Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Wed, Jul 08, 2020 1:59am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 29, 2020 3:45pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Are you human?: 951
I suppose the American Idol guy works, but Marc Martel just nails Freddie's vocals. As close as you can get anyway. Marc tracked some vocals for the Queen movie, so why not take him on-tour? I wouldn't go see Queen with Adam Lambert, but I would if Marc Martel were fronting the band. The Queen cover band w/Marc Martel sounds more like Queen than Queen w/Adam Lambert. WTF sense does that make? If the music is for the fans... why wouldn't you want to recreate the most authentic Queen experience possible?

I'd like to hear Marc cover Brad Delp. :yes:

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 29, 2020 5:25pm 
Hack

I agree.

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 29, 2020 6:16pm 

100 percent agree.
I had the opportunity to see Marc and his band live.
Freaking killer!! :rock:
Screw lambert. :lol: :LOL:

And think about it. Marc is the guy that sang on the Bohemian Rhapsody movie. Not lambert.

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 29, 2020 6:32pm 

I deliver mail to the concert hall he preformed at. I am pretty close with the office girls seeing them daily. They had a giant marquee outside the theater. I asked if no one wanted it could I have it?
I got tons of things like this hanging on my jam/band area.
This thing is HUGE!!!
I want to say 3 foot wide and 4 feet long.
One of a kind having the date of the show.
What a hook up and yes!’ If your a queen fan. And you get the chance to see this guy.
Amazing. :rock:

Attachment:
E7E3F0B4-6BBF-456C-B075-A42612C1C342.jpeg
E7E3F0B4-6BBF-456C-B075-A42612C1C342.jpeg [ 29.15 KiB | Viewed 1010 times ]

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 29, 2020 6:55pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Mailman1971 wrote:
I deliver mail to the concert hall he preformed at. I am pretty close with the office girls seeing them daily. They had a giant marquee outside the theater. I asked if no one wanted it could I have it?
I got tons of things like this hanging on my jam/band area.
This thing is HUGE!!!
I want to say 3 foot wide and 4 feet long.
One of a kind having the date of the show.
What a hook up and yes!’ If your a queen fan. And you get the chance to see this guy.
Amazing. :rock:

Attachment:
E7E3F0B4-6BBF-456C-B075-A42612C1C342.jpeg

:rock:

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 29, 2020 9:56pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Yup, Mark's in a different league musically too, and thoroughly deserves the gig IMHO.

Perhaps it's just a matter of time?

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 29, 2020 10:02pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

NOT! Nobody, not anybody can replace Freddie. That would be like the little fester hanger-on Arnel Pineda replacing Stephen Ray.

But WTF! He's a damn good Christian Ventriloquistucian right, not little homulus fester for clarity.

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 29, 2020 10:05pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

If they wanna continue to make money on top of the ongoing royalty checks they need someone to front the band 'though.

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 29, 2020 10:47pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Monkey Man wrote:
If they wanna continue to make money on top of the ongoing royalty checks they need someone to front the band 'though.

:poke: :)

:inlove:

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 29, 2020 11:11pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

:lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 30, 2020 10:17am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Lambert is a great singer. Having a complete Freddie clone come in instead might not sit well with a lot of folks

|Alexander, Effectrode, Pigtronix, and Wampler FX|

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 30, 2020 12:17pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

From what I have heard, when Marc was working on the Queen movie (he actually did vocals for some of it) they said it was really difficult for the band sometimes because he sounded SO much like him. Roger Taylor even said if he closed his eyes, it was like Freddie was in the room. I have a feeling it's kind of an emotional thing for them.

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 30, 2020 12:18pm 
Apprentice NOOB

Martel isn't as gay looking at Lambert, not enough for the liberals.

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 30, 2020 12:56pm 
Hack

Picasso wrote:

Cheers! :rawk:

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 30, 2020 1:01pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Picasso wrote:

Friend, do you mean or are you implying Mr. Martel's Lips and Dentons aren't right and he doesn't drool enough and have a speech impediment? Really, it's just a silly thought on the behalf of all the down trodden minority Chihuahwahsizz. :(

Only Freddie baby can sing SHA-STC - correctly.

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 30, 2020 1:39pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Picasso wrote:

That's sort-of what I was thinking. Adam Lambert is a darling of the LGBTQ crowd, which makes him the perfect conduit (pun intended) to the modern family audience. IMO, this is not only exploitation of the brand, but the artistry of Freddie Mercury. If Freddie had a say in the matter, I think he would want to hear the best possible rendition of himself. Not only does Marc Martel complement the music, he's also a multi-instrumentalist. Exactly the kind of person Freddie would have wanted to work with. Just my opinion...

The key thing here, is loss of authorship. When Freddie died, Queen died with him - period! Regardless of who fronts the band, they will always be a Queen cover band, featuring Brian May and Roger Taylor. I say, make it the most authentic sounding "Queen" possible.

Last edited by Goat on Tue, Jun 30, 2020 1:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 30, 2020 1:48pm 
Hack

Goat wrote:
Picasso wrote:

That's sort-of what I was thinking. Adam Lambert is a darling of the LGBTQ crowd, which makes him the perfect conduit (pun intended) to the modern family audience. IMO, this is not only exploitation of the brand, but the artistry of Freddie Mercury. If Freddie had a say in the matter, I think he would want to hear the best possible rendition of himself. Not only does Marc Martel complement the music, he's also a multi-instrumentalist. Exactly the kind of person Freddie would have wanted to work with. Just my opinion...

The key thing here, is the loss of authorship. Let's face it... when Freddie died, Queen died with him. Regardless of who fronts the band, they will always be a Queen cover band, featuring Brian May and Roger Taylor. I say, make it the most authentic sounding Queen possible.

Once again, I agree 100%.

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 30, 2020 2:06pm 
Plank Cranker

Devin wrote:
Lambert is a great singer. Having a complete Freddie clone come in instead might not sit well with a lot of folks

^THIS^
They're already treading very close to being a tribute band to themselves. Lambert doing the gig in his own flamboyant way at least gives credibility to them carrying on. Martel would just be doing a Freddie impersonation.

http://www.reverbnation.com/ultramunx

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 30, 2020 2:31pm 
Hack

UltraGary wrote:
Devin wrote:

^THIS^
They're already treading very close to being a tribute band to themselves. Lambert doing the gig in his own flamboyant way at least gives credibility to them carrying on. Martel would just be doing a Freddie impersonation.

Recognising this a VERY subjective matter, to me with Lambert they're a coverband whilst having Martel they'd be a tribute band.

I would rather hear Queen in a live setting as close as it could be to the original thing because it is the voice that ultimately takes me there. For me Martel would give Queen & the fans further & greater life. Journey are getting away with it & I feel Martel would be a better fit than Arniel.

YMMV of course and all good.

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 30, 2020 3:08pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

UltraGary wrote:
Devin wrote:

^THIS^

Without Freddie, any incarnation of Queen is a tribute band. IMO, Adam Lambert discredits both the brand, and the artistry of Freddie Mercury. Martel would hardly be an inpersonation of Freddie. Singing like someone does not make one an impersonator. Impressionist? Maybe.

Marc Martel's vocals were good enough to recreate Freddie vocals for their movie, but he's too much like Freddie to front Queen? Bullshit! If I were Marc Martel, I'd tell Brian May and Roger Taylor to piss-off! They have Marc Martel fronting their Queen Extravaganza project; which pads their bank accounts nicely, I'm sure. Marc Martel should dump Brain May and Roger Taylor, and start his own tribute band. At least it would sound like Queen. I can't say the same for the Queen w/Adam Lambert clown show.

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 30, 2020 9:49pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

UltraGary wrote:
Devin wrote:

^THIS^

:cry: :) :D

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 30, 2020 10:49pm 
Plank Cranker

Goat wrote:
UltraGary wrote:
Devin wrote:

^THIS^

Without Freddie, any incarnation of Queen is a tribute band. IMO, Adam Lambert discredits both the brand, and the artistry of Freddie Mercury. Martel would hardly be an inpersonation of Freddie. Singing like someone does not make one an impersonator. Impressionist? Maybe.

Marc Martel's vocals were good enough to recreate Freddie vocals for their movie, but he's too much like Freddie to front Queen? Bullshit! If I were Marc Martel, I'd tell Brian May and Roger Taylor to piss-off! They have Marc Martel fronting their Queen Extravaganza project; which pads their bank accounts nicely, I'm sure. Marc Martel should dump Brain May and Roger Taylor, and start his own tribute band. At least it would sound like Queen. I can't say the same for the Queen w/Adam Lambert clown show.

I agree with you that ANY incarnation on Queen without Freddie comes off as a Queen tribute band. That said, I think Lambert gives them at least a hint of a chance at doing something 'new', which brings a FEELING anything playing with a near exact replica of Freddie could bring for Brian & Roger. (and their feelings of this probably weigh in heavy on any of this nonsense even happening anyways)

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 30, 2020 11:38pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

UltraGary wrote:
I agree with you that ANY incarnation on Queen without Freddie comes off as a Queen tribute band. That said, I think Lambert gives them at least a hint of a chance at doing something 'new', which brings a FEELING anything playing with a near exact replica of Freddie could bring for Brian & Roger. (and their feelings of this probably weigh in heavy on any of this nonsense even happening anyways)

Exactly. Today's liberal audience sees Adam Lambert as an LGBTQ comrade, I'm sure.

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 01, 2020 12:54am 
Plank Cranker

Goat wrote:
UltraGary wrote:

Exactly. Today's liberal audience sees Adam Lambert as an LGBTQ comrade, I'm sure.

I'd suggest checking your views on LGBTQ BS at the door when discussing a band as important as Queen. I'm keeping the focus on Lambert vs Martel frontman/vocal ability here. Involving political/social-judgement nonsense just confuses things.

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 01, 2020 6:57am 
Apprentice NOOB

UltraGary wrote:
I'd suggest checking your views on LGBTQ BS at the door when discussing a band as important as Queen. I'm keeping the focus on Lambert vs Martel frontman/vocal ability here. Involving political/social-judgement nonsense just confuses things.

If Martel dressed and pranced around like Liberace, he would be in the band.

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 01, 2020 7:11am 
Hack

Picasso wrote:
UltraGary wrote:

If Martel dressed and pranced around like Liberace, he would be in the band.

Sadly I can see some truth to this.

The minorities are now running the world which is fucked.

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 01, 2020 7:30am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

UltraGary wrote:
I'd suggest checking your views on LGBTQ BS at the door when discussing a band as important as Queen.

There is no Queen, idiot. Once a band loses its authorship, it ceases to exist. I doubt the LGBTQ community would take kindly to your "bullshit" reference.

UltraGary wrote:
I'm keeping the focus on Lambert vs Martel frontman/vocal ability here.

There's nothing to discuss. Lambert is a glorified karoke singer, and a darning of the LGBTQ crowd. My comment stands.

UltraGary wrote:
Involving political/social-judgement nonsense just confuses things.

Only if you're easily confused.

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 01, 2020 8:44am 
Plank Cranker

I'm honored you took the time to split my short comment into 3 things for you to spout off on. :lol: :LOL: I knew you spend more time arguing nonsense in the OffTopics section of this gear page then playing or discussing gear when I spoke up on this one, but being a huge Queen fan I felt the need to try to help you out.

It seems I understand Brian & Roger's choice and you continue to (like so many other topics here not involving music gear) have a problem with it. At least we both agree they're just a tribute band without Freddie either way, so that's cool.

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 01, 2020 8:51am 

Not just with lambert and martel ......
Can you imagine Brian Johnson filling in for Bon Scott???
Which I love both them to death. That was huge.

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 01, 2020 9:23am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

UltraGary wrote:
I'm honored you took the time to split my short comment into 3 things for you to spout off on. :lol: :LOL: I knew you spend more time arguing nonsense in the OffTopics section of this gear page then playing or discussing gear when I spoke up on this one, but being a huge Queen fan I felt the need to try to help you out.

It seems I understand Brian & Roger's choice and you continue to (like so many other topics here not involving music gear) have a problem with it. At least we both agree they're just a tribute band without Freddie either way, so that's cool.

I go to other forums to talk gear and music. Rig-Talk status as a "hair band" only forum is fairly well-known. I don't like most of that stuff, which leaves little in the way of conversation. Since I'm not into Soldano, Bogner, Cameron, Splawn, Diezel, or any of the other high-gain monstrosities released in the last 30 years, I have little to add. I enjoy watching DIY projects; as long as it's not a vintage Marshall Super Lead being put under the knife.

On Marc Martel... Marc says that his in-studio performance for the remaining members of Queen created a visible visceral reaction in Brain and Roger. Maybe it's just too much for them, I don't know? What I do know, is Adam Lambert has no business performing on a Queen stage.

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 04, 2020 2:40pm 
Journeyman NOOB

I don't think Marc sounds all that much like Freddie. Don't get me wrong, he is not a bad singer, but he sounds more like a caricature of Freddie. Not a very flattering one at that. He has to work way too hard for it and it just sounds unnatural. I suspect that's why he lacks power, and sings kinda square and stilted while doing Freddie material. I appreciate his vocals more when he sings more naturally.

It's almost comical to watch the Killer Queen clip. You can clearly hear how he switches between trying to imitate Freddie and his own voice. The latter sounds much better to me.

I also think Adam Lambert is a fantastic singer and performer, and does a great job with Queen. Paul Rodgers also did a good job and made it work with his voice, even if it was very different to the source material.

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 05, 2020 9:39am 

Clone or not. Saw him live. One the best concerts I’ve seen.
Would not pay money to see lambert. :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 05, 2020 9:54am 
Apprentice NOOB

Mailman1971 wrote:
Clone or not. Saw him live. One the best concerts I’ve seen.
Would not pay money to see lambert. :lol: :LOL:

Now you are just being downright thilly...

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 05, 2020 11:03am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

guitarnerdswe wrote:
I don't think Marc sounds all that much like Freddie. Don't get me wrong, he is not a bad singer, but he sounds more like a caricature of Freddie. Not a very flattering one at that. He has to work way too hard for it and it just sounds unnatural. I suspect that's why he lacks power, and sings kinda square and stilted while doing Freddie material. I appreciate his vocals more when he sings more naturally.

It's almost comical to watch the Killer Queen clip. You can clearly hear how he switches between trying to imitate Freddie and his own voice. The latter sounds much better to me.

I also think Adam Lambert is a fantastic singer and performer, and does a great job with Queen. Paul Rodgers also did a good job and made it work with his voice, even if it was very different to the source material.

:loco:

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 05, 2020 1:26pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Goat wrote:
guitarnerdswe wrote:

I'm secretly in love with Adam Lambert. I'm also secretly Adam Lambert :lol: :LOL:

On a more serious note, wouldn't it be cool if there where audio challenges where one would try and spot the original singer or a copycat? It could even be extended to guitar players.

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 05, 2020 1:35pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

guitarnerdswe wrote:
Goat wrote:
guitarnerdswe wrote:

I'm secretly in love with Adam Lambert. I'm also secretly Adam Lambert :lol: :LOL:

On a more serious note, wouldn't it be cool if there where audio challenges where one would try and spot the original singer or a copycat? It could even be extended to guitar players.

The copycat guitar player thing is a great idea!

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 05, 2020 4:00pm 

The Marc Martell concert was great.

Easy to laugh at on the computer. He ruled the stage.
He wasn’t trying to be Freddie. It was just great. :rock: