Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Sat, Apr 04, 2020 4:19pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: MCII 34 vs KT
PostPosted: Wed, Jan 22, 2020 1:47am 
Apprentice NOOB

Are you human?: 951
I am deeply interested getting an MCII in the near future. I had the pleasure to play one with EL34s and it was absoluty awesome.
Over here in Europe, Wizards are rare. I might be able to get my hands on a KT88 version. However, there's almost no chance to get an A/B comparison.
I need to rely on the forum to get first hand opinions. Rick himself says, the tubes are not interchangable and the transformer are not the same.
I am sure the MCIIKT sounds awesome. But will it have the Marshall vibe going on? Getting a MCII should be my definite purchase for briitsh crunch.
Has anyone heard both side by side?

Post subject: Re: MCII 34 vs KT
PostPosted: Wed, Jan 22, 2020 11:08am 
Supah Stah

I own both versions. The KT88 version has a bigger, tighter bottom end, more mids and overall a little warmer. There’s a second, unlabeled pull boost on the rhythm channel of my KT88 amp. Supposedly called the Black Cat mod. Give the channel petty much as much gain as the lead channel. My KT88 is a 2018 and the e34L is a 2015. I don’t know if that mid is on all the amps now.

I can dial them fairly close in sound. But the KT88 has a little more punch.

Cabs: Wizard/Fryette

Great Transactions - Click Here:
http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=64423

Ineptocracy - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 22, 2020 11:21am 
Apprentice NOOB

Hello, this is of excellent help. While I am at it:
Would you mind comparing the KT88 to your Fryette (I own the UL) and the Fortin you own.

But sounds as if getting a KT version not a no-go for Crunch, too.

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 22, 2020 11:27am 
Supah Stah

The KT88 has thicker mids the the e34L, but if you dial back a little, you can get them similar.

The Wizards and the UL have a lot of similarities. Probably why I love them both. The Wizards are more clear in the gain, tighter and more punch/percussiveness on the low end. The UL can get more modern sounding and has more tonal variation due to the EQ.

The Fortin is supper tight as well, but more saturated and more compression. It’s 50w power section doesn’t stand up to the UL or the Wizards in terms of balls/punch but it does pretty well.

Cabs: Wizard/Fryette

Great Transactions - Click Here:
http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=64423

Ineptocracy - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 26, 2020 5:50pm 
Apprentice NOOB

Is there more information on the KT models? The website's really vague and I've yet to get a coherent answer from wizard themselves, KT200, KT150, KT120, what? Are they some sort of custom order amps with the huge newer KT tubes in them and what's pricing like? All that's listed is their weight.

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 26, 2020 6:39pm 
Apprentice NOOB

Yeah, that's why I asked here. Actually, there are as good as no details.
I know that the KT series offer different transfomers and that the valves cannot be changed to EL34 from the KT version which seem to be compatible to KT88 (stock) and KT120.
But I know nothing about different voicings, prices, possible different features etc.
Good luck we have at least someone that owns both versions. It would be as good as impossible to find a dealer that can offer that experience.