Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Tue, Nov 19, 2019 3:49am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Kitchen appliances
PostPosted: Sat, Jul 04, 2009 3:25pm 
Egnater Amplification

Odd question but stay with me. So I am at Macy's the other day waiting for my wife. I'm checking out the small appliances. Coffee/expresso makers, food processors etc. etc. Lot's of cool fancy stuff, if you're into that sort of thing. Prices from $69 to $999. See the list of brands below. Which of these would you consider ti be quality brands with a good reputation?

Kenrig
Kitchenaid
Black & Decker
Nexpresso
Cuisinart
Krups
DeLonghi
Bella Kucina
Breville
Waring

Post subject: Re: Kitchen appliances
PostPosted: Sat, Jul 04, 2009 4:52pm 
Rock God

bruce egnater wrote:
Odd question but stay with me. So I am at Macy's the other day waiting for my wife. I'm checking out the small appliances. Coffee/expresso makers, food processors etc. etc. Lot's of cool fancy stuff, if you're into that sort of thing. Prices from $69 to $999. See the list of brands below. Which of these would you consider ti be quality brands with a good reputation?

Kenrig
Kitchenaid
Black & Decker
Nexpresso
Cuisinart
Krups
DeLonghi
Bella Kucina
Breville
Waring

:lol: :LOL: Have had a cuisinart coffee maker for years and has never let me down and I paid 50 bucks for :thumbsup: The only real appliance I need has got your last name on it buddy!!!! :lol: :LOL:

Good deals with(aeroic,Brad King,Buckeyedog,Chris R,Dallas Marlow,droptrd,Dropped_2_C,EWSEthan,fatb0y,guitarslinger,Greazygeo,Jeff Hilligan,Inearthed,jski59,JKD,mfred,MotorCityPickUps,O'Rourke,racerevlon,raysus,rlord1974,studio289,RockStarNick,Seitz333,steve_k,tomx56,valverec,VoodooChild24)

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 04, 2009 5:10pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

bruce egnater wrote:

Kenrig
Kitchenaid
Black & Decker
Nexpresso
Cuisinart
Krups
DeLonghi
Bella Kucina
Breville
Waring

Krups makes really good coffee makers- I have used them. Got a black and Decker Power drill that I have used for years. Don't think it makes very good coffee, though.

You mean you do things other than make great amps?! Geez- How weird is that?!

;) ;) :D :D :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :doh: :doh: :rock: :rock:

Custom Classic Maple V-Neck Stratocaster
Antique Natural 335
2005 Les Paul Standard
2003 American Ash Special Fender Telecaster
Martin D Carpathian Custom
Taylor 314ce
Mesa 5:50 1x12 combo
Mesa 5:25 Express Plus Head
Dr. Z 2x12 cabinet
Roland Octacapture
Fender Mexican Jazz Bass
Eventide H9
Pigtronix Mothership
Boss Slicer

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 04, 2009 5:13pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

jmgman69 wrote:
bruce egnater wrote:

Kenrig
Kitchenaid
Black & Decker
Nexpresso
Cuisinart
Krups
DeLonghi
Bella Kucina
Breville
Waring

:lol: :LOL: Have had a cuisinart coffee maker for years and has never let me down and I paid 50 bucks for :thumbsup: The only real appliance I need has got your last name on it buddy!!!! :lol: :LOL:

There's an idea- The next amp should have an extra channel that does the dishes and makes coffee! :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

Bruce- You had to know we were gonna run with this one, right? We can't help it- Us tone chasers are a little weird, you know...

:scared: :scared: :confused: :confused: :cry: :cry: :D :D

Antique Natural 335
2005 Les Paul Standard
Taylor 314ce
Dr. Z 2x12 cabinet
Roland Octacapture
Fender Mexican Jazz Bass
Eventide H9
Pigtronix Mothership
Boss Slicer

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 04, 2009 11:49pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I like my Cuisinart. Makes a good cup and seems to last, built well I guess.

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 05, 2009 12:01am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Best. Thread. Ever. :lol: :LOL: I was completely expecting this to relate to amps in some way. Hilarious.

Anyway, from that list the best (of the brands that Ive heard of) are probably Kitchenaid, Cuisinart, Krups, and DeLonghi (probably in that order).

But honestly, the best coffee you can make will come from a french press and it will cost you max $30. Its a pain in the ass to make, but its so much better than drip.

Suhr 2x12 w/ Scumback M75s
Suhr 1x12 w/ Scumback M75
Suhr Standard (DSH+/V60LP/DSV), Suhr Standard (SSH+/SSV), Suhr Classic T, Pierro La Cabronita, Fender Richie Kotzen Telecaster, 1997 Fender Strat (Suhr V60LPs), 2002 Gibson LP Standard, 2007 Gibson Billie Joe Armstrong LP Jr, 2009 Taylor 414CE Spring LTD

>>> A Clean Getaway >>>
Click Here to Buy the Debut EP Grounded at iTunes!
Preview Music at MySpace

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 05, 2009 2:31am 
Apprentice NOOB

Kitchenaid is the Egnater of Kitchen Mixers ....Solid Solid quality with a million ways to tweak it with Modular add on attachments. This was our #1 wedding gift from my wife's parents! :)

Seriosuly.. Kitchenaid is the only appliance you leave out on the counter to show off..... :)

For Cuisinart see this wonderfullllll Spaceballs CLip at 40 seconds in ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogbGLV8QR58

rig- Wood Violins 6 string Viper, Gibson Es-335, a 25 module synthesizers.com modular synth, 5 or so moogerfoogers, Egnater 4100, and soon to be egnater 2x12 cab

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 05, 2009 2:32am 
Apprentice NOOB

"best coffee... will come from a french press "

but you have to have a grinder that can get you the size grind, and you have to drink quickly :)

rig- Wood Violins 6 string Viper, Gibson Es-335, a 25 module synthesizers.com modular synth, 5 or so moogerfoogers, Egnater 4100, and soon to be egnater 2x12 cab

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 05, 2009 4:13am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Are you human?: 951

Last edited by studio289 on Fri, Jan 28, 2011 1:29am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 05, 2009 5:41am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Hey Bruce!

I've worked in the coffee trade for 7 years now, and although i'm in the uk, i'll try and give you a rough idea. If you want shop stardard machine, you'd have to spend over £1000 ($1500). But for a good home expresso machine, look around the £100-£300 range. You don't need a massive water tank, especially if it's just for you and your wife. Say 1 litre is fine! All espresso machines usually have the same bar pressure so you don't need to worry about that. I've not heard of some of the brands you mentioned (might be just the us/uk divide!), but delonghi are quite good, but it's more of a have a look before you buy because some parts can feel cheap, look like they might break easilly, which most likely, they will!

But two good brands i can recommend from personal experience are Gaggia - http://www.gaggia.com/index.asp, and Bialetti - http://www.bialetti.com/BialettiUSA.htm. Both of which might be a bit pricier but high quailty and make great espresso!

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 05, 2009 6:43am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

If I replace the pre-amp tubes on my amp with a good coffee maker, does that mean I will get the right kind of "grind" in the sound?

Sorry... couldn't help it...

:no: :aww: :scared: :confused: :cry: :doh:

Antique Natural 335
2005 Les Paul Standard
Taylor 314ce
Dr. Z 2x12 cabinet
Roland Octacapture
Fender Mexican Jazz Bass
Eventide H9
Pigtronix Mothership
Boss Slicer

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 05, 2009 7:13am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

blueburl wrote:

but you have to have a grinder that can get you the size grind, and you have to drink quickly :)

... and you have to have young kidneys that don't mind filtering out the "dreck". It leaves a lot of sediment for the old body to deal with. Prefer mine dripped, but then again ... I'm F'ing old so what do I know? :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 05, 2009 7:16am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

EWSEthan wrote:
Best. Thread. Ever. :lol: :LOL: I was completely expecting this to relate to amps in some way.

Actually I think it does, or more specifically the marketing of products of which Bruce makes amps. I think in my mind there are number of products that Bruce has listed. They range wildly in price and his intent is to see whether that price to product reputation and origin of it's manufacturing are a factor in our buying deccision. Of course it may just be way to early in the morning and I'm blowing smoke up y'all's @zz.

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 05, 2009 7:32am 
Rock God

if the intended coffee maker has a built in grinder, ask to HEAR it in action first.

if it sounds weak, it IS weak.

The programmable cuisinart with the burr grinder was the suck. Had to take it back to bed bath and beyond after like a week.

the programmable cuisinart with the standard grinder has loads of power and works great.

either way, they're all hit or miss. online reviews might be the way to go. I just use a French press now. easy to clean and tastes better too. :rock:

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 05, 2009 7:52am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

blueburl wrote:
Kitchenaid is the Egnater of Kitchen Mixers....

And Black & Decker is the Peavey. :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 05, 2009 8:35am 
Egnater Amplification

So many are considered quality brands. Can you guess what country every one of them is made in??

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 05, 2009 8:38am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Bruce,
Great thread, lots of really good advice. I don't know what the best coffee maker is, but the best coffee I've every bought was Dunkin Donuts regular. Really. Dunkin Donuts! Try it.

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 05, 2009 9:54am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

bruce egnater wrote:
So many are considered quality brands. Can you guess what country every one of them is made in??

I wondered if you were doing a test.

If I can snatch the pebble from your hand, does that mean I have to leave? ;)

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 05, 2009 10:10am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

3 Mile Stone wrote:
EWSEthan wrote:
Best. Thread. Ever. :lol: :LOL: I was completely expecting this to relate to amps in some way.

Actually I think it does, or more specifically the marketing of products of which Bruce makes amps. I think in my mind there are number of products that Bruce has listed. They range wildly in price and his intent is to see whether that price to product reputation and origin of it's manufacturing are a factor in our buying deccision. Of course it may just be way to early in the morning and I'm blowing smoke up y'all's @zz.

Nice answer, grasshopper... :lol: :LOL: Totally agree.

My comparative response is in the Egnater Seminar amps. Bruce makes 'em and they bring top dollar. A seminar attendee makes one and it brings drastically less $$. Interesting...

FWIW, I wouldn't NOT try/buy a Egnater that was Made in China, it's just that I don't have to because I have what I like already.

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 05, 2009 10:25am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

bruce egnater wrote:

I am guessing it's China. Point well made sir.

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 05, 2009 10:34am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

3 Mile Stone wrote:
blueburl wrote:

... and you have to have young kidneys that don't mind filtering out the "dreck". It leaves a lot of sediment for the old body to deal with. Prefer mine dripped, but then again ... I'm F'ing old so what do I know? :lol: :LOL:

Interesting. I hadnt though about that. Is it really a health concern?

Suhr 2x12 w/ Scumback M75s
Suhr 1x12 w/ Scumback M75
Suhr Standard (DSH+/V60LP/DSV), Suhr Standard (SSH+/SSV), Suhr Classic T, Pierro La Cabronita, Fender Richie Kotzen Telecaster, 1997 Fender Strat (Suhr V60LPs), 2002 Gibson LP Standard, 2007 Gibson Billie Joe Armstrong LP Jr, 2009 Taylor 414CE Spring LTD

>>> A Clean Getaway >>>
Click Here to Buy the Debut EP Grounded at iTunes!
Preview Music at MySpace

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 05, 2009 10:44am 
Apprentice NOOB

BTW. Kitchen aid is only top f the line (to my knowlege) on their stand mixers w/. a gazillion attachments... might be too big for you!

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 05, 2009 10:45am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

3 Mile Stone wrote:
bruce egnater wrote:

I am guessing it's China. Point well made sir.

The same place the amps are made if it is correct!

;) :D

Antique Natural 335
2005 Les Paul Standard
Taylor 314ce
Dr. Z 2x12 cabinet
Roland Octacapture
Fender Mexican Jazz Bass
Eventide H9
Pigtronix Mothership
Boss Slicer

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 05, 2009 12:30pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

bruce egnater wrote:

So this really isn't about the best coffee makers at all. Boy am I naive. Good point Bruce.

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 05, 2009 2:49pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

EWSEthan wrote:
3 Mile Stone wrote:
blueburl wrote:

Interesting. I hadnt though about that. Is it really a health concern?

I don't know like medically whether a doctor would confirm that, but my internal filters are a little sensitive so really I can't hang with it. My kidney's will be hurting for sure. Look at the bottom of your cup after it settles and cools off. Lots of particulates down there in the bottom of the cup.

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 05, 2009 6:16pm 
Rock God

Hmmm Id buy (and have) Japan and usa made Ibanez and luv them but wont buy any Ibanez from other countries ie China, Korea, Indonesia ect. Dont like the lack of quality. They do sound and feel different. Im an American and would pay a few more dollars for an American made product if it is made well, along with British Marshall amps, Vox, fenders, Mesa's. Its not that they dont make great products but its nice to see a Made in USA sticker on something when I buy something. American Pride and supporting America.

Depends also on the technology. Samsung for LCD tv's. Some effects made in china like Ibanez. Boss Japan are all fine.

Good deals Ref with viewtopic.php?f=19&t=44053 Updated 6/2/11

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 06, 2009 12:44am 
Rock God Trainee

coffee makers there is one choice- the Keurig, it will change your coffee life!

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 06, 2009 7:22am 
Rock God

crankyrayhanky wrote:
coffee makers there is one choice- the Keurig, it will change your coffee life!

Is it made in Detroit Mich.? :lol: :LOL:

Good deals with(aeroic,Brad King,Buckeyedog,Chris R,Dallas Marlow,droptrd,Dropped_2_C,EWSEthan,fatb0y,guitarslinger,Greazygeo,Jeff Hilligan,Inearthed,jski59,JKD,mfred,MotorCityPickUps,O'Rourke,racerevlon,raysus,rlord1974,studio289,RockStarNick,Seitz333,steve_k,tomx56,valverec,VoodooChild24)

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 06, 2009 7:35am 
Rock God

Reading my own post again, I'm proud to say I didn't get schooled, and my total snobbery radiantly showed through.

"either way, they're all hit or miss. online reviews might be the way to go. I just use a French press now. easy to clean and tastes better too. :rock:"

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 06, 2009 7:57am 
Apprentice NOOB

bruce egnater wrote:

very nice thread indeed!

for espresso go the italian way :-D

bialetti, delonghi, gaggia ;)

--
Music man Luke, Silhouette special
Fractalaudio Axe-FX Standard
TT-cab 2x12 REXpro
Rocktron Midimate pedalboard, Ernie Ball Volume pedal, Fender Tuner pedal

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 06, 2009 10:46am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I've had a Delonghi for the last 3 years. Paid $50 for it on evilBay. I only clean it, and give it no real maintenance. Still going strong.

I don't know where it's made. But really, who cares? It's only a $50 coffee maker! If it were a $500 coffee maker... Then I'd prefer Italian! -Danny :)

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 06, 2009 5:51pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I'm ll about my Cuisinart Burr Grind and Brew Coffee maker. There's just something about freshly ground coffee, with no fuss. Puts Starbucks to shame!!!

Amp and Racks
Egnater M4 (Xman, VX, EG5, COD), Mesa Boogie Mark III Blue Stripe, Gerlitz Revelator Dual amp 2x12 combo
Lexicon MPXG2, Boss CE-5 (analog version), Boss DM-2, Budda Bud Wah, Homebrew CPR, Baber LTD, Line 6 DL4
and T.Miranda Rotor Phase

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 06, 2009 8:19pm 
Supah Stah

Krups
DeLonghi

If you want a real espresso machine, look at makers like:

Gaggia, La Pavoni, Saeco, Solis, Pasquini (their stuff is primo, but you will pay for it!), Briel, Ariete. You will not find these at Macys'!

This is my wife's area:
For cooking, look at Le Cornue, AGA, or Gaggenau. Our next house will have either Le Cornue or Gaggenau. Gaggenau has a steam oven that is perfect for seafood, especially crab or lobster, so that's my vote. Definitely, not available at Macy's.

There are so many boteek brands out there, you need to do your homework to find the best fit for your needs IMO. ;) Very synonymous with gear, Macy's is like going to Guitar Center, when most of us would rather go to Tone Merchants. :lol: :LOL:

rsm
bass, guitar, keyboards, Push

Rickenbacker | Steinberger | Boss | Roland
Using digital and solid state by choice.

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 07, 2009 4:35am 
Hack

Hi Bruce,
since there is no modular system for coffee machines yet , I recommend the Bezzera BZ 35

http://www.g.bezzera.it/home_ing.html

We have that one in our guitar shop for 10 years now and this is the quality you are looking for. built like a tank. Our machine runs 8 hrs/day 6 days/week. Perfect espresso.

I don´t know if you can buy them in the US but you will find some italian store near you I bet.

My 2cts

Mick

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 07, 2009 6:33am 
Rock God

mboogman wrote:
I'm ll about my Cuisinart Burr Grind and Brew Coffee maker. There's just something about freshly ground coffee, with no fuss. Puts Starbucks to shame!!!

Wow, that thing seriously had the weakest motor of any item I've ever owned.

After the first one died, I took it back to B, B, & B.

They made me exchange for another one. I get it back home, and this "new" one has a wet filter filled with old, wet coffee grounds. nice. I wonder how many of these had been returned multiple times.

worst coffee maker in the world. (tasted good when it worked though)

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 08, 2009 7:18am 
Egnater Amplification

Looks like you fellas missed the point. My Braun plastic POS drip maker works fine for me. I know that may be tacky but I am definitely not a connisseur of coffee. I do like Caribou better than Starbucks though....but I also like Sovtek 5881 power tubes. Hope this doesn't move me down a wrung on the latter.

"COUNTRY OF ORIGIN"

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 08, 2009 8:14am 
Supah Stah

So moral of the story: If it works, and works for you, use it. And don't discriminate based on price, brand or country of origin.

I wouldn't be a bit suprised if half of the coffee makers on that list are coming out of the same factory, let alone country.

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 08, 2009 8:38am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

bruce egnater wrote:
...but I also like Sovtek 5881 power tubes. Hope this doesn't move me down a wrung on the latter.

"COUNTRY OF ORIGIN"

Not with me, but you might want to check your ban status at TGP. ;)

I bought your preamp because of indecision. I wanted a great Fender clean, Plexi-type sound and a Soldano SLO-ish tone all in one box. When I was buying, I did not care that if it was made in the US, China, or Antarctica--"If it sounds good, it is good." (EVH)

However, since I joined this forum and Huge Racks, my tastes have been "tweaked" in the sense that, from now on, I only want to buy gear from companies that have exceptional customer service, such as Egnater, Suhr, etc. It's not so much of a "gear snob" mentality as it is (1) confidence in the products and the company's stance in backing them, (2) helping out "the little guy" compared to Marshall, Fender, etc., and (3) getting something different from the norm.

I'm not a guy that bugs and is a pest to companies I buy from (that I know of), or a guy that fawns all over them, but it is sure nice to know that help is so readily available if I need it from you guys. Because of that, customer service has become just as important to me as the gear I own.

Now if you asked me, quality-wise, whether geographical location plays a role in the construction of tube guitar amplifiers, I would say I don't know. Part of me wants to say yes because between the US and China, I percieve the US to be vastly superior in the art of building custom guitar amplifiers. But if you stuck two amps in front of me and told me to pick the one I like, and it was Chinese, I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up because it was made in China. However, I would second guess the customer service...

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 08, 2009 8:44am 
Apprentice NOOB

When my wife and I got married last August, we got a whole bunch of gift cards from Williams and Sonoma ... about $2000 worth. She already has every kitchen appliance imaginable, so we bought a Capresso Z5 espresso machine from Switzerland ... you know, the ridiculously expensive one that grinds the beans, foams the milk right into the cappuccino, all you have to do is put the cup there and hit the button.

I could not believe we spent that much on a coffee machine until we did the math and figured out we were both dropping about $8 a day at Starbucks ... that's $5840 a year (we both drink frou frou espresso drinks, not straight coffee, so something like a French press wasn't really an option).

Now I can't stand to taste that sweetened syrupy swill from Starbucks.

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 09, 2009 4:34am 
Hack

vjd3 wrote:
When my wife and I got married last August, we got a whole bunch of gift cards from Williams and Sonoma ... about $2000 worth. She already has every kitchen appliance imaginable, so we bought a Capresso Z5 espresso machine from Switzerland ... you know, the ridiculously expensive one that grinds the beans, foams the milk right into the cappuccino, all you have to do is put the cup there and hit the button.

I could not believe we spent that much on a coffee machine until we did the math and figured out we were both dropping about $8 a day at Starbucks ... that's $5840 a year (we both drink frou frou espresso drinks, not straight coffee, so something like a French press wasn't really an option).

Exactly why I got one!!! :rock:

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 09, 2009 8:45am 
Apprentice NOOB

bruce egnater wrote:

I would guess China but they could be made in Vietnam or India as well... :confused:

http://www.misterkite.com/

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 09, 2009 10:53am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

bruce egnater wrote:

Kenrig
Kitchenaid
Black & Decker
Nexpresso
Cuisinart
Krups
DeLonghi
Bella Kucina
Breville
Waring

Coffee? Rebuilt Black and Stainless Bunn Commercial = $75 purchased ten years ago and still making 3 gallons of coffee per hour, each pot ready in about 4 minutes. (I hate waiting in the morning)

Espresso? Faema used between $500-$1500 and will make more espresso than you could drink in a lifetime without failing. :rock:

Jimmie

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 19, 2009 1:33am 
Hack

yeah Have had a cuisinart coffee maker for years and has never let me down and I paid 50 bucks for..The alone absolute apparatus I charge has got your endure name on it buddy...

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 21, 2009 5:29pm 
Apprentice NOOB

marco70_italy wrote:
bruce egnater wrote:

very nice thread indeed!

for espresso go the italian way :-D

bialetti, delonghi, gaggia ;)

As an Italian-Canadian with Chinese inlaws who drives around in a Swedish-designed car that is made in Japan and backed by a warranty from a bankrupt American company:

IMHO, where a product is made does not necessarily reflect quality (just like price and brand aren't necessarily indicative of quality). Part of the reason Chinese and Indonesian-made goods, and to a lesser degree Korean and Japanese-made goods, get a bad wrap is because, for purely economic reasons, products that are designed by a company (regardless of where the company or its designers are located) to be a 'cheap, not-so-high quality' product are manufactured there (because they can't afford to manufacture the product elsewhere). I.e., they are not lesser-quality because they were manufactured in those countries - they are lesser quality because they were designed to be lesser quality, and given the cost structure of the product it would not be possible to manufacture them in, for example, any country with high manufacturing costs. That said, in countries like Canada many products simply can't be manufactured here regardless of cost/quality - since, especially in the West, we don't have a workforce that is willing to do manufacturing jobs.

In the long term, I suspect that as the manufacturing capacity in high-wage countries is reduced and the manufacturing capabilities/skill/experience increases in countries like China, they will be able to tackle high-end mass-produced products as well as or better than anywhere else, and always at a lower cost, such that high-, low-, and medium-quality/cost products will be made in the same place, and it will really just become a matter of design (including how much resources are spent on quality assurances, parts/materials, etc.). I think the 'local, boutique, 'hand-made by the designer' cottage industries will continue, but I doubt that we will see the same amount of mid/higher-quality mass produced products being manufactured in US/EU or even Japan. Industries like auto are proving that they've survived this long only due to mucking with free trade and the maintenance of protectionist measures (but my sympathies to any of you who were laid-off recently . . . ), and that it's simply not sustainable to maintain such scale of manufacturing in these countries (i.e., people aren't going to continue to pay a higher price for same/inferior products just because of where they were manufactured). I'm not suggesting that such trade measures are inherently wrong and/or that countries have no legitimate interest in maintaining domestic production of goods - just that the realities of changing workforces is impacting manufacturing capabilities and costs.

There will always be exceptions though - like how the best hockey players will always come from Canada. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 22, 2009 12:28am 
Apprentice NOOB

vjd3 wrote:

I hear ya. We bought a $1500 Saeco automatic (designed by a Swiss engineer for an Italian company). The counter says we've made 5000 drinks. Even if we conservatively say we saved $1 per drink compared to buying $2.25 americanos, it has WAY MORE than paid for itself, and now I don't need to wait until 8:30 for my caffeine - I can press one button and have it in my veins by 7:10am . . .

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 22, 2009 8:48am 
Journeyman NOOB

I too am a Saeco user. I am as snobby about coffee as I am amps haha. Same reason I love my MOD 50 I love my Saeco Talea. Drip coffee is for the birds. No other country uses that method for coffee as much as the USA. Best way is to pull a long coffee through a good automatic espresso machine like a Saeco Talea or Giro. On the on the cheap though I have a Keurig single cup brewer at my desk here at work. Solid cup for what it is. Beats the crap out of drip makers and comes to like .37 cents a cup. Anyhoo this thread is hilarious.

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 22, 2009 10:15pm 
Apprentice NOOB

I think the perfect way to start a day

and since this is a guitar forum here is one I donated the labels for :rock:

"My demonic powers have made me.....OMNIPOTENT! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 23, 2009 7:30am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I like speedway coffee--24 oz., black ;)

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 16, 2013 2:45pm 
Hack

Try checking for some reviews here:

http://www.minifridge24.com/

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 25, 2019 3:26am 
Hack

I have Nespresso, it is a really good coffee maker. I love it.