Jp2c or mark VII?

JackBootedThug

MURDERATOR
Opinions? Thoughts? Experience? I have been lusting after the Jp since it dropped. Now we have the latest mark….honestly I really have not heard much about the mark…what do the homies have to say about these?

I guess it depends on whether you like the Mark IIC+ and Petrucci sound enough to get a JP2C, or want something that offers a lot of variety like the Mark VII.

I haven't tried either, only used to own a Mark V:25, and that was a small iron amp. But I've been wanting a JP2C for some time myself, hoping the prices drop now that the Mark VII is around.

I've owned and played both side by side. You really can't go wrong with either one. I still have my JP2C as I couldn't justify keeping the VII 1x12 combo vs just getting a 1x12 for the JP2C head. That said I'll probably pick up another VII eventually as it is a great amp. VII is more versatile, JP2C does that exact Petrucci thing a little better IMHO.

I also think the VII fixed the "never quire sounded right no matter what I did" thing the Mark V had going on when I had one of those for a while. The V was good but not great, the VII is just great all the way around.

I had a MK V and the JP2c. I currently own the MK VII.
I kept the MK V about a year. Too many useless (to me) modes. Had the JP2c about a year as well. Basically a dead- clean mode. You could slightly dirty it up but it's made for clean. The other two channels were identical. Yes, it has 2 EQ's but there is no in-between sounds, like crunch.
I found it boxy sounding as well.
On to the MK VII. This is the first Mesa Mark I've owned where it didn't NEED the EQ to get a great tone. It says in the manual the MK VII mode doesn't need the EQ, and I agree. The Clean and Crunch are excellent. The MK VII mode is killer. The 2B+ Mode is killer.
The real party is w/ the 2C+ and MK IV modes. To be honest I haven't taken off the 2C+ mode. Addictive. Again, I've been playing it without the EQ.

I got the horizontal 2X12 w/ V-30's soon after. Killer amp.

1694204680090.jpeg

Mark IV :cool:

You can't go wrong with either. The VII is a V that is easier to dial in. The IV mode on it is virtually identical to a IV with presence pulled and mid gain on, and the C+ mode is tighter and crunchier than the JP.

The JP is tricky, it's very guitar and cab dependent like the V. It can go from amazing to ass really quickly when swapping cabs. If you have a good match though it'll be killer. I have my buddies Bogner front loaded 4X12 right now and that works really well with the JP.

Mark IV :cool:

You can't go wrong with either. The VII is a V that is easier to dial in. The IV mode on it is virtually identical to a IV with presence pulled and mid gain on, and the C+ mode is tighter and crunchier than the JP.

The JP is tricky, it's very guitar and cab dependent like the V. It can go from amazing to ass really quickly when swapping cabs. If you have a good match though it'll be killer. I have my buddies Bogner front loaded 4X12 right now and that works really well with the JP.
Man would I like one!

Don't have a JP2C but have owned a V and now a VII, I can say that I feel the VII is a massive improvement over the v and a absolutely fantastic amp. I prefer it over the mark III+ red stripe that I had owned.

I don't have any personal experience. That said, a few guys I spoke with that went from the JP to the Mark VII told me that they really missed the "shred mode" on the JP.

Back