All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 14, 2019 3:43pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Are you human?: 951
Just ordered one as well. Very curious! :rock:

Engl Savage 60 + Two Notes Torpedo Live
Engl e670 Special Edition EL34
EVH 5150 III 50W + Mesa Boogie 2x12 Vertical Slant cab
Fender '74 Princeton Reverb (w/ Eminence Legend 105-8)
Fryette Sig:X head + HB 212V cab (G12K85 +V30)
Marshall Lead 100 MOSFET + 1966A & 1966B cabs
Mesa Boogie Mark V:25 + Mesa 1x12 Thiele EVM cab
Roland Jazz Chorus JC-55 combo & JC-120H head
Axes:
Burny Les Paul (3x), Charvel So-Cal, Epiphone Wildkat, ESP Horizon NT-II, Fender '68 RI Strat, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, G&L ASAT Classic Tribute, Ibanez S540FM & Kramer SM-1 Guitars

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 14, 2019 4:47pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

well, got mine and I'm not too happy with it. This is supposed to be the version for floyd roses.

I don't know if I got the wrong type, but the screw is barely long enough (you only get one), and it's way too finicky to install if it is the right screw. It was literally the difference of 1 or 2 threads for it to either clear the tailpiece, or be stuck under the lip. It took several readjustments to finally find that happy medium where it moved freely. It would either get stuck in the tone vise head, or not have enough travel to lock down the string.

that's not the real problem though. Don't know if you can see from this pic:

the tension springs for the saddle lock screw get pushed against the body when in E mode. It doesn't allow it to fully go into E. This renders it useless.

I realize this is a FR Special, so maybe the tension spring has bigger downward tabs the an OFR.

*edited for stupid heat of the moment hyperbole

Last edited by Riggins1966 on Fri, Mar 15, 2019 8:27am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 14, 2019 8:59pm 
Hack

You have it installed a little too close to the whale tail, just unscrew it and back it out a turn and re-install.

Yes, the Korean made Floyds have a much different spring than the OFR, sometimes the smaller tab sticks out further. I sometimes will adjust that little tab back just a touch with some needle nose pliers.

BTW, I can send you a longer screw if you like.

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 15, 2019 2:20am 
Apprentice NOOB

napalmdeath wrote:
The D-tuna sucks. Glad to see something that seems better built. Had two Wolfgangs with the D-Tuna and they were a huge pain in the ass that needed constant tweaking, re-adjusting, tweaking, adjusting. Flimsy pieces of shit, if you ask me.

I had a pair of Wolfgangs. Same thing. I removed them, then I had to find a shorter string holding screw so it didn't look dumb. The d-tuna is an engineering fail IMO.

The tone vise looks like a plausable alternative. Cool!

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 15, 2019 7:07am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

swamptrashstompboxes wrote:
napalmdeath wrote:
The D-tuna sucks. Glad to see something that seems better built. Had two Wolfgangs with the D-Tuna and they were a huge pain in the ass that needed constant tweaking, re-adjusting, tweaking, adjusting. Flimsy pieces of shit, if you ask me.

I had a pair of Wolfgangs. Same thing. I removed them, then I had to find a shorter string holding screw so it didn't look dumb. The d-tuna is an engineering fail IMO.

The tone vise looks like a plausable alternative. Cool!

I have 7 Wolfgangs, well 5 and 2 EBMM EVH. They all have a D Tuna and they all work perfectly.

I even have some on my Ibanez Edge trems and they work great.

How come you can't get one to work?

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 15, 2019 8:26am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Tone Vise wrote:
You have it installed a little too close to the whale tail, just unscrew it and back it out a turn and re-install.

Yes, the Korean made Floyds have a much different spring than the OFR, sometimes the smaller tab sticks out further. I sometimes will adjust that little tab back just a touch with some needle nose pliers.

BTW, I can send you a longer screw if you like.

Thank you very much for standing behind your product.That means more to me than you may think.

I know I had it installed a little too close, but it's right where it barely clears the tail, and still locks the string down. I will PM you shortly.

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 15, 2019 12:56pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Riggins1966 wrote:
well, got mine and I'm not too happy with it. This is supposed to be the version for floyd roses.

I don't know if I got the wrong type, but the screw is barely long enough (you only get one), and it's way too finicky to install if it is the right screw. It was literally the difference of 1 or 2 threads for it to either clear the tailpiece, or be stuck under the lip. It took several readjustments to finally find that happy medium where it moved freely. It would either get stuck in the tone vise head, or not have enough travel to lock down the string.

the tension springs for the saddle lock screw get pushed against the body when in E mode. It doesn't allow it to fully go into E. This renders it useless.

I realize this is a FR Special, so maybe the tension spring has bigger downward tabs the an OFR.

I just put one on and it works. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe it is not supposed to go between the spring and the bottom of the fine tune screw. I have mine between the spring and the bottom of the whale tale.

EVH Frankenstein Strat (Homemade)
Gibson Solid Guitar
1970's Ludwig 3-Ply "Orphan Bonham" Kit

Good dealings with ridner, Shark Diver, EVHFAN

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 15, 2019 1:07pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I just installed it and it appears to be working as advertised. For me, the biggest drawback is not being able to use the fine tuner in the lock (E) position. And buying one of those clamps isn’t really a solution. I’d like to see a revised version of the tone vise where the protrusion does slide between the fine tuner screw and the spring (like) the d-tuna so adjustments can be made in either mode. Just my two cents.

Attachments:
1D52B1BB-2794-41A5-BCD4-CD57290F2BDC.jpeg
1D52B1BB-2794-41A5-BCD4-CD57290F2BDC.jpeg [ 547.92 KiB | Viewed 148 times ]

Gibson Solid Guitar

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 15, 2019 2:40pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Stramm8 wrote:
Riggins1966 wrote:

I just put one on and it works. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe it is not supposed to go between the spring and the bottom of the fine tune screw. I have mine between the spring and the bottom of the whale tale.

Correct, but the screw wasn't long enough to lock the string, and still protrude far enough past the tail.

Mark is an absolute straight shooter though, and is correcting this by shooting me a longer screw to accommodate that. The tension spring is on me, I will either adjust it with a pair or needle-nose pliers, or drop on a spring with shorter tabs (that I do have).

All in all, I will admit that I've never used these things (of any kind) before and I know I had some faults installing it. I do think it goes much easier on a FR with the cavity route, though. The guitar I'm putting it on is a flush mount trem (Jackson Adrian Smith sig.)

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 15, 2019 2:41pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Stramm8 wrote:
I just installed it and it appears to be working as advertised. For me, the biggest drawback is not being able to use the fine tuner in the lock (E) position. And buying one of those clamps isn’t really a solution. I’d like to see a revised version of the tone vise where the protrusion does slide between the fine tuner screw and the spring (like) the d-tuna so adjustments can be made in either mode. Just my two cents.

looks like your bridge has a bit more clearance from the body than Mine does. That certainly helps a lot.

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 15, 2019 3:34pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Stramm8 wrote:

So when the PS is in the E position, you cannot fine tune the E at all? And if you do need to fine tune the E, you then have to unlock the nut?

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 15, 2019 4:48pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
Stramm8 wrote:

So when the PS is in the E position, you cannot fine tune the E at all? And if you do need to fine tune the E, you then have to unlock the nut?

That is correct. You have to zoom in on this pic to see that the fine tuner screw does not come in contact with the saddle screw while in the E position. If you screwed the fine tuner down low enough to push the screw down to tune it sharper, it would totally throw the D position out. So at that point you might as well just not use it. I bought one before I understood how it worked but figured what the hell?? I mean it works but time will tell if it’s practical.

Attachments:
B33A1540-CA52-4CE7-8BA4-6D9D0FE4735C.jpeg
B33A1540-CA52-4CE7-8BA4-6D9D0FE4735C.jpeg [ 202.34 KiB | Viewed 125 times ]

Gibson Solid Guitar

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 15, 2019 8:15pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Stramm8 wrote:
That is correct. You have to zoom in on this pic to see that the fine tuner screw does not come in contact with the saddle screw while in the E position. If you screwed the fine tuner down low enough to push the screw down to tune it sharper, it would totally throw the D position out. So at that point you might as well just not use it. I bought one before I understood how it worked but figured what the hell?? I mean it works but time will tell if it’s practical.

For me, its only practical if you can fine tune the E or D. I misunderstood how it worked.

So tell me this, can you lock the E to perfect pitch, then drop it to D without needing to fine tune and then engage it back up to E without needing to fine tune, and it will be in perfect pitch?

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 15, 2019 8:50pm 
Supah Stah

Yes mine does.

You can fine tune the drop d position but not the E position.

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 15, 2019 8:55pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
Stramm8 wrote:

For me, its only practical if you can fine tune the E or D. I misunderstood how it worked.

So tell me this, can you lock the E to perfect pitch, then drop it to D without needing to fine tune and then engage it back up to E without needing to fine tune, and it will be in perfect pitch?

Yes, that does work perfectly. You can fine tune it in the D position. I mean it does work well. I’ve been playing with it all day and I haven’t had to unlock the nut to retune.

Gibson Solid Guitar

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 17, 2019 10:25am 
Hack

Quote:
Yes, that does work perfectly. You can fine tune it in the D position. I mean it does work well. I’ve been playing with it all day and I haven’t had to unlock the nut to retune.

Thank you, that's what I like to hear!

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 18, 2019 12:24pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Stramm8 wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:
Stramm8 wrote:

This is great news!

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 20, 2019 10:53pm 
Supah Stah

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 21, 2019 9:25am 
Hack

Very nice! Thank you!