Friedman Vintage Amp Line

I thought he said only the MV was similar to the SL68.

He called it a "sonic clone of my '68 Plexi" which implies it's got circuit tweaks for performance enhancement (noise reduction/etc) and then he listed a few features like MV/variac/etc.

I would expect to see some update on this series at the NAMM show coming up. On Tone-Talk Dave mentioned they were going and there will or may be new products announced then. I am guessing the 50 watt plexi (not sure how different it would be than a Smallbox 50) and what I surmised would be power amp solution for the IRX.

I would expect to see some update on this series at the NAMM show coming up. On Tone-Talk Dave mentioned they were going and there will or may be new products announced then. I am guessing the 50 watt plexi (not sure how different it would be than a Smallbox 50) and what I surmised would be power amp solution for the IRX.
Friedman has no plans on going to NAMM

Friedman has no plans on going to NAMM
I would say you are wrong.

IMG_2448.png

I wonder if this amp will make it to the Dallas Guitar Show in May.
That's where I got the Smallbox, a loooooong time ago.

Such a great time to be a guitar player, equipment wise. We'd have killed for these 40 years ago.
40 years ago you could get a real ‘68 small box for less than this amp, even adjusting for dollar values. If anything, I’d kill to go back 40 years to scoop up some classic, read deal guitars, amps and FX for cheap. You be in time to get the IIC+ when it was just what you ordered new from Boogie.

40 years ago you could get a real ‘68 small box for less than this amp, even adjusting for dollar values. If anything, I’d kill to go back 40 years to scoop up some classic, read deal guitars, amps and FX for cheap. You be in time to get the IIC+ when it was just what you ordered new from Boogie.

I almost bought a 2C+ when they first came out, but not sure I'd have bonded, always been a Marshall guy. Plus back then, the secret to dialing it in wasn't well known.... I'd have hated that process. Add to that, I sold a 2c+ not long ago and bought a III blue stripe, which I like better, and now I know how to mod it so I can keep the bass up on the clean channel and have the gain channel tight, which I did. 40 years ago it would have driven me nuts that there was no setting at which both channels sounded good.

Even though you're right about a 68 SB, Dave's will be better built, more consistent, and have a few features (variac, etc) the Marshall didn't....

I've played through and worked on a lot of vintage Marshalls, they are highly inconsistent. Some are awesome, some are meh.

I almost bought a 2C+ when they first came out, but not sure I'd have bonded, always been a Marshall guy. Plus back then, the secret to dialing it in wasn't well known.... I'd have hated that process. Add to that, I sold a 2c+ not long ago and bought a III blue stripe, which I like better, and now I know how to mod it so I can keep the bass up on the clean channel and have the gain channel tight, which I did. 40 years ago it would have driven me nuts that there was no setting at which both channels sounded good.

Even though you're right about a 68 SB, Dave's will be better built, more consistent, and have a few features (variac, etc) the Marshall didn't....

I've played through and worked on a lot of vintage Marshalls, they are highly inconsistent. Some are awesome, some are meh.
If you knew the Fender tone stack back then, you could dial in a Boogie easily. Also there’s plenty of killer recordings from the 80’s with Mark Boogies so it wasn’t so “secret”. You say you modded your MkIII now. You could have had a decent tech mod it back then too.
Every emulation and sim now is trying to give you authentic sounds from 40 and plus years ago. I’d rather be back there using the real stuff, when it was easily found and afforded and also getting to actually turn it up at a gig to a crowd that isn’t on their phone.

If you knew the Fender tone stack back then, you could dial in a Boogie easily. Also there’s plenty of killer recordings from the 80’s with Mark Boogies so it wasn’t so “secret”. You say you modded your MkIII now. You could have had a decent tech mod it back then too.
Every emulation and sim now is trying to give you authentic sounds from 40 and plus years ago. I’d rather be back there using the real stuff, when it was easily found and afforded and also getting to actually turn it up at a gig to a crowd that isn’t on their phone.

Were you around then? Techs who really knew how to properly mod a tube amp were rare, and if you could find one, it took forever..

That's the primary reason I learned to do it.

Fender tone stack FEEDING several more gain stages isn't intuitive for most to this day. Hence the millions of posts on boogies being difficult to dial in. Back then, it only existed on mesa and dumble. If you spent time playing a cranked to hell bassman, then you had some idea, but even 40 years ago, that kind of volume was frowned upon in most clubs.

Back