Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Wed, Aug 21, 2019 4:13pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 28, 2019 1:31pm 
Rock God

i think it sounds great! i personally much prefer professional clips as opposed to room clips. room mics can catch the character of an amp, but for me close mic recording gives a much closer detail of the tone. thanks for the vid!

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 28, 2019 2:04pm 
Rock God

Are you human?: 951
romanianreaper wrote:
aftec wrote:
Listening and make decision on a 4k amp based on iphone, ipad, laptop speaker is utterly stupid. It's only good for listening that tripplet feel hihat and mumbling after sharpieing up your face.
Seriously people who are spending a fortune on cables, speakers, amps, pickups, etc. should man up, and start listening sheet on some proper sheet.

Yeah and see this is one of the downsides to online sales. I know people say they can just send back gear if they don't like it but there is nothing better than going into a store and seeing the amp or guitar you want, and running it thru it's paces.

In my opinion, most of the online clips actually make me want to buy something more because I know it is going to sound better in the room when I have it.

I think with this forum, we all have a built in advantage with the reviews we'll get from the first few guys who buy any new amp. I know I'll wait to hear from someone who's ears I trust, as there are many here who like similar tone settings to mine. I know the BE 50 is killer because of the guys who've bought one, I trust their ears.
One thing Reza did with some of his demos is turn the EQ knobs..not everyone digs his vids but I liked that part of them.

Lexicon PCM 80
Roland SDE 3000
79 1960A w/65s
74 1960A w/GBs
Mesa Standard V30 cab
Peavey Butcher Cab w/K85s
2009 Charvel USA Candy Plum SoCal
2008 Charvel USA Candy Tangerine SoCal
1985 Ibanez Destroyer

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 28, 2019 2:37pm 
Supah Stah

Racerxrated wrote:
I think with this forum, we all have a built in advantage with the reviews we'll get from the first few guys who buy any new amp. I know I'll wait to hear from someone who's ears I trust, as there are many here who like similar tone settings to mine. I know the BE 50 is killer because of the guys who've bought one, I trust their ears.
One thing Reza did with some of his demos is turn the EQ knobs..not everyone digs his vids but I liked that part of them.

Oh yeah brother, good point and you are absolutely right. Some of us have been on this forum, and HC prior, that someone can describe a tone or a feel and I know exactly what they are talking about. Someone can literally say "yeah the amp has the pork chop, but the gravy is missing and could've used a side" and that will mean it has ample gain on tap but you might need a pedal and not enough options.

There is so much out there now and so many builders, that I've had to drill down to a particular tone or type of amp/pedal and stick with it. I love so many types of tones (Marshall, Mesa, Diezel, Cameron, Friedman, etc., etc.) that I was flipping amps like a wild chimp and just chasing everything. I know that my primary favorite tone is the modded Marshall. So that allows me to limit myself a bit. It does help that I have a Fractal as well but I end up using the same damn tones anyway. LOL!

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 28, 2019 5:49pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

My favorite in room BE100 clip, which I thing better resembles the actual tone

Mojo 4x12 w/G12H-30s & V30s
1988 Les Paul 1959 Reissue
Chubtone #17
Charvel Satchel

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 28, 2019 8:09pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Yea I couldn't agree more. This is the sound that sold me. I would think the deluxe gets you this and more. I'm constantly chasing this tone with my BE!

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 28, 2019 8:13pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Now that the Deluxe is out, I will be the broke ass I am snag a BE-100 when everyone is selling theirs for the Deluxe. Haha.

... Still out of budget. Haha :)

Splawn: PROMOD KT88, Nitro KT88, Super Sport 6V6. Orange Rockerverb 50mki. Fryette Sig:X. Rivera K100, K-TRE. Mesa:, mkIV, Tremoverb, Nomad 100, Subway Blues, .22 cal w/GEQ Peavey JSX Musicman 100RD.Fender: 72 SF Bassman, 70 Twin Reverb, 67 SF Bandmaster. Ampeg: Lee Jackson, AX70, Crate BV120 w/CEC mods.
BUILDS: 5F1, 1978X 18 Watt.
BUILDS IN PROCESS: AA165, JTM45.
And a bunch of modded EPI VJR's.

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 28, 2019 10:47pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Getting a used one is like paying half price for 1st gen. Maybe not exactly 50% less but its damn close! Considering the workhorse your getting it's kind of hard to resist!

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 28, 2019 11:37pm 
Supah Stah

Racerxrated wrote:
MetalHeadMike wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:
Dave's amps are what they are: you dig 'em or you don't. You can't base it off of a clip.

This pretty much!

I think its hilarious when people judge an amp, or any gear, from clips :hys: They are fun to listen to and useful to a degree in painting a broad picture of a particular piece of gear, but to give your impressions of an amp based on a clip.... :hys:

I don't think anyone is judging the amp....just the demo. We all know the amp is killer, based on the reviews of the BE 50. Just change the EQ a bit during the demo, to show the different tones that it can produce.
That's all.
:dunno:

Fair enough. Got on my soapbox there I guess.

Good transactions with: BrokenRomeo, jco5055, harddriver, Hey_bert_whtcha_doin_bert, Tuckerbomb, krueger, ibzprestige, journeyman73, JerEvil, apophis(x2), DragonCrestPC, hammered(x3), Hardvalve, lowmantotempole, Mailman1971(x2), FLYINRYAN11, bwgintegra

"Give me liberty, or give me Death" Patrick Henry

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 29, 2019 6:44am 
Journeyman NOOB

psychodave wrote:
I listened to the official 100 deluxe video earlier today and it sounded cool for rock and roll, but it’s missing that pissed off aggression I’ve grown to love in Marshall’s driven with a pedal and modded Marshall’s. Of course this is just from listening to the official video and not playing one in person. Before some thinks I’m just a Friedman hater, I own a BE pedal and think it’s great. I long for the day that Friedman puts out an original amp not based on the same Jose design.

This.

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 29, 2019 8:39am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

swamptrashstompboxes wrote:
Now that the Deluxe is out, I will be the broke ass I am snag a BE-100 when everyone is selling theirs for the Deluxe. Haha.

I've got two in forums for sale now: 2017 BE100 and 2018 BE50 DLX. I am NOT making room for the BE100 DLX; rather, I'm investing in some career certifications and using the cash that way.

Prices are very competitive and amps in great shape.

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 29, 2019 8:44am 
Rock God

MetalHeadMike wrote:
Racerxrated wrote:
MetalHeadMike wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:
Dave's amps are what they are: you dig 'em or you don't. You can't base it off of a clip.

This pretty much!

I think its hilarious when people judge an amp, or any gear, from clips :hys: They are fun to listen to and useful to a degree in painting a broad picture of a particular piece of gear, but to give your impressions of an amp based on a clip.... :hys:

I don't think anyone is judging the amp....just the demo. We all know the amp is killer, based on the reviews of the BE 50. Just change the EQ a bit during the demo, to show the different tones that it can produce.
That's all.

No worries.
:rock:

Lexicon PCM 80
Roland SDE 3000
79 1960A w/65s
74 1960A w/GBs
Mesa Standard V30 cab
1985 Ibanez Destroyer

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 29, 2019 10:30am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
swamptrashstompboxes wrote:

I've got two in forums for sale now: 2017 BE100 and 2018 BE50 DLX. I am NOT making room for the BE100 DLX; rather, I'm investing in some career certifications and using the cash that way.

Prices are very competitive and amps in great shape.

Six months ago it would not have been an issue. My divorce lawyer got shy of $10k. That could have been an amp or two... Lol. But more importantly my assets, investments, and earnings weren't hit by the ex wife. That's more important lol.

🍻

Splawn: PROMOD KT88, Nitro KT88, Super Sport 6V6. Orange Rockerverb 50mki. Fryette Sig:X. Rivera K100, K-TRE. Mesa:, mkIV, Tremoverb, Nomad 100, Subway Blues, .22 cal w/GEQ Peavey JSX Musicman 100RD.Fender: 72 SF Bassman, 70 Twin Reverb, 67 SF Bandmaster. Ampeg: Lee Jackson, AX70, Crate BV120 w/CEC mods.
BUILDS: 5F1, 1978X 18 Watt.
BUILDS IN PROCESS: AA165, JTM45.
And a bunch of modded EPI VJR's.

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 29, 2019 10:32am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I'd like to try one, the 100w Plexi/Clean channel is probably great just by itself.

Wizard MTL
Cabs: Orange
Gibson CS Les Pauls
Knaggs Singlecuts

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 30, 2019 9:41pm 
Immortal Rock God

I got mine today, only got to race test it for a short bit, but here's what I can tell you. I can only compare it to my Friedman modded Metro plexi, which is one of my favorite amps.
But for the sake of those with BE100's I can give you a decent comparison
The plexi channel is really good. It will get really clean with a lot of headroom to bubbly and dynamic to classic rock tones with ease. Very compatible with hum buckers or single coils, tons of tones in there. P90's sound amazing through it.
BE channel is slightly more gain than the old BE circuit, but with the voicing options can get all the mids/top you want, razor sharp to easier on the ears if you like that. Its also more opened up, and slightly less compressed to my ears. Still loves all kinds of pickups
HBE is a full on ass kicker, sounds slightly more aggressive, slightly more opened up, with a lot more control of fine tuning the voicing and negative feedback options.
Both the BE and HBE channels have a 3 position gain structure with that really opens up a ton of different tones. Lower settings are more dynamic and roll off amazingly well.
Some of my fav tones are in the medium gain structure HBE channel with the C45 option engaged. Very tight, still really dynamic with the right pickups. The freq selector switch for the thump control is very cool. Depending on the guitar or even the cab your using, it gives you some fast available options for your bottom end.
Lots of changes, lots of options, but the core BE tone is still there and I think the new one is slightly better with WAY more control to get more aggressive voicing and less of a darker tone. You can still get that darker tone if you like that, I loved it and still do, but the new kid has moved on.
I'm keeping mine. Im not selling my BE/HBE KS modded plexi, I still love that amp. I think the DLX is a better, more versatile amp that delivers in spades. No its not as much gain as the Butterslax, but its not at all far from it, and its not nearly as compressed in bone crushing kill modes. Its very, very alive :yes:
Sounds amazing cranked, but still sounds great at lower levels too, and the loop is as good as the best I've heard. Even as good as Todd Langner's tube buffered loop, which was my favorite up to this point.
Gotta lot of fine tuning to do, but I'm totally slammed with work, I won't get to play it much for a bit. I'll get a clip up when I get time, but someone will probably beat me to it
Carry on

Fortin JCM800 Hyper mod
Friedman Modded Metro Superlead
Friedman BE100DLX
Ceriatone JTM45
JCM 2000 DSL
VOX AC15
Marshall Dual Monoblock 100/100
6 Marshall 412's
2 Laney AOR 412's

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 31, 2019 8:21am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

JTyson wrote:
I got mine today, only got to race test it for a short bit, but here's what I can tell you. I can only compare it to my Friedman modded Metro plexi, which is one of my favorite amps.
The plexi channel is really good. It will get really clean with a lot of headroom to bubbly and dynamic to classic rock tones with ease. Very compatible with hum buckers or single coils, tons of tones in there. P90's sound amazing through it.
BE channel is slightly more gain than the old BE circuit, but with the voicing options can get all the mids/top you want, razor sharp to easier on the ears if you like that. Its also more opened up, and slightly less compressed to my ears. Still loves all kinds of pickups
HBE is a full on ass kicker, sounds slightly more aggressive, slightly more opened up, with a lot more control of fine tuning the voicing and negative feedback options.
Both the BE and HBE channels have a 3 position gain structure with that really opens up a ton of different tones. Lower settings are more dynamic and roll off amazingly well.
Some of my fav tones are in the medium gain structure HBE channel with the C45 option engaged. Very tight, still really dynamic with the right pickups. The freq selector switch for the thump control is very cool. Depending on the guitar or even the cab your using, it gives you some fast available options for your bottom end.
Lots of changes, lots of options, but the core BE tone is still there and I think the new one is slightly better with WAY more control to get more aggressive voicing and less of a darker tone. You can still get that darker tone if you like that, I loved it and still do, but the new kid has moved on.
I'm keeping mine. Im not selling my BE/HBE KS modded plexi, I still love that amp. I think the DLX is a better, more versatile amp that delivers in spades. No its not as much gain as the Butterslax, but its not at all far from it, and its not nearly as compressed in bone crushing kill modes. Its very, very alive :yes:
Sounds amazing cranked, but still sounds great at lower levels too, and the loop is as good as the best I've heard. Even as good as Todd Langner's tube buffered loop, which was my favorite up to this point.
Gotta lot of fine tuning to do, but I'm totally slammed with work, I won't get to play it much for a bit. I'll get a clip up when I get time, but someone will probably beat me to it
Carry on

great info, thanks for the perspective - sounds like a great tweak on the BE platform. One of my favorite versions was the 2 input version, wonder how they compare.

Wizard MTL
Cabs: Orange
Gibson CS Les Pauls
Knaggs Singlecuts

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 31, 2019 11:50am 
Supah Stah

Hey Dave... I have a brand new BE-50 Deluxe I picked up at Gear Fest. I barely opened the box. How much to trade it for a BE-100 Deluxe? :D ;)

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 31, 2019 12:04pm 
Wannabe a Supah Stah

JTyson wrote:
Carry on

Great review from someone I know and trust. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 31, 2019 4:07pm 
Wannabe a Supah Stah

IndyWS6 wrote:
Hey Dave... I have a brand new BE-50 Deluxe I picked up at Gear Fest. I barely opened the box. How much to trade it for a BE-100 Deluxe? :D ;)

Get both! :rock: :lol: :LOL:

I haven't played the 100 Deluxe yet, but I have played the 50 and I think it suits me more, because I prefer Fender spank to plexi round hairy cleans. Either way... Dave's amps are tits. I've had six of them, but haven't had one for about six months or so (though I currently have a Shirley pedal on my Friedman 1530 Platinum board). I'm due for another one of Dave's amps. It'll either be a JJ20 or BE50. If my old BE100 (2015 specs) had the clean spank of the BE50, I'd probably still have it. They've all been winners though. And Dave is always the man, taking the time to answer email questions personally, or post on forums occasionally.

Regarding Dave's amps generally not having Marshall aggression... that's because they were designed to give the sound of modded Marshalls that were modded to sound like they were cranked and compressing, without being at ear-bleeding volumes. Do they have those raw, in-your-face Marshall mids (kerrang)? Not "faithfully". But all of my Marshalls came before the Friedmans started showing-up, and they generally aren't in my plans for future amps. I still think that vintage plexis and JCM800s are awesome amps (and I still dig JCM2000 DSLs), but prefer the refinement of Dave's amps.

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 31, 2019 4:10pm 
Wannabe a Supah Stah

MetalHeadMike wrote:
Racerxrated wrote:
MetalHeadMike wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:

This pretty much!

That's all.

How goes the battle MHM? Sitting here, a scant 30 miles away from you, but see more of you on the forum than in person! Hopefully you're keeping the windows in your sleepy little hamlet rattling! :rock:

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 31, 2019 9:21pm 
Rock God

psychodave wrote:
JTyson wrote:
Carry on

Great review from someone I know and trust. :thumbsup:

:rock:
Sounds like it can get open, bright and aggressive....all I'd want.

Lexicon PCM 80
Roland SDE 3000
79 1960A w/65s
74 1960A w/GBs
Mesa Standard V30 cab
1985 Ibanez Destroyer

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 01, 2019 6:18am 
Immortal Rock God

UberschallEL34 wrote:
I'd like to try one, the 100w Plexi/Clean channel is probably great just by itself.

Its a great plexi channel, you can dial it for cleans easily. Not as good as the Suhr plexi version, I think it lacks a little snarl and character compared to those, but it will work for me as a clean channel with no problems whatsoever. I get the impression it was primarily meant for exactly what it is, a clean channel that goes further in that pissed off at higher gain settings than most, but not as far as some of the better purpose built plexi clones like the Metro or the Suhr
There may be more in there I haven't seen yet, I probably spent the least amount of time in that channel

Fortin JCM800 Hyper mod
Friedman BE100DLX
Ceriatone JTM45
JCM 2000 DSL
VOX AC15
6 Marshall 412's
2 Laney AOR 412's

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 01, 2019 8:10am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I just picked up my BE 100 deluxe.Of the other 2 versions of BE 100s ive owned and enjoyed,I definitely dig this one the most.Love the plexi clean ch.I got a killer modern country rock tone from it let alone just a great rich,detailed clean too.JTtyson's review is spot on.I just love this amp when its opened up.Luckily,im in a position i can get it opened up fairly easy.And all the small switches really do make big differences.I can still hear the ol marshall growl in there,its all in how you tune it in.Just a fantastic amp all around,very versatile too.Kudos to Dave,you once again knocked it out of the park!!!

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 01, 2019 3:20pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

New video. Sounds pretty good to me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgkZbI8sXf8

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 03, 2019 10:38am 
Immortal Rock God

Must say, the detail in the mids are amazing in this amp, and I'm finding even more tones in the Plexi channel! My Dave Grissom PRS through that channel sounds killer at any pickup setting. I think its better than I initially gave it credit for. Really dynamic with the DGT pickups. You can run hot pickups through it and def get what your after, but these not so hot DGT's are super dynamic :yes:
The BE channel at mid gain structure with the gain pulled back just a bit is a monster JCM800.. Nice and toothy with bark. Most things I have don't do a good 800 well at all.. They want to... But no big grins.. :D

Mmmmmm...... :lol: :LOL:

Fortin JCM800 Hyper mod
Friedman BE100DLX
Ceriatone JTM45
JCM 2000 DSL
VOX AC15
6 Marshall 412's
2 Laney AOR 412's

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 04, 2019 8:45am 
Hack

That amp needs some Schenker riffage. wink wink across the bay

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 04, 2019 10:04am 
Immortal Rock God

panhead wrote:
That amp needs some Schenker riffage. wink wink across the bay

Hehehehe, agreed..
Shawn?? :D

Fortin JCM800 Hyper mod
Friedman BE100DLX
Ceriatone JTM45
JCM 2000 DSL
VOX AC15
6 Marshall 412's
2 Laney AOR 412's

PostPosted: Mon, Aug 05, 2019 6:55am 
Hack

Nope Ernest T Bass

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 15, 2019 12:22am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 15, 2019 2:54am 
Hack

psychodave wrote:
I listened to the official 100 deluxe video earlier today and it sounded cool for rock and roll, but it’s missing that pissed off aggression I’ve grown to love in Marshall’s driven with a pedal and modded Marshall’s.

Sure, alright if it works for you. However, when it comes down to real hardcore classic Marshall drive and lush tone every rock guitarist knows that Billie Joe Armstrong is the master. ;)

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 15, 2019 10:37am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

spliffsperlunk wrote:

Damn...that was pretty cool.

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 15, 2019 6:29pm 
Immortal Rock God

UberschallEL34 wrote:
JTyson wrote:
Carry on

great info, thanks for the perspective - sounds like a great tweak on the BE platform. One of my favorite versions was the 2 input version, wonder how they compare.

I really don't know, the only BE/HBE Ive played is the Plexi Dave modded for me years ago. Its still one of my favorite amps. Ive heard a ton of clips of the 2 input versions, but I can't always tell a lot by them, there are a ton of variables in what Im hearing. That shit drives me crazy :lol: :LOL: The BE channel on the DLX is fantastic, its got more gain than my older version of that circuit, but its still less compressed and its super tight! I boosted the piss out of it last night with the SAT switch off, and it absolutely loves it.

Fortin JCM800 Hyper mod
Friedman BE100DLX
Ceriatone JTM45
JCM 2000 DSL
VOX AC15
6 Marshall 412's
2 Laney AOR 412's

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 16, 2019 1:44am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Congrats on this amp - hoping it everything you were looking for. :cheers:

Racerxrated wrote:

Totally.

Clips
My Blogs

"PEOPLE TRUST ME WITH THEIR LIVES,,,,, THINK ABOUT IT!" - Billy Blades

"I don't let peoples opinion of me rent space in my head, its none of my bidness."- Charveldan

"Mr. Blades is a dickwad, can't play for shit, can't make an amp to save his life and has shit gear.
Dan is largely misunderstood, a great person, a good GP and has excellent gear. Other than that they are nothing alike."
- Charveldan 03/02/16..............AKA: Chester Nimitz

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 16, 2019 3:00pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Curious how different or similar this would be to the production Fortin Cali.

Most responses=> WtNHuqHWefU

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 16, 2019 4:10pm 
Rock God

IntenseJim wrote:
Curious how different or similar this would be to the production Fortin Cali.

Fortin’s tone will always be more aggressive sounding due to the way he eq’s his amps.