Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Wed, Jan 22, 2020 4:32am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 12, 2020 9:20am 
Offline
Supah Stah

Joined: Sun, Jul 24, 2011 4:56pm
Posts: 3667
Location: Northern Virginia
Are you human?: 951
So I'm not particularly looking to sell it, but some guy claims to really wants to buy my factory short-head IIC+ DRG with the 105 PT.

What are these things actually worth? I don't really see another actual DRG like this one on the market right now. It's kind a nice amp (understatement) so I'd much rather keep it if the market is only a few thousand, but some of asking prices I've seen previously are eye-popping, and if it's actually worth that I guess I would be willing to sell to this guy.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 12, 2020 10:12am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Thu, Jun 17, 2010 1:32pm
Posts: 1597
Are you human?: 951
I would say $4000-5000 is a fair price these days and depending on how badly someone wants it, it can go up from there. They have went up in value dramatically.

_________________
The harsh cold winter gives way to a warm, rainy spring.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 12, 2020 10:16am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee

Joined: Fri, Nov 09, 2018 5:10pm
Posts: 685
Are you human?: 951
Out of curiosity what does the DRG stand for? I seen it a few places but I have never figured out the meaning.

_________________
KSR Orthos mk2
KSR 2x12
HX Stomp
Solar S1.6


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 12, 2020 10:26am 
Offline
Rock God

Joined: Sun, Mar 25, 2012 6:51pm
Posts: 7943
Location: Wi
Are you human?: 951
ClintN667 wrote:
Out of curiosity what does the DRG stand for? I seen it a few places but I have never figured out the meaning.

D-Simulclass. R-Reverb. G-GEQ.

The rest:
S-60w
H-100w
K-Coliseum 180w
X-Export transformer.

_________________
KRG 2C+ Coliseum 1X15 Combo w/EV, Road Case
1982 JCM 800 2204 Monomyth Black Sun Mod
HH M900
Roland SDE 3000 X2
79 1960A w/65s
74 1960A w/GBs
Mesa Standard V30 cab
Mesa Halfback 4x12 w/EV/C90s
Peavey Butcher Cab w/K85s
2009 Charvel USA Candy Plum SoCal
1984 Charvel San Dimas
1985 Ibanez Destroyer


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 12, 2020 10:30am 
Offline
Rock God

Joined: Sun, Mar 25, 2012 6:51pm
Posts: 7943
Location: Wi
Are you human?: 951
sutepaj wrote:
I would say $4000-5000 is a fair price these days and depending on how badly someone wants it, it can go up from there. They have went up in value dramatically.

:rock:
The 5K or more can be for an original, long head version DRG. The Coliseums can go for even more. 6-7K. One sold to a collector in Israel 3 yrs ago for 15K. If I remember correctly.

I'd say yours is worth 4K at a minimum since it has the 105, loaded and original. I'd ask 5K and be open to offers.

_________________
KRG 2C+ Coliseum 1X15 Combo w/EV, Road Case
1982 JCM 800 2204 Monomyth Black Sun Mod
HH M900
Roland SDE 3000 X2
79 1960A w/65s
74 1960A w/GBs
Mesa Standard V30 cab
Mesa Halfback 4x12 w/EV/C90s
Peavey Butcher Cab w/K85s
2009 Charvel USA Candy Plum SoCal
1984 Charvel San Dimas
1985 Ibanez Destroyer


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 12, 2020 10:30am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee

Joined: Fri, Nov 09, 2018 5:10pm
Posts: 685
Are you human?: 951
Thanks man!!

_________________
KSR Orthos mk2
KSR 2x12
HX Stomp
Solar S1.6


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 12, 2020 10:35am 
Offline
Rock God

Joined: Sun, Mar 25, 2012 6:51pm
Posts: 7943
Location: Wi
Are you human?: 951
ClintN667 wrote:
Thanks man!!

:thumbsup:

_________________
KRG 2C+ Coliseum 1X15 Combo w/EV, Road Case
1982 JCM 800 2204 Monomyth Black Sun Mod
HH M900
Roland SDE 3000 X2
79 1960A w/65s
74 1960A w/GBs
Mesa Standard V30 cab
Mesa Halfback 4x12 w/EV/C90s
Peavey Butcher Cab w/K85s
2009 Charvel USA Candy Plum SoCal
1984 Charvel San Dimas
1985 Ibanez Destroyer


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 12, 2020 11:14am 
Offline
Supah Stah

Joined: Sun, Jul 24, 2011 4:56pm
Posts: 3667
Location: Northern Virginia
Are you human?: 951
Thanks guys.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 12, 2020 4:03pm 
Offline
Supah Stah

Joined: Wed, Sep 02, 2015 12:47pm
Posts: 2656
Are you human?: 951
I think the 4-5k days are over. These days I’m thinking $3-4K. I struggled to sell and original 2C++ for $2,600 2-3 years ago. It wasn’t because the ++ either since Mike can remove it and make it original for like $100.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 12, 2020 4:13pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Sep 27, 2009 2:56am
Posts: 1501
Location: Trapped Under Ice
Are you human?: 951
Your amp is loaded, depending on condition and the tubes that are in it I wouldn't go less than $4k...and rock that bitch while you have it :thumbsup:

_________________
'71 100w Langner Superlead...Cameron tweaked, Cameron approved
Langner DCP-1 Elite preamp w/Hyper mod
'83 JCM 800 2203 Cameron modded
'79 1960B Marshall Cab w/G12M-25 creambacks

Numerous Custom Jackson King V's

Sell me your Jackson KV1T :rawk:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 12, 2020 4:28pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Jan 21, 2009 4:43pm
Posts: 2269
Location: In a room surrounded by Wizards & Mesas
Are you human?: 951
psychodave wrote:
I think the 4-5k days are over. These days I’m thinking $3-4K. I struggled to sell and original 2C++ for $2,600 2-3 years ago. It wasn’t because the ++ either since Mike can remove it and make it original for like $100.



This +1.

$3500 if it is DEAD-MINT... and you get lucky. Gear isn't moving. Even the top shelf vintage stuff is sitting now.

_________________
Excellent transactions with: sjk (S: Soldano SLO 100), glip22 (S: Gibson Historic LP R7), MrPlexi (S: Suhr PT100), Metalhead (S: PRS SC-250 AP), killertone (S: Diezel Herbert), tlingen (S: Engl SE EL34), fuzzyguitars (S: PRS Tremonti Trem & Gibson Historic LP R8), xzyryabx (S: Engl Savage 120), Devilinside (S: Randall Satan), DarkCide: (S: ESP M-II), Mizati20 (S: PV 6505+), bartmcartman (S: Bogner XTC 101B), thaifoo (S: Engl Savage 120), lester (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12), adrenalinejunky (S: Fryette UltraLead), gbsmusic (S: Fender EVH Wolfgang), savant421 (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12 cab), ams2ek (S: Mills Acoustics 4X12 cab), blastcap (S: Gibson Explorer), braciola (S: PV EVH Wolfgang USA), splawner (S: Wampler Plextortion), mhenson42 (S: Celestion V30 speakers), Gsxrbusa (S: Jackson SL2H), El Mariachi (S: Suhr Koko Boost), braintheory (S: Engl SE EL34), ChurchHill (S: Gibson Historic Custom BBR7), RKnight (S: Mesa Mark IV), LunatiBSW (S: Wizard MCII) and many more.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 12, 2020 4:43pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Sep 27, 2009 2:56am
Posts: 1501
Location: Trapped Under Ice
Are you human?: 951
I disagree, gear is moving...and it's not dirt cheap for sure.

_________________
'71 100w Langner Superlead...Cameron tweaked, Cameron approved
Langner DCP-1 Elite preamp w/Hyper mod
'83 JCM 800 2203 Cameron modded
'79 1960B Marshall Cab w/G12M-25 creambacks

Numerous Custom Jackson King V's

Sell me your Jackson KV1T :rawk:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 12, 2020 5:19pm 
Offline
Rock God

Joined: Sun, Mar 25, 2012 6:51pm
Posts: 7943
Location: Wi
Are you human?: 951
Wizard of Ozz wrote:
psychodave wrote:
I think the 4-5k days are over. These days I’m thinking $3-4K. I struggled to sell and original 2C++ for $2,600 2-3 years ago. It wasn’t because the ++ either since Mike can remove it and make it original for like $100.



This +1.

$3500 if it is DEAD-MINT... and you get lucky. Gear isn't moving. Even the top shelf vintage stuff is sitting now.


:lol: :LOL:
18 months ago I sold an upgraded HRG C++ for 3200. A year or a bit less before that, I sold my upgraded SRG C+ for 2600. All you need is patience. Took 2-3 wks but they both sold on Reverb.

The original will fetch more, and the Simuls even more. Coliseums? Haven't even seen one in quite a while; last one I saw listed was for 8K and in Europe. Don't know if it sold. That's pretty steep. But, go find another...less than 90 made. Rarest of the rare.
I do see some silly prices for these amps though. 4K for a non eq upgrade?? Please. I don't care who says this or that about a non GEQ model...they just aren't worth what the EQ models are. Period.

_________________
KRG 2C+ Coliseum 1X15 Combo w/EV, Road Case
1982 JCM 800 2204 Monomyth Black Sun Mod
HH M900
Roland SDE 3000 X2
79 1960A w/65s
74 1960A w/GBs
Mesa Standard V30 cab
Mesa Halfback 4x12 w/EV/C90s
Peavey Butcher Cab w/K85s
2009 Charvel USA Candy Plum SoCal
1984 Charvel San Dimas
1985 Ibanez Destroyer


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 12, 2020 5:35pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Sep 27, 2009 2:56am
Posts: 1501
Location: Trapped Under Ice
Are you human?: 951
You asked for it :thumbsup:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HUUAGYRA7vmj2MLJA
https://photos.app.goo.gl/29N4SSc6pQTC8237A

_________________
'71 100w Langner Superlead...Cameron tweaked, Cameron approved
Langner DCP-1 Elite preamp w/Hyper mod
'83 JCM 800 2203 Cameron modded
'79 1960B Marshall Cab w/G12M-25 creambacks

Numerous Custom Jackson King V's

Sell me your Jackson KV1T :rawk:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 12, 2020 5:43pm 
Offline
Rock God

Joined: Sun, Mar 25, 2012 6:51pm
Posts: 7943
Location: Wi
Are you human?: 951
exo-metal wrote:

:rock:
Now THAT'S some porn.

_________________
KRG 2C+ Coliseum 1X15 Combo w/EV, Road Case
1982 JCM 800 2204 Monomyth Black Sun Mod
HH M900
Roland SDE 3000 X2
79 1960A w/65s
74 1960A w/GBs
Mesa Standard V30 cab
Mesa Halfback 4x12 w/EV/C90s
Peavey Butcher Cab w/K85s
2009 Charvel USA Candy Plum SoCal
1984 Charvel San Dimas
1985 Ibanez Destroyer


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 12, 2020 5:47pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Sep 27, 2009 2:56am
Posts: 1501
Location: Trapped Under Ice
Are you human?: 951
On the master's bench no less. Then ask yourself when is the last time you've ever seen one where all the magic happens :rawk:

_________________
'71 100w Langner Superlead...Cameron tweaked, Cameron approved
Langner DCP-1 Elite preamp w/Hyper mod
'83 JCM 800 2203 Cameron modded
'79 1960B Marshall Cab w/G12M-25 creambacks

Numerous Custom Jackson King V's

Sell me your Jackson KV1T :rawk:


Last edited by exo-metal on Mon, Jan 13, 2020 2:46am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 12, 2020 9:52pm 
Offline
Supah Stah

Joined: Wed, Sep 02, 2015 12:47pm
Posts: 2656
Are you human?: 951
Wizard of Ozz wrote:
psychodave wrote:
I think the 4-5k days are over. These days I’m thinking $3-4K. I struggled to sell and original 2C++ for $2,600 2-3 years ago. It wasn’t because the ++ either since Mike can remove it and make it original for like $100.



This +1.

$3500 if it is DEAD-MINT... and you get lucky. Gear isn't moving. Even the top shelf vintage stuff is sitting now.


Mine was dead mint. Best part I paid $2,000 for it. I paid $2,500 for an upgraded HRG (upgraded in 1984) from his friend. It came loaded with 415’s and was given another quad of new 415’s in a sealed pack. FWIW, I find the HRG with 100 transformer to sound better than the 105.

Having owned a bunch of 2C+’s, I love them, but wouldn’t pay more than $3,000 and that’s stretching it. I’m sticking with my $700 Mark IVa. :lol: :LOL:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 12, 2020 9:56pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Apr 09, 2014 10:11pm
Posts: 473
Location: Western Colorado
Are you human?: 951
Last year I sold my factory RP11 105 DRG that Mike made a ++ for me for about $3800. I sold an upgraded X101 RP10 HRG C++ for $3400, and a factory RP11 105 DR for $3200. All gone through by Mike. Just as some points of comparison.

Remember if yours is original, you're looking at about $400 to have Mike go through it. They all need service at this age. I'd personally put a factory clean DRG RP11 105 short black tolex head around $3200 if it's in great condition/ no obvious issues- and that's being patient for the right buyer.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 12, 2020 10:06pm 
Offline
Supah Stah

Joined: Wed, Sep 02, 2015 12:47pm
Posts: 2656
Are you human?: 951
GJgo wrote:
Last year I sold my factory RP11 105 DRG that Mike made a ++ for me for about $3800. I sold an upgraded X101 RP10 HRG C++ for $3400, and a factory RP11 105 DR for $3200. All gone through by Mike. Just as some points of comparison.

Remember if yours is original, you're looking at about $400 to have Mike go through it. They all need service at this age. I'd personally put a factory clean DRG RP11 105 short black tolex head around $3200 if it's in great condition/ no obvious issues- and that's being patient for the right buyer.


Nice to see Mike charging more these days. I felt bad when he said $125 to mod my first one... it didn’t need a service. Next few I gave him $150.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 12, 2020 10:33pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Apr 09, 2014 10:11pm
Posts: 473
Location: Western Colorado
Are you human?: 951
The SR C+ he just fixed up for me came in just under 4 bills. Prices are going up. He did tell me that he's tired of seeing people flip amps he's fixed up & make a bunch of money on them. To be clear I've never made more than a couple hundred bucks on any of the ones I've sold, and maybe broken even on some others. I still love to fix them up, play them, then release them into the wild so it's worth it to me. Most guys don't want to deal with having them serviced & it doesn't bother me at all so I feel like I'm doing good things finding old Boogies and getting them good as new again!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 12, 2020 10:53pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Sep 27, 2009 2:56am
Posts: 1501
Location: Trapped Under Ice
Are you human?: 951
Let's see it Jeremy, I love my SG++ it plain kills. It is just even and in class A or AB surprisingly I no preference. It packs a punch that no one would believe.

_________________
'71 100w Langner Superlead...Cameron tweaked, Cameron approved
Langner DCP-1 Elite preamp w/Hyper mod
'83 JCM 800 2203 Cameron modded
'79 1960B Marshall Cab w/G12M-25 creambacks

Numerous Custom Jackson King V's

Sell me your Jackson KV1T :rawk:


Last edited by exo-metal on Sun, Jan 12, 2020 11:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 12, 2020 11:05pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Apr 09, 2014 10:11pm
Posts: 473
Location: Western Colorado
Are you human?: 951
The brown truck is delivering it tomorrow!! Will post when I get it. Based on how it sounded before I sent it in odds are good this might be one of my favs.

I sent Mike a check to ++ it but being a no-G he actually talked me out of it. I tend to take his advice. :)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon, Jan 13, 2020 2:52am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Sep 27, 2009 2:56am
Posts: 1501
Location: Trapped Under Ice
Are you human?: 951
Then what did you have him do? You sent it a long way for a reason.

_________________
'71 100w Langner Superlead...Cameron tweaked, Cameron approved
Langner DCP-1 Elite preamp w/Hyper mod
'83 JCM 800 2203 Cameron modded
'79 1960B Marshall Cab w/G12M-25 creambacks

Numerous Custom Jackson King V's

Sell me your Jackson KV1T :rawk:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon, Jan 13, 2020 10:04am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Apr 09, 2014 10:11pm
Posts: 473
Location: Western Colorado
Are you human?: 951
He did a cap job, repaired a failure in the V1 socket, and a long list of other things it needed. It was all original. Resistors out of spec, pot cleaning etc.. He had about 3 hours in it.

I'd have to go count but he's fixed up about 10 old amps for me. Only 1 didn't need anything, a MkIV.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon, Jan 13, 2020 11:45pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Apr 09, 2014 10:11pm
Posts: 473
Location: Western Colorado
Are you human?: 951
The Amp Has Returned!! Mike replaced a LOT of parts in it. And the tone KILLS!! This SR is without question the fastest, tightest, most aggressive of all the IIC+ I've had. Very aggressive. I think it might actually be a little faster & tighter than my IIB+ KRG, which is IMPRESSIVE. At first play I also think it has a killer tone w/o the GEQ- which is saying something for a Mark. I'll play it at band practice tomorrow night & see how it sounds in the mix. That's the real test, and where I've lost enthusiasm on the other C+.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue, Jan 14, 2020 9:14am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Apr 01, 2017 2:36pm
Posts: 776
Location: Athens, Greece
Are you human?: 951
Nice to hear that dude! Clips please!!

_________________
Mesa Boogie Mark III blue stripe simul-class
Suhr LoadBox
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
1983 USA Kramer Pacer
VFE Dragon overdrive
UR 22 sound interface
:rock: :rock: :rock:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ios4ever
https://soundcloud.com/ios4ever


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue, Jan 14, 2020 1:45pm 
Offline
Supah Stah
User avatar

Joined: Fri, Apr 10, 2009 5:59am
Posts: 3617
I remember saying that DRG long heads were going for 5k or more with export transformer and everyone attacked me saying I was out of my mind on that price... now everyone agrees that a DRG non long head is worth 4-5k? :doh:

You can find a non long head fully loaded DRG for 3-4k all day but you have to be patient. Loaded long head, yes different story easy 5k+.

_________________
Gear Porn with no BS http://www.suckerfreegear.com - (Currently Under Construction)
Youtube Page https://www.youtube.com/user/SuckerFreeGear/videos


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue, Jan 14, 2020 2:37pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Sep 27, 2009 2:56am
Posts: 1501
Location: Trapped Under Ice
Are you human?: 951
I wasn't part of that dog pile :thumbsup:

_________________
'71 100w Langner Superlead...Cameron tweaked, Cameron approved
Langner DCP-1 Elite preamp w/Hyper mod
'83 JCM 800 2203 Cameron modded
'79 1960B Marshall Cab w/G12M-25 creambacks

Numerous Custom Jackson King V's

Sell me your Jackson KV1T :rawk:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue, Jan 14, 2020 3:01pm 
Offline
Supah Stah

Joined: Sun, Jul 24, 2011 4:56pm
Posts: 3667
Location: Northern Virginia
Are you human?: 951
EXPcustom wrote:
I remember saying that DRG long heads were going for 5k or more with export transformer and everyone attacked me saying I was out of my mind on that price... now everyone agrees that a DRG non long head is worth 4-5k? :doh:

You can find a non long head fully loaded DRG for 3-4k all day but you have to be patient. Loaded long head, yes different story easy 5k+.


I've been looking around for the last few months, and I haven't even seen a DRG with the 105PT that's legitimately for sale. But the upgraded IIC DRGs with the 100PT seem to be listed for between 3-4K. Not sure what they're selling for.

For the record, the 100PT sounds great. I have a Mark III that ended up with one somehow. Wonderful sounding amp.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue, Jan 14, 2020 4:14pm 
Offline
Supah Stah

Joined: Wed, Sep 02, 2015 12:47pm
Posts: 2656
Are you human?: 951
On a side note, a friend of mine owned every 2C+, ++ available. Coli’s, long head, short head, etc. He now owns a Mark III++ with 105 transformer and pentode/triode switch and few other mods. His Mark III sounded every bit as good as the 2C+’s, and personally feel it sounded better in most aspects.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue, Jan 14, 2020 4:36pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Jan 21, 2009 4:43pm
Posts: 2269
Location: In a room surrounded by Wizards & Mesas
Are you human?: 951
psychodave wrote:
On a side note, a friend of mine owned every 2C+, ++ available. Coli’s, long head, short head, etc. He now owns a Mark III++ with 105 transformer and pentode/triode switch and few other mods. His Mark III sounded every bit as good as the 2C+’s, and personally feel it sounded better in most aspects.



There you go again with your common-sensical level headed talk again. Stop! A MKIII better than the mythical MKIIC+... HERESY I SAY!

Well maybe that explains why I own bunch more modified MKIIIs and only 2 MKIIC++ amps... hmmm... :confused: :D

_________________
Excellent transactions with: sjk (S: Soldano SLO 100), glip22 (S: Gibson Historic LP R7), MrPlexi (S: Suhr PT100), Metalhead (S: PRS SC-250 AP), killertone (S: Diezel Herbert), tlingen (S: Engl SE EL34), fuzzyguitars (S: PRS Tremonti Trem & Gibson Historic LP R8), xzyryabx (S: Engl Savage 120), Devilinside (S: Randall Satan), DarkCide: (S: ESP M-II), Mizati20 (S: PV 6505+), bartmcartman (S: Bogner XTC 101B), thaifoo (S: Engl Savage 120), lester (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12), adrenalinejunky (S: Fryette UltraLead), gbsmusic (S: Fender EVH Wolfgang), savant421 (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12 cab), ams2ek (S: Mills Acoustics 4X12 cab), blastcap (S: Gibson Explorer), braciola (S: PV EVH Wolfgang USA), splawner (S: Wampler Plextortion), mhenson42 (S: Celestion V30 speakers), Gsxrbusa (S: Jackson SL2H), El Mariachi (S: Suhr Koko Boost), braintheory (S: Engl SE EL34), ChurchHill (S: Gibson Historic Custom BBR7), RKnight (S: Mesa Mark IV), LunatiBSW (S: Wizard MCII) and many more.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue, Jan 14, 2020 5:50pm 
Offline
Rock God

Joined: Sun, Mar 25, 2012 6:51pm
Posts: 7943
Location: Wi
Are you human?: 951
Wizard of Ozz wrote:
psychodave wrote:
On a side note, a friend of mine owned every 2C+, ++ available. Coli’s, long head, short head, etc. He now owns a Mark III++ with 105 transformer and pentode/triode switch and few other mods. His Mark III sounded every bit as good as the 2C+’s, and personally feel it sounded better in most aspects.



There you go again with your common-sensical level headed talk again. Stop! A MKIII better than the mythical MKIIC+... HERESY I SAY!

Well maybe that explains why I own bunch more modified MKIIIs and only 2 MKIIC++ amps... hmmm... :confused: :D

:confused:
Sure, sun shines on a dog's ass every once in a while. I've owned 2 Mark IIIs(Purple, Red), 3 2B Coliseums(one with a loop mod) and the difference in tone between ALL those amps vs ANY of the C+s I've owned was huge. Like taking a blanket off the speakers huge. I'm sure there are some gems out there in non 2C+ land but every one of the 4 C+s I've owned would destroy any of the others in EVERY category. Not even close.

Now, Braintheory has a no stripe Mark III Coliseum that he likes more than his HRG C+. Of course, all the Coliseum power sections are pretty much identical from inception according to Mike B, with some filtering changes.

Btw, the 2 Mk IIIs I owned were Simulclass and loaded with 415s.
Go figure.

_________________
KRG 2C+ Coliseum 1X15 Combo w/EV, Road Case
1982 JCM 800 2204 Monomyth Black Sun Mod
HH M900
Roland SDE 3000 X2
79 1960A w/65s
74 1960A w/GBs
Mesa Standard V30 cab
Mesa Halfback 4x12 w/EV/C90s
Peavey Butcher Cab w/K85s
2009 Charvel USA Candy Plum SoCal
1984 Charvel San Dimas
1985 Ibanez Destroyer


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue, Jan 14, 2020 5:55pm 
Offline
Rock God

Joined: Sun, Mar 25, 2012 6:51pm
Posts: 7943
Location: Wi
Are you human?: 951
EXPcustom wrote:
I remember saying that DRG long heads were going for 5k or more with export transformer and everyone attacked me saying I was out of my mind on that price... now everyone agrees that a DRG non long head is worth 4-5k? :doh:

You can find a non long head fully loaded DRG for 3-4k all day but you have to be patient. Loaded long head, yes different story easy 5k+.

:confused:
You asserted that a long head original DRG sounded better than an upgraded short head. I say that the differences that exist are the normal differences between any 2 of the same make/model amps. The dreaded original vs upgrade argument. I have owned one original, and 3 upgrades. The 'worst' sounding? The original. Still a killer amp though.
I do agree with you that an original will ALWAYS fetch more cash than any upgrade. Just the way it is.

_________________
KRG 2C+ Coliseum 1X15 Combo w/EV, Road Case
1982 JCM 800 2204 Monomyth Black Sun Mod
HH M900
Roland SDE 3000 X2
79 1960A w/65s
74 1960A w/GBs
Mesa Standard V30 cab
Mesa Halfback 4x12 w/EV/C90s
Peavey Butcher Cab w/K85s
2009 Charvel USA Candy Plum SoCal
1984 Charvel San Dimas
1985 Ibanez Destroyer


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue, Jan 14, 2020 6:07pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker

Joined: Tue, Aug 13, 2013 5:50pm
Posts: 1436
Location: NYC
Are you human?: 951
Racerxrated wrote:
Wizard of Ozz wrote:
psychodave wrote:
On a side note, a friend of mine owned every 2C+, ++ available. Coli’s, long head, short head, etc. He now owns a Mark III++ with 105 transformer and pentode/triode switch and few other mods. His Mark III sounded every bit as good as the 2C+’s, and personally feel it sounded better in most aspects.



There you go again with your common-sensical level headed talk again. Stop! A MKIII better than the mythical MKIIC+... HERESY I SAY!

Well maybe that explains why I own bunch more modified MKIIIs and only 2 MKIIC++ amps... hmmm... :confused: :D

:confused:
Sure, sun shines on a dog's ass every once in a while. I've owned 2 Mark IIIs(Purple, Red), 3 2B Coliseums(one with a loop mod) and the difference in tone between ALL those amps vs ANY of the C+s I've owned was huge. Like taking a blanket off the speakers huge. I'm sure there are some gems out there in non 2C+ land but every one of the 4 C+s I've owned would destroy any of the others in EVERY category. Not even close.

Now, Braintheory has a no stripe Mark III Coliseum that he likes more than his HRG C+. Of course, all the Coliseum power sections are pretty much identical from inception according to Mike B, with some filtering changes.

Btw, the 2 Mk IIIs I owned were Simulclass and loaded with 415s.
Go figure.

From my experience the red, blue, or purple stripe aren’t gonna cut it you’re looking for what the iic+ does tonally (even with the c+ mod), but they’re still very cool amps in other ways like the blue’s bite and tightness compared to a c+. Just a bit different flavors to the iic+

That no stripe coli I have sounded very very close to my c+ hrg when AB’ed even before I sent it to Mike B for the mod and now to my ears it has literally everything I hear and love about my c+ hrg, but with the added horsepower and beefiness of the coli and the ++ option when desired. I’ve not tried other early no stripe/black stripe mark iii’s, but I’d bet others would sound very similar if not the same to how mine did stock

It’s definitely my favorite of any Boogie I’ve tried by a good margin and I’ve tried a few other c+’s

_________________
Ampeg Gemini II
Bluguitar amp1 (for sale)
Cameron Aldrich/Jose/Plexi 3-channel modded 1978 Marshall SLP 100
Cameron CCV
1997 Diezel VH4 Blueface
1964 Fender Vibroverb
2018 Gjika 10N
1981 Hiwatt DR103
2019 Homestead HS100 (for sale)
1980 Jim Kelley
1979 Marshall JMP2203
McIntyre Bluesmaker (for sale)
Mesa/Boogie Mark iic+ HRG combo
Mesa/Boogie Mark iii++ coliseum (blue stripe)
Mesa/Boogie Mark iii++ coliseum (blue stripe)
Mesa/Boogie Mark iii++ coliseum (no stripe)
1986 Randall RG100ES
2001 Savage Blitz (for sale)
Vox AC15 clone (x2)
2016 Wizard MTL


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue, Jan 14, 2020 6:46pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Sep 27, 2009 2:56am
Posts: 1501
Location: Trapped Under Ice
Are you human?: 951
Is this the one you mentioned selling to me?

_________________
'71 100w Langner Superlead...Cameron tweaked, Cameron approved
Langner DCP-1 Elite preamp w/Hyper mod
'83 JCM 800 2203 Cameron modded
'79 1960B Marshall Cab w/G12M-25 creambacks

Numerous Custom Jackson King V's

Sell me your Jackson KV1T :rawk:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue, Jan 14, 2020 11:26pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Apr 09, 2014 10:11pm
Posts: 473
Location: Western Colorado
Are you human?: 951
Ok pricing gurus. So I got this SR IIC+ back from Mesa as mentioned & it rips. Tight as a frog's ass, fast as a Ferrari and very minimal mid hump compared to most Marks, almost like Mike tweaked something for me. There are a lot of differences even amp to amp, and I can tell you this is a good one. So what would you guys put the value at? Do you add value for the fact that it just got a fresh Mike B. service? Do you add value because someone who has owned a whole bunch of these says "this is a really good one"?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed, Jan 15, 2020 7:25am 
Offline
Supah Stah

Joined: Wed, Sep 02, 2015 12:47pm
Posts: 2656
Are you human?: 951
GJgo wrote:
Ok pricing gurus. So I got this SR IIC+ back from Mesa as mentioned & it rips. Tight as a frog's ass, fast as a Ferrari and very minimal mid hump compared to most Marks, almost like Mike tweaked something for me. There are a lot of differences even amp to amp, and I can tell you this is a good one. So what would you guys put the value at? Do you add value for the fact that it just got a fresh Mike B. service? Do you add value because someone who has owned a whole bunch of these says "this is a really good one"?


I always add a little to the value when the amp has been properly serviced... especially by Mesa Boogie and the same guy that’s been doing it for decades. The amp is 95% like new.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed, Jan 15, 2020 9:11am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Apr 09, 2014 10:11pm
Posts: 473
Location: Western Colorado
Are you human?: 951
I posted a video in my thread about this C+ SR amp, hop over there & check it out so we don't derail this thread about values. I'll probably sell it because that's what I do so still interested in hearing what you guys would peg it at.

https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=208116


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Jan 16, 2020 12:32pm 
Offline
Apprentice NOOB

Joined: Thu, Nov 14, 2013 9:58am
Posts: 139
Are you human?: 951
I'd say 2.5k to 3.5k $ range is fair nowadays. At least that's what I've paid in the past and would be willing to pay now. You also often see "less desirable" versions (no eq etc) go for 2k or under.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Jan 16, 2020 12:56pm 
Offline
Supah Stah
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Aug 27, 2016 2:38pm
Posts: 2711
Location: Out of my mind
Are you human?: 951
psychodave wrote:
GJgo wrote:
Ok pricing gurus. So I got this SR IIC+ back from Mesa as mentioned & it rips. Tight as a frog's ass, fast as a Ferrari and very minimal mid hump compared to most Marks, almost like Mike tweaked something for me. There are a lot of differences even amp to amp, and I can tell you this is a good one. So what would you guys put the value at? Do you add value for the fact that it just got a fresh Mike B. service? Do you add value because someone who has owned a whole bunch of these says "this is a really good one"?


I always add a little to the value when the amp has been properly serviced... especially by Mesa Boogie and the same guy that’s been doing it for decades. The amp is 95% like new.


I wouldn't consider filter cap replacement, pot cleaning, jack cleaning, new tubes etc. justification to call an amp 95% like new. Sure it's less likely to cause issues, but there's still a shit ton of components in one of these amps that never get touched I would assume (maybe I'm wrong here).

I would however agree that the value of a Mesa serviced amp is justified with a higher asking price.

_________________
Good transactions with:
tonesfoyobones, Emg77, napalmdeath, John4021, magh8, misterspockyall, Racerxrated, BrokenRomeo, jco5055, harddriver, Hey_bert_whtcha_doin_bert, Tuckerbomb, krueger, ibzprestige, journeyman73, JerEvil, apophis(x2), DragonCrestPC, hammered(x3), Hardvalve, lowmantotempole, Mailman1971(x2), FLYINRYAN11, bwgintegra


"Give me liberty, or give me Death" Patrick Henry


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Jan 16, 2020 2:49pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Sep 27, 2009 2:56am
Posts: 1501
Location: Trapped Under Ice
Are you human?: 951
Really?

_________________
'71 100w Langner Superlead...Cameron tweaked, Cameron approved
Langner DCP-1 Elite preamp w/Hyper mod
'83 JCM 800 2203 Cameron modded
'79 1960B Marshall Cab w/G12M-25 creambacks

Numerous Custom Jackson King V's

Sell me your Jackson KV1T :rawk:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Jan 16, 2020 3:17pm 
Offline
Supah Stah

Joined: Sun, Jul 24, 2011 4:56pm
Posts: 3667
Location: Northern Virginia
Are you human?: 951
Ratou wrote:
I'd say 2.5k to 3.5k $ range is fair nowadays. At least that's what I've paid in the past and would be willing to pay now. You also often see "less desirable" versions (no eq etc) go for 2k or under.


I've been watching the last few months, and I haven't seen even an upgraded non-GEG 60 watt C+ go for under $2k. It is entirely possible that they have sold for that amount and I just haven't seen the listing, but I have been keeping an eye out.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Jan 16, 2020 11:41pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Apr 09, 2014 10:11pm
Posts: 473
Location: Western Colorado
Are you human?: 951
Mike sends you back the baggie with all the removed parts. In this case in addition to all the caps were a ton of resistors, pot guts, other things as well. He makes it right. If I were buying I'd put 0 value on any maintenance unless it was done by Mike.

I'll probably ask $2400 shipped for this SR as a combo since it's a factory original with the RP11 preamp, and it RIPS. If a guy wanted a head I have a guy who makes them to spec and that could be worked out as well.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri, Jan 17, 2020 11:07am 
Offline
Apprentice NOOB

Joined: Thu, Nov 14, 2013 9:58am
Posts: 139
Are you human?: 951
cardinal wrote:
Ratou wrote:
I'd say 2.5k to 3.5k $ range is fair nowadays. At least that's what I've paid in the past and would be willing to pay now. You also often see "less desirable" versions (no eq etc) go for 2k or under.


I've been watching the last few months, and I haven't seen even an upgraded non-GEG 60 watt C+ go for under $2k. It is entirely possible that they have sold for that amount and I just haven't seen the listing, but I have been keeping an eye out.


yeah agreed that you won't always see them listed at these prices, especially on widely accessible platforms such as ebay and reverb. Would also think that the ones on ebay etc actually sell for less than initially listed price. I've had better luck on forums and local websites (craigslist) where I've seen in the past 6 months a few IIc+s in 2.5k range. I bought an original IIC+ HRG with 4 sylvanias for 2.6 on here and saw a couple other at same price


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dave L, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 22 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group - Terms of Use