down to tune it sharper, it would totally throw the D position out. So at that point you might as well just not use it. I bought one before I understood how it worked but figured what the hell?? I mean it works but time will tell if it’s practical.

Attachments:
B33A1540-CA52-4CE7-8BA4-6D9D0FE4735C.jpeg
B33A1540-CA52-4CE7-8BA4-6D9D0FE4735C.jpeg [ 202.34 KiB | Viewed 516 times ]

Gibson Solid Guitar

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 15, 2019 8:15pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Stramm8 wrote:
That is correct. You have to zoom in on this pic to see that the fine tuner screw does not come in contact with the saddle screw while in the E position. If you screwed the fine tuner down low enough to push the screw down to tune it sharper, it would totally throw the D position out. So at that point you might as well just not use it. I bought one before I understood how it worked but figured what the hell?? I mean it works but time will tell if it’s practical.

For me, its only practical if you can fine tune the E or D. I misunderstood how it worked.

So tell me this, can you lock the E to perfect pitch, then drop it to D without needing to fine tune and then engage it back up to E without needing to fine tune, and it will be in perfect pitch?

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 15, 2019 8:50pm 
Supah Stah

Yes mine does.

You can fine tune the drop d position but not the E position.

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 15, 2019 8:55pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
Stramm8 wrote:

For me, its only practical if you can fine tune the E or D. I misunderstood how it worked.

So tell me this, can you lock the E to perfect pitch, then drop it to D without needing to fine tune and then engage it back up to E without needing to fine tune, and it will be in perfect pitch?

Yes, that does work perfectly. You can fine tune it in the D position. I mean it does work well. I’ve been playing with it all day and I haven’t had to unlock the nut to retune.

Gibson Solid Guitar

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 17, 2019 10:25am 
Hack

Quote:
Yes, that does work perfectly. You can fine tune it in the D position. I mean it does work well. I’ve been playing with it all day and I haven’t had to unlock the nut to retune.

Thank you, that's what I like to hear!

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 18, 2019 12:24pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Stramm8 wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:
Stramm8 wrote:

This is great news!

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 20, 2019 10:53pm 
Supah Stah

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 21, 2019 9:25am 
Hack

Very nice! Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 22, 2019 10:03am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I just installed one of these on my OFR. Im not sure if I don't have it installed correctly, its seems to operate fine. But in Drop D position, the D is quite sharp. With the fine tuner backed all the way out the only adjustment is to go sharper. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sat, Mar 23, 2019 3:21pm 
Hack

Could you post a picture of your trem from the side? In drop d it shouldn't be touching the whale tail and the logo should be perpendicular to the face of the guitar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfXQvzBKWPU

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 24, 2019 8:12am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Tone Vise wrote:
Could you post a picture of your trem from the side? In drop d it shouldn't be touching the whale tail and the logo should be perpendicular to the face of the guitar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfXQvzBKWPU

Here is a picture.

Attachments:
79CD2C5A-0B83-4476-95D9-884EE071280E.jpeg
79CD2C5A-0B83-4476-95D9-884EE071280E.jpeg [ 859.07 KiB | Viewed 355 times ]
PostPosted: Sun, Mar 24, 2019 3:08pm 
Wannabe a Supah Stah

This is a nice invention, but to be a pessimist, I have some issues. I like to use pointy Charvels and due to the neck angle and lack of string retainer behind the nut, strings go sharp when tightening down on the nut clamps. So not being able to fine tune the E string is a major issue.

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 24, 2019 7:16pm 
Supah Stah

[quote="Emg77"][quote="Tone Vise"]Could you post a picture of your trem from the side? In drop d it shouldn't be touching the whale tail and the logo should be perpendicular to the face of the guitar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfXQvzBKWPU[/quote]

Here is a picture.[/quote]

Youve got it WAY to close. The head of the bolt should be flush with the end if the tone vise not sticking out like you have it. Take it off and thread it on more.

Look at mine. You can see the copper color of my bridge rubbing off on the tone vise because that's all that is actually touching the Trem.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but any further and it would so be touching the fine tuning screw

Last edited by Metlupass2 on Sun, Mar 24, 2019 7:47pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 24, 2019 7:42pm 
Supah Stah

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 25, 2019 6:46am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

psychodave wrote:
This is a nice invention, but to be a pessimist, I have some issues. I like to use pointy Charvels and due to the neck angle and lack of string retainer behind the nut, strings go sharp when tightening down on the nut clamps. So not being able to fine tune the E string is a major issue.

I have this issue as well, but it is easily compensated for. It takes a couple tries before you find that spot that gets it were you want it.

Metlupass2 wrote:
Emg77 wrote:
Tone Vise wrote:

Here is a picture.

Youve got it WAY to close. The head of the bolt should be flush with the end if the tone vise not sticking out like you have it. Take it off and thread it on more.

Look at mine. You can see the copper color of my bridge rubbing off on the tone vise because that's all that is actually touching the Trem.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but any further and it would so be touching the fine tuning screw

that's how it was for me. but it looks like he has enough screw length to get it in the correct spot.

UPDATE: Mark shot me longer screws for my pitch shifter and it made all the difference in the world. It is pretty specific IMO as far as getting it in just the right position away from the tail, but after you install it a couple times it gets much easier. Played 2 gigs this weekend and had no problems. And, only had 2 guitars! Haven't been able to do that in quite a while.

Thanks Mark! Will be buying a couple more in the near future.

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 25, 2019 7:04am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

psychodave wrote:

thinking about this, you probably wouldn't like the D-Tuna either.

With both devices, you have to tune one of the notes to pitch and lock it. With the D-Tuna, you tune the D to pitch, vice versa with the Pitch Shifter.

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 25, 2019 7:11am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Riggins1966 wrote:
psychodave wrote:

With both devices, you have to tune one of the notes to pitch and lock it. With the D-Tuna, you tune the D to pitch, vice versa with the Pitch Shifter.

I am with Dave on this for similar reasons.

However i do think this is far superior to the dtuna though, i have not tried the pitch shifter.

Splawn: PROMOD KT88, Nitro KT88, Super Sport. Orange: Rockerverb 50mki. Mesa:MKIV, Tremoverb, Nomad 100, Subway Blues, .22 cal w/GEQ. Krank Rev+. Fryette Sig:X. Rivera k100, Peavey JSX, 6505. Randall C-200. Musicman 100RD, Fender: 72 SF Bassman, 70 Twin Reverb, 67 SF Bandmaster. Ampeg: Lee Jackson, AX70, Crate BV120 w/CEC mods, BUILDS: 5F1, 1978X 18 Watt. BUILDS IN PROCESS: AA165, JTM45. And a bunch of modded VJR's. 40 guitars and countless pedals.

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 25, 2019 8:12am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

for the record I have this on my N2 which has an angled headstock. It was about the same getting it locked in at pitch as it was for my Adrian Smith sig. and the tension bar on the Jackson is at the perfect height to not cause it to go sharp when locking it down.

The sharpness comes from the torsion (twist). That's why I wish the Bill Edwards finger tight locking nuts were still in production. They totally eliminated that torsion. The Tone Vise nut looks like a good alternative, but it kinda looks HUGE!.

Any Tone Vise lock nut users on here? Would love to hear a review from a forum member.

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 25, 2019 4:53pm 
Plank Cranker

Riggins1966 wrote:
psychodave wrote:

Yea, but with the d-tuna you can still fine tune at the bridge for E and D. Unfortunately I'm with Dave, especially live where I tend to knock my guitar out of tune a little after each song needing a quick fine tune.

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 26, 2019 8:03am 
Hack

Emg77 wrote:
Tone Vise wrote:

Here is a picture.

Here's a side shot of a installed Pitch Shifter. This is about the minimum gap you want. Just make sure it clears the fine tuner and the leaf spring underneath too. If it's too close just back it out a turn or two and reinstall.

Attachments:
paint net Pitch Shifter Close Up Side 2 mb.jpg
paint net Pitch Shifter Close Up Side 2 mb.jpg [ 233.4 KiB | Viewed 243 times ]

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 26, 2019 12:14pm 
Supah Stah

Tone Vise wrote:
Emg77 wrote:
Tone Vise wrote:

Here is a picture.

Here's a side shot of a installed Pitch Shifter. This is about the minimum gap you want. Just make sure it clears the fine tuner and the leaf spring underneath too. If it's too close just back it out a turn or two and reinstall.

Are mine not installed correctly?

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 26, 2019 1:24pm 
Hack

Quote:
Are mine not installed correctly?

I would say you need to be about 4-5 more turns closer.

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 26, 2019 1:50pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

zuel69 wrote:
Riggins1966 wrote:
psychodave wrote:

Yea, but with the d-tuna you can still fine tune at the bridge for E and D. Unfortunately I'm with Dave, especially live where I tend to knock my guitar out of tune a little after each song needing a quick fine tune.

According to FU-Tone's D-Tuna installation instruction video (which I followed to install one on another guitar,) you back the tuning screw all the way out, then back in just until it touches the lock screw while in D. This means there's no room to tune if it's sharp. If you're leaving yourself room to tune, then according to them you're fudging it a bit. Which, of course, if it works is cool. I can't tune it will in D on mine, though.

Or I could have misunderstood the video, which is totally possible.

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 26, 2019 2:31pm 
Apprentice NOOB

D-tuna works perfect. You tune to D and when you push it back in you use the little set screw to get to E.

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 26, 2019 2:50pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Pat6969 wrote:
D-tuna works perfect. You tune to D and when you push it back in you use the little set screw to get to E.

I like both of them honestly, they both perform as expected. The Tone Vise is just far less parts to be concerned with.

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 26, 2019 3:02pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

The D tuna lets you fine tune in D or E. Of course the set screw has to be perfect in E for that to work, and it does.

I keep my set screw a couple turns in so i have room to tune up or down. Not too much as the tuna gets too tight.

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 26, 2019 7:53pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Tone Vise wrote:
Emg77 wrote:
Tone Vise wrote:

Here is a picture.

Yes, I’ve tried it in all positions and it is still Sharp on the D. I’m not sure what else to do. Looks like I’m going to have to send it back. Unless there is something I’m missing.

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 26, 2019 7:58pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

7 Stringer wrote:
The D tuna lets you fine tune in D or E. Of course the set screw has to be perfect in E for that to work, and it does.

I keep my fine tune screw a couple turns in so i have room to tune up or down. Not too much as the tuna gets too tight and is hard to get in and out from E to D

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 26, 2019 8:33pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Installed on my the Charvel and it works as expected. No complaints. Pretty easy to use. Just gotta be sure that E gets tuned right. It drops perfectly into D for me so far. I had my tech install it as I'm not to mechanically inclined.

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 28, 2019 9:21pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Update: played it at band jam. Tuned E to pitch. Locked nut. Played in tune. Then dropped to D using the pitch shifter and it went to D. I did fine tune it slightly in D, but only once that first time, as I’m very heavy handed. That was the only time. I engaged it back up to E and it was in tune. Then back down to D and again and it was in tune.

Works exactly as I’d hoped.

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 29, 2019 6:51am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
Update: played it at band jam. Tuned E to pitch. Locked nut. Played in tune. Then dropped to D using the pitch shifter and it went to D. I did fine tune it slightly in D, but only once that first time, as I’m very heavy handed. That was the only time. I engaged it back up to E and it was in tune. Then back down to D and again and it was in tune.

I gigged 2 guitars with it installed last weekend, in standard and half step, and they performed perfectly for me as well.

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 29, 2019 7:01am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Junk Yard Dog wrote:

I’m glad it’s working out for you. I’m not sure what’s going on with the one I received but the D is Sharp. I have installed at every threaded position from close to the whale tail to all the way out. I get the same result.

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 29, 2019 9:23am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Emg77 wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:

I’m glad it’s working out for you. I’m not sure what’s going on with the one I received but the D is Sharp. I have installed at every threaded position from close to the whale tail to all the way out. I get the same result.

Is it sharp with no room left to adjust the tuner?

Also, what kind of trem? I had a little trouble the first go around because I was installing on a FR Special and the provided stock FR screw as a bit too short. Mark sent a longer one and now no issues.

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 29, 2019 11:00am 
Hack

Can you adjust your fine tuner up enough to where it's not protruding from beneath the whale tail at all? If part of it is showing then your string will be sharp.

PostPosted: Sat, Mar 30, 2019 11:37pm 
Supah Stah

Ran into an issue with my non recessed Floyd Rose.

Mine has a metal shim under the fine tuner tension plate. Whenever I drop it to D the tension plate pushes into the shim causing the bridge to be pulled back and therefore causes the strings to all go sharp.

Have you ever run into this?

Here is it. I pushed the bar down so it's visible....no its not setup that way!

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 31, 2019 5:31am 
Hack

You don't have it installed correctly, adjust it closer to the whale tail until there's about a 1/16" gap.

Attachments:
side shot.png
side shot.png [ 1.03 MiB | Viewed 67 times ]
top shot.png
top shot.png [ 1.06 MiB | Viewed 67 times ]
side top shot.png
side top shot.png [ 936.66 KiB | Viewed 67 times ]

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 31, 2019 10:33am 
Supah Stah

Thanks I'll give it a try.

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 31, 2019 10:42am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Trying mine this aftrenoon, will report back.

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 31, 2019 11:57am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Metlupass2 wrote:
Ran into an issue with my non recessed Floyd Rose.

Mine has a metal shim under the fine tuner tension plate. Whenever I drop it to D the tension plate pushes into the shim causing the bridge to be pulled back and therefore causes the strings to all go sharp.

Have you ever run into this?

Here is it. I pushed the bar down so it's visible....no its not setup that way!

I thought in order for this to work your bridge cannot be floating so if it can pull back with less string tension, then that tells me it is floating, no?

Mojo 4x12 w/G12H-30s & V30s
Luxxtone #227 Calavera
Chubtone #17

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next