The Definitive Yngwie Malmsteen Strat Thread, Pix & Video

Apologies for the delay! If you know how to set guitars up well you can get whichever neck you like. Why not make things easier and simply buy a loaded YJM pickguard instead?
Thanks. A few months back, I was able to pick up a YJM neck/loaded body off STratosphere. I decided to stay true to the original and stick with
the scalloped neck. It's been working out really well. I am finding that the adjustment to a scalloped neck isn't what I was making it out to be.

PLAY LOUD!!

New to the forum today. Because last night--after spending faaarrr too many hours on Sweetwater, Reverb, Guitar Center, etc, etc--I went to the Fender site, took advantage of their 10% for something--and bought a shiny new vintage white "Yngwie Malmsteen Stratocaster". Other than the trademark symbol, that's the entire exact name. Model # 0107112841. I've no clue what I bought--apart from the 3 Sym Dunc pickups. I have a similar combination in my Mexico made Strat. Apart from his obv talent, the reason I bought it was the 900 lb gorilla in every Malmsteen discussion--the fretboard. It's saved my life, at least as far as guitar goes. No matter how closely I cut my nails, the nail bed still extends far out past the nail edge. There is zero--zero--chance of any human building up that much callous. Whatever gene that is that builds those nice, rounded fingertips, I missed it. So, I cut scallops into a twin neck Fretwire kit a few years ago and--viola. As someone once said about scalloped necks--you're playing on air. Literally. You never have to touch the fretboard, obv. And for those of us who can't use the tips of our fingers (at least for guitars) it's the only thing that I've found that works. It seems kinda weird to me that I've never seen that reason for a scallop cut fretboard anywhere. I guess everyone else is blessed with more Hendrix-like DNA.

I think the discussion page is amazing. I've learned everything I know about them here. But it's tough to chase the older models if you know zip about them. At some point, however, I'll expand my "collection". Not like you maniacs, but within reason. Maybe 2 or 3. 4, maybe. 5.

Thanks. A few months back, I was able to pick up a YJM neck/loaded body off STratosphere. I decided to stay true to the original and stick with
the scalloped neck. It's been working out really well. I am finding that the adjustment to a scalloped neck isn't what I was making it out to be.

PLAY LOUD!!
Yup! just like any other neck! I haven't had any scalloped board specific problems or challenges.

New to the forum today. Because last night--after spending faaarrr too many hours on Sweetwater, Reverb, Guitar Center, etc, etc--I went to the Fender site, took advantage of their 10% for something--and bought a shiny new vintage white "Yngwie Malmsteen Stratocaster". Other than the trademark symbol, that's the entire exact name. Model # 0107112841. I've no clue what I bought--apart from the 3 Sym Dunc pickups. I have a similar combination in my Mexico made Strat. Apart from his obv talent, the reason I bought it was the 900 lb gorilla in every Malmsteen discussion--the fretboard. It's saved my life, at least as far as guitar goes. No matter how closely I cut my nails, the nail bed still extends far out past the nail edge. There is zero--zero--chance of any human building up that much callous. Whatever gene that is that builds those nice, rounded fingertips, I missed it. So, I cut scallops into a twin neck Fretwire kit a few years ago and--viola. As someone once said about scalloped necks--you're playing on air. Literally. You never have to touch the fretboard, obv. And for those of us who can't use the tips of our fingers (at least for guitars) it's the only thing that I've found that works. It seems kinda weird to me that I've never seen that reason for a scallop cut fretboard anywhere. I guess everyone else is blessed with more Hendrix-like DNA.

I think the discussion page is amazing. I've learned everything I know about them here. But it's tough to chase the older models if you know zip about them. At some point, however, I'll expand my "collection". Not like you maniacs, but within reason. Maybe 2 or 3. 4, maybe. 5.
Glad you're enjoying your YJM! I had never heard of that particular challenge with fingertips!

I have this arriving today (out for delivery) from Ishibashi Music Japan. The description says it’s a 1991, but when I look up the serial number it says 1989. Either way, I’m excited to get it. I used this thread (have had it bookmarked) as reference when I was shopping for one. Extremely helpful!!

ty5eojiztesyfoml6r8l.jpg

Hi all! new to the malmsteen fold. Got this one I'm trying to figure out. It has a mix of features which make it hard to pinpoint what this model exactly is.

3 way switch
large head stock with all the logos
8 hole single ply white pick guard
dimarzio neck and bridge. middle unbranded
4 hole neck plate
White yellow (Olympic white?)
SZ6...... serial number on the headstock, so I guess 2000+6 which makes it 2006?
No other mentions of "made in..."

What could you tell me about this model? thx!

Attachments

• 20230425_201721.jpg
    20230425_201721.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 57
  • 20230425_201739~01.jpg
    20230425_201739~01.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 53
  • 20230425_201819~01.jpg
    20230425_201819~01.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 55
  • 20230425_202118.jpg
    20230425_202118.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Hi all! new to the malmsteen fold. Got this one I'm trying to figure out. It has a mix of features which make it hard to pinpoint what this model exactly is.

3 way switch
large head stock with all the logos
8 hole single ply white pick guard
dimarzio neck and bridge. middle unbranded
4 hole neck plate
White yellow (Olympic white?)
SZ6...... serial number on the headstock, so I guess 2000+6 which makes it 2006?
No other mentions of "made in..."

What could you tell me about this model? thx!
That's a USA from 2006 with a pickguard from the 1st generation. You'll find extra holes under the pickguard for the next generation, unless it's a first gen body with an 06 neck!

I have this arriving today (out for delivery) from Ishibashi Music Japan. The description says it’s a 1991, but when I look up the serial number it says 1989. Either way, I’m excited to get it. I used this thread (have had it bookmarked) as reference when I was shopping for one. Extremely helpful!!

ty5eojiztesyfoml6r8l.jpg
This looks so bad ass. The neck makes it.

ty5eojiztesyfoml6r8l.jpg
How did it turn out?

Anyone tested the newly re-introduced rosewood board versions? I bought the maple board one couple of years ago and my other guitars have been collecting dust ever since... I would buy another maple board version if they offered it in candy apple red. 😁

Back