Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Tue, Nov 19, 2019 3:46am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat, Sep 21, 2019 5:31pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Feb 20, 2019 12:04am
Posts: 1832
Are you human?: 951
It is a trace elliot speed twin C50.

The guy mismatched the load. Smell, turn off. Replace tubes, works for five minutes. Blows fuse. Replace fuse, no on light or anything. Dead as a fucking door knob. Nothing melted on a visual inspection.

Whatcha'all think happened? It was runing 4 ohms into an 8 ohm speaker. I have never had a 1:2 or 2:1 ratio screw things up so bad.

Do you think that I killed a tyranny?

_________________
The keepers:
Splawn: PROMOD, Nitro, Super Sport.
Orange Rockerverb 50mki. Fryette Sig:X.
Rivera K100, K-TRE. Musicman 100RD.
Mesa:, mkIV, Tremoverb, Subway Blues, .22 GEQ.
Fender: 64 Bandmaster, 67 Bandmaster, 72 Bassman, 70 Twin Reverb, BF Concert 4x10".
BUILDS: 5F1, 1978X 18 Watt. Modded VJR'S
BUILDS IN PROCESS: AA165, JTM45.

The keepers:
Ibanez Prestige x 5
USA/MIJ Jacksons x 6
Gibsons LP x 3, SG
USA/MIJ Charvel x 4
USA Fender x 4 MIK x 2 MIM x 2
Hofner Semihollows x 3
ESP Eclipse, Horizon

Good deals with: napalmdeath


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat, Sep 21, 2019 8:27pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Jul 04, 2006 6:13pm
Posts: 1989
Location: Dallas, Texas
Are you human?: 951
swamptrashstompboxes wrote:
It is a trace elliot speed twin C50.

The guy mismatched the load. Smell, turn off. Replace tubes, works for five minutes. Blows fuse. Replace fuse, no on light or anything. Dead as a fucking door knob. Nothing melted on a visual inspection.

Whatcha'all think happened? It was runing 4 ohms into an 8 ohm speaker. I have never had a 1:2 or 2:1 ratio screw things up so bad.

Do you think that I killed a tyranny?
HT? Mains? Or both? Also, are you using Slo blo fuses? If fuses are replaced will it power on without power tubes? 8 ohm speaker plugged into a 4 ohms secondary would not cause this. A JTM45 and other amps get their tone from.mismatching secondary impedances. In your case , you'd basically yield less wattage.

_________________
Friedman BE100 Clone
Cameron CCV 100 Clone
Single Channel CCV Clone
Mojo 4x12 w/G12H-30s & V30s
1988 Les Paul 1959 Reissue
Chubtone #17
Charvel Satchel




Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Sep 22, 2019 9:15am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Feb 20, 2019 12:04am
Posts: 1832
Are you human?: 951
scottosan wrote:
swamptrashstompboxes wrote:
It is a trace elliot speed twin C50.

The guy mismatched the load. Smell, turn off. Replace tubes, works for five minutes. Blows fuse. Replace fuse, no on light or anything. Dead as a fucking door knob. Nothing melted on a visual inspection.

Whatcha'all think happened? It was runing 4 ohms into an 8 ohm speaker. I have never had a 1:2 or 2:1 ratio screw things up so bad.

Do you think that I killed a tyranny?
HT? Mains? Or both? Also, are you using Slo blo fuses? If fuses are replaced will it power on without power tubes? 8 ohm speaker plugged into a 4 ohms secondary would not cause this. A JTM45 and other amps get their tone from.mismatching secondary impedances. In your case , you'd basically yield less wattage.



I replaced the mains, still will not turn on. Can't find an HT and am damn near sure that there isn't one.

_________________
The keepers:
Splawn: PROMOD, Nitro, Super Sport.
Orange Rockerverb 50mki. Fryette Sig:X.
Rivera K100, K-TRE. Musicman 100RD.
Mesa:, mkIV, Tremoverb, Subway Blues, .22 GEQ.
Fender: 64 Bandmaster, 67 Bandmaster, 72 Bassman, 70 Twin Reverb, BF Concert 4x10".
BUILDS: 5F1, 1978X 18 Watt. Modded VJR'S
BUILDS IN PROCESS: AA165, JTM45.

The keepers:
Ibanez Prestige x 5
USA/MIJ Jacksons x 6
Gibsons LP x 3, SG
USA/MIJ Charvel x 4
USA Fender x 4 MIK x 2 MIM x 2
Hofner Semihollows x 3
ESP Eclipse, Horizon

Good deals with: napalmdeath


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Sep 22, 2019 9:17am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Feb 20, 2019 12:04am
Posts: 1832
Are you human?: 951
I should say that I can't even get it to even blow a fuse.

_________________
The keepers:
Splawn: PROMOD, Nitro, Super Sport.
Orange Rockerverb 50mki. Fryette Sig:X.
Rivera K100, K-TRE. Musicman 100RD.
Mesa:, mkIV, Tremoverb, Subway Blues, .22 GEQ.
Fender: 64 Bandmaster, 67 Bandmaster, 72 Bassman, 70 Twin Reverb, BF Concert 4x10".
BUILDS: 5F1, 1978X 18 Watt. Modded VJR'S
BUILDS IN PROCESS: AA165, JTM45.

The keepers:
Ibanez Prestige x 5
USA/MIJ Jacksons x 6
Gibsons LP x 3, SG
USA/MIJ Charvel x 4
USA Fender x 4 MIK x 2 MIM x 2
Hofner Semihollows x 3
ESP Eclipse, Horizon

Good deals with: napalmdeath


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Sep 22, 2019 12:25pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Jul 04, 2006 6:13pm
Posts: 1989
Location: Dallas, Texas
Are you human?: 951
swamptrashstompboxes wrote:
I should say that I can't even get it to even blow a fuse.

Since the pilot lights could be either 120v or 6v, you need to decide and conquer. Remove all tubes and power on. Check voltages (AC) on before rectification on the B+. This will be related to the B+ fuse. Also check continuity through the fuse bofore all of this. Check AC voltage on heaters (pins 2 and 7 for octal tubes) this will be associated with the Mains fuses

_________________
Friedman BE100 Clone
Cameron CCV 100 Clone
Single Channel CCV Clone
Mojo 4x12 w/G12H-30s & V30s
1988 Les Paul 1959 Reissue
Chubtone #17
Charvel Satchel




Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Sep 22, 2019 2:08pm 
Offline
Scumback Speakers
User avatar

Joined: Thu, Jan 29, 2009 8:15am
Posts: 1651
Location: Los Angeles, CA.
Are you human?: 951
Those TE trannies were touchy. Gibson bought them in the late 90's, and I had one of the early Super Goldtones based on their design. That thing was in the shop 18 of it's 24 month warranty. When it failed the last time, Gibson sent me a new USA build head. That's been solid.

I got the first one fixed, put it back in the combo cab and parked it under a moving blanket.

IMO, those TE amps were pretty iffy. Good luck!

_________________
Scumback Speakers Holiday Sale on Now thru 12/31/19
Up to $60 off on a four speaker order!
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632 sales@scumbackspeakers.com
https://www.facebook.com/scumbackspeakers/
https://www.instagram.com/scumback_speakers/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Sep 22, 2019 2:28pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Fri, Dec 23, 2016 9:18pm
Posts: 252
Location: Kansas City (OP)
Are you human?: 951
FYI, here's a schematic for the CL100 which I assume is the same except the power section. I don't see a pilot, just two LED's, but there's nothing power side of the power XFMR in the schematic.

What you describes sounds to me like the original fuse stopped something from burning. When you replaced it, that little time allowed that part to burn and now you're getting nothing. I'd pull tubes, power on and start tracing voltage through the amp. The schematic has reference voltages.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon, Sep 23, 2019 6:38am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Feb 20, 2019 12:04am
Posts: 1832
Are you human?: 951
Scumback Speakers wrote:
Those TE trannies were touchy. Gibson bought them in the late 90's, and I had one of the early Super Goldtones based on their design. That thing was in the shop 18 of it's 24 month warranty. When it failed the last time, Gibson sent me a new USA build head. That's been solid.

I got the first one fixed, put it back in the combo cab and parked it under a moving blanket.

IMO, those TE amps were pretty iffy. Good luck!

. This is a black tolex made in the UK. I thought that predated Gibson's takeover.

_________________
The keepers:
Splawn: PROMOD, Nitro, Super Sport.
Orange Rockerverb 50mki. Fryette Sig:X.
Rivera K100, K-TRE. Musicman 100RD.
Mesa:, mkIV, Tremoverb, Subway Blues, .22 GEQ.
Fender: 64 Bandmaster, 67 Bandmaster, 72 Bassman, 70 Twin Reverb, BF Concert 4x10".
BUILDS: 5F1, 1978X 18 Watt. Modded VJR'S
BUILDS IN PROCESS: AA165, JTM45.

The keepers:
Ibanez Prestige x 5
USA/MIJ Jacksons x 6
Gibsons LP x 3, SG
USA/MIJ Charvel x 4
USA Fender x 4 MIK x 2 MIM x 2
Hofner Semihollows x 3
ESP Eclipse, Horizon

Good deals with: napalmdeath


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon, Sep 23, 2019 6:39am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Feb 20, 2019 12:04am
Posts: 1832
Are you human?: 951
scottosan wrote:
swamptrashstompboxes wrote:
I should say that I can't even get it to even blow a fuse.

Since the pilot lights could be either 120v or 6v, you need to decide and conquer. Remove all tubes and power on. Check voltages (AC) on before rectification on the B+. This will be related to the B+ fuse. Also check continuity through the fuse bofore all of this. Check AC voltage on heaters (pins 2 and 7 for octal tubes) this will be associated with the Mains fuses



Thank you much, will do. Gimme a day or two.

_________________
The keepers:
Splawn: PROMOD, Nitro, Super Sport.
Orange Rockerverb 50mki. Fryette Sig:X.
Rivera K100, K-TRE. Musicman 100RD.
Mesa:, mkIV, Tremoverb, Subway Blues, .22 GEQ.
Fender: 64 Bandmaster, 67 Bandmaster, 72 Bassman, 70 Twin Reverb, BF Concert 4x10".
BUILDS: 5F1, 1978X 18 Watt. Modded VJR'S
BUILDS IN PROCESS: AA165, JTM45.

The keepers:
Ibanez Prestige x 5
USA/MIJ Jacksons x 6
Gibsons LP x 3, SG
USA/MIJ Charvel x 4
USA Fender x 4 MIK x 2 MIM x 2
Hofner Semihollows x 3
ESP Eclipse, Horizon

Good deals with: napalmdeath


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon, Sep 23, 2019 6:44am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Feb 20, 2019 12:04am
Posts: 1832
Are you human?: 951
rstites wrote:
FYI, here's a schematic for the CL100 which I assume is the same except the power section. I don't see a pilot, just two LED's, but there's nothing power side of the power XFMR in the schematic.

What you describes sounds to me like the original fuse stopped something from burning. When you replaced it, that little time allowed that part to burn and now you're getting nothing. I'd pull tubes, power on and start tracing voltage through the amp. The schematic has reference voltages.


Thanks for the schematic.

_________________
The keepers:
Splawn: PROMOD, Nitro, Super Sport.
Orange Rockerverb 50mki. Fryette Sig:X.
Rivera K100, K-TRE. Musicman 100RD.
Mesa:, mkIV, Tremoverb, Subway Blues, .22 GEQ.
Fender: 64 Bandmaster, 67 Bandmaster, 72 Bassman, 70 Twin Reverb, BF Concert 4x10".
BUILDS: 5F1, 1978X 18 Watt. Modded VJR'S
BUILDS IN PROCESS: AA165, JTM45.

The keepers:
Ibanez Prestige x 5
USA/MIJ Jacksons x 6
Gibsons LP x 3, SG
USA/MIJ Charvel x 4
USA Fender x 4 MIK x 2 MIM x 2
Hofner Semihollows x 3
ESP Eclipse, Horizon

Good deals with: napalmdeath


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon, Sep 23, 2019 9:56am 
Offline
Scumback Speakers
User avatar

Joined: Thu, Jan 29, 2009 8:15am
Posts: 1651
Location: Los Angeles, CA.
Are you human?: 951
swamptrashstompboxes wrote:
. This is a black tolex made in the UK. I thought that predated Gibson's takeover.


Maybe so, but the TE designs weren't as robust as the ones Gibson made. I'm basing that experience on a UK model vs the Gibson USA version that replaced it.

_________________
Scumback Speakers Holiday Sale on Now thru 12/31/19
Up to $60 off on a four speaker order!
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632 sales@scumbackspeakers.com
https://www.facebook.com/scumbackspeakers/
https://www.instagram.com/scumback_speakers/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon, Sep 23, 2019 10:47am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Feb 20, 2019 12:04am
Posts: 1832
Are you human?: 951
Scumback Speakers wrote:
swamptrashstompboxes wrote:
. This is a black tolex made in the UK. I thought that predated Gibson's takeover.


Maybe so, but the TE designs weren't as robust as the ones Gibson made. I'm basing that experience on a UK model vs the Gibson USA version that replaced it.


Good to know.

As far as research tells me some of the rectification diodes like to blow. I will check that. I think I have some on hand.

_________________
The keepers:
Splawn: PROMOD, Nitro, Super Sport.
Orange Rockerverb 50mki. Fryette Sig:X.
Rivera K100, K-TRE. Musicman 100RD.
Mesa:, mkIV, Tremoverb, Subway Blues, .22 GEQ.
Fender: 64 Bandmaster, 67 Bandmaster, 72 Bassman, 70 Twin Reverb, BF Concert 4x10".
BUILDS: 5F1, 1978X 18 Watt. Modded VJR'S
BUILDS IN PROCESS: AA165, JTM45.

The keepers:
Ibanez Prestige x 5
USA/MIJ Jacksons x 6
Gibsons LP x 3, SG
USA/MIJ Charvel x 4
USA Fender x 4 MIK x 2 MIM x 2
Hofner Semihollows x 3
ESP Eclipse, Horizon

Good deals with: napalmdeath


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat, Oct 05, 2019 5:03am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Feb 20, 2019 12:04am
Posts: 1832
Are you human?: 951
The rectification diodes look toasted AF. been really busy, replacing those first, as i am pretty sure that I have some around.

_________________
The keepers:
Splawn: PROMOD, Nitro, Super Sport.
Orange Rockerverb 50mki. Fryette Sig:X.
Rivera K100, K-TRE. Musicman 100RD.
Mesa:, mkIV, Tremoverb, Subway Blues, .22 GEQ.
Fender: 64 Bandmaster, 67 Bandmaster, 72 Bassman, 70 Twin Reverb, BF Concert 4x10".
BUILDS: 5F1, 1978X 18 Watt. Modded VJR'S
BUILDS IN PROCESS: AA165, JTM45.

The keepers:
Ibanez Prestige x 5
USA/MIJ Jacksons x 6
Gibsons LP x 3, SG
USA/MIJ Charvel x 4
USA Fender x 4 MIK x 2 MIM x 2
Hofner Semihollows x 3
ESP Eclipse, Horizon

Good deals with: napalmdeath


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon, Oct 28, 2019 5:25pm 
Offline
Rock God

Joined: Mon, Jul 06, 2009 10:07am
Posts: 8127
If there was a smell, the first thing to do is pull the tubes and check your screen resistors. You never want to just replace the fuse if you smelled shit. My bet is a bad tube cooked a screen resistor. Replace resistor and new tubes, you are back in business.
Replace fuse and try again you do more damage.

_________________
Good deals with Steve K, Ttosh, Cyndicate, Moshaholic, Sswanson,
Immersed,Moltenmetalburn,MOOSEHEADS,Drumdude,Ignoramus,Espquade,smdb,
RG955T,pfapin05,TheHoff,Braciola,Inception,Dewd,JCJ,Roodboy,RickyRockhardo,
gbsmusic,Ignoramus,RipleyRipley,WizardOzz,Spaceboy,Tonmazz,Sjk,warhead78,
fuzzyguitars,bwgintegra,Bluplirstand,londaxe,* velcro-fly *Parap14 and at least 25 more


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon, Oct 28, 2019 6:38pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Feb 20, 2019 12:04am
Posts: 1832
Are you human?: 951
glip22 wrote:
If there was a smell, the first thing to do is pull the tubes and check your screen resistors. You never want to just replace the fuse if you smelled shit. My bet is a bad tube cooked a screen resistor. Replace resistor and new tubes, you are back in business.
Replace fuse and try again you do more damage.


I won't throw another fuse in, don't worry. I do know better. Should have known better.

I can tell that the rectifier diodes got cooked, which this amp is known for its pretty much disassembled just gotta do it.

I will check the screen resistors. Too when I go through it.

I am pretty sure they are fine, as the board shows no signs of cooking there. I am betting on the diodes, but will give it a look through.

_________________
The keepers:
Splawn: PROMOD, Nitro, Super Sport.
Orange Rockerverb 50mki. Fryette Sig:X.
Rivera K100, K-TRE. Musicman 100RD.
Mesa:, mkIV, Tremoverb, Subway Blues, .22 GEQ.
Fender: 64 Bandmaster, 67 Bandmaster, 72 Bassman, 70 Twin Reverb, BF Concert 4x10".
BUILDS: 5F1, 1978X 18 Watt. Modded VJR'S
BUILDS IN PROCESS: AA165, JTM45.

The keepers:
Ibanez Prestige x 5
USA/MIJ Jacksons x 6
Gibsons LP x 3, SG
USA/MIJ Charvel x 4
USA Fender x 4 MIK x 2 MIM x 2
Hofner Semihollows x 3
ESP Eclipse, Horizon

Good deals with: napalmdeath


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue, Oct 29, 2019 6:16am 
Offline
Rock God

Joined: Mon, Jul 06, 2009 10:07am
Posts: 8127
swamptrashstompboxes wrote:
glip22 wrote:
If there was a smell, the first thing to do is pull the tubes and check your screen resistors. You never want to just replace the fuse if you smelled shit. My bet is a bad tube cooked a screen resistor. Replace resistor and new tubes, you are back in business.
Replace fuse and try again you do more damage.


I won't throw another fuse in, don't worry. I do know better. Should have known better.

I can tell that the rectifier diodes got cooked, which this amp is known for its pretty much disassembled just gotta do it.

I will check the screen resistors. Too when I go through it.

I am pretty sure they are fine, as the board shows no signs of cooking there. I am betting on the diodes, but will give it a look through.

Yeah. You know your stuff. Just have to dive in at this point. Always seems a little daunting but once you start it always seems much easier when you get a handle on what needs to be done.

_________________
Good deals with Steve K, Ttosh, Cyndicate, Moshaholic, Sswanson,
Immersed,Moltenmetalburn,MOOSEHEADS,Drumdude,Ignoramus,Espquade,smdb,
RG955T,pfapin05,TheHoff,Braciola,Inception,Dewd,JCJ,Roodboy,RickyRockhardo,
gbsmusic,Ignoramus,RipleyRipley,WizardOzz,Spaceboy,Tonmazz,Sjk,warhead78,
fuzzyguitars,bwgintegra,Bluplirstand,londaxe,* velcro-fly *Parap14 and at least 25 more


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group - Terms of Use