Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Thu, Mar 21, 2019 9:47pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 11, 2019 7:06pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Are you human?: 951
So I've had my Ibby UV for a long time now and I've never really got it to sound/feel right. I love the look of the guitar and I don't have any intentions to part with it. Basically the guitar just doesn't resonate like any of my other guitars. I can't really explain it but when I play a chord I don't really "feel" it throughout the whole guitar. It has an Edge pro trem with a tremolno but my RG3120 rings out and sounds superior with its Lo-Pro.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? It's almost like the guitar is dead. I've had it setup by a few good people and have had it's action raised thinking that might help but it still isn't quite there. Maybe it's the Tremolno? :confused:

Cabs: Bogner 4x12 - Mesa 2x12 - Peavey 4x12 (K85s)

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 11, 2019 7:10pm 
Supah Stah

What pickups?

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 11, 2019 7:11pm 
Rock God

kylendm wrote:
So I've had my Ibby UV for a long time now and I've never really got it to sound/feel right. I love the look of the guitar and I don't have any intentions to part with it. Basically the guitar just doesn't resonate like any of my other guitars. I can't really explain it but when I play a chord I don't really "feel" it throughout the whole guitar. It has an Edge pro trem with a tremolno but my RG3120 rings out and sounds superior with its Lo-Pro.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? It's almost like the guitar is dead. I've had it setup by a few good people and have had it's action raised thinking that might help but it still isn't quite there. Maybe it's the Tremolno? :confused:

Unfortunately, there are some guitars that are just dead turds. May as well put some strings on a 2x4.

gbsmusic,Ignoramus,RipleyRipley,WizardOzz,Spaceboy,Tonmazz,Sjk,warhead78,
fuzzyguitars,bwgintegra,Bluplirstand,londaxe,* velcro-fly *Parap14 and at least 25 more

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 11, 2019 7:22pm 
Rock God

glip22 wrote:
kylendm wrote:

Unfortunately, there are some guitars that are just dead turds. May as well put some strings on a 2x4.

:lol: :LOL:
Truth. Sometimes you can make some improvements that make a difference..I had an 87 Jackson bolt on that was dead, no sustain but played beautifully, nice and easy. Never a fan of the Jackson pickups so out they went, Duncan Custom and a 59 instead. Better, but still kinda weak sounding...bought an L shaped brass block for the OFR and that made the biggest difference. Much better all around, sustain and tone. Still not a good one but now it at least competed with my other bolt on Charvels.

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 11, 2019 7:25pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

kylendm wrote:

I kind of feel like that with a MIJ Jackson dnky baritone I got. I like the 27 scale and that its 6 strings but like how you described it didn't resonate like my other guitars. Decided to get it rewired (it had a emg afterburner boost knob thing in it) and thru BK warpigs in it... sadly it didn't help. Part of me feels like like sanding the paint off it and going natural with oil to see if it will resonate better like how Gibson faded guitars do. :confused:

First Act - Ola signature 25 string with Evertune
Monoprice- Indio Cali Classic Electric Guitar with Gig Bag Sunburst
Fortin modded Gorilla "Masterbuilt" GG-10 (Hand wired).

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 11, 2019 7:34pm 
Immortal Rock God

I can't make decisions for anyone but myself, but my usual take on things is - if it doesn't inspire me, I shed it...

:dunno:

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 11, 2019 8:31pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Yeah it's definitely not the pickups. I just wonder if swapping the trem system kinda skewed the mojo a bit. I got it like this so it might be time to try and switch it back.

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 11, 2019 9:12pm 
Immortal Rock God

Ventura wrote:
I can't make decisions for anyone but myself, but my usual take on things is - if it doesn't inspire me, I shed it...

:dunno:

+1

Guitars:
2012 Fender Select
1988 Charvel 475XL Special
2018 Gibson Les Paul Traditional (Honey Burst)
2019 Gibson Les Paul Standard (Mint Green)
1999 Wolfgang Standard (Emerald Green)

Effects:
ADA 2FX
Lexicon PCM 81
TC Electronic 2240
Damage Control Timeline
Dunlop 535Q

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 11, 2019 11:29pm 
Rock God Trainee

kylendm wrote:

sometimes some guitars are just duds. I have had a couple guitars like that, basically dead. quiet when played unplugged, no sustain, etc., just a dud.

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 12, 2019 12:34am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Ill play devils advocate. My old ass charvel 3dr is one of my thinnest sounding guitars, and absolutely hates most high output pups. But it has a great sustain, and plays like million bucks; just comfortable and fast. Ive learned iver the years what pups i can get by with, and work around it being a lean sounding guitar, which also make it unique and my favorite guitar.

Les Paul and some Jacksons.
A box full of boost pedals

great transactions w: neeklaus, type_o_neg, RockStarNick, sswanson, ///MK, DoomBuggi, Retrojet, Bwill81, AmpliFIRE, Mizati20, Bubbastain, colimofsmoke, crankyrayhanky, UberschallEL34 RKnight, the rossness, battery198 alowerdeep, Tronald Dump.

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 12, 2019 1:29am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I have 2 ibanez that feel great but I just have no desire to play them and i'm not sure why. They have the jagged shark inlays which I love but I never pick them up...maybe I just have to many guitars :doh: :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 12, 2019 6:04am 
Apprentice NOOB

Fu tone brass block could help a bit.

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 12, 2019 6:07am 
Apprentice NOOB

Also I find that tremolno's can kill the tone a bit. Block it with a dense hard wood. I use oak that you can get from home depot. $3 for a foot is all you would need.

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 12, 2019 6:57am 
Supah Stah

This one is a fairly cheap way of trying to get it to resonate more. It probably wonæt work wonders, but might help a little. I have it in a superstrat with a Hipshot trem. It makes a difference. I've tightened the springs pretty good as well.

http://www.fu-tone.com/catalog/index.ph ... page=index

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 12, 2019 7:05am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

does it fell this way when you play it unplugged?

If so, it still could be the tremel-no. But it could also just be shit wood.

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 14, 2019 3:11pm 
Supah Stah

IMO Ibanez trems suck ass. I put a Schaller Floyd on the last Ibanez I own. Vast improvement.

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 14, 2019 3:19pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

The UV is a basswood body, where as your 3120 is mahogany (I believe). I swapped the pickups on my UV to an Evo and a PAF Pro and it made a world of difference. The stock pickups are shit...I'm not sure what Steve was thinking or hearing back in the day. I have only played the old RG 7 strings from 2003 era and while I liked the neck joint better on those, I didn't feel the tone was any better or that they resonated better.

I have a tremelno on my RG2020 and I don't feel like it changes the tone. Just curious, why do you have one on your 7, are you switching between drop A and B tuning?

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 14, 2019 3:28pm 
Journeyman NOOB

There is a video on YT called Luthiers Tricks or something like that.

He loosens the neck bolts a little and and smacks the headstock with a rubber mallet in the direction of the bridge to seat the neck a little deeper in the pocket. Worth a try?

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 14, 2019 4:00pm 
Hack

Make sure the little things are right, neck bolted on tight and straight is a big one. Lots of guitars out there with cardboard shims in the neck pockets and loose neck screws.

Like others said, it might just be a dead guitar or maybe it’s just not lively in the way you want.

I have an old Schecter from the mid-2000’s that always sounded dull and dead like it had old strings on, even with new strings and no matter what pickups. Eventually I decided to sand off the finish and oil it just for fun, and as soon as I got that thick (it was thick) finish off there, it did sound a lot more open, and resonates a lot now. It’s actually one of my favorite sounding guitars now.

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 14, 2019 7:01pm 
Apprentice NOOB

I have a few thoughts.

First, which pickups are in there now? I can't remember.

Second I would take the neck off and see what the pocket looks like. One time I had a dead sounding guitar, I put a thin piece of stainless steel (maybe a sixteenth of an inch) and drilled through and inserted it in the pocket and it worked wonders. Cardboard shims are trash.

Sometimes dead guitars are dead guitars. Period.

I really think that you should get rid of the tremol-no unless you need it. I have a bunch of guitars that I have trems blocked on, i like a piece of oak over a tremol-no and it's cheap (I realize that I already mentioned this)

The block has a big impact on tone, especially when you get the new block and block the tremolo with a chunk of oak.

I have five ibanez prestiges currently and five MIJ jacksons, and while the MIJ jacksons lack a bit with the licensed floyd, the 'good' edges in my ibbys IMO are perfectly fine.

I have not tried the loosen and tap with a hammer technique but I would be leery on that guitar. I can't remember how the locking nut is mounted on it, but if it is mounted through the back of the neck, I would not advise it.

Another thing to check is how well the nut is mounted. You may want to clean it up or even replace it. It can make a difference.

If I think of any other tricks I will post back. These are all things I have done on mij jacksons and ibanez full floating guitars, experience not random BS.

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 15, 2019 6:54am 
Rock God

Are your UV pickups mounted to the pickguard? Or the body? That can make a huge difference...especially with 7strings. Is your 3120 mahogay? I think your UV is made with basswood. That can make a difference too.

I have several basswood Ibz 7 strings with the LoPro7 and the Edge Pro7 and I don't notice any difference in resonance. I have a few with pickguards, but I still mount the pups to the body.

"She wouldn't make love, but she could make good sandwich!" - Ian Anderson

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 15, 2019 6:50pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Some time guitars with super low action are at the expense of tone and resonance. I dont know the science behind it be Suhr mentioned that too low of action can affect the over all tone of the guitar

Mojo 4x12 w/G12H-30s & V30s
Charvel Pro Mod Neon Pink
Charvel Pro Mod Rocket Red
USACG Superstrat - Roasted Maple Neck/Roasted Alder/1984 Original Floyd Rose

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 15, 2019 7:45pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Yeah, he already raised the action to see if it helped, and unfortunately it didn't, Scott.

As many here have said, it could just be a dead guitar due to the particular pieces of wood used - not the types, but the actual pieces of wood. All woods can deliver good and bad pieces resonance and tone-wise.

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 15, 2019 10:23pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I ended up taking the whole guitar apart. I tightened the neck and nut. I rewired the whole thing. Once I string it up i'll report back.

PostPosted: Sat, Mar 16, 2019 7:36am 
Journeyman NOOB

FWIW, my first 'good' guitar was my MIM Strat i got back in '95, it always sounded dead to me, even after upgrading the electronics. It didn't get played for years when I got other guitars, but a couple years ago I set it up and started playing it again, only to be bummed by the dull sound coming from it. I could see that the finish on it was petty thick, dents would show how thick the poly coat was. It's a very sentimental guitar so I was on the fence about re-finishing it but I did it anyway. Stripped the finish off and immediately, knocking on the body gave an entirely different sound. I'm still between clear coats, but I'm thinking it's going to sound MASSIVELY different once it's back together just based off what it sounds like when I tap the body.

The poly was seriously 3.5mm thick.

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 17, 2019 5:46am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Yup, it's rigid.

Like putting the damned thing in a metal straightjacket.

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 17, 2019 9:29am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

RevDrucifer wrote:
FWIW, my first 'good' guitar was my MIM Strat i got back in '95, it always sounded dead to me, even after upgrading the electronics. It didn't get played for years when I got other guitars, but a couple years ago I set it up and started playing it again, only to be bummed by the dull sound coming from it. I could see that the finish on it was petty thick, dents would show how thick the poly coat was. It's a very sentimental guitar so I was on the fence about re-finishing it but I did it anyway. Stripped the finish off and immediately, knocking on the body gave an entirely different sound. I'm still between clear coats, but I'm thinking it's going to sound MASSIVELY different once it's back together just based off what it sounds like when I tap the body.

The poly was seriously 3.5mm thick.

Curious if you perceive a notable difference when plugged in.

I have a Carvin with a SUPER thick poly finish but I feel the whole body vibrate when I play. Very resonant guitar and sounds great. I also have a Mayo with no poly what so ever and it vibrates really well also when playing. Interestingly the Carvin is a touch louder when unplugged; not that really does't mean much to me because well....I play them plugged in. But I can see how an electric that doesn't vibrate/resonate might not sound good.

I played an Anderson a while back that was the loudest I've ever heard from an electric when played unplugged. I don't know that I noticed if that characteristic had any noticeable affect when plugged in because I didn't compare it to anything else. I would have liked to try it at home and had a chance to play it through my chain and compare against my guitars.

Good transactions with: BrokenRomeo, jco5055, harddriver, Hey_bert_whtcha_doin_bert, Tuckerbomb, krueger, ibzprestige, journeyman73, JerEvil, apophis(x2), DragonCrestPC, hammered(x3), Hardvalve, lowmantotempole, Mailman1971(x2), FLYINRYAN11, bwgintegra

"Give me liberty, or give me Death" Patrick Henry

Last edited by MetalHeadMike on Mon, Mar 18, 2019 7:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 18, 2019 7:10pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Finally got everything back together. I set it all back up, rewired the whole thing with new wire, tightened everything nicely and I took the tone knob out of the equation just because i felt it killed some high end that the BKP Warpig needs. Acoustically the guitar resonates a lot better and the tone plugged in sounds perfect now. I think I solved most of my problem. Acoustically it's still not quite as loud and nice as my 3120/2127FX but I think that might be because of the paint like one other member was mentioning. I'm going to give it more time but I'm pretty satisfied with how it all turned out.

I tune the low B to Drop A and it's crazy how hitting the string as soft as I do sends that specific string out of tune as much as it does. I have to almost tune it flat just so the initial hit is in tune. It's got a 62 on there now but I might have to upsize just a bit.

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 19, 2019 5:36am 
Apprentice NOOB

Glad to hear that it worked out.