Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Tue, Jun 02, 2020 8:37am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri, May 22, 2020 9:38pm 
Supah Stah

With the quarantine, figured I'd get a random conversation rolling to see what comes up. LOL

Mine was Bon Jovi in Hawaii in 2010. My daughter actually fell asleep in her chair. The only thing that woke her was when "Living on a Prayer" came on and she heard the talk box. It was like seeing Neil Diamond or something, boring as hell.

Richie Sambora was still with them and the stage setup pissed me off from the first song. It was Jon out front (obviously) and then Richie was back a ways with a bit less light on him and then the rest of the band was setup like a backup band for Frank Sinatra or something with low lighting. I started listening to Bon Jovi with 7800 Fahrenheit and the other guys were on that album. Annoyed me so much to see them back like that.

PostPosted: Sat, May 23, 2020 12:18am 
Hack

Are you human?: 951
Relative to expectations, Ozzy in 2007.

It was like the bare minimum. He did the four Blizzard of Ozz songs he does at every concert, the three No More Tears songs he does at every concert, three songs off his new (at the time) album, Bark at the Moon, Fire in the Sky (which was the only surprise of the night) and Paranoid.

It's like he did the shortest concert he possibly could, and he didn't sound very good. Rob Zombie opened and smoked him.

But the next time he came around he did a two and a half hour show and it was one of the most amazing concerts I've ever seen. Six Sabbath songs, six Randy songs, three Jake songs, four Zakk songs and just one new tune.

Never know what you'll get with the Ozzman.

PostPosted: Sat, May 23, 2020 12:44am 
Supah Stah

Lynch Mob on the Re-evolution tour when George was in the throws of his Nu-Metal addiction. Fucking terrible show.

PostPosted: Sat, May 23, 2020 7:48am 
Plank Cranker

Ozzy around 91-92 in Hawaii - came out and did like 3 songs, sounded like crap, left the stage and Aldridge did like a 20 minute drum solo- came back out and made some utterances on top of the music for awhile and called it a night....it blew

PostPosted: Sat, May 23, 2020 7:56am 
Plank Cranker

We opened for saliva a couple of years ago.

PostPosted: Sat, May 23, 2020 8:14am 
Plank Cranker

Smashmouth. I wasn't a fan anyway and they played an outdoor show with 2 Skinny J's and the mighty mighty Bosstones, Run DMC, and Cracker.

I was a Run Dmc fan besides Walk this Way(I hate Aerosmith) and I really liked 2 skinny J's and the Bosstones back then too.

Smashmouth was kinda getting big and I hated them from the start but their music was a lot of studio magic instead of talent. I think the singer could barely catch his breath and sat down most of the show. If you cant stand for a 30 minute set you have issues. I didnt know any of their songs except the songs they played on the radio constantly and when they played those I couldn't recognize them.

Cracker on the other hand was absolutely amazing. I wasn't really a fan at time but was when I left. I was kinda blown away by them. Seen them a couple times after and really enjoyed them but they had some serious mojo that night

2204 Black Sun modded

PostPosted: Sat, May 23, 2020 8:17am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I saw DIO about 15 years ago with Doug Aldrich. It was the last show of the tour and they were done, no encore or Rainbow in the dark, they went through the motions and left. I saw him again a few months later with Craig Goldy, it was their first show of the tour. They did three encores and fucking ruled!

I saw Andy Alldort "plays Hendrix" OMG baaaaaaad!

PostPosted: Sat, May 23, 2020 8:20am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

GreatRedDragon wrote:
Relative to expectations, Ozzy in 2007.

It was like the bare minimum. He did the four Blizzard of Ozz songs he does at every concert, the three No More Tears songs he does at every concert, three songs off his new (at the time) album, Bark at the Moon, Fire in the Sky (which was the only surprise of the night) and Paranoid.

It's like he did the shortest concert he possibly could, and he didn't sound very good. Rob Zombie opened and smoked him.

Was that in Minneapolis by chance? The one and only time I've seen Ozzy was in 2007, and you described it exactly. He seemed tired, glued to his teleprompters. Bare minimum, no encore. Zakk was the highlight of Ozzy's set, otherwise Rob Zombie put on a helluva a show. Ozzy should have been the opener.

Reverend Manta Ray HB
Ibanez Ar2619 Prestige
Hagstrom Super Viking
Ibanez S540 ('88)
Carvin Bolt
Randall 667
Fractal Axe-FX III
Egnater/Mojotone/ADA cabs

Last edited by boyedav on Sat, May 23, 2020 1:31pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat, May 23, 2020 8:59am 
Supah Stah

Markedman wrote:
I saw DIO about 15 years ago with Doug Aldrich. It was the last show of the tour and they were done, no encore or Rainbow in the dark, they went through the motions and left. I saw him again a few months later with Craig Goldy, it was their first show of the tour. They did three encores and fucking ruled!

I saw Andy Alldort "plays Hendrix" OMG baaaaaaad!

Wow that blows me away but I guess being last show of the tour, probably makes sense.

PostPosted: Sat, May 23, 2020 9:35am 
Immortal Rock God

One of the worst sounding was Whitesnake with Vai and Vandenburg. Sounded like they were playing through a giant pillow, everything was muffled, sounded like shit. And all the gay prancing around onstage was just a bit much. When Sykes left he took the sound of the band with him.

http://soundcloud.com/danieldowning

PostPosted: Sat, May 23, 2020 9:48am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

mastadon, complete shit sound, sloppy playing not a good thing to say about it...

PostPosted: Sat, May 23, 2020 10:02am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

romanianreaper wrote:
It was like seeing Neil Diamond or something, boring as hell.

you definitely havent seen neil live, he rips :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Sat, May 23, 2020 10:16am 
Supah Stah

I'd have to say Dream Theater opening for someone I forget. I was psyched to hear Petrucci. He had his massive Mesa rig, but it sounded like a shitty muffled mess. It was an outdoor show, so maybe that didn't help but is was pretty boring and sounded like crap.

PostPosted: Sat, May 23, 2020 12:02pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Smashing Pumpkins at Montreal’s Summersault back in 2000. They were the headliners, every other band that played before them where great. But when there time came. The technician teams turned off the front projectors and started to take them appart. We spent the whole show literally whatching shadows singing. A clone of Cogan could have been used. And no one would have ever known. Plus they butchered Bullet with butterfly wings. What a disappointment.

Radiohead in 2012. The sound was just terrible. And then and was lifeless on stage. First time I ever left a show before the end.

PostPosted: Sat, May 23, 2020 12:18pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

hstlaurent wrote:
Smashing Pumpkins at Montreal’s Summersault back in 2000.

i love smashing pumpkins but every video ive seen of them live has been awful which scared me off from seeing them, same with soundgarden and deftones.

PostPosted: Sat, May 23, 2020 12:54pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

97 or 98 i forget metallica concert. They just werent on point and it felt like they had no energy. And I remember being extremely disappointed at the accostic set for about 3-4 of the songs.

PostPosted: Sat, May 23, 2020 12:55pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Ohh almost forgot, iron maiden with blaze was pretty bad as well.

PostPosted: Sat, May 23, 2020 1:35pm 
Apprentice NOOB

Manowar, boring as hell

Musicman BFR JP7 balboa blue burst
Ibanez J-Custom 8470BX
Ibanez Prestige RGT320QRRB
Mesa Triaxis
Mesa 2:Fifty
2 Mesa 2x12 vertical cabs
Axe Fx Ultra
RJM MMGT16

PostPosted: Sat, May 23, 2020 2:09pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Deep Purple, late 80s or early 90s. Jon Lord’s organ was not working for most of the show, it was very Spinal Tap. He kept playing without any amplification.

PostPosted: Sat, May 23, 2020 2:20pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Machine Head on their Burning Red tour. When they walked out Rob had a slow, drunken swagger and that set the tone for the performance. They played everything at what seemed like 3/4 speed and with the exception of their bassist no one had much energy. Rob was playing pretty sloppy as well. It was very disappointing performance.

PostPosted: Sat, May 23, 2020 2:26pm 
Plank Cranker

90-91 The Cult/Metallica

Ian Ashbury was completely Smacked out, could barely stand up.
I also remember Metallica restarting One, never have witnessed that before or since.

Most recently Bad Company had hired Rich Robinson to fill in for an ailing Mick Ralphs and he was terrible. Playing incorrect rhythms and I mean way off throughout the show. I was flabbergasted at how bad he was.

PostPosted: Sat, May 23, 2020 3:03pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

That would be the infamous Creed final show in Chicago where Scott Stapp had a complete breakdown on the stage. My girlfriend who was a nurse said... "it won't be long now" when she saw that he came out barefoot on stage. She said alot of crazy people remove their shoes just prior to a complete meltdown.

Yepp, he wrapped himself in a towel and sat on the drumriser mumbling to the crowd, Tremonti wanted to kill him. They wisked him off the stage and that was that..... no more show. There was a class action lawsuit over that show.

PostPosted: Sat, May 23, 2020 4:52pm 
Rock God

Two come to mind:

Kiss at rock fest in Cadott, WI. I believe it was 2006.
I was expecting a killer show and it was a let down in every way possible. Just terrible...must’ve been an off night... for the band and the sound guy, and whoever was controlling the pyro, and okay you get the point. Awful.

The other one was blink-182. I’m not a fan so I wasn’t expecting much anyway. I tagged along with some buddies and I was somewhat excited to see Green Day who I used to enjoy and at least knew I’d get some killer modded Marshall tones from.

Blink was pathetic. It’s probably not fair judging as someone who’s not a fan but I remember almost falling asleep and just wondering why they were so popular. The sound was bad so that didn’t help, and the performance was just meh. Play a song, make a fart joke, play another song with what seemed like very fake energy. Repeat. Travis Barker played a drum solo and that was badass! Redeemed the band for sure but overall it was bad.

Good transactions with: Juggernaut, Daavvt, gbsmusic, reverymike, zewango, Ancient Alien, RACKSYSTEMS, moltenmetalburn, lolzgreg, tlingen, Chris O, guitarded_1, Findthetone, King Guitar, dual lead, axegod8185, dooredge, OUTLAW1969, mniel8195, Dale B, Crunchtime

PostPosted: Sat, May 23, 2020 5:49pm 
Immortal Rock God

Van Halen Monster of Rock 1988 Kingdom. They might have been too intoxicated to perform. Ed wasn't on and Sammy was embarrassing bad.
I have seen them other times when they were good.
Madonna Who's that Girl was a considerably better performance at the same venue around the same time. I was working lights at the Madonna show.

The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

PostPosted: Sat, May 23, 2020 5:51pm 
Immortal Rock God

danyeo wrote:
One of the worst sounding was Whitesnake with Vai and Vandenburg. Sounded like they were playing through a giant pillow, everything was muffled, sounded like shit. And all the gay prancing around onstage was just a bit much. When Sykes left he took the sound of the band with him.

I saw that tour... completely right about the prancing. That and the spinning around. It was awful.

The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

PostPosted: Sat, May 23, 2020 5:56pm 
The Monster of Tone

Metallica at ACL. Fucking horrible awful sound. Boomy mush.

GUITARS:
Ken Lawrence Explorer w/Ziricote top & ebony fingerboard
ESP Custom Explorer

PostPosted: Sat, May 23, 2020 6:02pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I don’t go to many big shows anymore due to $$$

Slayer in 2001 - just bad. Must’ve been an off night but the band had almost zero energy and Tom’s vocals were REALLY bad.

Dream Theater 2009 - music was on point but damn the show sucked. Every member of the band was just staring at their instrument and playing. No movement or crowd interaction. James Labrie was HORRIBLE live and had zero charisma. They should’ve just put the CD on

Worst “Smaller” show
Katatonia - loudest, most ear piercing / ice pick guitar sound live I’ve ever experienced. Really disappointing. Sound guy must’ve been on a smoke break for their entire set or something because damn it sounded horrible.

PostPosted: Sat, May 23, 2020 7:28pm 
Apprentice NOOB

Warrant, circa 1990.

I have no idea why I went, but it was shit. Utter, utter shit.

PostPosted: Sat, May 23, 2020 7:36pm 
Supah Stah

romanianreaper wrote:
With the quarantine, figured I'd get a random conversation rolling to see what comes up. LOL

Mine was Bon Jovi in Hawaii in 2010. My daughter actually fell asleep in her chair. The only thing that woke her was when "Living on a Prayer" came on and she heard the talk box. It was like seeing Neil Diamond or something, boring as hell.

Richie Sambora was still with them and the stage setup pissed me off from the first song. It was Jon out front (obviously) and then Richie was back a ways with a bit less light on him and then the rest of the band was setup like a backup band for Frank Sinatra or something with low lighting. I started listening to Bon Jovi with 7800 Fahrenheit and the other guys were on that album. Annoyed me so much to see them back like that.

…..fuck that "slippery when gay band"

PostPosted: Sat, May 23, 2020 8:08pm 
Plank Cranker

Pearl Jam at the Forum in (I think) '98. They took themselves sooooo serious, to the point of boredom. We left 1/2way through their set to avoid sleeping. X opened up and were fking great!

http://www.reverbnation.com/ultramunx

PostPosted: Sat, May 23, 2020 8:16pm 
Rock God

okay...being as I've worked in 2 Rock/Music Venue for 8 years, and seen damn near maybe 3000 shows, I had to think for awhile. Not all of these are rock of course...Country, Hip Hop, EDM, Metal, Indie, seen a ton.

As far as rock, the one that comes to mind is Scott Weiland. Hands down train wreck. There were maybe 50 people there. This was like 2-3 weeks before he died. His management were selling meet and greets for $200, which I knew was gonna be a tough sell just walking into work that night. Band was cool...very nice and respectful. Scott didn't hang out afterwards, band did and I talked with them quite a bit. But onstage it was just crushing to witness.

PostPosted: Sat, May 23, 2020 8:25pm 
Supah Stah

RaceU4her wrote:
romanianreaper wrote:

LOL, sorry definitely wasn't a jab at Neil. In fact, I feel sorry that Neil has to even be lumped in with that Bon Jovi show. LOL

PostPosted: Sat, May 23, 2020 8:30pm 
Supah Stah

aside wrote:
Warrant, circa 1990.

I have no idea why I went, but it was shit. Utter, utter shit.

You went because that's where the down boys go (shout Go!!). :)

One of my favorite bands is Metallica. I saw them on the Black Album tour and Hardwired tour. Both times it just wasn't inspiring and the sound was mediocre. Sucks because my friend and I wanted, in his words, our faces torn off.

Some of the best shows I've seen were unexpected. Cinderella opening for AC/DC in 88'/89' was unreal. Faith No More in a small club called the Boathouse in the early 90s. Those are the best ones, where you don't know what to expect and it just hits you.

PostPosted: Sat, May 23, 2020 11:20pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

UltraGary wrote:
Pearl Jam at the Forum in (I think) '98. They took themselves sooooo serious, to the point of boredom. We left 1/2way through their set to avoid sleeping. X opened up and were fking great!

They suck anyway, so I'm not surprised....commie rock.

PostPosted: Sat, May 23, 2020 11:29pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I saw Marlyn Manson do a co-headlining tour with Alice Cooper. Alice was great! Manson was atrocious. I thought maybe he was drunk?

TC Electronic BG250
(2) Randall RM100's

Salvation MTS mods- Rockerverb, Mesa Mark IV, CCV, Framus Cobra, Friedman Dirty Shirley
Kemper

Peace & ZEN

PostPosted: Sun, May 24, 2020 12:01am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

RaceU4her wrote:
romanianreaper wrote:

I went to a Neil Diamond concert about 12 years ago. He walked off the stage, up and down the aisles and was actually singing.

:)

PostPosted: Sun, May 24, 2020 6:49am 
Plank Cranker

spacebard wrote:
Manowar, boring as hell

my ex guitar teacher was their guitarists until he got caught with child porn about a year and a half ago. When I was getting his info I asked what band did he play for and he said Manowar. I almost cancelled right then. I remember seeing Manowar ads in magazines when I was a kid. I thought they were some brutal band and then when I first heard them I was immediately not a fan.

Karl was a really knowledgable guitarist and after awhile I considered him a friend but child porn is something I cant be understanding of or forgiving about so that was the end of my lessons for awhile. Finding out that the person you are going over to their house weekly for guitar lessons got busted for child porn from Blabbermouth was a shitty feeling. Especially since I found out months after the arrest and had lessons since then. It definitely fucked up my trust in to going to a private house for lessons. You really never know what someone is up to.

On another note.
I saw Neil Diamond a few years ago. I got tickets as kind of a "fuck it I dont have anything else to do". I really enjoyed it man. I didnt realize how many songs he wrote that I actually liked. He was putting on a pretty good show and there were a ton of chicks there. Like surprisingly good looking ones not just a bunch of blue haired ladies.

2204 Black Sun modded

PostPosted: Sun, May 24, 2020 8:16am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Worst and most bizarre for me...two years ago, my boss invited me and my wife to see Ann Wilson at a small baseball field near Cincinnati. He thought Ann was the blonde guitarist in Heart and was so confused when she came on stage looking fat with black hair. Her show was AWFUL. Very uncomfortable stage banter about making love, hugging each other, weird Frank Sinatra renditions of Heart songs. We left - as did a lot of the audience after 40~45 minutes.

PostPosted: Sun, May 24, 2020 10:24am 
Supah Stah

I hate to say it because I love the band but years back, Black Label Society opened for Priest on a tour and they blew them off of the stage, literally. Could have just been a bad show for Halford and co. that night but after seeing them many times previously, it just wasn’t very good.

PostPosted: Sun, May 24, 2020 1:34pm 

skynerd....wv state fair. years ago. absolute garbage. played maybe 30 minutes. people actually booed them, myself included.

PostPosted: Sun, May 24, 2020 2:17pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Sadly 2004 VH w/Sammy at the AAC in Dallas. Ed was at his low point. It was terrible and I left early.

(I will say best was VH 1984 tour)

Romans 9:16
http://www.youtube.com/user/iamrondodson
Bogner 20th XTCb, Synergy Syn50, Fender Deluxe Reverb, BOSS Katana 100 Combo
Bogner 2x12 Non-OS (SB M75-65), Bogner Ported 1x12 (SB M75-100), Bogner Ported 1x12 (SB H75-65)
Fender CS '52 Tele, Fender CS '54 60th Anniversary Heavy Relic Strat, Gibson CustShop '64 SG, Charvel Employee Dinky Mutt, Charvel ProMod, several partscasters

PostPosted: Sun, May 24, 2020 3:09pm 
Supah Stah

ClintN667 wrote:
spacebard wrote:
Manowar, boring as hell

my ex guitar teacher was their guitarists until he got caught with child porn about a year and a half ago. When I was getting his info I asked what band did he play for and he said Manowar. I almost cancelled right then. I remember seeing Manowar ads in magazines when I was a kid. I thought they were some brutal band and then when I first heard them I was immediately not a fan.

I remember years ago when that drummer from Judas Priest got busted for some child molestation or porn thing. The new drummer is way better anyway but still sucks.

PostPosted: Sun, May 24, 2020 3:44pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

romanianreaper wrote:

One of my favorite bands is Metallica. I saw them on the Black Album tour and Hardwired tour. Both times it just wasn't inspiring and the sound was mediocre. Sucks because my friend and I wanted, in his words, our faces torn off.

i saw them at giant stadium with Slipknot, Slayer and a bunch others... they did not sound very good especially after those bands.

PostPosted: Sun, May 24, 2020 4:17pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

alan67 wrote:
Ozzy around 91-92 in Hawaii - came out and did like 3 songs, sounded like crap, left the stage and Aldridge did like a 20 minute drum solo- came back out and made some utterances on top of the music for awhile and called it a night....it blew

Tommy Aldridge in Ozzy's band in 91-92 ... I think you are getting your drummers mixed up

PostPosted: Mon, May 25, 2020 8:12am 
Plank Cranker

The Black Keys at Bluesfest, sometime around 2013? The sound was god awful, you know it's bad when there aren't many guys on stage but the entire crowd is chanting "turn it up, turn it up." My best friend was so pissed he actually left mid set, lol. I held out hoping it would get fixed, but nope. It seemed like either the sound crew or the festival crew were probably to blame, but who knows. Not sure if I'll bother going to see them anymore anyway, I've kind of lost interest...

A runner up was Cradle of Filth at Rockfest in 2016 or so. Man, that singer sounded so f**king annoying. I couldn't fathom how people could voluntarily listen to that sh*t. Pretty rare for me to say that about a metal band, because I usually don't care (being focused on the guitar and drums), but that was like having a turd shoved in your ear, lol.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon, May 25, 2020 9:06am 
Plank Cranker

sytharnia1560 wrote:
alan67 wrote:

Tommy Aldridge in Ozzy's band in 91-92 ... I think you are getting your drummers mixed up

I guess I didn't care enough to even remember. So who was it?

PostPosted: Mon, May 25, 2020 9:13am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

The worst was Y&T with Mamma’s Boys and Lita Ford opening for them. It was at the Eagle’s Club in Milwaukee, sometime around 1987-88. The wife went with me and we had to leave a couple songs into Y&T’s set as it was way beyond loud, it was unbearable. I’d been going to concerts for 10 years by then and that was the first time I walked out of a band I wanted to see.

We saw Boston when Michael Sweet was in the band. When they kept the songs under 6-8 minutes it was good, unfortunately they thought it was the 1970’s and every song became a jam session. People were walking out in the middle of their set as though the show was over, we almost made to the end.....

Being a seasoned metalhead I don’t really get into screamo, it’s just not my thing. Suicide silence opened for Megadeth (I think), and while I did not care for the music it was one of the funniest shows I’ve ever seen. The singer/screamer had this look on his face, I swear all he kept screaming is “Hurry up, I gotta take a sh*t!” :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Mon, May 25, 2020 10:31am 
Supah Stah

sytharnia1560 wrote:
alan67 wrote:

Yeah, that timeframe would have been Randy Castillo

PostPosted: Mon, May 25, 2020 10:32am 
Supah Stah

VH4_BigRig wrote:
Pretty rare for me to say that about a metal band, because I usually don't care (being focused on the guitar and drums), but that was like having a turd shoved in your ear, lol.

Cheers!

:lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Mon, May 25, 2020 11:28am 
Plank Cranker

In a rock context -

Metallica twice. Once on one of the shed tours and once on the tour where the stage was in the middle...I honestly don't remember the years. Maybe the first one was '94 ish and the second time '97. Terrible both times although the production was cool the second time I saw them.