Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Sun, Oct 13, 2019 6:43pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 17, 2019 10:55am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Are you human?: 951
I'm sure Orange is not the first thing that comes to mind when discussing detuned hyper agressive metal, but I'm curious as to knowing which Orange amp has heaps of high gain while retaining bottom end clarity for playing Djent, Melodeath and whatnot?

Trying to find a different flavor outside of the same old Mesa, Diezel, Bogner, Peavey, etc.

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 17, 2019 11:37am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 17, 2019 11:39am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Orange Amps just aren't made for djent tones. I know someone will come along and say "Ohhh well I have an orange and it djents" and I am sure it does...but I just think there will be another amp out that that does it better, for less expensive and you don't need a pedal. It's never going to get super tight. With that said the solid state Orange Crush 120, which can be had for like $300 used..is a very heavy sounding amp.

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 17, 2019 12:33pm 
Wannabe a Supah Stah

sutepaj wrote:
Orange Amps just aren't made for djent tones. I know someone will come along and say "Ohhh well I have an orange and it djents" and I am sure it does...but I just think there will be another amp out that that does it better, for less expensive and you don't need a pedal. It's never going to get super tight. With that said the solid state Orange Crush 120, which can be had for like $300 used..is a very heavy sounding amp.

i was going to say the crush 120. i tried one that a friend owns, with a boost and it was brutal and tight, but with that broad mids that i associate with orange...
i use two randall rm100's, stereo, boosted through a couple different modules, and its huge, and gets vicious tight if i want it.

great transactions w: neeklaus, type_o_neg, RockStarNick, sswanson, ///MK, DoomBuggi, Retrojet, Bwill81, AmpliFIRE, Mizati20, Bubbastain, colimofsmoke, crankyrayhanky, UberschallEL34 RKnight, the rossness, battery198 alowerdeep, Tronald Dump. SomedudeinTX.

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 17, 2019 12:58pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

this sounds aggressive enough to me, OR100

Wizard MTL
Cabs: Orange 4x12 & Diezel 4x12
Gibson CS Les Pauls
Knaggs Singlecuts
Fender Custom Shop Teles
James Tylers

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 17, 2019 1:09pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I think the Rockerverb series can get pretty heavy. Throw the boost of your choice in front (like you would with almost any other amp), and it becomes an instant djent machine if you're into that sort of thing. They always have this kinda dense dirty grind to them, though. That is what I feel the Orange voicing is. They won't get as tight as, say, and ENGL Savage or something of the sort, or as dry as, say, a VHT, but if you want the Orange voicing, I'm sure that's not what you're expecting.

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 17, 2019 1:36pm 
Apprentice NOOB

UberschallEL34 wrote:

That things got serious brootz. :D

What are you fronting it with?

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 17, 2019 1:44pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Was a buddy of mine, I think was the Mesa Flux

Wizard MTL
Cabs: Orange 4x12 & Diezel 4x12
Gibson CS Les Pauls
Knaggs Singlecuts
Fender Custom Shop Teles
James Tylers

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 17, 2019 2:27pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

UberschallEL34 wrote:

That sounds very agressive and sounds awesome, but it's not a "modern djent tone" like OP is talking about. I mean I would rather use that Orange tone you posted than a djent tone..but they want that razor sharp tight tone.

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 17, 2019 2:29pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

mchn13 wrote:
sutepaj wrote:

i was going to say the crush 120. i tried one that a friend owns, with a boost and it was brutal and tight, but with that broad mids that i associate with orange...
i use two randall rm100's, stereo, boosted through a couple different modules, and its huge, and gets vicious tight if i want it.

Yeah, the Crush 120 for the price is an amazing sounding heavy amp. Sleeper amps for sure!!

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 17, 2019 4:41pm 
Rock God

sutepaj wrote:

Have to agree. Orange are good amps and some of the best cleans out of any high gain amp with the Rockerverb but they are just too organic imo.

"It is better to ask for forgiveness than permission"

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 17, 2019 4:57pm 
Plank Cranker

The newer Orange amps , by nature , aren’t designed to be super tight high gain amps. They definitely have plenty of gain , but they need a boost to tighten them up. That being said , a Rockerverb with the gain at noon is a BEAUTIFUL sounding amplifier , in my opinion

Orange
Kemper

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 17, 2019 5:21pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Once they throw the Tube Screamer on, it doesn't sound like it's lacking clarity. Of course it's got that Orange dense, dirty voicing to the mids, but then again, isn't the OP looking for "something different"?