buying PCB's for a 101b? or other high end high gain amp.

skullfxr

where is a good place? i would prefer PCB to turret. i can use turret boards, but thats just generally on simpler amps (JTM45, bassman, etc)

i can source the parts without issue.

what would you recommend for caps?

a layout is a plus.

what do you recommend for iron? i am thinking heyboer or classictone, as that is what i generally use.

thanks and cheers!

swamptrashstompboxes":2flqjvpv said:
where is a good place? i would prefer PCB to turret. i can use turret boards, but thats just generally on simpler amps (JTM45, bassman, etc)

i can source the parts without issue.

what would you recommend for caps?

a layout is a plus.

what do you recommend for iron? i am thinking heyboer or classictone, as that is what i generally use.

thanks and cheers!
there are Wizard MCII pcbs available as well as SLO and BE100. If you want channel switching and DC heaters, classictone will be far cheaper. You may want to consider the Valvestorm project chassis. Fun caps are really personal preference. Filter caps, I prefer ARS or F&T

I just want to build a massive sounding single channel metal amp. Nothing overly fancy, just plug and chug.

If it is going to be only one channel amp then it wont be complicated, and turret board should be more than enough in my opinion. It might becoma a bit more complicated if you will decide to implement all those pre-eq, contour, boost, a/b excursion, a/b presence cirucits, but in fact blue channel of 101b is very simple, red one too, just one another stage ;)

Keep in mind that really huuge part of 101b comes from nfb arrangement too.

About filter caps - definately F&T.
CC caps - if you want to be as close as possible to 101b - then WIMA's FKP3.

Recon":t48tu680 said:
Keep in mind that really huuge part of 101b comes from nfb arrangement too
Amen.... I drives me crazy when people build and amp based on a boutique amp, and neglect the NFB. That's where the true magic is. Take a BE100, XTC, Cameron, Fortin, or Fryette and implement them with a simple single resistor NFB, you have effectively left all of the mojo and balls out of those circuits.

scottosan":3qjph5y5 said:
Recon":3qjph5y5 said:
Amen.... I drives me crazy when people build and amp based on a boutique amp, and neglect the NFB. That's where the true magic is. Take a BE100, XTC, Cameron, Fortin, or Fryette and implement them with a simple single resistor NFB, you have effectively left all of the mojo and balls out of those circuits.

You know this makes me wonder what the Cantrell'ish build I'm doing would sound like using the 101b NFB circuit. I'm never going to get this thing finished :LOL: :LOL:

scottosan":2vxjcdsw said:
Recon":2vxjcdsw said:
I just finished building a 50watt JJ / Slax type mashup, and I agree with this 100%

technomancer":2jz5mpbb said:
scottosan":2jz5mpbb said:
Recon":2jz5mpbb said:

You know this makes me wonder what the Cantrell'ish build I'm doing would sound like using the 101b NFB circuit. I'm never going to get this thing finished :LOL: :LOL:

Because of low nfb cap (470p) in 101b - also mids(!) are boosted, so the overall feel is bit muddy and dark, but it is sweet and iconic anyway :)

Recon":2sajyf40 said:
technomancer":2sajyf40 said:
scottosan":2sajyf40 said:
Recon":2sajyf40 said:

Because of low nfb cap (470p) in 101b - also mids(!) are boosted, so the overall feel is bit muddy and dark, but it is sweet and iconic anyway :)
470p in the XTC while "loose" with the 1M and the audio taper treble. The 470p when paralleled with a pot at lower resistance ala CCV center position yeild the most punch/ grind

fusedbrain":le4zynim said:
scottosan":le4zynim said:
Recon":le4zynim said:
I just finished building a 50watt JJ / Slax type mashup, and I agree with this 100%

Woah I would love this. I'm hoping to grab a Slax inspired PCB. Ive grabbed a MCII and an MTL PCB but I've just been casually buying components. I may be a little more motivated to do the Slax but its way out of my comfort zone at the moment.

ClintN667":1xr665n6 said:
fusedbrain":1xr665n6 said:
scottosan":1xr665n6 said:
Recon":1xr665n6 said:

Woah I would love this. I'm hoping to grab a Slax inspired PCB. Ive grabbed a MCII and an MTL PCB but I've just been casually buying components. I may be a little more motivated to do the Slax but its way out of my comfort zone at the moment.

Where did you get them from if you don't mind me asking?

Clint,
I would not recommend a channel switching PCB until you have a firm understanding of rectification types and calculations, voltage drop and current calculations, proper component selection (spacing, ratings, etc) and some experience debugging electronics

I'm not planning on doing these for awhile just grabbing the boards while they are available. I'm doing a 2204 build next. Then I'm planning on a Superlead

Back