Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Tue, Apr 23, 2019 7:55am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: DSL20HR
PostPosted: Fri, Apr 12, 2019 6:34am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Are you human?: 951
Anyone Own one? Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on this mini head?

Post subject: Re: DSL20HR
PostPosted: Fri, Apr 12, 2019 12:13pm 
Hack

Subbed. I'm really curious about these as well.

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 17, 2019 9:42am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

up

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 17, 2019 3:45pm 
Supah Stah

I have the 100HR. From what I have read across the web's, folks seem to really like the 20's but would prefer that they had the dual master volumes like the 40 watt and 100 watt versions have. The 40 doesn't come in a head though. That seems to be the only complaint.

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 18, 2019 7:24am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

They are just OK imo. I have not owned one personally but I have demo'd a few. I think that the 40 watters a better sounding. Especially if you put some new tubes in them.

EDIT I have a lot of time on my buddy's 40 and he isn't as much of a ampiphile like most of us are, but I threw some JJ's in there with a tung sol V1 and it REALLY woke up.

Splawn: PROMOD KT88, Nitro KT88. Orange: Rockerverb 50mki, Dual Terror. Mesa:MKIV, Tremoverb, Nomad 100, Subway Blues, .22 cal w/GEQ. Krank Rev+. Fryette Sig:X. Rivera k100, Peavey JSX, 6505. Randall C-200. Musicman 100RD, Fender 72 SF Bassman, 70 Twin Reverb, 67 SG Bandmaster. Carvin V16, Ampeg: Lee Jackson, AX70, Crate BV120 w/CEC mods, BUILDS: 5F1, 1978X 18 Watt. BUILDS IN PROCESS: AA165, JTM45. And a bunch of modded VJR's. 40 guitars and countless pedals.

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 18, 2019 7:31am 
Supah Stah

swamptrashstompboxes wrote:
EDIT I have a lot of time on my buddy's 40 and he isn't as much of a ampiphile like most of us are, but I threw some JJ's in there with a tung sol V1 and it REALLY woke up.

Interesting. I am going to log some hours on the DSL100HR this weekend and might move some pre's around in there. I have a JJ in the PI right now because I bent one of the pins on the stock tube and a small crack appeared at the base. Afraid to put it back in now.

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 18, 2019 7:35am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Try a sovtek 12AX7LPS in PI that is my go to V1 tube in damn near everything. the first spot in Marshall voiced amps love the tung sol in V1.

Splawn: PROMOD KT88, Nitro KT88. Orange: Rockerverb 50mki, Dual Terror. Mesa:MKIV, Tremoverb, Nomad 100, Subway Blues, .22 cal w/GEQ. Krank Rev+. Fryette Sig:X. Rivera k100, Peavey JSX, 6505. Randall C-200. Musicman 100RD, Fender 72 SF Bassman, 70 Twin Reverb, 67 SG Bandmaster. Carvin V16, Ampeg: Lee Jackson, AX70, Crate BV120 w/CEC mods, BUILDS: 5F1, 1978X 18 Watt. BUILDS IN PROCESS: AA165, JTM45. And a bunch of modded VJR's. 40 guitars and countless pedals.

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 18, 2019 7:43am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

My goal is to run a lunchbox style or mini head style into my Marshall 1960BHW...for practice at home.

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 18, 2019 7:56am 
Supah Stah

Try a sovtek 12AX7LPS in PI that is my go to V1 tube in damn near everything. the first spot in Marshall voiced amps love the tung sol in V1.

I need to buy a few of those. Just keep putting it off for some reason.

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 18, 2019 8:00am 
Supah Stah

Detroit1973 wrote:
My goal is to run a lunchbox style or mini head style into my Marshall 1960BHW...for practice at home.

That should sound pretty sweet! Great cab so most heads should go along just fine with it.

FYI: the first run of the new series DSL's had an issue with the effects loop cutting out on occasion. I just had the DSP board replaced on mine under warranty. The fixed this in the production run early on. If you are buying new, no worries.

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 18, 2019 8:30am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

fek wrote:
Detroit1973 wrote:

That should sound pretty sweet! Great cab so most heads should go along just fine with it.

FYI: the first run of the new series DSL's had an issue with the effects loop cutting out on occasion. I just had the DSP board replaced on mine under warranty. The fixed this in the production run early on. If you are buying new, no worries.

I know it probably seems excessive to run it through a 4X12 for home practice....but i was trying to stay within a budget since i am going out of town the 1st of May & will be buying the Lunchbox or Minihead when i return.

I was looking for Chunky and warm. The Amps i looked at were the PRSMT15, The Engl Ironball, The DSL20HR. The 20HR seemed to be the best for what i can afford to spend.

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 18, 2019 8:57am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

fek wrote:

I need to buy a few of those. Just keep putting it off for some reason.

I keep putting off KT88's. They are expensive. Lol.

Those LPS are great tubes though. I generally keep at least least a dozen around. I am pretty much JJ for everything else

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 18, 2019 9:15am 
Supah Stah

Detroit1973 wrote:
fek wrote:
Detroit1973 wrote:

I know it probably seems excessive to run it through a 4X12 for home practice....but i was trying to stay within a budget since i am going out of town the 1st of May & will be buying the Lunchbox or Minihead when i return.

I was looking for Chunky and warm. The Amps i looked at were the PRSMT15, The Engl Ironball, The DSL20HR. The 20HR seemed to be the best for what i can afford to spend.

IMHO - running a small head into a 4X12 is perfect. Makes it bigger in the room even though you don't have the extra wattage pushing it.

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 18, 2019 9:46am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I really liked the OR15 I had for a few days. I would look into one of those too.

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 18, 2019 11:31am 
Supah Stah

I had one. Sounded like a can of bees, super compressed. Sent it back the next day.

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 18, 2019 11:45am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

BrokenFusion wrote:
I had one. Sounded like a can of bees, super compressed. Sent it back the next day.

Are you talking about the Marshall or The Orange Mentioned above your post?

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 18, 2019 1:32pm 
Supah Stah

Detroit1973 wrote:
BrokenFusion wrote:

Are you talking about the Marshall or The Orange Mentioned above your post?

The Marshall

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 18, 2019 1:44pm 
Apprentice NOOB

I’d look at a JMP 2204, the short chassis head, and an SD1 .

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 18, 2019 7:58pm 
Rock God

PAULYC2 wrote:
I’d look at a JMP 2204, the short chassis head, and an SD1 .

The gold standard.
:rock:

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 18, 2019 8:16pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

there is a dude named Johnny eggs or something that mods a dsl 15 (I believe it's a 15) that sounds pretty good when he's done. And the mods aren't that difficult. He's on the YT.

If you're into modding, you could always get a jet city 22 and put the psycodave mod on it...which I think is a variant of the Soldano circuit... sounds really nice.

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 19, 2019 7:13am 
Hack

Alerted to this thread by an online acquaintance that knows I've been kicking around a DSL20 for the past year or so. Thought I'd throw my worthless opinion in.
BrokenFusion wrote:

Right out of the box, yes, this is absolutely true. They give them a TERRIBLE tube compliment for the circuit at the factory. After some experimenting I'd say I've managed to get some OK tones out of one. Mines the combo I stuck a greenback into so I can pack it over to my bass playin' buddy's house for jams, but the recordings I have are all through a Mesa widebody 1x12 with a C90.

Downtuned with bass (Nazgul/Sentient pickups):
https://app.box.com/s/6j095xcjqkik4iwv0x3y7vps71w1vhi1

https://app.box.com/s/ph4j9z8fwkpkelfxr0yncve536301dni

And something I'm currently working on in standard E, no bass yet (GFS Redactive Gold Pickups):
https://app.box.com/s/exmjqodilp8kh9sctf0d6i40wourhm3n

That last one gives you a great idea of how crunchy and "real" the damn little thing can sound. The secret was sticking a much, MUCH lower gain tube in V1. I ended up with a JJ 5751 there, and two Sovtek 12AX7WA tubes in V2 and V3. The stock tubes give you some really nasally, nasty and super compressed can-o-bees tones unless you keep the gain on both channels way below noon. After the change over I can run the green channel around noon and still be fairly clean with a little crunch if I really dig in. Cranked up it'd make a great rock tone and can be boosted into 80s metal territory. Red sounds tremendous up to noon, then starts to saturate into lead territory depending on your pickups. That last clip is gain around 1 o'clock on the red channel with no boost, but active pickups. No post EQ on it either.

Throught a 4x12 it might surprise you. Is it a 100 Watt DSL? No. A 100 Watt cranked up can get the neighbors to call the cops on you. The 20 can get them annoyed. Especially through a 4x12. But the really surprising thing is how good it sounds turned down. It's still a Marshall though, and will sound better cranked up.

If you're just looking for a practice amp for good tones at bedroom/tv volumes? It's a good fit. However, it's also able to handle itself well in a recording situation, or in a band setting if you get to mic it up. I'm kinda in love with the stupid little thing, but YMMV. Hope the clips at least give you something to chew on.

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 19, 2019 7:36am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

nightflameauto wrote:
Alerted to this thread by an online acquaintance that knows I've been kicking around a DSL20 for the past year or so. Thought I'd throw my worthless opinion in.
BrokenFusion wrote:

Right out of the box, yes, this is absolutely true. They give them a TERRIBLE tube compliment for the circuit at the factory. After some experimenting I'd say I've managed to get some OK tones out of one. Mines the combo I stuck a greenback into so I can pack it over to my bass playin' buddy's house for jams, but the recordings I have are all through a Mesa widebody 1x12 with a C90.

And something I'm currently working on in standard E, no bass yet (GFS Redactive Gold Pickups):

That last one gives you a great idea of how crunchy and "real" the damn little thing can sound. The secret was sticking a much, MUCH lower gain tube in V1. I ended up with a JJ 5751 there, and two Sovtek 12AX7WA tubes in V2 and V3. The stock tubes give you some really nasally, nasty and super compressed can-o-bees tones unless you keep the gain on both channels way below noon. After the change over I can run the green channel around noon and still be fairly clean with a little crunch if I really dig in. Cranked up it'd make a great rock tone and can be boosted into 80s metal territory. Red sounds tremendous up to noon, then starts to saturate into lead territory depending on your pickups. That last clip is gain around 1 o'clock on the red channel with no boost, but active pickups. No post EQ on it either.

Throught a 4x12 it might surprise you. Is it a 100 Watt DSL? No. A 100 Watt cranked up can get the neighbors to call the cops on you. The 20 can get them annoyed. Especially through a 4x12. But the really surprising thing is how good it sounds turned down. It's still a Marshall though, and will sound better cranked up.

If you're just looking for a practice amp for good tones at bedroom/tv volumes? It's a good fit. However, it's also able to handle itself well in a recording situation, or in a band setting if you get to mic it up. I'm kinda in love with the stupid little thing, but YMMV. Hope the clips at least give you something to chew on.

Believe me, i'd love to just buy a 50watt 5153 & call it a day but would that be too much through a 4X12 Cab for Practice?

I've also considered the 5153 LBX as well.

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 19, 2019 12:25pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

nightflameauto wrote:
BrokenFusion wrote:

I wonder if it would be possible to put KT77's in it?

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 19, 2019 12:56pm 
Hack

Detroit1973 wrote:
I wonder if it would be possible to put KT77's in it?

It's been on my list to try, but I've been pretty happy with the EL34s it already has. If they ever head south I'll probably give it a shot.

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 19, 2019 1:02pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

nightflameauto wrote:
BrokenFusion wrote:

Listening to the E standard clip now and really digging it. I'll save the other two for when the party kicks in tonight.

:cheers2:

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 19, 2019 1:35pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Tronald Dump wrote:
nightflameauto wrote:
BrokenFusion wrote:

Listening to the E standard clip now and really digging it. I'll save the other two for when the party kicks in tonight.

:cheers2:

I love the E Standard Clip...especially since i only tune a whole step lower to D, it gives me an idea of what to expect.

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 20, 2019 4:14am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

nightflameauto wrote:

Tossing back some suds and rockin' out to your clips! Beastly, especially for 20 watts into a 1x12 cab. I take it the internal speaker is bypassed when you plug in an extension cab?

:40 to the end of clip 2 is really pounding some ass, noice!

:cheers:

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 22, 2019 8:23am 
Hack

Tronald Dump wrote:
I take it the internal speaker is bypassed when you plug in an extension cab?

Yeah, I just pull the plug on the internal speaker and use the 8 Ohm out to the external speaker.