Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Wed, Aug 21, 2019 4:13pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 15, 2019 8:46pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Are you human?: 951
So a Custom Audio Amplifiers PT-100 popped up for $1200... no idea on the year it was made, pics look ok. Tried to find some vids of it doing some kind of metal the best I found was an old Mark Day vid which sounded pretty good. Anybody have the full scoop on these amps? I like to play more than just metal but I always revert to chugging riffs lol.

First Act - Ola signature 25 string with Evertune
Monoprice- Indio Cali Classic Electric Guitar with Gig Bag Sunburst
Fortin modded Gorilla "Masterbuilt" GG-10 (Hand wired).

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 16, 2019 10:00am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

From the one i played years ago....I'd say the Answer is Yes. The Whomp Switch is really useful.

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 16, 2019 10:49am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Yes... if we are talking about the older CAA PT-100... not the newer/current Suhr PT-100.

Channel 2 with an OD pedal or Channel 3 both can do it. With the Feedback control turned up, it get's pretty tight. I actually like this version better than the current one for metal. It can chug.

:yes: :thumbsup:

Excellent transactions with: sjk (S: Soldano SLO 100), glip22 (S: Gibson Historic LP R7), MrPlexi (S: Suhr PT100), Metalhead (S: PRS SC-250 AP), killertone (S: Diezel Herbert), tlingen (S: Engl SE EL34), fuzzyguitars (S: PRS Tremonti Trem & Gibson Historic LP R8), xzyryabx (S: Engl Savage 120), Devilinside (S: Randall Satan), DarkCide: (S: ESP M-II), Mizati20 (S: PV 6505+), bartmcartman (S: Bogner XTC 101B), thaifoo (S: Engl Savage 120), lester (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12), adrenalinejunky (S: Fryette UltraLead), gbsmusic (S: Fender EVH Wolfgang), savant421 (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12 cab), ams2ek (S: Mills Acoustics 4X12 cab), blastcap (S: Gibson Explorer), braciola (S: PV EVH Wolfgang USA), splawner (S: Wampler Plextortion), mhenson42 (S: Celestion V30 speakers), Gsxrbusa (S: Jackson SL2H), El Mariachi (S: Suhr Koko Boost), braintheory (S: Engl SE EL34), ChurchHill (S: Gibson Historic Custom BBR7), RKnight (S: Mesa Mark IV), LunatiBSW (S: Wizard MCII) and many more.

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 16, 2019 11:20am 
Rock God

1200?? That's a GREAT price on that amp...usually more like 2K around here, maybe a little less...

Lexicon PCM 80
Roland SDE 3000
79 1960A w/65s
74 1960A w/GBs
Mesa Standard V30 cab
Peavey Butcher Cab w/K85s
2009 Charvel USA Candy Plum SoCal
2008 Charvel USA Candy Tangerine SoCal
1985 Ibanez Destroyer

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 16, 2019 11:56am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I know the CAA version can...I loved that amp. With the Whomp II and Presence control you can(if you want) get some scoopage. Many options for shaping the sound and the feedback control to tune in the tightness and more than enough gain to get you where you need to go.

Alternately, if you're like my preference for cleans, the classic thrash usually had a ultra clean, clean sound and the clean on the PT100 is pretty much, THE best clean tone I've ever heard...like so good it would be worth keeping the amp for that alone(it will do breakup cleans too if that's your gig).

Few amps have clean and gain that good in one amp.

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 16, 2019 1:18pm 
Supah Stah

$1200 is an excellent deal!

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 16, 2019 1:29pm 
Plank Cranker

This record was tracked with a PT100, serial number 666 actually :)

THE ABSENCE "Enemy Unbound" in stores world-wide!
THE ABSENCE "Riders Of The Plague" in stores world-wide!
THE ABSENCE "From Your Grave" in stores world-wide!

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 16, 2019 2:45pm 
Supah Stah

ihave27frets wrote:
This record was tracked with a PT100, serial number 666 actually :)

And there is your answer. Peter does know tone!

What is this Escape Artist thing you are hinting at in your sig?

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 16, 2019 5:00pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Thanks guys. So yeah this thing is going for $1200. I've been watching this and an Uberschall from the same seller for over year now lol. Apparently this guy is one of those auction storage locker guys. He started off at $2,200 originally and a year later its at $1,200. In fact I asked if the Uberschall was still available he said it sold last week but the PT100 is available and he is taking offers too... so I could try for 1k maybe? We'll see... I kind of have VHT gas atm :confused: but no nothing on the horizon locally.

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 16, 2019 7:41pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Wizard of Ozz wrote:
Yes... if we are talking about the older CAA PT-100... not the newer/current Suhr PT-100.

Channel 2 with an OD pedal or Channel 3 both can do it. With the Feedback control turned up, it get's pretty tight. I actually like this version better than the current one for metal. It can chug.

Hey dude you don't happen to have any clip of this amp you could share? I told myself no more amps for while but the price alone is giving me gas :doh: And yes its the older CAA PT-100.

Here is a pic from the ad

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 16, 2019 11:23pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

errrrrl wrote:
Wizard of Ozz wrote:

Hey dude you don't happen to have any clip of this amp you could share? I told myself no more amps for while but the price alone is giving me gas :doh: And yes its the older CAA PT-100.

Here is a pic from the ad

Sorry no clips. I really, really dig these amps. That’s the one to get. John Suhr and Pete thought it sounded “too tight, metal, and modern”... which is why they changed it bunch with the newer version. But tight, metal, and modern are all the things I dig. IIRC... Reb Beach is still using this version live and in the studio.

If your looking for a high gain, modified thicker Marshall 2203 sound that can stay pretty tight with ample gain... I doubt you’ll be disappointed. These are also really well built. Also that’s a good price too.

Excellent transactions with: sjk (S: Soldano SLO 100), glip22 (S: Gibson Historic LP R7), MrPlexi (S: Suhr PT100), Metalhead (S: PRS SC-250 AP), killertone (S: Diezel Herbert), tlingen (S: Engl SE EL34), fuzzyguitars (S: PRS Tremonti Trem & Gibson Historic LP R8), xzyryabx (S: Engl Savage 120), Devilinside (S: Randall Satan), DarkCide: (S: ESP M-II), Mizati20 (S: PV 6505+), bartmcartman (S: Bogner XTC 101B), thaifoo (S: Engl Savage 120), lester (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12), adrenalinejunky (S: Fryette UltraLead), gbsmusic (S: Fender EVH Wolfgang), savant421 (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12 cab), ams2ek (S: Mills Acoustics 4X12 cab), blastcap (S: Gibson Explorer), braciola (S: PV EVH Wolfgang USA), splawner (S: Wampler Plextortion), mhenson42 (S: Celestion V30 speakers), Gsxrbusa (S: Jackson SL2H), El Mariachi (S: Suhr Koko Boost), braintheory (S: Engl SE EL34), ChurchHill (S: Gibson Historic Custom BBR7), RKnight (S: Mesa Mark IV), LunatiBSW (S: Wizard MCII) and many more.