Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Wed, Jan 22, 2020 4:30am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 15, 2020 11:38pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Are you human?: 951
Hello all, so I'm thinking of selling my 1998 Gibson Les Paul Special that has a Dimarzio super distortion p90 in the bridge and factory Gibson p100 pickup in the neck and using the funds to go towards another electric guitar as I'm trying to get the miles off my MIK Epiphone Les Paul Custom that's in my sig and maybe going for something lighter as my Epiphone weighs a ton and takes a toll on my back! I'm trying to stay on a budget below $1,500 if possible and I've even been looking at guitars in the $400 on up range.

I've been looking around online a lot and watching Youtube videos and reviews for some time, it's very hard for me to get to a music store like Guitar Center in Fairlawn, OH for example which is the closest to me, due to my work schedule. I'm in a classic/hard rock cover band and we play 70's/80's classic rock/hard rock in standard E tuning and are a 2 guitarist band. My primary Live rig right now is EVH 5150 III 50 Watt V2 6L6 head thru my Marshall 1960A w/2 WGS Retro 30's and stock celestion g12t75's in xpattern with my pedalboard: Korg Pitchblack tuner, ZOOM MS-70CDR and ModTone Clean Boost. As we are doing more shows, the EVH rig will be for live shows and right now my other guitarist is letting me use his Blackstar HT5R 1x12 Combo running through the matching Blackstar 1x12 cab and my aforementioned pedalboard is running through the effects loop.

Anyone have any suggestions or input? Thank you

2019 EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head 6L6
1995 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb converted to Head
Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 cab (factory Vintage 30's) converted to closed back
Marshall 1960A 4x12 (2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's X patterned
Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 16, 2020 12:02am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I'd get a superstrat or if you want to say on the more classic side maybe an SG as it is pretty light compared to an LP.

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 16, 2020 6:26am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

To me, an Hss or Hsh superstrat cover all the bases (no floyds for quick tuning changes). Pick your brand, but I'm partial to Charvels these days.

You might also be able to find a used PRS DGT, very versatile,

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 16, 2020 8:28am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Look for a uaed MIJ Jackson DKMGT or the equivalent with passives. MIJ Jacksons are a gem for the money they go for. $250-300 can land you a beast.

Rivera K100, K-TRE. Musicman 100RD.
Mesa:, mkIV, Tremoverb, Subway Blues, .22 GEQ.
Fender: 64 Bandmaster, 67 Bandmaster, 68 Bassman, 72 Bassman, 70 Twin Reverb, BF Concert 4x10".
BUILDS: 5F1, JTM45, 1974x
WORK/BUILDS IN PROCESS/
INTENSELY MODDING:
AB165. AA763 Bandmaster.

Good deals with: napalmdeath

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 16, 2020 10:17am 
Rock God

You could find a nice used Tom Anderson for about $1,500. It would fit the bill for a cover band as they are extremely versatile.

Kemper Profiling Amp
Atomic CLR Wedge
Bogner Oversized 2x12
3rd Power Kitchen Sink 1x12

Guitars:
Anderson Drop Top, Short T Classic, Bulldog, Pro Am, Classic S

My Clips:

http://soundcloud.com/gibson5413
http://www.youtube.com/user/scarem84604
http://www.tonefinder.com/?value=gibson5413

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 16, 2020 1:10pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

jski59 wrote:
To me, an Hss or Hsh superstrat cover all the bases (no floyds for quick tuning changes). Pick your brand, but I'm partial to Charvels these days.

You might also be able to find a used PRS DGT, very versatile,

You might want to keep your modified Gibson Les Paul Special and budget some money for a different type of guitar. I like P-90 equipped guitars and single coil Strats & Teles. The HSS or HSH super Strat guitar with or without the Floyd Rose tremolo bridge would be my suggestion as well and I like the new Charvel guitars especially the Pro Mod, but would mod the pickguard to my specs. I've never got to play an actual PRS DGT guitar yet so I can't comment on the price/sound/feel of that guitar or how it would sound with your amp/effects rig for your cover band.

Concerning your amp/effects rig, I like the EVH 50 watt 6L6 amp head, but you may find the 4x12 cab to be too big & loud for your cover band gigs unless you're playing a big stage. A 1x12 or 2x12 closed back guitar cab that takes up less stage space and having a lower stage volume would be a better set up without having to buy a new amp or sizing down to a 1x12 guitar combo amp for set up/portability while still using your current effects rig would work. At the end of the day, if it works for your cover band that you're in and your bandmates are happy with your playing style & sound without being loud & having the right sounds for your set list, then it's all worth the effort.

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 16, 2020 1:41pm 
Apprentice NOOB

I second the DGT, a workhorse of a guitar. Failing that try and find a prs brent mason or if you don’t like prs have a look at a used music man Luke 3.

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 16, 2020 1:51pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

swamptrashstompboxes wrote:
Look for a uaed MIJ Jackson DKMGT or the equivalent with passives. MIJ Jacksons are a gem for the money they go for. $250-300 can land you a beast.

yep I would second this, and for the price you can pick them up for you could get a couple (always good to have more guitars haha)...just make sure you can get the neck specs though as I have found they can be quite different. I have 2 rhoads dkmgt from the same year and the necks are completely different, one is "baseball" like with a flat back and the other is thin and slick :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 16, 2020 4:16pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

sytharnia1560 wrote:

yep I would second this, and for the price you can pick them up for you could get a couple (always good to have more guitars haha)...just make sure you can get the neck specs though as I have found they can be quite different. I have 2 rhoads dkmgt from the same year and the necks are completely different, one is "baseball" like with a flat back and the other is thin and slick :lol: :LOL:

I own at least five MIJ Jacksons. I don't think I ever paid over $250 for one. EMG 81/85 or JB/Jazz. Four got gotoh Floyd's at $120 a pop and they slaughter. Hard to beat. I like my main MIJ Jackson's with Gotoh Floyds over my Ibanez Prestiges at a lower cost all said and done.

Ibanez Prestige is a great deal too. They are easy to find for $500-$600 and can kick ass, but the hardtails are harder to find and generally cost more. Also Ibanez branded pickups generally suck. I stay with the 3___×series mainly except for one 2570 that now has a DiMarzio CL/LQ in it, which I love.

Two solid bets for me.

Fender: 64 Bandmaster, 67 Bandmaster, 68 Bassman, 72 Bassman, 70 Twin Reverb, BF Concert 4x10".
WORK/BUILDS IN PROCESS/
INTENSELY MODDING:
AB165. AA763 Bandmaster.

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 18, 2020 10:03pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Also, me and the other guitarist both do rhythm and leads. My other guitarist also usually does anything requiring whammy but I'm not 100% opposed to doing anything requiring whammy. He also uses newer Ibanez Premium JEM's (I'm pretty sure he has all of them in the Premium JEM series! He loves them!) through Line 6 Relay G55 (Live) then into the newest version of the Marshall DSL100 head through a Bugera slant 4x12 with a mix of Celestions Vintage 30's and G12K100's through a Line 6 POD HD500 for just effects.

2019 EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head 6L6
1995 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb converted to Head
Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 cab (factory Vintage 30's) converted to closed back
Marshall 1960A 4x12 (2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's X patterned
Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 18, 2020 10:10pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Four got gotoh Floyd's at $120 a pop and they slaughter. Hard to beat. I like my main MIJ Jackson's with Gotoh Floyds over my Ibanez Prestiges at a lower cost all said and done.

I can attest the fact that Gotoh Floyds are amazing. I have one in my partscaster and it is the best floyd that i've ever played. I just wonder that why most of the manufacturers haven't switched to them yet.

And yes, MIJ Jacksons are great.

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 18, 2020 10:29pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Thunkful wrote:
Four got gotoh Floyd's at $120 a pop and they slaughter. Hard to beat. I like my main MIJ Jackson's with Gotoh Floyds over my Ibanez Prestiges at a lower cost all said and done.

I can attest the fact that Gotoh Floyds are amazing. I have one in my partscaster and it is the best floyd that i've ever played. I just wonder that why most of the manufacturers haven't switched to them yet.

And yes, MIJ Jacksons are great.

I can hammer the shit out of my gotohs for three hours and not need to tune. I prefer Schaller's Floyd feel though TBH. I Have one in my Eclipse and one in a Charvel.

IMO the Premium Ibanez are far off of the quality of the Prestige. Try one and see what you think. For me it was blatently appearant.

WORK/BUILDS IN PROCESS/
INTENSELY MODDING:
AB165. AA763 Bandmaster.

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 20, 2020 9:30am 
Journeyman NOOB

I played in a cover band for about 15 years. After my second lower back surgery I switched to Peavey Wolfgangs because of the weight. Mostly played the stop tail models either a special or standard. I also used IEM's and ran direct from a GSP1101 :) We covered everything from 60's-current with a 3 piece and no tracks.

Personal Web page