11s... And there is no way back.

kasperjensen

I changed to 11 gauge on my PRS and it made a huge difference. Mostly to how it plays. And I have some long sessions with that guitar now.

Yesterday I got the LP bug when I saw that 54 video, so cleaned up and restringed my LP (10's). MAN did it feel wrong. So light and flimsy.

Went back to the PRS and all was normal again. Those minor 3rd bends on the top e around 7/9 fret do require a bit of commitment though.

So... 11s it is from now on. Aaahh, it's a better tone anyway! :rock:

Went through a phase where that's all I played. Now I prefer 10s again on my LP. On one guitar I've been using the EB Hybrid Slinky set (9-46) and it feels and sounds great!

glad it worked out for you =0 get that PRS sounding/playing as it should

I'm actually considering 9 - 46 down from 10s for standard tuning...but nawww i shall resist =)

I was up to 13-56 standard tuning on my Suhr Moderns. Doing 5 sets a night, 3-4 nights a week. I'm back down to 10-46 on my Luxxtone and Tyler. Really I can adjust to either. For rhythms the heavier gauge is cool, but I can't help thinking that no major artist uses 13s, or even 12s. So I might be hurting my arm long term, so I dropped down. Just precautionary really.

Shark Diver":1865149l said:
I was up to 13-56 standard tuning on my Suhr Moderns. Doing 5 sets a night, 3-4 nights a week. I'm back down to 10-46 on my Luxxtone and Tyler. Really I can adjust to either. For rhythms the heavier gauge is cool, but I can't help thinking that no major artist uses 13s, or even 12s. So I might be hurting my arm long term, so I dropped down. Just precautionary really.

I seem to remember readin that SRV used 12s? Maybe even 13s?

yeah but he was down.a hwlf step

I have a set of 11 on one of my guitars

But that one is tuned a down.a full step

Shark Diver":39gxxhu9 said:

I tried one of your Moderns with 13s back in the OC Tone Merchant days...literally uplayable for me :LOL: :LOL:

I have hand issues, so I stick with my girly 9s :D

I use 11s on all my guitars, both strats and lespaul/explorer. Standard tuning btw.

10s are really comfortable too, but 11s sound better and the bends feel better to me, so I don't let my left hand get sloppy using 10s. 11s feel great

kasperjensen":7edajqba said:
Shark Diver":7edajqba said:

I seem to remember readin that SRV used 12s? Maybe even 13s?

I have read several times that wasn't a regular thing. Either way that's one guy. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

jcj":7edajqba said:
I tried one of your Moderns with 13s back in the OC Tone Merchant days...literally uplayable for me :LOL: :LOL:

You probably still played it better than I did/do. :)

Back