The Definitive Yngwie Malmsteen Strat Thread, Pix & Video

Anyone swapped in a 5-way pup switch for the SD YJM set? If yes, then how do they work in Your opinion? Interested if the positions 2 and 4 would provide better clean tones.
Not exactly the same as what you're asking about but I do have a YJM Fury bridge and neck pickup in my MIM Strat, with the stock CTS pots, 5-way switch, and the stock middle (wanted the YJM middle but could only afford to buy the 2 pickups). It sounds really good in those positions for clean and bluesy stuff.

Anyone swapped in a 5-way pup switch for the SD YJM set? If yes, then how do they work in Your opinion? Interested if the positions 2 and 4 would provide better clean tones.
I did this. Position 2 and 4 do have a great clean sound and pretty good for soloing too. I’m not much of a positive 2 and 4 player, so don’t use too much. But I think they can get that fender sound. I think all 5 positions sounds great but I’m not good adjectives describing, sorry. But I can say I enjoy playing it.

I have a late 80’s Yngwie in sonic blue that was all original and I really like the SD YJM set but didn’t want to mess up the original pickguard. I also wanted to just have 1 Vol 1Tone with the volume knob down away from the bridge pickup and out of the way.

So I bought the YJM set, a pickguard and all the parts and built a new pickguard with a 5-way switch.

Not exactly the same as what you're asking about but I do have a YJM Fury bridge and neck pickup in my MIM Strat, with the stock CTS pots, 5-way switch, and the stock middle (wanted the YJM middle but could only afford to buy the 2 pickups). It sounds really good in those positions for clean and bluesy stuff.
I did this. Position 2 and 4 do have a great clean sound and pretty good for soloing too. I’m not much of a positive 2 and 4 player, so don’t use too much. But I think they can get that fender sound. I think all 5 positions sounds great but I’m not good adjectives describing, sorry. But I can say I enjoy playing it.

I have a late 80’s Yngwie in sonic blue that was all original and I really like the SD YJM set but didn’t want to mess up the original pickguard. I also wanted to just have 1 Vol 1Tone with the volume knob down away from the bridge pickup and out of the way.

So I bought the YJM set, a pickguard and all the parts and built a new pickguard with a 5-way switch.

Thanks for the comments! I’ll solder in the switch later this week if I have time. 👍

If you get the "Signature" YJM Pickguard it comes with a 5 way switch for some reason and gives you all those traditional in between positions.

I put these Kluson Locking Tuners which were direct replacements.

1709759190588.jpeg

1709759247299.jpeg

How do You like these tuners, Carl? I get the Strat out of tune when doing big bends but the tuning gets back to normal after making a trem dive. Do these locking tuners make that Strat ”feature” go away? I tried Yngwie’s signature string set and I think the bullet ends kept the guitar in tune better after bigger bends.

How do You like these tuners, Carl? I get the Strat out of tune when doing big bends but the tuning gets back to normal after making a trem dive. Do these locking tuners make that Strat ”feature” go away? I tried Yngwie’s signature string set and I think the bullet ends kept the guitar in tune better after bigger bends.
I always found locking tuners help a little with tuning stability. I've never found them to be a huge problem solver. I'm sure they help a little.
All my other guitars have locking tuners. I find them to be a convenience when changing strings.
I use the Fender Yngwie Bullet set on mine as well.
The split-shaft tuners the Yngwie came with are ok, but these are just better and locking. The gear ratio and feel are much better.
Plus, I put them on myself! No tech required.

I always found locking tuners help a little with tuning stability. I've never found them to be a huge problem solver. I'm sure they help a little.
All my other guitars have locking tuners. I find them to be a convenience when changing strings.
I use the Fender Yngwie Bullet set on mine as well.
The split-shaft tuners the Yngwie came with are ok, but these are just better and locking. The gear ratio and feel are much better.
Plus, I put them on myself! No tech required.

Great info, Carl, thanks! Yes, I do all the guitar part swapping, soldering, amp biasing etc myself. Someday I’ll learn how to level frets. 👍

Ordered a new YJM Strat with a rosewood board last night from Thomann as a birthday gift for myself and it should be here on Friday! I haven’t seen these as in-stock in many European stores during the time it has been listed at Fender site.

…and the guitar is waiting for return. Case had multiple holes in the tolex, the one big side screw was half loose, there was a thick nail popping out thru the tolex at one top end of the guitar case. The guitar itself had too steeply angled frets so the high-E was falling off the fretboard basically directly at frets 5-7 and the fret ends had not been rounded at all. On top of this the fretboard edges were ripped and dented and fretboard had tooling marks all over. Wondering what has happened to Fender? This guitar costs 2666€.

Last edited:
…and the guitar is waiting for return. Case had multiple holes in the tolex, the one big side screw was half loose, there was a thick nail popping out thru the tolex at one top end of the guitar case. The guitar itself had too steeply angled frets so the high-E was falling off the fretboard basically directly at frets 5-7 and the fret ends had not been rounded at all. On top of this the fretboard edges were ripped and dented and fretboard had tooling marks all over. Wondering what has happened to at Fender? This guitar costs 2666€.
Sorry to read that! That really sucks. Hope you receive your refund soon and get to jam on a suitable replacement ASAP. These are my favorite guitars (I have two). Just read that it was new, hard to understand how that could happen from the factory. I don't keep up on Fender QC issues, but II beat my two up pretty badly and they hold up and play amazing. I bought them used, too.

Sorry to read that! That really sucks. Hope you receive your refund soon and get to jam on a suitable replacement ASAP. These are my favorite guitars (I have two). Just read that it was new, hard to understand how that could happen from the factory. I don't keep up on Fender QC issues, but II beat my two up pretty badly and they hold up and play amazing. I bought them used, too.

The thing is that these are sold out basically everywhere in Europe. :/

…and the guitar is waiting for return. Case had multiple holes in the tolex, the one big side screw was half loose, there was a thick nail popping out thru the tolex at one top end of the guitar case. The guitar itself had too steeply angled frets so the high-E was falling off the fretboard basically directly at frets 5-7 and the fret ends had not been rounded at all. On top of this the fretboard edges were ripped and dented and fretboard had tooling marks all over. Wondering what has happened to Fender? This guitar costs 2666€.
Wow, that's insane! I can't believe QC has dropped that far! I mean even the vendor should look at these things before they ship it? Hopefully it all works out! My newest YJM is a 2016 currently and with all the issues I've heard about them since then, I wouldn't be inclined to get any of the new ones outside of the US Custom Shop, or maybe the Japanese YJM!

Wow, that's insane! I can't believe QC has dropped that far! I mean even the vendor should look at these things before they ship it? Hopefully it all works out! My newest YJM is a 2016 currently and with all the issues I've heard about them since then, I wouldn't be inclined to get any of the new ones outside of the US Custom Shop, or maybe the Japanese YJM!

My 2020 YJM is incredible. I was really not expecting this… Tried to buy this via my local salesguy but these are not available for order at the moment.

Back